how to get pee smell out of the mattress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD peed her "new to her" bed...not even 15 minutes after getting it set up. Figures..she's been dry for naps FOREVER...and now this lol

Anyway, I put a bit of Apple cider vinigar on the spot....

waiting for my little wet vac to charge up, in the reservoir there's a bakingsoda/water solution...

Will that be enough? I dont know where to get bac-out. And I dont want the smell to linger giving her the subconcious signal of "It's ok to pee here" (which is what happened with BIL...he kept peeing the bed till he was 12...and stopped when they changed the mattress)
#2 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 PM

I don't know where you are, but maybe your local co-op or natural foods store carries Bac Out. This stuff works!

I think vinegar will do the trick, though, if you can't get your hands on any Bac Out. Vinegar has always worked for me in getting up pet odors (which are usually much worse than kid odors!!).

Good luck - isn't Murphey's Law wonderful?!?!?!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#3 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 PM

Check this thread out - don't use apple cider vinegar, there's enough sugars and mother bacteria in it to ferment and cause problems in your mattress - use white vinegar.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=518004
#4 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_rain
I don't know where you are, but maybe your local co-op or natural foods store carries Bac Out. This stuff works!

I think vinegar will do the trick, though, if you can't get your hands on any Bac Out. Vinegar has always worked for me in getting up pet odors (which are usually much worse than kid odors!!).

Good luck - isn't Murphey's Law wonderful?!?!?!
No kidding. I live in a pretty natural minded town. It's just Sunday and DH is on call right now so he can't leave the house. But it's ok. the ACV should do the trick. Mom said that's what she used when I peed the bed.

I think I'll use the temptation of getting her to pick out her new bed set come pay day (Right now we're just using a Queen flat sheet tucked under everything) If she stays dry every night till then. We still have her in pullups at night, so it *might* work as a reward. The bed aint too fancy but it's better than the toddler bed for her...
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica
Check this thread out - don't use apple cider vinegar, there's enough sugars and mother bacteria in it to ferment and cause problems in your mattress - use white vinegar.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=518004
Oops. Already used it...I didn't pour pour it anyway...I just blotted it on with a cloth since the pee didn't go all the way into the mattress. Soaked her clothes soaked two blankets and just sort of moistened the top of the mattress...
#6 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 10:44 PM

I don't think it's all that 'natural' but I remember MIL saying that she used Borax whenever that happened in their house. She's so freakin' anal about things being spotless and clean enough to literally eat off of that if it didn't work, I have no doubt that she would have burned the matress in the backyard.
#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM

spray some regular white vinegar on it, then let it air dry as much as possible. If you have to sleep on it, then put a towel under your sheets, the let it air dry again the next day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page