Forum Jump: 

#481 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome answer, thank you!!!

One more question, though:
What about eucalyptus oil during pregnancy? I loves me some
I like to put some drops in the tub while I'm showering... so relaxing!
#482 of 761 Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, good question. There are two types of eucalyptus EO. Eucalyptus Smithii and Eucalyptus Globulus. Both are extremely safe - some of the safest of the Eos. Generally, E. Smithii is primarily used on children or sick people, though E.G. is somewhat ok. I would say, stick with the Smithii and you're probably good, making sure that you use the common sense precautions stated above.
#483 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 AM

I am so confused I finnaly found out that my skin type is very sensitive and I suffer from rosacea.I had to throw out all my make up and lotions and face washes and everything,because they were jest making the situation worse.
So now all I have be doing is washing my face with honey and useing a smothing serum from replenix for a moisturizer because that is all IU have and I dont know what else to use.I also have some black heads and little pimples and some acne scaring that wont go away I dont know what to do!!
Any suggustions?
I am thinking about ordering 1 of these 2 kits

http://www.skinrxclinic.com/rosacea_skin_care.htm

http://www.skinbymonica.com/Products...n__2546-5.aspx

But I dont know what to get, I am so confused
with all the chemicals fragreces and things that can make my condition worse
and acne worse I dont know what to get.
I jest want smooth toned un-oily skin like I used to not to long ago
#484 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 03:03 AM

Dh and I both use coconut oil on our skin as moisturizer. Dh was just telling me today that he things his skin looks soooooo much better/younger. I love it. I use it all over...it has made the cracks on my heals disappear. We also eat it and cook w/it too!
#485 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 AM

How would you use ACV as a toner??
#486 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
Dh and I both use coconut oil on our skin as moisturizer. Dh was just telling me today that he things his skin looks soooooo much better/younger. I love it. I use it all over...it has made the cracks on my heals disappear. We also eat it and cook w/it too!
What's the consistency of coconut oil? We tried some at the store, and it was like a creamy lotion almost. So we bought that brand and got it home, and it's liquid! Is it that it's warmer in our house than it was in the store?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#487 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 AM

WOW! Thanks 3_opihi!!! I appreciate you taking the time to share that list with us and thorough explanation!

OK, so since jojoba and coconut are carrier oils, they are considered safe while prego? Is coconut considered an actual nut? And for the EOs, I'm definately going to print out the list and reference it!

Thanks! You rock!

Oh and MilkWhiteTristan! - I use a mixture of 1 part ACV to 7 parts water mixed in a little squeeze bottle as my toner.
#488 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 12:06 PM

This thread is so interesting

Fort my daily mousturizer I use California Baby sunblock I love it

Zinc is very very good for scar healing, as is coconut oil, MilkwhiteTristan!
Take enough zinc internally. I think one reason I realy like the California baby sunblock on my skin is because it seems to have enough zinc to heal my skin quickly. Not to mention, it's pretty cheap compared to soem face products!
Also, I have noticed gettign enough good quality fats in your diet is essential to healthy skin. I know I also have sensitive skin, and my face often reacts to the elements after a long day out somewhere. Clearing any reaction causing foods out of the picture may help as well. I am a big believer in drinking raw milk, myself. I can't drink normal milk, and neither can my son, or we get excema like symptoms. Especially on our face.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#489 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 PM

Thanks alot for the advice you guys are awesome. Im curious would shea butter make a good smothing moisturizer and wont leave skin greasy and wont cause acne or anything?Or is there another one that is better that wont hurt my skin?
#490 of 761 Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Shea butter should be great. My skin is crazy sensitive and I've used honey and shea with great success. (hence the giganto thread )
#491 of 761 Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Jojoba and coconut are fine for pregnancy. Carrier oils are generally safe, barring that they are not rancid (expired) and that you are not allergic to them.
#492 of 761 Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
What's the consistency of coconut oil? We tried some at the store, and it was like a creamy lotion almost. So we bought that brand and got it home, and it's liquid! Is it that it's warmer in our house than it was in the store?
We use organic extra virgin coconut oil. It will change consistency very fast depending on temperature! In Texas it would stay somewhat solid on the counter. When you rub it in your fingers it turns to liquid very fast. Since being in AZ it pretty much stays a liquid on our counter! It is shiny on our skin at first, but soaks in and feels great!
#493 of 761 Old 06-14-2007, 03:34 AM

I just wanted to add that when I read this thread right back when it started I began using honey to wash my face. I *love* it! I even managed to convince DH that he did not need anti-acne face wash anymore (come on, he's 34 and hasn't had zits since I've known him! ). Thanks for this thread!

