Wash your face with honey! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#451 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't live without moisturizer. I use shea butter. it's VERY rich. so it may be too mcu for you. but I have excema on my face
#452 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 AM

I do use moisturizer...my face gets a bit dry (though not as dry as with normal face wash) and I like to have sunscreen on during the day, so I use Avalon's lavender SPF 18 during the day and rosehip seed oil at night and as needed. Riversong, after you've used honey for a week or so you should have a pretty good idea of how your own skin reacts--perhaps experiment both ways?

Spastica!
#453 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 AM

May have to try this.
#454 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 AM

I'm moisturizing with unrefined coconut oil. Works great. I would like to try some unrefined shea butter and rose hip seed oil, though!
#455 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 10:36 AM

I just purchased some refined coconut oil from MRH - opps should I have bought the unrefined??

Right now I am using joboba oil in the evening and light sunscreen during the day (I have really fair skin so I need the SPF for outdoor activities with DD). I like the jojoba for a light moisturizer but sometimes it is not enough for my dry areas. My skin is always changing - sometimes dry, sometimes oily. : Maybe I should try the shea butter?

Spastica ~
#456 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Yes, give the shea butter a shot. Sometimes it makes water bead up on my skin (when I put tons on and then wash my hands). In addition to providing a good way to amuse oneself, water resistance is probably good for dry skin!
#457 of 761 Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milky_mama View Post
I like the jojoba for a light moisturizer but sometimes it is not enough for my dry areas.
You can also mix oils. ie you could mix avocado oil with the jojoba... or anything that is more moisturizing... to get something in between.
#458 of 761 Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Acne around the jawline in particular, and to some extent along the length of the cheeks, can be specifically from digestive/detox troubles. I've never heard anything specific about other areas though.
I read somewhere that acne around the mouth and chin area means imbalances with the reproductive organs. I don't know any other areas either.
#459 of 761 Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoobidubly View Post
The honey is white and thick like a cream because it's crystallized. The company is called Really Raw Honey.

Does anyone use this type of honey to wash their face?
I use RRH honey to wash my face but it's not white and thick. I've gotten their honey many times (caseloads) and have never seen this. It's usually brown and gooey, not crystallized. They keep the cappings in so you should scrape those off before using it. Cappings are wax filled with bits of pollen and stuff. You can chew them like gum and then spit them out. Very nutritious. The honey is under the cappings. Maybe you're looking at the cappings?

I've also gotten their fermented honey. Nowadays I only get this type. I use it for eating and skin care. The active ingredients of fermented honey are more bio-available than non-fermented honey. You can also ferment your own honey by adding warm water to some raw honey and keeping it in a warm place.
#460 of 761 Old 06-06-2007, 03:28 PM

I think I am going to give Shea Butter a shot for my really dry areas. Is refined or unrefined best? May buy some avocado oil too? sphinxie ~ is the avocado oil very moisturizing? Just ordered from MRH but will need to place another order soon! Natural skin care is so much fun! I learn so much reading everyone's posts!
#461 of 761 Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Avocado oil IS very moisturizing - It's also very greasy and doesn't permeate the skin very quickly - It's a great base in massage oils and such because it's so thick - I would try a teeny bit on your face and see how it goes, it could be too heavy and make you break out
#462 of 761 Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Avocado oil IS very moisturizing - It's also very greasy and doesn't permeate the skin very quickly - It's a great base in massage oils and such because it's so thick - I would try a teeny bit on your face and see how it goes, it could be too heavy and make you break out
Thanks for the info on avocado oil!
#463 of 761 Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
"Good night mommy. And good night giant pimple."
Ds, age 4
Wow

Question for people who use shea butter: How fast do you go through a jar of it? I'm planning to get some and the store I want to buy from offers it in 1 lb or 5 lb containers (and larger too, but that's overkill). I'm wanting to use the shea butter as a facial moisturizer and also a daily belly rub during pregnancy. Will 1lb last me pretty much forever, or should I spring for the 5lbs?
#464 of 761 Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM

What about almond oil and apricot oil? I bought some for my pregnant belly, and just use jojoba on my face. I was wondering about how the almond and apricot are on blackhead-prone complexions though. Sometimes I mix them up for my tummy and am tempted to just put it on my face as well.
#465 of 761 Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Both are a little more on the heavy side - they are commonly used for massage as well, and we usually don't apply it to the face. However, both of them, particularly apricot are very gentle...I would try a teeny tiny bit, no more than three drops and apply it to the face. These are also both nice carriers for essential oils, so you could try cutting them with a few drops of your favorite EO...

