Fleas! Natural Way to Get Rid of 'Em for Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help!

I have three kids, one of which is 8 months old.

Well, thanks to DH not combing and washing poor doggie, we have fleas jumping on us in the house!

I'm scared to bomb, because baby is crawling and I fear long-term repercussions down the line if he is exposed to the stuff if we can't wash all the bomb spray stuff off the floor, rug, etc....

Any natural remedies?

UG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to bomb tomorrow. I really need advice since I am breastfeeding, baby is crawling on the floor, etc. I guess I will also call the pediatrician.

Ha ha. I just noticed my avatar.... ha ha-not!
#3 of 22 Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fleas and Baby! Natural Way to Get Rid of 'Em?

Your title sounds like you want to get rid of both the fleas and the baby.

No advice, I'm just loopy with sleep deprivation and laughing like Beavis and Butthead at everything.
#4 of 22 Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Fleas and Baby! Natural Way to Get Rid of 'Em?

Your title sounds like you want to get rid of both the fleas and the baby.

No advice, I'm just loopy with sleep deprivation and laughing like Beavis and Butthead at everything.
#5 of 22 Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 AM

you can use essential oils to mix in the shampoo such as tea tree, catnip, lavender, wormword,elder, yarrow, eucalyptus and ESPECIALLY NEEM Oil! Also you can put garlic oil on him, diatamacious powder ( from garden section) however be careful not to get dust in dogs eyes or nose. Feed dog lots of garlic and brewers yeast. If you have rugs inside the house you can place borax or boric acid down and leave on as long as possible ( if baby can stay away from area) then vacuum. However after vaccuuming make sure to throw away the bag outside.

You can make a flea color by putting a few drops of tea tree on a bandana and placing around dogs neck.

Hope some of this works so you dont have to bomb. Make sure to look at your dogs overall health if this is a recent occurance.

I would also recommend using garlic, neem and diatomacious earth sprinkled in your yard in shady areas Fleas tend to llive in shaded areas so you shouldnt have to be to concerned with areas that recieve lots of sunlight. Also they like very dry and LONG grass

Michele
#6 of 22 Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyShellandKai View Post

Make sure to look at your dogs overall health if this is a recent occurance.

Michele
An excellent point I never thought about! Thank you!
#7 of 22 Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 PM

vacuum. vacuum. vacuum. change bag. change bag. change bag. clean all bedding. clean all bedding. clean all bedding. use nightlights w/bowls of soapy water and more nightlights with bowls of soapy water. vacuum. wash bedding. if wood floors, wash with wet towels. change towels frequently so that you don't spread flea eggs around. use borax where you can. then vacuum again.
#8 of 22 Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh the Irony View Post
vacuum. vacuum. vacuum. change bag. change bag. change bag. clean all bedding. clean all bedding. clean all bedding. use nightlights w/bowls of soapy water and more nightlights with bowls of soapy water. vacuum. wash bedding. if wood floors, wash with wet towels. change towels frequently so that you don't spread flea eggs around. use borax where you can. then vacuum again.

:

I've had flea infestations thanks to my cat, and this is what has worked for me. Also, even wood floors should be vacuumed--most wood floors have some cracks that can hide flea eggs.
#9 of 22 Old 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM

diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled in the carpet to help. it is harmless to us but kills the fleas. here is a good link for you linky

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#10 of 22 Old 10-12-2006, 11:32 AM

I second the vacuum, vacuum, vacuum like every day! Also if you put mothballs INSIDE your vacuum bag/container htat helps to kill the fleas & eggs when you vauum them up (not sure that's really *natural* but its better than bombing cause nobody is going to be eating the mothballs!). And if you have an old house with cracks in the wood floor then be sure to take your crevice tool and vacuum up the cracks (a pain but it really helps). And wipe down your hard floor with eo mixed into the water/borax mix.

good luck! what a pain!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#11 of 22 Old 10-12-2006, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! I will use that link, too!

Hugs (flea-free ones)
Bean
#12 of 22 Old 10-13-2006, 10:53 PM

we're also dealing with the flea thing--our outdoor cat keeps bringing them in---so this is our third go around this season.
I find that I need to reapply the essential oils (I'm using lemongrass and eucalyptus) every day, maybe more often.