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#494 of 761 Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
We use organic extra virgin coconut oil. It will change consistency very fast depending on temperature! In Texas it would stay somewhat solid on the counter. When you rub it in your fingers it turns to liquid very fast. Since being in AZ it pretty much stays a liquid on our counter! It is shiny on our skin at first, but soaks in and feels great!
Okay, thanks!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#495 of 761 Old 06-14-2007, 04:15 PM

A while ago, someone on this thread (I think) recommended a book called The Skin Type Solution. I picked up a copy at the library and was reading a bit. I picked the type that probably best described me (OSNT - formerly oily when i was a teenager, sensitive, non-pigmented and "tight"?? It's not tight. But not wrinkled either so I guess this is the best match. Why isn't there a chapter for balanced or combination skin?)

Anyway - under the list of ingredients she says to avoid for this skin type, is coconut oil! : I don't understand why. Coconut oil is very light and easily absorbed.

On the other hand, this book doesn't have any kind of leanings toward "natural skincare" at all... she recommends Neutrogena, Olay, Mary Kay, among others. She mentions that people with sensitive skin have reactions to many commercial brands of skincare, but fails to mention that this is due to common ingredients like mineral oil, phthalates, parabens, propylene glycol, ureas, EDTA, fragrances, and artificial colors. I'm surprised she doesn't recommend more natural skincare for people with sensitive skin.
#496 of 761 Old 06-18-2007, 05:48 AM

Help!!
I have been using jajabo oil as a moisturizer and my skin ends up so oily and I am totally breaking out!
is breaking out always a bad thing or is there a reason for this?
I have also been using tee tree oil as a acne spot treatment but I dont think it is working at all.

what should I do?:
#497 of 761 Old 06-18-2007, 05:54 AM

O and also I have been using dilutid grapfuit oil as a toner is that ok?
#498 of 761 Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 AM

I would stop using the jojoba oil. It clogged my pores and made my face breakout badly. It took an entire month for all the breakouts to go away. I would try a honey mask for a while to see if you can get them to heal faster.

Sorry, no answer on grapefruit oil...

~Katie
#499 of 761 Old 06-18-2007, 10:36 AM

This is just a wonderful thread! People just keep finding it, and it keeps going.

I've been honey-washing for two weeks now, and I have to say... good stuff! Not perfect (I still have a few pimples, especially now that it's hot and humid; we're staying in an un-airconditioned second-story apartment), but as good as or better than other stuff I've tried. I do a brown sugar and honey exfoliating mixture in the evenings, and just honey in the mornings (sometimes I leave the morning honey on like a mask).

After this bottle of honey runs out, I'm going to switch to raw honey.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#500 of 761 Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 PM

i have been honey washing my face in the shower, so like 2ce a week. for two weeks now
OMG my skin is SOOO smooth. and my acne(pregnancy hormones) is clearing up alot.
i have a few spots on my chin and forehead that are taking a while, but i attribute that to the pregnancy hormones being stronger than the honey.
i was thinking of making a brown sugar/honey mask exfoliator next time to help with some of the more problem spots.
after i wash my face and finish my shower i splash COLD water on my skin to tighten my pores back up instead of using any toner.
my sister even commented yesterday that my skin looked so radiant and soft and glowy.
but not in a pregnant way
YAY honey!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#501 of 761 Old 06-18-2007, 02:31 PM

I hadn't used honey in a few weeks b/c of moving/laziness. Today I pulled the raw honey out of the cabinet and washed w/it again! Awesome! That w/the combo of coconut oil as a moisturizer is so great!
#502 of 761 Old 06-19-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkWhiteTristan! View Post
Help!!
I have been using jajabo oil as a moisturizer and my skin ends up so oily and I am totally breaking out!
is breaking out always a bad thing or is there a reason for this?
I have also been using tee tree oil as a acne spot treatment but I dont think it is working at all.

what should I do?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkWhiteTristan! View Post
O and also I have been using dilutid grapfuit oil as a toner is that ok?
Diluted grapefruit oil? As a toner? Do you mean the essential oil, or grapefruit seed oil, or...?

