Wash your face with honey! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 764 Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too am loving the honey wash!!! I have been rotating it with OCM (using jojoba oil) -- MAN how I wish I'd learned about this 20 years ago!!!!!!!!

Think I'll try the bs and honey mixture next!
#272 of 764 Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM

I tried it .... I love it!!

I will be not be repurchasing my facial scrub after its gone.
#273 of 764 Old 01-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Help! I am totally breaking out, and I know it's from the pregnancy (well pretty sure, it happened before.) What do I do? Just keep up with the honey and use bs and acv more often? I can't use tea tree oil. Did I read that just leaving honey on a zit would help? Ugh.
#274 of 764 Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Are you using raw honey? If not, definitely switch now. I would also do a mask. That helps with my monthly breakouts. Leave it on for 10 minutes or so, or longer then wash it off.

What is your system right now?
#275 of 764 Old 01-11-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I've found that taking yellow dock tincture during all my pregnancies really helps my skin - gives me that healthy glow. It's high in iron and is one of the "tonic" herbs, so it cleanses the blood and liver and helps regulate the body. Any of the tonics will work -dandelion, nettles...Yellow dock is best for pregnancy though.

Try it! (warning - it tastes awful)
#276 of 764 Old 01-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Hazelnut - agreed with previous post, we'll need to know your current skin type, situation, and regimen before troubleshooting
#277 of 764 Old 01-12-2007, 05:36 PM

I tried this last night & my face feels great today!
I used it as a mask while I was in the tub. It smelled so good I was craving for tea with honey when I was done.

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

#278 of 764 Old 01-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Well, I'm 34, so not very oily anymore, mostly combo to normal I guess. I still had some blackheads on my nose, a little redness, and rarely some little bumps on my forehead. I have more bumps now and and a couple big zits. wah. I've been using raw honey twice a day, bs maybe twice a week, acv nightly. And the african black soap too.

Where do I gind that tincture stuff?
#279 of 764 Old 01-12-2007, 07:16 PM

This is an insanely long thread. : I have gone through a few pages and I can't find my question addressed so forgive me if I am repeating something that has already been discussed.

I have....let's call then adversions to certain textures and what not. One of my things is that I don't like anything sticky on my skin. I HATE lotion, oil, etc. The thought of putting honey on my face is somewhat disturbing, . (Hey, I never claimed to be totally stable) Is there another freak out there like me that has taken then plunge and can assure me I won't be totally creeped out.
#280 of 764 Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 PM

If it bothers you that much, put some honey into a bottle, put some hot water and a pinch of baking soda in it, shake it up and use that as a cleanser. The baking soda and honey does feel good on your skin, so you'd be missing out

Oils and lotions are good for your face, just find something that's not sticky or else you're going to look like a shriveled old prune VERY early in life.

GET OVER IT!

#281 of 764 Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Sp happy I found this thread.. Off to try washing my face with honey! I'm optimistic as I have slightly dry, acne-prone skin
#282 of 764 Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 PM

Is there an adjustment period (like there is with no-poo) when using honey to wash your face. I have been doing it for a few days now and I am breaking out like never before.
#283 of 764 Old 01-15-2007, 11:33 PM

Some people find an adjustment period. Use a pinch of baking soda to open up clogged pores.
#284 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 03:00 AM

Just tried this for the first time. I have acne-prone, combination, sensitive skin and my face feels fabulous!! (i did the baking soda added in to the honey). Thanks everyone!!
#285 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
Is there an adjustment period (like there is with no-poo) when using honey to wash your face. I have been doing it for a few days now and I am breaking out like never before.
Yea there is but not exactly the same as I would imagine it is for no-poo. It seems to draw all the spots that are under the surface out. So if your skin has lots of spots then for a week or two it will stay the same (just feel a LOT better).

Then after about 3 weeks your skin will look perfect (mine looks almost perfect and considering how bad it has been for the last couple of years it is miracle).
Now I just have to sort out my scalp...
#286 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 PM

i'm still hanging in there, but its been a couple of weeks and there isn't much change in my skin - other than after i first wash it, it feels amazingly soft.

anyone else have no change in the first 2wks and then things started to really happen? My skin is worst around my hairline/jawline/neck. Yuck. I am almost 38yrs old and just want clear skin ~ the last time it was clear I think I was in Grade 5.
#287 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 PM

donnar, I tried the honey a couple months ago and gave up after a few days when I didn't notice an improvement. Then just before Christmas, I started using honey again. It's been about 3-4 weeks now and I haven't noticed a real improvement. I use a pinch of baking soda every 3-4 days, but that doesn't seem to help clear things up either.

I'm really at a loss, but washing with honey is about the same as when I was washing with expensive "acne care" face wash, so I figure at least I'm saving some money!

I just have no idea where to go from here on clearing up my acne. It's on my forehead only, and it's red and bumpy all the time. It usually itches too.

Sorry I'm not more help...

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#288 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM

I went through a period where is seemed nothing was clearing up - about 6wks. Now its all starting to clear up and my skin feels really soft and smooth. My pores do seem a lot tighter. I do the baking soda/honey combo in the am followed by the ACV toner. In the evening I put the honey on and go about my house work or whatever. Then I put a slathering of tomatoe in milk and that really seems to take down the redness. Sheesh, Im practically making a salad on my face!
#289 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2fiya View Post
I went through a period where is seemed nothing was clearing up - about 6wks. Now its all starting to clear up and my skin feels really soft and smooth. My pores do seem a lot tighter. I do the baking soda/honey combo in the am followed by the ACV toner. In the evening I put the honey on and go about my house work or whatever. Then I put a slathering of tomatoe in milk and that really seems to take down the redness. Sheesh, Im practically making a salad on my face!
How does tomato & milk work? Do you use fresh tomatoes and puree them or something?

