Wash your face with honey! - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoobidubly View Post
Would just washing with honey help me with my sensitive skin that's prone to acne (but mostly just teeny-tiny clogged pores)?
I think so. The improvement I saw was subtle but still distinct. In combination with everything else I've done, it has added up to a remarkable improvement. (Actually I saw a similar improvement with cetaphil, but I prefer honey over cetaphil. OTOH the cetaphil bottle is great for reusing!)

One thing I do sometimes is I'll massage the honey in for several seconds, like they recommend with OCM. I've felt some small blackheads get dislodged this way, I think it helps the honey to pick up unwanted matter more thoroughly, and I'm sure it's overall good for the skin.

Recently I added a small amount of helichrysum essential oil, known for its dramatic healing properties, to the jojoba oil I moisturize with. I haven't been paying close attention to the minute appearance of my skin, but I have notived that the texture is much softer and smoother, and I've even been using chapstick less though I don't usually deliberately get the oil on my lips. It's a nice neutral honey-like smell, too, which is good for me because I generally prefer not to have perfume on my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks, sphinxie.

Do you put anything in the honey to make it like a scrub? I'm thinking oatmeal and was wondering what you thought.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:00 PM

ok mamas i just got my honey and i used it today. i washed my face with honey first then i use my BS. is that ok? or should i have doen the bs first?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
ok mamas i just got my honey and i used it today. i washed my face with honey first then i use my BS. is that ok? or should i have doen the bs first?
I've been mixing them together to make it more like a gentle scrub.

And, has anyone else noticed an improvement in their hands and nails since using honey? I've been using raw, unfiltered honey for about 3 weeks now, and my hands are so soft and my nails look better than they have in a long time, and the honey is the only thing I'm doing differently!

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Do you put anything in the honey to make it like a scrub? I'm thinking oatmeal and was wondering what you thought.
I don't, but that sounds like a cool idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
You don't have to use BS, but if you do most people add it to the honey. It has a more exfoliant effect than plain honey, so some people find it best to add BS only 1+ times a week.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have been washing my face with honey since November and I haven't had any sort of a breakout yet I keep a jar of i in teh shower and leave it on my face while I wash my hair. Occasionally I use some of grnmtnmama's facial grains scrub with it - it is lovely ;love - organic oats, lavender, yummy stuff like that. I love the grains for exfloiating! www.hugadubdub.com
Old 05-28-2007, 07:03 AM

I tried washing with honey twice already and I'm REALLY impressed.

I plan on adding ground up oatmeal to the mix, but I have 3 quick questions:

1. How should I add the oatmeal to the honey? Should I mix them on the spot, or get a clean jar and mix it beforehand?

2. Is it okay to use the oatmeal exfoliant on my face everyday?

3. Is organic, raw honey and oatmeal from the health food store better than the supermarket stuff?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Mixing baking soda or ground materials (oatmeal, cornmeal, etc) is best done right before you wash your face, so that your ground materials don't get saturated and soggy.

I don't think it's worth getting organic stuff for my face - but I do get raw honey. You are sure that it's pure honey instead of honey flavored corn syrup. The pH would be correct of honey too, not sugar syrup.

As for how often to exfoliate, it depends on your skin and sensitivity. Some people can gently exfoliate twice a day, some people can only stand it once a week or once a month. It's up to you.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 AM

before i started using honey iwould wash my face with soap and then with baking soda once a day and that was helping to clear up my skin.
so now washing with honey i should be able to use the bs 1 time every day right?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 AM

I'm giving this a try tonight! If it works well (and jeez, you ladies have some glowing reviews ), I'm going to start experimenting with mixes.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:44 AM

Simple, natural skin care is the best!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I went to the health food store today and there were 2 kinds of raw, organic honey. One was a traditional kind (brown) and the other was an off-white color.

