Wash your face with honey! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 765 Old 03-14-2007, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a squeeze bottle of raw honey specifically for washing my face, and a plastic shaker bottle of baking soda (Arm and Hammer already has one in their baking section - I got the one for baking, not for cleaning stainless steel appliances, the grains are smaller) in my bathroom medicine cabinet. I just took a half used bottle of raw honey into my bathroom and bought a nice new one for eating and left that in the kitchen.

I think freshly mixing versus premixing makes a good difference so that the pH isn't disturbed, there's no bacteria forming, and the baking soda has no chance of disolving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 765 Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 PM

I just keep a bottle of each in the bathroom. If I run out I have a back up in the kitchen til I can get more
#363 of 765 Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 PM

OMG MUST BUY HONEY! MY face is in despair and nothing helps. I have dry red flakey skin that breaks out :cry: thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
#364 of 765 Old 03-15-2007, 12:11 PM

I love the way the honey & bs is making my skin look... dh has been trying secretly do it too...lol

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#365 of 765 Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM

I have been using honey on its own for a couple of months and it doesn't seem to be doing so good any more... I was wondering how many people have been using only honey for a long period? At the moment it feels like it's not cleaning anymore, just sorta building up.
#366 of 765 Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 PM

Mine got better with the use of honey over time. Though I use bs too periodically, and honestly don't use honey every day, or morning and night. Sometimes i use this black african soap recommended on here (it's OK I think, nothing special imo.) Couldn't you just alternate with another organic cleanser maybe? Does that interfere with the honey?

Anyway I've been really pleased lately, and I'm pregnant. My first two pregnancies my skin wasn't too great, and now it's better than normal. I often had some redness around my nose, which is gone. I try and use honey at least once a day, if not twice, and bs every few days. I use jojoba at night too, which really, really seems to help. I love it. It soaks right in and I swear it helped reduce my pores. I'm glad I got over my fear of slathering oily things on my combination skin.
#367 of 765 Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 PM

The baking soda and honey combination really gets my face clean. Sometimes I skip the baking soda. I also use warm to warmish-hot water while cleaning my face. Pat dry with towel and put moisturizer on.
#368 of 765 Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
OK I used THE GOOGLE ON THE INTERNETS (sorry had to) for the aspirin mask, it suggested 3-4 aspirin dissolved in 1tbs warm water, so I'm going to put honey in it to, any suggestions on how much honey? TIA
I have tried the asprin mask before but found it to drying and had to stop using it. I don't use bs on my face very often anymore for the same reason. I do still use the asprin disolved in Witch Hazel.
#369 of 765 Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM

hey, I'm in Ireland and couldn't find baking soda anywhere. We only have baking powder or bread soda. Are either of these the same as baking soda? I got bread soda today and it is very powdery, is that how it's supposed to be?
#370 of 765 Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM

It's known as Bicarbonate of soda, bicarb of soda, or sodium bicarbonate in other countries.
#371 of 765 Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 PM

I've been using the hone and BS for a couple months now and LOVE it. But, my 'bear' o'honey in the shower has gotten too thick to squeeze and very gritty. Never got that way in the kitchen before. Any ideas? I'm just scooping it out with my finger now, but really preferred the smooth version.

Thanks,

Laura
#372 of 765 Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmommie1 View Post
But, my 'bear' o'honey in the shower has gotten too thick to squeeze and very gritty.
Add a little distilled water, or boiled & cooled water, or witchazel, or something like that to dilute the honey. Then shake it up repeatedly. Results may vary
#373 of 765 Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 AM

That's exactly what just happened to my honey. It was a new brand for me, so I figured that's just how it got on the bottom. It was almost too rough to even wash my face with, so I just tossed it. I;ve never had that happen before though either. I finally got to Whole Foods and got some "gentle breeze" brand raw honey for cheap and so far prefer it. It's just smoother. Whether it's better honey or not, I don't know.

The other thing I love about this though is that it's cheap, and I'm not tempted by all these other face products now. Nice to be freed of all that temptation.

