Wash your face with honey! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 761 Old 06-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked a question a few days ago about white honey, but I wasn't really sure what I mean't, now I do.

The honey is white and thick like a cream because it's crystallized. The company is called Really Raw Honey.

Does anyone use this type of honey to wash their face?
#422 of 761 Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 PM

I just went out today to buy some honey. I wasn't sure which one to buy, so this is what I got.

Clover Honey by a company called Dawes Hill. The label reads "Pure, Raw, Grade A".

Is this okay? I've been reading a lot about organic honey. Does "Pure" = "organic"?
#423 of 761 Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Hard to make truly organic honey, since the nectar is collected from a HUGE area.
#424 of 761 Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Any tips for getting rid of persistent teeny-tiny blackheads? Just use the baking soda to exfoliate more often, perhaps?
I get break-outs quite frequently and I use a combination of oat flour, oat bran and sea salt that has really helped me! I learned the combination here on MDC and I love it! I use the mixture on my face to exfoliate about every other night. I just wet my face and then put the mixture on the parts that need help. I use a mixture of two parts oat flour, one part oat bran and one part sea salt. When first using it, it did leave my face pretty red aftwerwards (I have really sensitive skin) but the redness went away quickly afterwards. You may need to play around with the mixture as to what works best but it's a great exfoliator! HTH!
#425 of 761 Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 PM

So far, it seems like the honey wash has kept an area that was threatening to break out from actually breaking out! Also, it looks like the pores on my chin and nose are looking smaller and less clogged already!
#426 of 761 Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyckdWife View Post
I just went out today to buy some honey. I wasn't sure which one to buy, so this is what I got.

Clover Honey by a company called Dawes Hill. The label reads "Pure, Raw, Grade A".

Is this okay? I've been reading a lot about organic honey. Does "Pure" = "organic"?

"Pure" just means it isn't blended with high fructose corn syrup, it doesn't mean organic. But that sounds like a good one: it's 100% actual honey and raw. Go for it!
#427 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoobidubly View Post
The honey is white and thick like a cream because it's crystallized. The company is called Really Raw Honey.

Does anyone use this type of honey to wash their face?
I've read posts on here from people using honey like this, and they sounded frustrated about the texture being hard to work with.

Sometimes my own honey has crystalized a little... it is more difficult. I think it's slightly more exfoliating, cause it's a little grainy.

As long as you find the texture works for you, it should clean your face pretty much the same as regular honey, I would think!

You could try diluting some with a little warm water, as an experiment, if you wanted to make it more smooth...
#428 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeslie View Post
Hard to make truly organic honey, since the nectar is collected from a HUGE area.
That's exactly what I was told at the health food store. They said there's no such thing as organic honey. What I bought is raw and unfiltered, so it's a whitish yellow, thick, and has little bits of beeswax and such in it. It's working really well so far.

When I first posted to this thread a few months ago I used honey from my honey bear. It worked pretty well at first, but then after about three weeks I started breaking out really badly on my forehead (which is normally my only "good" area of skin) so I quit. The unfiltered honey is working much better. I'm also using jojoba oil with a drop of tea tree oil at night.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#429 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

It's also very hard to get organic honey because most hives in the world and especially North America have to be treated with an insecticide because of a widespread, devastating and destructive type of mite that invades hives and feeds off the larvae. It's awful. Hawai'i was one of the few places in the world that was still free of this mite and it's just infested Oahu.

If it gets to the Big Island, it will be truly devastating as this is one of the last few holdouts for truly organic honey. The Big Island also is a major supplier of Queen bees all over the US. If this mite infests the hives there (which it will, it's just a matter of time) You can pretty much say goodbye to the organic honey industry. There will still always be small time organic bee keepers, but because of this mite it's near to impossible to keep organic honey bees on a large scale .

You can read more about it here:
http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/14/b...s/story03.html
http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...ticle_5194.cfm
#430 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM

thats so sad

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#431 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Yeah, I used to volunteer with a varroa mite research bee team for a while, looking for an organic solution. It's so sad I had no idea they had spread into Hawaii.
#432 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 10:57 AM

I've always wanted to keep bees, and now I want to even more. Thankfully, there are several small to medium organic beekeepers in my area.

Stupid mite...

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#433 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 12:18 PM

So sad about the mites!!

I wanted to mention that I've been putting VCO on my skin in the shower right after using the honey cleanse. I then pat my face dry when I'm ready to get out of the shower. My skin has been really, really soft.