Rose and Jasmine are nice for sensitive and aging skin
TTO and Lavendar are good for oily skin and as abx (lavendar is great for anything)
The citruses are really safe and great for sensitive skin and dark circles. I would use them at night, because they are photosenstive and if you apply in the morning and go out in the sun you could get a rash.
#466 of 761 Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Just washed my face, and hair, with honey. My scalp was very dry and my hair had a lot of conditioner build up. I think it helped. ANyone ever put honey on their scalp or wash their hair with it?
#467 of 761 Old 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM

I ordered some rosehip seed oil. I read about it on the Mountain Rose Herbs site and decided to give it a try. It's sorta hard to imagine putting oil on my face without breaking out, but from reading on here it sounds like some oils are not so greasy. Thanks for all your replies about the moisturizer.

The honey I use is very crystalized. The jar says it's natural for it to crystalize and there's nothing wrong with it. It's raw. The little crystalized bits are good for exfoliating. I think it's cool that with this same jar of honey, I've sweetened my tea, healed my torn perineum after birth, and washed my face. How versatile!
#468 of 761 Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will View Post
Just washed my face, and hair, with honey. My scalp was very dry and my hair had a lot of conditioner build up. I think it helped. ANyone ever put honey on their scalp or wash their hair with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
I ordered some rosehip seed oil. I read about it on the Mountain Rose Herbs site and decided to give it a try. It's sorta hard to imagine putting oil on my face without breaking out, but from reading on here it sounds like some oils are not so greasy. Thanks for all your replies about the moisturizer.

The honey I use is very crystalized. The jar says it's natural for it to crystalize and there's nothing wrong with it. It's raw. The little crystalized bits are good for exfoliating. I think it's cool that with this same jar of honey, I've sweetened my tea, healed my torn perineum after birth, and washed my face. How versatile!

Hahaha! I was just going to post to Mommy&Will that some MDC members have probably put honey in places she doesn't even want to know about!

And yes, I've put it in my hair and scalp. It's very nice.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#469 of 761 Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 PM

I have been washing my face with honey for the past week and I love it! My face is so soft and clear!!
#470 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 AM

Please, please......
Does anyone know if rosehip seed oil is safe during pregnancy? Anyone used it during pregnancy? i'm trying to find something anti-aging that I can use while preggers.
#471 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 AM

This might not be the answer you were looking for but since it's applied topically, I don't know of any reason why it would be unsafe during pregnancy. Hmm.

ETA: I hope someone can answer this question definitively, because I was planning to use it as part of my belly oil regimen next pregnancy!
#472 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mamatomax, I don't see why it would be unsafe.
#473 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatomax View Post
Please, please......
Does anyone know if rosehip seed oil is safe during pregnancy? Anyone used it during pregnancy? i'm trying to find something anti-aging that I can use while preggers.
I would like to know this as well. How is a carrier oil different from an essential oil, or are they pretty much the same? I don't see rosehip on any of my essential oils to avoid during pregnancy list, but it's listed as a carrier oil. TIA!

Oh and I just bought some shea butter yesterday to use on the really dry patches on my skin and it's great - very smooth and moisturizing! That's for the suggestion everyone!
#474 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 PM

: Hey Milky mama!
From what I can tell, the carrier oil distinction has to do with what it's used for, it "carries" another essential oil and makes it go farther...take the helichrysum/rosehip seed thing we were musing about earlier: they sell 4 oz of RHSO for $10.50, while Helichrysum is $19.00 for 1/8 oz. You only need a tiny amount of Helichrysum for your face, so you need another oil as a base to put it in, to stretch it farther...does that make sense? (please feel free to correct if I'm not spot on, btw!) It doesn't necessarily mean that the carrier oil has no therapeutic properties, I think; just that it's a good "mixer" for other, stronger oils.
#475 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Mamatomax, I don't see why it would be unsafe.
It was just that I saw that it contains vitamin A, and I don't think that it's safe to use other things that have a high vitamin A content (like retin-A...or is that safe?). I don't know
I just thought that I'd see if someone was knowledgable about that sort of thing.
#476 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Yes - Retin-A, which is an Alpha Hydroxy acid containing high amounts of vitamin A, is a definite no-no during pregnancy. So is hair color and other things. Avoid high amounts of vitamin A during pregnancy.

Personally - I would avoid most essential oils while pregnant. They are potent and can have estrogenic effects, especially since you're using it as part of a skin treatment (which means more essential oil is used).

The best anti-aging or pregnant skin stuff you can use and not harm your baby is probably vitamin E oil/cocoa butter (like Palmer's cocoa butter) and apple cider vinegar (a natural alpha hydroxy acid, but there's not high quantities of vitamin A). With ACV, do not go out in the sun with it on your face or any exposed part. Any ACV treatments I do on my face, I do at night and thoroughly wash my face in the morning.
#477 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Spastica ~ How do you know so much about everything!?
So dumb question, but is coconut oil considered an essential oil? I'm TTC #2 and I'm feeling so overwhelmed with trying to find things that are safe to use when prego!! : I usually use jojoba oil and just started with shea butter on my really dry areas - are those safe!?

halycon - Thanks for the explanation on carrier oils!

