Wash your face with honey! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2007, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a fallacy for your skin type. I had always thought that I needed a more gentle toner, but that's not the case. If you're of a sensitive skin type, it's possible you're in need of a facial water to rehydrate your skin, not a toner. Read more from Leslies Baumann's Skin Solutions to learn about your actual skin type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Aveda isn't 100% pure, but I don't think there is anything out there that is. As far as I know there is no SLS, except for maybe in the color care stuff, which they are trying to phase out. I'm not 100% on the parabens, I'm fairly certain they don't use synthetic, methylparabens, but I'm not in the haircare dept. so I can't answer that specifically. I can look it up for you.

you can check it out here - this is a great site for checking product ingredients:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...ucts&submit=Go
I use Terressentials Hair Wash. It's 100% organic with NO synthetics. It's a clay hairwash, so it doesn't lather at all. It took about 3 weeks to get all the gunk out of my hair from using shampoos and styling products, but my hair has never been softer. All their products are 100% certified organic. They're awesome!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponqueen View Post
I use Terressentials Hair Wash. It's 100% organic with NO synthetics. It's a clay hairwash, so it doesn't lather at all. It took about 3 weeks to get all the gunk out of my hair from using shampoos and styling products, but my hair has never been softer. All their products are 100% certified organic. They're awesome!

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out. I am wary of the clay based washes as my hair is SUPER thick and wavy...the times that I've tried it my hair has been gross...but maybe I just need to stick with it for longer? It's worth a try.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:30 PM

I tried the honey last night and love it. I was getting ready to purchase some cleanser from Pangea, but I think I'll use the honey for a while and see how it does. I'm really impressed.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM

I love washing my face with honey. I have been doing it for about a month. Most amazing of all, I have not needed to use any astringent at all. And in my own little science experiment I started using the raw honey to wash my dd's arms. She has some serious kp. It is mostly gone. The bumps that are left are much smaller and the area is not as red as it used to be. It is much less noticeable. I am thrilled.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb View Post
I love washing my face with honey. I have been doing it for about a month. Most amazing of all, I have not needed to use any astringent at all. And in my own little science experiment I started using the raw honey to wash my dd's arms. She has some serious kp. It is mostly gone. The bumps that are left are much smaller and the area is not as red as it used to be. It is much less noticeable. I am thrilled.
I have little bumps on my upper arms, have since puberty I think. I have been dying to try honey on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked, but I can't bring myself to use my nice raw (expensive) honey on my arms! who really notices but me, ya know?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
sure there is. organic honey is actually held to pretty stringent standards and it's really hard to find!
I had to get mine at my local health food store. I bought the raw, organic honey. It's very hard. It says to sit the jar in warm water until it becomes spreadable. What does everyone else do?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM

I think I asked this before - but what type of honey are you all using? I have been using the Amber liquid raw honey. Today I was at Wholefoods completely dumbfounded by the selection of raw honey. There was the liquid stuff raw and organic. Then there was the cream colored honey raw and organic. The cream looking stuff seemed like it might be a solid or semi - solid. So does anyone know which might be best or have had better results with one over another? My skin is really soft now, but healing slowly from some horrid break outs from NOV. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ's Momma View Post
My DH has really dry scalp... it is flaky and the flakes are thick... he seems to scratch his head all day long. He washes his hair every morning seeking relief, to no avail... Any suggestions? Will ACV work? Should he shampoo, ACV, then condition?

Please help...:
Have him try Burts Bees shampoo. The grapefruit one is the most natural. It doesn't have all the nasties that flair up scalp problems.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2fiya View Post
I think I asked this before - but what type of honey are you all using? I have been using the Amber liquid raw honey. Today I was at Wholefoods completely dumbfounded by the selection of raw honey. There was the liquid stuff raw and organic. Then there was the cream colored honey raw and organic. The cream looking stuff seemed like it might be a solid or semi - solid. So does anyone know which might be best or have had better results with one over another? My skin is really soft now, but healing slowly from some horrid break outs from NOV. Any recommendations?

