Wash your face with honey! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been washing my face with honey for a few days now, and I really love it! I'm using local raw honey, and it's a little bit grainy so it exfoliates somewhat. My face is smooth and definitely clearing up. Thank you!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 AM

I've been using a routine pieced together from this thread for about a week now, and the results have been dramatic. I posted most of this in another thread but thought it belonged here. So here's what I've done.

I started washing with honey about a week ago, and added a shea butter moisturizer a few days later. Brown sugar mixed with the honey about every fourth day to exfoliate, and my very bad acne breakout is now about 85% healed. The breakout began several months before I became pregnant, but the hormones made it worse. I'm using plain honey, cheap brown sugar, and JASON shea nut butter, because my grocery store had them.

Here's what I gleaned:

1. Wet face with a warm, rung out washcloth.
2. Apply about 1 teaspoon of honey to face and neck.
3. Let it sit for a minute or so. -- I brush my teeth while I wait.
4. Remove with warm wash cloth while gently moving fingers in circles to lightly exfoliate.
5. Apply shea butter with damp hands to damp face. Since my skin is extremely dry and I live in a desert climate, I use a pea-sized bit. You may need less.
6. Exfoliate every third day by mixing brown sugar into the honey. I'm doing this every fourth day right now.

This is my morning and night routine. This treatment has been very soothing to my sensitive skin. I feel well moisturized, but not greasy, and my skin is glowing for the first time since dd2 was born. I'm not putting tto on the spots, or masks, or any harsh or drying treatments, and my face is healing beautifully.

Thank you so much, 3 opihi, for starting this!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 AM

Tonight is the second night that I've honey'd my face and so far so good. Tonight I did tone with witch hazel though as the skin felt slightly tight with just the honey (but nowhere near as tight as with something like Noxema, which I have also loved : ). I'm just using a runny honey, no name brand, unpasturized. I have a question though and when this honey runs out (it's just a smallish jar) I may grab a larger one. Is the honey cleaning AND moisturizing? Could I use honey on my whole body in the shower? I'd probably still want to wash certain bits with soap (just because I've spent nearly 30 years doing that ) but I do like the softness of my face tonight. I get the same softness from Aveeno but I find that after half a day my face starts to feel a little tacky as the oil builds up with the moisturizer. This morning I just used water to wash my face and then a light moisturizer (which has always been my routine).

And OMG!! "Nearly 30"!? Nearly 29 is more like it but I don't wanna grow up!!! :

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 AM

Thick honey issues here! I got this jar of honey that my mom's friend sent her from Greece. I was told it's raw, pure, etc. etc. But holy moly it is THICK. It's so hard to get out of the jar and rub on my face. Aside from all the gooey strands that wind up on the jar (why does this annoy me so) is this, uh, viscosity better, worse, or just plain irrelevant for face washing? Am I getting too silly? It's such a pain to use compared to my other stuff.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Thick honey issues here! I got this jar of honey that my mom's friend sent her from Greece. I was told it's raw, pure, etc. etc. But holy moly it is THICK. It's so hard to get out of the jar and rub on my face. Aside from all the gooey strands that wind up on the jar (why does this annoy me so) is this, uh, viscosity better, worse, or just plain irrelevant for face washing? Am I getting too silly? It's such a pain to use compared to my other stuff.
Save the yummy raw honey for eating and buy some runny stuff for washing with!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM

if you aren't adding any water to the honey (wetting your face/hands) you will have a hard time spreading it on, its like it is pulling your face in different directions, try cutting it a little w/ damp hands. or find some local raw that isn't so thick, but stick w/ raw, it is much more a living food than the processed.

i washed my face in the shower yesterday and let it sit for a few mins, and was licking my face the whole time, yum!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:20 PM

do you all wash with honey in the morning and at night or do you just wash with it once a day?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:20 PM

You know what's great for keeping the honey neat in the bathroom? One of those ketchup dispensing bottles like this: http://www.calibex.com/Tablecraft-Di...b2/prices-html

or the fourth bottle in the top row, here: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...n=Custom&ID=21

Anyone have good suggestions for the BS? Ours is just in the bag it was sold in. :

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Ive kept our BS in one of the containers that parm. cheese comes in. It has the lid that helps shake it out
Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 PM

Hello ladies - just wanted to share a recipe I found in a natural beauty book.