I'm thinking about trying the OCM too, w/ plain VCO. I wonder if it would be alright to follow up w/ the honey cleanser or would that be overkill?
#434 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 12:27 PM

What is VCO?

Virgin Coconut oil??
#435 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 04:47 PM

I just ordered some honey from agbangakarite.
Does anyone know if this is ok to use for facewash? I have been using the regular grocery store honey so far, and I haven't noticed any changes in my face (about 3 months now).
#436 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Looks good to me!
#437 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM

wow. can't believe i just found this thread Glad I did though...
#438 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 PM

I'm looking suspiciously at my honey...I'm just using my target honey bear, it doesn't say "100%" or "pure" or anything, but it doesn't list ingredients either. I guess I assumed that if it was cut with corn syrup or something, it would have to list it on the package...right? Maybe?
#439 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM

A few days ago (or maybe weeks ) I was reading on here and someone mentioned mixing their honey with an equal amount of green tea, mixing it in while the tea was still hot/warm. I finally snagged a couple tea bags from my mom and now I can't find that post!! I'm just wondering what strength the tea should be (does it matter??) - ie: how much water to a single tea bag. I tried a search of this thread for "green tea", and then"green" and "tea" on their own and got zero results each time.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#440 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 PM

I've been using honey for weeks now with no change to my skin
#441 of 761 Old 06-02-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogansmomma View Post
A few days ago (or maybe weeks ) I was reading on here and someone mentioned mixing their honey with an equal amount of green tea, mixing it in while the tea was still hot/warm. I finally snagged a couple tea bags from my mom and now I can't find that post!! I'm just wondering what strength the tea should be (does it matter??) - ie: how much water to a single tea bag. I tried a search of this thread for "green tea", and then"green" and "tea" on their own and got zero results each time.
Cool idea! Was it Spastica? I've heard her extoll the virtues of green tea before, I'm pretty sure...
#442 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 04:45 AM

I went to my mother's house today and she had some honey from her health food store that looked pretty good. It was by a company called Honey Brother.

The label reads "Clover Honey"; "Pure Natural Organic Honey"; "Made With Love"(awww!); "Uncooked, No Preservatives).

This stuff looks pretty good for washing. But it doesn't say "RAW" on the label?

Does anyone know what "raw" actually refers to? Does raw = "uncooked, no preservatives"?
#443 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 09:55 AM

My first thought was Spastica too since she's ALWAYS full of awesome information on seemingly every topic.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#444 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoobidubly View Post
Does anyone know what "raw" actually refers to? Does raw = "uncooked, no preservatives"?
Raw means not pasteurized. I've read that the "raw" honey industry isn't entirely standardized. I read an article by one beekeeper who said he only heats his honey (for extraction purposes, I think) to 100*F because he figures the bees let it get that warm right in the hive during the summer months. And he said other beekeepers heat theirs a lot higher (enough to kill enzymes) and still call it unpasteurized.

But I'm no expert. Maybe a beekeeper on this forum can tell us more.
#445 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM

I was the one who mentioned making honey and green tea facewash. It is ridiculous how flattered I am at being compared to Spastica. I look up to her : even though we are just all anonymous internet posters.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#446 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Yeah, give credit where credit is due - Leta has the great recipe. I'm sure I've blathered before on green tea (and I've squeezed out green tea from tea bags after I've drank a cup and used that to tone my face), I don't use green tea regularly as she does.

Props to Leta.

I'll be on and off in spurts - we need all the helpful suggestions from everybody as we can get -- all answers are valuable.

I'm just not in the right frame of mind lately and all kinds of other things are going wrong too - we need some other people to post their thoughts and make it erm...detailed (i.e. drone on and on ad nauseum like I probably do) so that people get enough info
#447 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 PM

We will miss you Spazzy! Hoping things get right.

#448 of 761 Old 06-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Spastica I hope things get better for you (((hugs)))
#449 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 AM

I am so excited to try this! Woo hoo and the farmer's markets will be open soon so I can get some really great honey. So . . . someone mentioned mixing the honey with brown sugar for a scrub. What do you think of mixing the two and then storing it in a container? so it was all ready when I need it? Will it get yucky if it sits for too long?
#450 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Oooh, I tried it tonight and my skin feels soft and smooth even with no moisturizer on. Do you faithful honey washers use moisturizer? Do you even need it? What kind do you use, if any? My skin is a little on the dry side, but also sensitive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page