Also at the zoo I saw someone using an empty honey bear as a cup with a straw. Wish I had thought of that when I finished my last one!
#374 of 765 Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamamaatm View Post
hey, I'm in Ireland and couldn't find baking soda anywhere. We only have baking powder or bread soda. Are either of these the same as baking soda? I got bread soda today and it is very powdery, is that how it's supposed to be?
Bread soda is baking soda.
#375 of 765 Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM

I tried honey w/ BS in the morning in the shower for a few weeks. I had to stop because I developed a rash on my neck. Since it was in the shower, it got rinsed off well. Anyone have a similar problem? I am allergic to a lot of pollen, so can honey cause an allergic reaction? It wasn't raw or organic, or local.

~Katie
#376 of 765 Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM

I recently started using bs with honey. I used a pinch of bs and a half a palm blob of honey. Wet my face first, then applied in with fingers in circular motions. It has not been working out well, the honey rinses off but a lot of the bes doesn't it stays on top of the skin. I don't wan't to scrub to vigorously or else i'll wreck my skin.

Can someone who uses the bs - honey combination give me any tips? How do you do it exactly?
#377 of 765 Old 04-03-2007, 04:34 PM

So, I started using honey to wash my face, and my face feels A LOT smoother now! Plus, it is less oily!

But, I'm still breaking out on my chin (I read here that is due to hormones?). Is there ANYTHING I can do about that??
#378 of 765 Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 PM

:

Jennifer, Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996,
Noah born at home 2002, Elijah waterborne at home 2004,: and Isabella: waterborne at home 2007
#379 of 765 Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamamaatm View Post
Can someone who uses the bs - honey combination give me any tips? How do you do it exactly?
I use the honey and bs in the shower, I make a paste of bs and honey - scrub and rinse. I suppose since Im under constant running water this helps get every bit off. Sometimes I use the bs first then follow with honey...hth
#380 of 765 Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 PM

so what does one do if they wear makeup? wash with a soap and follow up with honey????? i have bumps on my face i have no idea what it is...had it for years...they are flesh colored and you only see it when light reflects a certain way....also i have these two white small ity bitty bumps on my face...i have tried squeezing the you know what out of them and nothing comes out...what the heck can it be (TMI) sorry...since we are talking about skin here i thought i would throw that last part in.
#381 of 765 Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 PM

Does anyone do the OCM AND honey? I have been doing the OCM in the morning in the shower where my face can get all steamy and then washing with honey in the evening before bed. I've also been using a Bert's Bees toner which I really like.
#382 of 765 Old 05-18-2007, 08:27 AM

:

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#383 of 765 Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottothinkpositive View Post
so what does one do if they wear makeup? wash with a soap and follow up with honey?????
On days I wear makeup I use an astringent like Witch Hazel to remove my makeup then wash or vice versa...sorry I can't help with the rest of your questions
#384 of 765 Old 05-18-2007, 02:02 PM

thanks! dosent the witch hazel burn your eyes? is it a menthol type product?
#385 of 765 Old 05-18-2007, 02:04 PM

i have super sensitiv eyes and it doesnt bug me! hth!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#386 of 765 Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmamma View Post
So, I started using honey to wash my face, and my face feels A LOT smoother now! Plus, it is less oily!

But, I'm still breaking out on my chin (I read here that is due to hormones?). Is there ANYTHING I can do about that??
Yes, this is something you need to treat internally. I find that any of the "tonic herbs" are excellent for treating skin issues. I would go for yellow dock/milk thistle tincture or dandelion/milk thistle tincture. You could also take liquid chlorophyll. All are great at oxygenating the blood and gently help the liver detox - EXCELLENT for skin. If you're using the honey and still not getting the "glow" this is probably the extra little kicker you need! Good luck. It also doesn't hurt to throw in a good quality probiotic. Remember, our skin is our largest organ! Anything going on internally is going to show up there first.
#387 of 765 Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I finally tried it today (I finally thought about it before getting in the shower ).

So nice!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#388 of 765 Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 AM

Am I the only one that has the overwhelming urge to lick my face when I do the honey mask?
#389 of 765 Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Of course not! That's the best part!
#390 of 765 Old 05-27-2007, 05:28 AM

This sounds really interesting.

Would just washing with honey help me with my sensitive skin that's prone to acne (but mostly just teeny-tiny clogged pores)?

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page