It's 2tbls of liquid soap (I used Dr. Bonner)
1/4 cup honey (or a bit more if you like)
1/4 water

I used this last night on my face - got all my makeup off and this morning in the shower for a nice body wash. It doesn't lather up but I like it!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
do you all wash with honey in the morning and at night or do you just wash with it once a day?
In the am I do a quick wash with it, in the pm I put it on more like a mask and do some house chores then rinse off before bed.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM

at walmart in the travel supply section with all the mini soaps and shampoos and wverything, they sell empty plastic bottle sets. those are what i use to store everything. they are all 4 oz in size. the one i use for my honey is the pump. i pour my honey into it and add just a teeny amt of water to make it more liquidy and shake it up good and every morning and evening i just pump it out. the other bottles contain my BS and body oil (evoo). i think the 4 pack of bottles was just over a dollar. cant beat that.

oh...and in the shower for both my bs and water solution and my ACV solution i bought the empty hair color applicator bottles from sally's beauty supply. they have the long spout like those previously mentioned ketchup dispensers and they were like $1.50 each. work great.

ok so i just mixed up that recipe from a few posts up only i added about 2 tbs of olive oil to the mix and mixed it all in my hair color bottle. i just tried it on my hands and they are much softer. thanks for the recipe.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:01 PM

I've been washing my face with honey for about 3 weeks and it has definetely cleared up my skin. However, a few nights ago I was washing my face when it suddenly became very itchy and broke out in small hives. The itching is mostly gone now but it is soooo dry. I'm guessing it's just from the cold, windy weather we've been having lately. It's driving me :. If I continue washing with honey should my skin stop itching soon? Any advice on this would be great.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
is this, uh, viscosity better, worse, or just plain irrelevant for face washing? Am I getting too silly? It's such a pain to use compared to my other stuff.
I would stick with the raw honey like pp suggested. It's probiotic (live) whereas the other stuff is often pasturized. My face didn't really clear up until I started using the raw honey, the little bear just wasn't cutting it!

I use a teensy bit of baking soda to help break up the texture of the raw honey. Also, I wet my face pretty liberally like pp suggested. To keep the little drippies off the sides of the jar, I use a jar with a wide enough lid that I can stick my fingers in and scoop out a little bit, avoiding the sides of the jar. This mostly works The only thing that I've found that sucks is when the honey gets into my hair at my temples... tho I 'spose that happens with all the honey types.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 PM

I was storing my facewash honey in a seperate bottle and diluting it with witchazel, which made the texture much closer to regular facewash.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 PM

How are you mamas washing the rest of your skin?

Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM

I still use honey and love it, but I've been noticing that it doesn't cut through all the moisturizer I use. I use a pretty decent layer of jojoba oil and shea butter because of my dry skin. Honey worked fine, but after about a month, my skin felt caked with the shea butter. Anyone else have that experience? I've started to use cetaphil again before a wash with honey.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommay View Post
I still use honey and love it, but I've been noticing that it doesn't cut through all the moisturizer I use. I use a pretty decent layer of jojoba oil and shea butter because of my dry skin. Honey worked fine, but after about a month, my skin felt caked with the shea butter. Anyone else have that experience? I've started to use cetaphil again before a wash with honey.
My theory is that honey is a good facewasher basically because it is soluble in both oil and water. So first it mixes with the oils on one's face, and then water dissolves the honey and it rinses off, carrying oils with it.

So my guess would be, try massaging the honey in more so that it picks up all the shea butter?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:51 PM

My standard answer - add some baking soda to it. It turns oils into soap and rinses away.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Thanks Sphinxie and Spastica. That's really helpful. I am concerned a little about over exfoliating, but I never thought about the bs turning the oil into soap. Very useful. I was actually wondering about whether honey made shea butter and oils soluble, and now I know. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:46 AM

OK, question- I have read the whole thread so forgive me if I missed it. I switched from just periodically using diluted ACV to religiously using it twice daily after washing with honey. I've since felt like my skin has felt a little dry. Would ACV do this? I wasn't sure, b/c it's also been absolutely freezing here, so our heat is really cranking, which could also be the culprit. Or maybe it's the african soap I use periodically to first wash make up off. :
Old 02-08-2007, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like too many cleansers. I'd pick one: african soap, honey OR acv diluted with water, then follow it with shea butter as a moisturizer since it's cold where you are. I don't know if you have this store near where you live, but they have small tins of organic shea butter at L'Occitane for $8! It's so heavenly.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I've since felt like my skin has felt a little dry. Would ACV do this? I wasn't sure, b/c it's also been absolutely freezing here, so our heat is really cranking, which could also be the culprit. Or maybe it's the african soap I use periodically to first wash make up off. :
My understanding has been that the ACV as a toner can be a little drying in wintertime (although essential in summer?). Personally, I find just the raw honey (no soaps and no avc ever) a little drying and have to follow up with a little moisturizer. I use a bit of jojoba, shea butter or coconut oil as moisturizer. I started the whole honey thing in the fall (I think) so I don't know about how well the acv will work in summer.