My guess is that the grapefruit oil may be the culprit rather than the jojoba oil. But why not stop both for awhile. Perhaps use the mildest, gentlest regular moisturizer you can find. If you're washing with honey you don't really need to tone.

Jojoba oil does not normally cause problems. If it is causing problems for you, either you have an uncommon sensitivity to it, or else the jojoba oil you are using may be unclean--whether it was improperly produced, is rancid, is not as clean as it should be, etc. So unless you have an uncommon sensitivity, better quality jojoba oil should work fine. Still if your skin is doing badly, give it a break, use as few products as possible, the gentlest you can find.

ETA: Tea tree oil is not necessarily ideal for acne spot treatments. It's very strong, and also with acne there is more going on than mere infection. I would suggest that you drop the tea tree oil for awhile and stick with gentle approaches. Leaving it alone is a good gentle approach.

I have never found topical eos to make any difference for cystic (deep) acne. If your acne is more on the surface, you could try adding a tiny amount of tea tree oil (or lavender oil which would be gentler) to your facewash or moisturizer. A tiny amount. This will over time help with the infection aspect.

Basically though, acne is moving toxins out of your skin & blood. So it's not a bad thing, if the toxins are there. Any gentle detoxifying methods will help get the acne over with. What I do is epsom salts baths with a castor oil factial. You could also take blood cleansing herbal teas, take a magnesium supplement... etc.
#503 of 761 Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 AM

I've been doing the honey washing for a few weeks now and it's really helped my skin a lot.

Since I picked up at my health food store, I also picked up some Dessert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil that I've heard such good things about.

I tried washing with honey, then using the jojoba oil, but it always left me too greasy.

I was wondering if it would be okay to put on the jojoba oil, then wash with honey? Or would that just be pointless?
#504 of 761 Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoobidubly View Post
I've been doing the honey washing for a few weeks now and it's really helped my skin a lot.

Since I picked up at my health food store, I also picked up some Dessert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil that I've heard such good things about.

I tried washing with honey, then using the jojoba oil, but it always left me too greasy.

I was wondering if it would be okay to put on the jojoba oil, then wash with honey? Or would that just be pointless?
That would probably be pointless. How much jojoba oil are you using to moisturize? I use a bottle with a dropper and use 5-6 drops to moisturize my whole face.
#505 of 761 Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 PM

I mix my oil (I use coconut oil in the summer) right in with my honey, and wash with that. Wipe/rinse it off, and my face is moisturized without being greasy. I love it.
#506 of 761 Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLeslie View Post
I mix my oil (I use coconut oil in the summer) right in with my honey, and wash with that. Wipe/rinse it off, and my face is moisturized without being greasy. I love it.
Interesting! Has anyone else tried this?
#507 of 761 Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 PM

I mix coconut oil with honey too sometimes. Sometimes I mix in tea tree oil and/or baking soda too. Whatever suits my mood and skin that day. I just use it like a facial wash.
#508 of 761 Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 PM

ooh I'll have to try that. So I could even wash my face with my deodorant. Sometimes silly things make me snicker. Is coconut oil non-comedogenic?
#509 of 761 Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just tried washing my face with honey for the first time this morning, and I love it! I can't wait to try the other suggestions in this thread.
#510 of 761 Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM

Upon reading through most of this interesting thread, I have decided to give honey a try to wash my face, since I'm no pooing and doing the bs/acv/co deoderant. My question is that: is it a problem using the same co to use as a moisterizer for my face that I use to put under my arms out of the same tub? If I'm putting my hands back into the oil, am I transfering any bacteria from my underarms onto my face?

It's not an issue if I put the co on after a shower because I know my underarms are clean, but what about applying it in the morning or as a refresher later in the day and then using on my face too.

Thanks. You ladies are so knowledgeable at natural solutions!
Miranda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page