#290 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM

mom2fiya, sorry for the dumb question, but what is ACV ? i'm also curious about your tomato/milk concoction! i'm going to try your am/pm regimen to see if it helps. i'll hope for a 6wk improvement similar to yours and hang in there!

snozzberry - tx for your reply, i hope we both find something that helps. adult acne is so frustrating. i agree on the saving money thing!
#291 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 03:06 PM

Donnar, acne is often an internal problem rather than an external problem; powerful acne treatments just get rid of the symptom, not the cause.

The skin on our face is one of the "emergency exits" for toxins when our detox organs such as the liver are overwhelmed or not functioning properly. In that case I've heard from both Chinese & Indian medicine that the location of the acne can give some information about which organs are having trouble. Unfortunately I saw something on the web about this once and now can't find it again!

Acne can also come from hormonal imbalances, which I don't know as much about because that's not my the problem I have...

I would suggest thinking about your health regarding both digestion and detoxification. Otherwise if the skin is detoxing one thing I do is I take an epsom salt bath while having a castor oil facial, for close to 20 min, with a glass of water. Then I wash it off with soap. Castor oil draws out toxins, and can be used on other parts of the body too. You could do a castor oil facial without the bath if you wanted, and could remove it with the OCM method.
#292 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 03:09 PM

sphinxie, thanks for the reminder. It's just so hard to know what the problem could be! I went to see a naturopath, and her remedies didn't really help. Maybe I'll try another one.

#293 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnar View Post
mom2fiya, sorry for the dumb question, but what is ACV
nevermind, apple cider vinegar, i figured it out

it seems so strange to consider putting oil on my face. but i am willing to try anything. so you just slather castor oil on your face? anything more i should know? i'm going to try to find that bit on the acne location/organ issue. sounds interesting.......
#294 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnar View Post
i'm going to try to find that bit on the acne location/organ issue. sounds interesting.......
Let me know if you find anything! I'm doing some research on elimination diets, and I think I'll start by cutting out half of the major allergens starting next Monday and see if anything improves after a couple weeks. If not, I'll cut out the others for another 2 weeks. And if *that* doesn't do anything, I give up! :

#295 of 764 Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
How does tomato & milk work? Do you use fresh tomatoes and puree them or something?

Milk and tomatoes are natural alpha hydroxy acids, which help to exfoliate the skin. The acid levels are low considering what you would get from a dermatologist but safer. I take a small piece of ripe tomatoe and squeeze it and any pulp that goes with it into milk, then just apply to my face. You will be surprised how tight this stuff dries! You can also do this with plain yogurt.

http://www.momsorganichouse.com/cate...nic-skin-care/
#296 of 764 Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Also think about your digestion & detoxification, esp if your breakouts are mainly around cheek or jawline area. The skin is an emergency exit for toxins when the normal detox system is overwhelmed, so when superficial treatments aren't working well often the problem is internal.
Do you have any links that go into this in more detail?

Thanks!
~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#297 of 764 Old 01-19-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Do you have any links that go into this in more detail?
Nope... the info I've gotten was mainly from my ND and an acupuncturist. I could have sworn there was something on this site: http://store.annabellina.com/skincaring.html but now I can't find it. They do have some info on the health/skin subject generally but it seems a bit all over the place.

It's quite possible that there are people on the health & healing board who would be knowledgeable on this subject...
#298 of 764 Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks, Sphinxie! I'll look into that.

After reading the first 50 posts I decided to try washing with plain honey tonight. I followed up with burts bees wild lettuce toner and burts bees marshmallow moisturizer. that was 4 hours ago and my skin feels very soft and smooth. i'm in my mid-20s, fair-medium complexion, normal skin.

This is fun . I love honey. I'm bad about eating it from the jar. When I was younger I used to drink honey bears like a bottle. No kidding!

~Nay,

ETA: I forgot to add, last night a red spot I've had for a few days almost completely faded immediately after washing with honey. I'm getting ready to take a shower so I'll wash again and see how I look and feel.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#299 of 764 Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had acne prone, blotchy skin ever since highschool. But I tried washing with raw, wild honey yesterday and today--and I kid you not, my face is totally clear, super soft, and has a much improved skin tone. I cannot believe it! I paid $3.25 for the honey at the grocery store...that's the cheapest facial treatment I've ever had! Hooray!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#300 of 764 Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Nope... the info I've gotten was mainly from my ND and an acupuncturist. I could have sworn there was something on this site: http://store.annabellina.com/skincaring.html but now I can't find it. They do have some info on the health/skin subject generally but it seems a bit all over the place.

It's quite possible that there are people on the health & healing board who would be knowledgeable on this subject...

i was going to add to this link that skin is a reflection of what is going on internally and applying things to the surface can only improve things *so* much in most cases - and look someone beat me to it! With regard to where you break out being related to 'what's up within', even my GP backed this one up - the sides of the chin (sort of lower check towards the front) are to do with 'female' hormones, he did say what the other areas mean but that one was my only concern so I didn't commit the rest to memory. I have also read it many places. But basically even western medicine (which is notoriously slow to catch on) believes that the skin is an organ, not just of protection, but of detoxification and if the inside is not healthy the outside won't be either

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page