Bushel of tomatoes to use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to a local organic farmer, and he sold my friend and I 1 1/2 bushels of tomatoes for $10 that we picked ourselves (we gave him $16 because we went around dusk and were picking after dark.) I need some ideas of what to do with them. I'm making homemade tomato sauce for spaghetti, which I've only ever made with canned tomatoes (any advice on this would be appreciated) and my friend is making salsa, but we have so many tomatoes that I was looking for more ideas (we're going to be going back in about 2 weeks to see what else they'll let us pick.) I'm so excited!!!
#2 of 6 Old 09-14-2006, 05:23 AM

I believe it is always best to turn to religion at our time of specific food excess.

WWABD?

What would Alton Brown do.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20175,00.html

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 6 Old 09-14-2006, 10:45 AM

MmMMMm, lycopene city! Great for anemia too (yes, I am anemic now and have developed 'tomatophagia' as a result.... )

Anyway, you can make wonderful things with tomatoes.

- Tomato basil chunky soup (you can add plain yogurt for creaminess)
- Chicken cacciatore
- Tomato chutney, can accompany any roasted chicken dishes
- Stuffed/baked tomatoes stuffed with cheese and tuna
- Sliced tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella salad (with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste) - DELISH
- Southwestern chicken or beef chili with black beans and green bell peppers
- Chunky Salsa (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos)
- Mexican soup with chunks of avocado (shredded chicken; rice; chicken broth seasoned with garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper; tomato chunks; avocado chunks; optional cheese; sprinkle fresh cilantro on top).
- Tacos or nacho plates with chunked tomatoes
- Ragu style meals (cook tomatoes until they almost stick to the pan and get nice and carmelized). Add Italian herbs and garlic. Toss over prerogies, pasta, polenta, and include sausage or any meats.

I hope that's a good start!
#4 of 6 Old 09-14-2006, 12:23 PM

BRUSCHETTA!!! Chop up some tomatoes (smallish chunks for everything), onions, garlic, and fresh basil, and add a little salt and olive oil to make a salsa-like consistency. You can toss about a cup of it with a box of cooked pasta, and serve hot as a light entree or cold as pasta salad, serve it over thin slices of toasted french bread as an appetizer/snack, munch with pita chips (it's not bad over hummus, either) etc. etc. If you're a meat eater, we love bruschetta grilled chicken sandwiches - grill some chicken or use leftovers, put on a slice of thick garlic toast, and top with bruschetta and parmesan.

Um...can you tell we're big brucschetta fans here??? *LOL*
#5 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 AM

Make tomato chutney. A friend from India taught me this recipe. She serves it over basmati rice boiled with cauliflower and peas. Eat yogurt with it if you make it especially spicy.

5 lbs tomatoes
1 tbsp oil
1/8 tsp whole cardamom seeds (not the husk, just the black seeds)
5 whole cloves
chopped serrano or habanero peppers to taste
2 tbsp garam masala
lime juice to taste
2 tbsp sugar (or to taste, it will help balance the spicy peppers)
chopped cilantro
salt to taste

In a large soup pot, heat oil and fry the cardamom, cloves and chopped peppers until golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are soft and heated through. (If you're going to can the chutney, make sure it boils for a minute.) Remove from heat and add garam masala, lime juice, sugar, cilantro and salt. This tastes better after a day or two in the fridge.
#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2006, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could throw them at people! :

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page