hth.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 02-08-2007, 02:37 AM

I only use the african soap if I've had make up on, and then I don't use honey. I was using honey (occasionally bs) and then the acv b/c I read that it was more of a toner than a cleanser. But perhaps I should not use it so much. I am using some moisturizer, but I just feel like i need to reapply within a couple of hours and that has never happened to me before. I guess I'll just stick with honey. I just read about acv reducing pores and got a little desperate.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:15 AM

My DH has really dry scalp... it is flaky and the flakes are thick... he seems to scratch his head all day long. He washes his hair every morning seeking relief, to no avail... Any suggestions? Will ACV work? Should he shampoo, ACV, then condition?

Please help...:

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't have a dandruff problem, but I do have a little itching if I use shampoo/conditioner. I have been no-poo for almost 6 months the itching & periodic pimples on my scalp are gone. I wash with bs/water, rinse then load my hair from the earlobes down with acv/water 1:9. I let that sit for about 2-3 monites then rinse it completely with water. Worls great for me. No more itch & my hair isn't oily.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ's Momma View Post
My DH has really dry scalp... it is flaky and the flakes are thick... he seems to scratch his head all day long. He washes his hair every morning seeking relief, to no avail... Any suggestions? Will ACV work? Should he shampoo, ACV, then condition?

Please help...:
Look into seborrheic dermatitis for your DH. It's quite common, often mistaken for dandruff, often shows up in the late teens to mid-20s and is thick, itchy flakes, sometimes they appear greasy (but not always) and it's often concentrated on the scalp, hairline, eyebrows, crease behind ears, and/or occasionally on the cheeks/forehead.

Sadly, I don't have a suggestion for it. It's often diet related, though, and is sometimes the only symptom of a food intolerance/allergy.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Since seeing this thread, I've been washing my face with honey and love it! I've been breaking out for whatever reason (some on each side of my chin that I'm told is hormonal, but my forehead seems to have been bumpy for years) and after a couple weeks, there is already improvement! And I love how my face feels when I'm done.

I bought some coconut oil to try using as a moisturizer for my legs but am scared to try it on my face because I seem to be sensitive to various oils.

Is apricot kernal oil okay for the face? I have a bottle of that, and a very tiny bottle of jojoba oil (actually a wax??). Which would you recommend and how would I apply? Just a few drops on wet hands and rub all over the face? I have combination skin. My cheeks are normal and my forehead and chin can tend to be on the oilier side, but not oily. Actually, now that I think about it, it seems to all be much more normal now that I'm not using Clinique or any other system.

Oh, same question for applying coconut oil to legs- would I want them to still be damp or already dry? Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:39 AM

I just read through this entire thread! :

I am so excited to try this! My skin is usually not too bad (if you don't look too close), but at it's best it's only *almost there.* I have bumps on my forehead that have been there since I was a teen. I kind of just smush em out every once in a while. And if I don't wash my face, a zillion blackheads on my nose, nobody else can see them, but they bug the hell out of me. And now due to stress, I have pimples on my cheeks too.

I am 34 with combination/oily skin. Any advice while I am still young enought to do something about it?

I was thinking of starting with a honey/bs mixture followed by my Bioelements moisturizer, switching to some shea or jojoba when it's gone. Am I right in thinking that I should be doing an ACV toner if I am using bs?

TIA!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:46 AM

I have to say, I love honey, but...

A book recently came into my library called "The Skin Type Solution" by Leslie Baumann. It seems spot on for my problems. In fact, dead on about my skin types and the use of sulfur products. Also spot on about the remedy needs for my skin type (more hydrating, aka, ponds cream, style products.) I would prefer a more natural based skin conditioner/ cleanser, but this provides me with information of what i might be looking for. So not that I don't love honey (cuz I do), but if you're as sensitive as me, there maybe other options for you. Just take more time in your research!

User Tag List