Could someone explain the nightlight/soapy water contraption thingy. We've got all wood floors, and I know despite washing/vacuuming/washing/vacuuming I won't get them all.

*thanks for the link, I've been meaning to buy some d.e. and I can't get myself and my brood to the garden store.
#13 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamama View Post
we're also dealing with the flea thing--our outdoor cat keeps bringing them in---so this is our third go around this season.
I find that I need to reapply the essential oils (I'm using lemongrass and eucalyptus) every day, maybe more often.

Could someone explain the nightlight/soapy water contraption thingy. We've got all wood floors, and I know despite washing/vacuuming/washing/vacuuming I won't get them all.

*thanks for the link, I've been meaning to buy some d.e. and I can't get myself and my brood to the garden store.
The fleas will jump into the bowl if a light in shining on it and all others are off. I've been told they jump after light and vibration.

Also, vaccuuming is great and must be done literally every day for 2 weeks or more-since vacuuming vibration actually spurs the eggs to hatch! But that is okay becaue then you vac them up and the force can kill most of them. Just change bag or rinse cup with hot water.

I am adjusting to the fact that it will be two or more weeks for them to be gone.

Ug. Getting there...
#14 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 PM

thanks for the light info.

I ordered the d.e. right after I saw this thread and I think it is GREAT.
I've been vacuuming all the time, washing everything all the time and covered the animals in the d.e. at every outside opportunity, and I feel like the fleas are gone (now just for the rest of the eggs to hatch), but no one is itching at all--so I feel like that's something.
#15 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Citronella citronella you should get you some citronella

Grow some in pots!

I swear one time we had a yard *full* of citronella...and not a single flea was to be found on our dogs...not even on the clumber spaniel!!!!! (and spaniels are Horrid for fleas)

So find some citronella seeds and liberally spread them over your lawn to grow for next spring...in the mean time, follow the suggestions of the PP's
#16 of 22 Old 11-11-2006, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mela and Pandora:

Great! and Thanks!
#17 of 22 Old 11-11-2006, 02:37 AM

borax laundry powder is great, it dried them up and kills them ( they can live up to a year off an animal, I guess they hybranate??)

you sprinkle it ALL over..let it sit for a while(half an hour-hour) then vacuum it up. Its cheap too! I would also wash ANYTHING washable.
#18 of 22 Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibba View Post
borax laundry powder is great, it dried them up and kills them ( they can live up to a year off an animal, I guess they hybranate??)

you sprinkle it ALL over..let it sit for a while(half an hour-hour) then vacuum it up. Its cheap too! I would also wash ANYTHING washable.
Thanks! Even with a crawling baby in the house?
#19 of 22 Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
Thanks! Even with a crawling baby in the house?

Yeah That...I've been wondering the same thing...Any advice as to the Borax being safe for babies????
#20 of 22 Old 11-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Could someone explain the nightlight/soapy water contraption thingy.
The warmth of the nightlight attracts them the same way the warmth of mammals attracts them. They jump for it, then land in the dish of water. The tiny bit of soap in the water breaks the surface tension, otherwise the fleas would be able to skate along without breaking that "skin" of surface tension, so that they drown. Dad swears by this method.

"What will you do once you know?"
#21 of 22 Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 PM

We had an infestation in my house (I live with my best friend, her husband and thier baby), the baby was too little to be crawling, but I wouldn't let them crawl on borax. I don't know if it would hurt them in anyway, but I wouldn't chance it. What we did was cover the floors in borax right before going to bed, and then vacume it up in the morning. I imagine that would work pretty well with a crawling babe.
And just an FYI... the only thing that got rid of our fleas was bringin in the dog (she didn't give us the flees, cats that were long gone had), and treating her with Frontline. I think that the fleas were naturaly more attracted to the dog than to us or the carpet/couch/etc. and when they jumped on the dog they died because of the Frontline. That combined with vamuming every day, sprinkling borax around, and soapy water with lights finaly got rid of hte nasty things. I woulsn't wish a flea infestation on ANYONE, so s to anyone going throught it.
#22 of 22 Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 AM

You should never give a dog garlic. The vet said it can cause kidney failure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page