Thanks
I use organic, raw honey. For me, I wouldn't use any that isn't organic. I've been using it for about a week now and I really like it. I've been using organic jojoba oil as a moisturizer. My skin glows and it really soft. I had a couple of very small zits on my forehead and they were gone within 2 days. The honey is awesome.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:59 PM

The bumps on your upper arms can be cleared with using baking soda to scrub. Then, if you're adventurous, you can spray some apple cider vinegar in some lotion and leave that on overnight too (or you'd prefer, spray it on your arms in the shower, rinse, get out of the shower).
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 PM

I've been using the honey for 3 days now, today I added a bit of BS and it was wonderful!
No excessive drying (yet), but if it happens, I'll probably use my Burt's Bees Carrot Nutritive Body Lotion mixed with a little bit of water.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:30 AM

Tonight was my second time no-pooing. Does anyone notice the weird "wet dog" smell immediately after applying BS? Does this pass?

I'm love to get rid of all my commercial product so maybe someone knows:
a shaving cream/lather I could make at home?
a cold cream/eye makeup remover without all the slick oils I could make?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 AM

DH and I just started washing with honey tonight. I have sensitive skin with mild psoriasis and DH has extremely dry skin with quite severe excema. It will be interesting to see how our skin reacts.

We both agreed that it felt nice. We both had shiny skin but it didn't feel drying at all.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponqueen View Post
I had to get mine at my local health food store. I bought the raw, organic honey. It's very hard. It says to sit the jar in warm water until it becomes spreadable. What does everyone else do?

I sit the jar in a bowl of warm water until it becomes spreadable. Sometimes I put a glob in a smaller bowl and put that in warm water.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM

Okay, so I've been using just the BS wash and ACV toner. I am very happy so far with the results of using BS and ACV (my zits are clearing up, and the blackheads are vanishing), but I'm really wanting to also add honey to my regimen - it sounds like it would be absolutely glorious! If I'm washing with honey and BS, can I still use the ACV as a toner, or is that overkill? I've also ordered some coconut oil to use afterwards as a moisturizer. Whatcha think?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:21 PM

"Wait a minute Baby! Mommy has to get the honey from the shower!!"
Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Also, if anyone's interested, I've found that Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil (54 oz) is on sale right now through Amazon.com for $20 (reg $29.99) - and, if you order over $39 of Nutiva product (like, maybe 2 containers of CO? ) and use the code Nutiva23, you get a $10 discount, so you end getting 108 oz of coconut oil for only $30!! Plus, there's free shipping on orders over $25! It says this deal is effective March 1-31st. Here's the link if anyone's interested:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...091976-9606425
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellop View Post
Okay, so I've been using just the BS wash and ACV toner. I am very happy so far with the results of using BS and ACV (my zits are clearing up, and the blackheads are vanishing), but I'm really wanting to also add honey to my regimen - it sounds like it would be absolutely glorious! If I'm washing with honey and BS, can I still use the ACV as a toner, or is that overkill? I've also ordered some coconut oil to use afterwards as a moisturizer. Whatcha think?
That has pretty much been my routine I use honey as my main wash and add BS once or twice a week mixed with the honey. More than that and it's to drying for me. Then I follow up with ACV toner and coconut oil, shea butter or jojoba as a moisterizer.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 PM

I have been using honey for about a month now. It is a bit drying, but not nearly as drying as regular bar soap. I have less zits now, and less dry skin. I wish I could find a simple moisturizer now.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM

I've been doing this for the past three weeks. I'm now premenstual, and my face still looks the same! (Usually I'm breaking out terribly about now.) Thank you for giving me the courage to do this.

I wash with baking soda once a week. I wash with honey every day, then use a bit of ACV just poured into my hand and then patted onto my face and rinsed off. I then have been using coconut oil as my moisturizer (a little goes a very long way). I know have Jojoba oil and shea butter to experiment with as well.

Who would have ever thought I'd be putting OIL on my face!