Does anyone know if one is better than the other?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 AM

Imdoobidably, I don't think there should be much difference. You could always buy both and see which you liked best, and eat the one which you don't ...perhaps you'd prefer the texture or smell of one. It's conceivable that one may have stronger antimicrobial or moisturizing properties but that might not be noticeable at first. Alternatively you could just get whichever one is cheaper
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM

I saw this thread awhile ago and wanted to try it but forgot about it until now. I was just curious is this all you use on your face for your cleansing routine? Do you just squirt the honey in your hand and then put it on your face and rinse it off with water? Will any kind of honey work or does it have to be organic?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 PM

I get the kind from the farmer's market so I know it's real honey versus honey flavored corn syrup, which can be sold at grocery stores. I don't think it's organic, nor do I think it's important that it's organic though. I just like using raw because I know that what I'm using is actual honey. Save the organic stuff for eating :P
Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Woohoo! It's taken me days to read all 21 pages but I'm finally here

Washing with honey first intrigued me because although my skin got much better when I switched to an all-natural cleanser and moisturizer almost a year ago, I still have occasional acne that just won't quit. And the texture of my skin (esp. on the sides of my face) is really bumpy. Argh.

Someone mentioned (a few pages ago) that the location of pimples on your face may be an indication of what is causing the acne. Anybody know what sides of the (face from temple to jawbone) might mean? I have lots of zit scars there from when I was a teenager.

Also someone mentioned Accutane. Does it cause any long-term side effects? (My dermatologist prescribed it when I was a teen. Just wondering.)

For moisturizer, I've been using some coconut oil I got from Rose Mountain Herbs. I am SO pleased with it thus far. My regular (all natural, no mineral oil) lotion moisturizer worked great when I first started using it a year ago, but recently I've noticed my face starts to feel ucky after a couple hours. Feels like I haven't washed my face yet that day. But the CO has completely solved this problem. It's so light, my skin just feels good all day. (My 17mo toddler approves of it, too. He watched me applying my moisturizer and stuck his finger in the pot, then wiped it on his forehead. Dipped his finger in again and stuck it in his mouth, then declared, "Tasty!")

Does anybody do a castor oil treatment with steaming or hot washcloth (as per this article)? Does it go well in combination with the honey washing?

Lastly, is there anything that can help heal or fade acne scars?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 PM

Temple - Jawline sounds like it may be from your hair. You may need to wash your hair more frequently, change your hair products, wash/change your pillowcases more often, and sleep with your hair tied back. Certain conditioners and shampoos make your face break out. Some people get back acne and have no idea it's from all that conditioner they rinse out of their hair that is running down their back. Try washing your face and back again after you shampoo/condition and see if that helps. You can also post what you're using in your hair and we can see if that's perhaps causing some sort of reaction.

Coconut oil does make a great facial moisturzer in small amounts, doesn't it? I like it a lot
Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Someone mentioned (a few pages ago) that the location of pimples on your face may be an indication of what is causing the acne. Anybody know what sides of the (face from temple to jawbone) might mean? I have lots of zit scars there from when I was a teenager.
Acne around the jawline in particular, and to some extent along the length of the cheeks, can be specifically from digestive/detox troubles. I've never heard anything specific about other areas though.

Quote:
Also someone mentioned Accutane. Does it cause any long-term side effects? (My dermatologist prescribed it when I was a teen. Just wondering.)
I have heard that it does, but they vary per person. The idea behind accutane is that it shrinks your oil glands, iirc, so changes in oil production would be a normal long term effect.

Quote:
Does anybody do a castor oil treatment with steaming or hot washcloth (as per this article)? Does it go well in combination with the honey washing?
I think it would be a pain to combine OCM and honey. I do castor oil facials sometimes while I'm taking a bath if my skin needs some detoxing and general improvement. Then I wash it off with soap or honey.