Please be patient with me everyone as I'm just learning about natural skincare!
#478 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Coconut oil is considered a carrier oil. Essential oils isn't really oily at all. It's just the concentrated extraction of the plant's properties. It often takes thousands of pounds of plant matter to a distillation/steam method and extract the volatile and organic compounds into a single bottle of essential oil. That being said - that's why it's so potent.

There's an aromatherapy link I posted somewhere in one of my posts. You can get schooled a bit on aromatherapy.

I strongly caution anybody I talk to, including here, that just because something is natural, you can't just slap it on yourself and smile like goober, thinking you did something great for yourself. Just because something is natural does *not* mean it cannot harm you. Also -- more is not always necessarily better. The American culture often has the more is better concept, and people tend to just not 'get it' and OD on vitamins, minerals, supplements, OD on homeopathy, and whatever else. There are no magic pills. Taking a lot of something good doesn't make it even better.

As for supposedly knowing everything - I'll admit to knowing absolutely nothing. I started the same place as you. The internet is chock full of information. If I happened to get interested in a topic, I read a lot of links on the subject and since the topic is interesting to me, it stuck I'm not special in any way. I'm just a queen of useless info for the most part...the kind that while sitting at a breakfast table, will read the ingredient list on a cereal box, or read any labels. If it makes sense, if there are topics that don't go through my thick head or I cannot remember, I'm really idiotic about those topics. Ask me about world history sometimes. I embarrass myself.
#479 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Milky Mama, no carrier oils are not essential oils. (Don't worry, I'm a certified aromatherapist.) Most carrier oils are considered safe, though you should always watch yourself for allergic reactions. Also to consider, if you have a family history of nut allergy, you may want to hold off on using any nut based oil during pregnancy.

A carrier oil is any oil used to dilute and essentially, "carry" the essential oil. Since, EOs are the very very very distilled oil of a plant, they can be potent and often times are not safe to apply directly to the skin. So, you must dilute the EO in something. There are many ways to do this - through a nebulizer where it can be transmitted via airborne mist, or water, where it can be diluted and absorbed via the skin or inhaled. The last way, is through a carrier oil. You can use any oil for this, depending on where it is going to be applied and what you are going to use the oil/EO application for: (ie, burning with a candle and releasing an air mist, applying to the face, or another part of the body)

Generally, there are not very many EO's that are considered safe for use during pregnancy. That being said, I have worked through all three of my own pregnancies using a variety of EO's and been completely fine. (though there are certain ones I would not use under any circumstances). In addition, I know many practicing, well respected midwives, massage therapists and aromatherapists who use a variety of essential oils to treat quite a few condition of preggos and it's very safe. However, these people have extra training to do so.

All that being said, I really think Rose Hip Oil is safe to use as a carrier oil. I looked it up and it is made from the seeds of the plant, meaning that is a true, cold pressed oil and NOT an essential oil. I didn't think it was, but wanted to clear that up for people. It is very high in Alpha Linoleic Acid as well as Omega 3's and is commonly used to treat pigmentation caused by pregnancy as well as a variety of other hormonally based skin issues.

So....that being said, I think it's ok. Use with caution and watch for any sign of sensitization.

As an aside, here is a list of safe and nonsafe essential oils for pregnancy:

Safe anytime (including first trimester)
Mandarin
Tangerine.
(use diluted and don't go in sun after applying, can cause photosensitivity)

Safe after 1st Trimestar (use with caution and stop use immediatly with any strange symptoms or sign of sensitivity!!!) Always use a carrier oil!
Bergamot
Roman Chamomile
Geranium
Lavender
Lemon
Mandarin
Neroli
Orange
Patchouli
Rose
Sandalwood
Tangerine
Tea Tree
Ylang Ylang,

Contraindicated!!!!
Clary Sage
Thyme
Rosemary
Cedar
Cedarwood
Clary Sage
Cypress
Ginger
Jasmine*
Juniper
Marjoram
Nutmeg
Peppermint
Rosemary
Spearmint

*Jasmine may be used during labor to relieve anxiety.

Remember, these are not the same as the herbal concentrations. Many of them are safe in that form. For instance, it's fine to have a glass of peppermint tea, or have nutmeg in your pie.

If you are ever in doubt, it is best not to use the EO until you can gain advice from a trained professional.
#480 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM

WOW! I'm going to paste that post into a Word document and keep it on file. Thank you!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page