Thank you again!
Aven
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks, Jellop for that info. on the co.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 AM

Okay, I have got to say - I LOVE THIS!!! I am in love with my skin (never thought I'd say that)! I've always had acne/blackhead issues, and a couple years ago, I got a couple whitehead looking things - really weird. Anyways, nothing I ever did made them go away - I started thinking of them as a permanent part of my face. Well, since using the honey and baking soda scrub, they "broke open", and something the size of a couple grains of salt came out of them - rock hard - and the spots cleared up and are gone. Even my raccoon undereye circles are fading away and filling out (this was a totally unexpected, but very welcome change!). My facial skin is so clear and smooth - I can't believe it! People have asked me what I'm doing different, and are amazed at the results. Ya all, thank you so much!!

BTW, I received my CO yesterday, and I'm totally lovin' that, too.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
It says to sit the jar in warm water until it becomes spreadable. What does everyone else do?
I have a little ceramic pot with a lid (come to think of it, it's very Pooh Bear'ish, but stouter and easier to get into...my paws don't get sticky ). I fill it with enough honey for a week or two, pop the lid on, and keep it in the washroom with me during a steamy shower. It's nice and soft by the time I get out and wash my face.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:43 PM

i have dry almost sensitive skin. it's been flaking this WHOLE winter and i've tried everything and then went to using just water. however, after a few days of just water, i'll feel like my face is dirty.

i found a recipe online that mixes honey with glycerin and a very small amount of liquid soap (no fragrance) and use that as a cleanser. so far i AM LOVING IT!

i follow with another online recipe for mositurizer, jojoba oil, cocoa butter and aloe vera gel.

my face have NEVER been smoother and better looking in all my 24 years of life. even the clogged pores on my chin and the crease of my crease are gone! masks have never been able to get rid of those and will leave my skin dry.

this will be my routine for as long it works that way. use honey!

shellie - momma to two adorable girls and my cutie boy
Old 03-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafechi View Post
i have dry almost sensitive skin. it's been flaking this WHOLE winter and i've tried everything and then went to using just water. however, after a few days of just water, i'll feel like my face is dirty.

i found a recipe online that mixes honey with glycerin and a very small amount of liquid soap (no fragrance) and use that as a cleanser. so far i AM LOVING IT!

i follow with another online recipe for mositurizer, jojoba oil, cocoa butter and aloe vera gel.

my face have NEVER been smoother and better looking in all my 24 years of life. even the clogged pores on my chin and the crease of my crease are gone! masks have never been able to get rid of those and will leave my skin dry.

this will be my routine for as long it works that way. use honey!
sounds great! Can you share the recipes you're using? I need a good moisturizer recipe because I tried straight jojoba oil, and it was just too greasy.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
sounds great! Can you share the recipes you're using? I need a good moisturizer recipe because I tried straight jojoba oil, and it was just too greasy.
of course!

here's the cleanser with honey:

http://www.honey.com/consumers/recip...dRecipeID=1289

and here's the moisturizer with jojoba oil, aloe vera and cocoa butter:

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/2741

shellie - momma to two adorable girls and my cutie boy
Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the recipes, I'm going to try the moisturizer for sure. I have been using plain clover honey to wash my face for a few weeks now and I love it. My face feels really soft. I have really dry skin. However, I have been using vanicream on my body and face for years, and I would like to switch to something with no petrolatum in it!
Would this work as an all-over moisturizer?

Jade : -Writing, vegan mom of Garrett, Drew, and Grace. Into feeling:
Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Wow. 18 pages. I didn't read everything.

I have horrible facial skin. Living in FL makes it worse. My face is always red and bumpy. Blackheads galore. Also the last six months or so the bottom under tip of my nose has become red and bumpy and flaky and sore. I have no clue what that is about.

So from what I read....use straight honey or honey mixed with baking soda to wash. Once or twice a day....every other day? Shea butter. Any suggestions for a good shea butter moisterizer?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to make up a batch of "exfoliating" honey with some bs and brown sugar and be able to keep it in a container pre-mixed? I'm wondering if the sugar or bs will dissolve if it's sitting mixed together for a long time. I just find it to be a pain to have to run to the kitchen for ingredeants whenever I want to use more than just plain honey.

User Tag List