Quote:
Lastly, is there anything that can help heal or fade acne scars?
Some things help scars to heal quickly. Rose hip seed oil is one. I've added helichrysum eo to my jojoba oil, that I use as moisturizer... I don't think it is specifically mentioned for scars but it's a good all-around healer. Enough browsing on the mountain rose herbs site should dig up some more stuff
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 AM

Great info, thanks!!! Wow that rose hip seed oil sounds amazing (perfect for a pregnancy belly oil!)

I have been doing no-poo for over a year now (BS and ACV). My hair is knee-length so I always have to wear it in a bun or sometimes a braid. (Otherwise it becomes a toddler toy )

It might be more accurate to say the acne problem area is on my cheeks. Not the apples of my cheeks, but farther out to the sides (if that makes any sense).

I will try changing my pillowcase more often, since I only change the bedding about once a week. : Should I be using a fresh pillowcase every night? Why does that help, btw? Why would hair oil be irritating to facial skin?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 AM

OK, I'm back with two days' experimenting under my belt, and I'm a BIG FAN. I haven't gotten a new pimple in these two days, which indicates that it at least works as well as soap, possibly better. And I LOVE how soft my skin is! I'm experimenting with some lemon juice tonight.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Taedareth, could it be possible that when you wash your face, you're not washing along the hairline, or you're not rinsing off risidual soap or whatever you use, and it's irritating your skin? Maybe whatever you're using currently is causing acne?? Just a thought.

~Katie
Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'm doing the caster oil/jojoba treatment in the shower in the morning, but washing with honey at night. So far so good! I found that the honey, and maybe I was using too much, was drying out my skin too much. And I'd always been intrigued by the oil method, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's only been a couple of weeks, and I still get the occasional pimple but it's NOTHING like before. I'm really seeing a huge improvement. I'm probaby not a good test, though, since I'm pregnant and my hormones are all wacky. I usually have terrible skin while pregnant, though, so this is pretty nice!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I went to the health food store today and there were 2 kinds of raw, organic honey. One was a traditional kind (brown) and the other was an off-white color.

Does anyone know if one is better than the other?

Thanks.
The honey color depends on the flowers the bees used. Clover honey is often white, so is rapeseed and phacelia honey
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Wow!

I'm really excited to try the honey for my face and my arms (as I have had bumps on my upper arms since I was a teen at least). I bought some rosehip seed oil from MRH too. I already use VCO as a moisturizer.

I might try the honey on my DS too, as he has eczema.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I bought some rosehip seed oil from MRH too. I already use VCO as a moisturizer.
Thanks for replying on the Anti-Aging thread. We've been wondering how well the rose hip seed oil works.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 AM

Tried the honey last night and today. It was very pleasant and my skin does seem to be glowing a bit. I'm hoping those clogged pores are gone in a couple of weeks and that my arms will be smooth too.

I'm getting very anxious for my rosehip seed oil to come too!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 PM

For the past few days I have been washing my face exclusively with honey and my skin looks and feels soo good! I am a convert! I am telling everyone I know to wash their faces with honey!!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM

Any tips for getting rid of persistent teeny-tiny blackheads? Just use the baking soda to exfoliate more often, perhaps?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:26 PM

I loooove using honey to wash my face! I've been having problems with redness recently (plus oily hair and skin - is that seasonal or hormonal?) and honey is better than anything else I've used! It feels great.
It's also rather satisfying to know that, on a roadtrip, I can easily grab a packet of honey and a packet of sugar from a diner for a quick wash.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Any tips for getting rid of persistent teeny-tiny blackheads? Just use the baking soda to exfoliate more often, perhaps?
Try massaging the honey in for awhile before you rinse it off.

I like castor oil facials while I'm taking a bath. Castor oil draws out impurities and toxins (also good for your joints if you have arthritis).

Another thing I found was putting neosporin or polysporin on the blackhead areas before I went to bed. In the morning things are much improved. Not exactly natural, but it is thrifty and effective!

If you wanted to really spend time on it, you could steam your face before washing with honey, and then massage it in first, and use gently warm water to rinse off. Any blackhead plugs that are ready to come out definitely would, with that method.

User Tag List