Vinegar ?: Toilet and 'rusty' screws - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-30-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have hated our upstairs toilet since we moved and SOO much regret not getting a new toilet seat when my dad was around to help with handy'man' stuff. The upstairs one is a little older and never comes totally clean. It smells up easily- and I'm not exactly sure why. I don't think it is the cleaning products, but I know if my dh notices he is going to blame that.

(Un)Fortunatly he doesn't seem to mind dirty bathrooms as much as I do.

I switched to bs & vinegar after we moved because I had thrown out all our old cleaning stuff when we moved (transportation hazard ). I just noticed that the screws on the upstairs toilet and the newer downstairs toilet seem rusty and dirty.

Is this because I'm spraying with vinegar and not rinsing the vinegar all the way out? I do use a 50/50 water vinegar mix.

My mom recently mentioned that she used straight vinegar on somethign and it ate away at it... so I guess I have that on my mind.

Now, I'm not sure if it was like this when we bought the house or if it just started-- I mean I clean the toilet but I try not to get eye to eye with it, so I could surely have missed it.

Can I just replace the screws with newer ones or go with replacing the whole seat?

On a related toilet note, the upstairs toilet resevoire is also disgusting. I've looked at a few before (some as old as ours) and all of them looked white and the water fairly clean and clear. Not ours. Oh gross.

I told my dh that if I was dying there would be no way in he(ck) I would drink the water out of that resevoir. It looked brown, slimy yucky.

Should I be concerned? Is that reason enough to get a new toilet at some point.

Oh, and the previous owners redid the bathroom within the last 10 years... why oh why didn't they replace the Loo!

Btw, I'm not a very squirmish person, but I hate toilets and bathrooms (especially when they are shared by other people). I'm getting really grossed out adn making a much bigger deal out of this than I should, but blech.

Thanks!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#2 of 4 Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 AM

Vinegar wil eat through grout when you use it strait, but I have not heard of it eating through metal or rusting screws.

A toilet seat is really, really easy to replace. You can buy a new seat at Target or Home Depot, anywhere, really. They come with the screws you will need. And, the newer ones have plastic screws. The hardest part to replacing a toilet seat is loosening the old screws to remove the old seat. Squirt a little WD-40 on them if you have problems. And, don't buy the cheapest toilet seat you find. I made that mistake once and had to go buy another one a few months later. It just didn't hold up.

I don't know about the gross stuff in the tank. I never look in my tank. Some things are just better left hidden - lol.
#3 of 4 Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it possible that that is not rust on the screws but, instead, URINE?

Urine, when it sits on surfaces, generally goes rust-coloured as it dries. Especially if it contiues to be peed upon! If that is all it is, your husband will just need to work on his aim and help wipe down the area each time he uses the toilet.

Try some hydrogen peroxide if the vinegar doesn't work. On the inside of the tank, as well. That slimy stuff could just be from the mineral content of the water or from bacteria (not a bad kind). Empty the tank, and scrub it with baking soda and vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.

Avoid those bleach tablets that go in the tank. Bad for the plumbing fixtures in the tank and for the environment, as well. Stick with the H202!

Yes, go buy yourself a new toilet seat! They are not expensive. Consider your family situation before purchasing one.

We used to have a beautiful solid oak seat, but changed it to a soft, light-weight, padded-type when ds was old enough to use it. We had friends that had the same oak seat, and their son was hurt badly when the seat dropped down onto his penis when he was a toddler and standing to pee (we were visiting at the time and none of us ever figured out exactly how it happened!). He required stitches as a result. OUCH!

Better a inexpensive, soft seat for awhile!! Our "cheap" padded seat has lasted for three years without any damage.
#4 of 4 Old 10-01-2006, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

My dh hasn't had a problem aiming in the past so I don't think its him. And ds sits on a potty seat, so it would be a very acrobatic feat for it to be him.

I'll have to take a look at seats. Our toilet has a very different shape than most do, so I'm probably limited to the type I can get. but thanks for the encouragement, that makes it sound easier.

I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the reservoir-- and the reason I discovered it was gross was because I broke down and bought one of those tablet things. I know, very bad, but I figured I'd just try it once.

I should have posted here first, of course. I got lazy and made an impulse buy!

I'm not a fan of blue water but it has delighted ds lately(-;

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page