Dreadlocked Mama's and Papa's please answer my ?????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, here is some background info: I had really nice like 3 ft long dreads, that I coveted with a passion, till baby #2, and my mommom was crying, saying that she couldn't believe what I had done to my hair, blah blah blah, SO I had a hormonal haircut, and I have mourned them ever since.: So the ????? is Since having kids, is head lice a worry? That is why I haven't committed to locks again. If you get them how do you get rid of them? I understand how with regular hair, but since you can't "comb" them out, how do you get rid of them? I am POSITIVE with 4 kids, eventually someone will come home with them at some point. I really want locks, but my hair is really long, and I don't want a *haircut* again, YKWIM? What should I do? Has anyone ever had lice, and kept their locks? Personal experiences more than welcomed. TIA, Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? Echo...Anybody out there?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:55 PM

I don't have dreads, but I wanted to offer

I really wouldn't worry about it. You really want them back, so grow your hair like that again. If you get lice, they make washes you might be able to do, and worst case scenario, you cut your hair and you're back to where you are now but at least you had them for a while. So I say go for it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks for the hugs. :

Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 PM

No dreads here, but I wanted to add what I know about lice and kids. Most of my friends kids have come home with lice and none of the adults have gotten them. And all are loving and physically attached parents. It's also not been passed between siblings in the families I know who've dealt with lice.

It seems once it's noticed and swift action is taken (all natural remedies too) it can be contained to one head .

I've been there on the hormonal decision making.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Ask in the dreads tribe, in the finding your tribe area.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:44 PM

One mama who was in our tribe said that once her boys got lice and she put her head under water as hot as she could stand and all the bugs jumped out and it killed the eggs.
I think if you want them, do it.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
You know what I killed my dd's lice with (thankfully before they found their way to my dreads)? Feline Advantage. Frontline would work, too. Y'know, those products sold in little tubes of liquid that you put on the back of your pet's neck to kill fleas and/or ticks? http://www.nofleas.com/

It sounds really weird, but it worked! And it was after literally *years* of fighting the evil bugs on & off & trying every product OTC & prescribed. I've always figured that if I ever got lice in my dreadies I'd apply some lovely Advantage to my head.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 PM

Keep a hat on! LOL and you can also keep your scalp*lightly* oiled everyday, the nits have a hard time getting thru the barrer!

If you do get lice, you can kill them with heat, like a blowdryer, or my suffication(coating your whole head in some think oil and leaving it there for a few days.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:03 PM

well I dont know about kids bringin home lice as mine are so young... but in the past I have had bugs- fleas specifically in my dreads.. {got it from a friends dog when we shared a tent} and I used hartz puppy/kitten flea wash. if you get bugs in your dreads there is always a way to kill them, the gross thing is there will be dead bugs trapped in your dreads until you cut them off. another time I had bugs in my dreads, lice, from a rainbow gathering, that time I cut them off cuz I was pg. Ive recently let mine grow back and I have anxiety about this already! I frontline my pets on time every month now.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:24 PM

I do have locks but haven't had lice in years. It cost me my first set but I wasn't that happy with them anyways. I tried the chile pepper rinse and it got rid of them but burned my scalp. Don't know of any other rememdies but I wouldn't let that stop you from locking up. If you have to get rid of them again then it was all about the journey right?

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Shelbi
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM

Hey Sister~
There are a few natural remedies if you do happen to get nasty buggies in your locks. I can look up in one of my books what the recipe was. It is super easy, just mix up some herbs and hot pepers, like cayanne I think and scrub it into your scalp and locks, wrap your head with plastic wrap, blow dry alot! sit in a sauna.....anything to heat up your scalp and then like 24 hours later, pull the plastic off and all the buggies come tumbling out too. It's sicky but, so much better than ever cutting my roots y'know. I have never gottten dem bugs, but I have known a few families who have. Goddess Blessings that you will never have to worry about it. Just keep em clean, if you think one of your kiddos has lice, maybe wrap your head in a plastic bag until the scare is over, I wouldn't care how silly I looked for a couple days as long as I didn't get lice! Good luck with your wishes to lock up again mama!

User Tag List