Wash your face with honey! - Page 18 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#511 of 761 Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would use something to scoop the CO thats not hands. Maybe a wide popsicle stick, or something similar. Good luck!
#512 of 761 Old 07-11-2007, 05:43 PM

You're using baking soda AND apple cider vinegar in your deodorant? This might be a silly question, but... wouldn't they fizz up and cancel each other out, since one is low pH and one is high pH?
#513 of 761 Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM

When beginning to wash your face with honey/bs/ using co as moisturizer, do you tend to see it get a little bit worse before it gets better? I've got little pimples and one big one that has shown up since starting this regemine. I'm not going to give up because it might just be a hormone coinsedence. But was curious.

Also is asprin safe to use to wash the face with if your breastfeeding?
#514 of 761 Old 08-05-2007, 03:50 AM

I have just read this whole thread (yep, that desperate to find my way to clear skin ) and I feel like I have been living in the dark ages. I have moderate to severe cystic acne and have washed my face an avg of 3 - 4 times a day with some sort of neutrogena scrub or tea tree exfoliating scrub. I'm talking constantly taking off the top layer of my skin about once a day. Clearly, this is not working, so I am embarking on a simple honey wash (adding BS every few days) followed by a splash of witchazel and then a rinse. A green tea steam bath every few days does not seem like a bad idea either
I've gathered that basically a lot of skin trouble comes from stripping the skin of its oils and not replenishing them. So while I am keen to do the above regimin, I feel utter terror at putting jojoba, shea, or ay other of the moisturizers on my anything-but-dry skin. Do you wise women think it is a bad idea to stop short of moisturizing? (I live in a tropical, humid climate).
#515 of 761 Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 AM

I haven't been using a moisturizer exactly. The honey doesn't leave my skin feeling at all tight and I usually wear some sunscreen. I am pregnant, it is hot and humid so it may change with the seasons but last winter just switching to honey was so much gentler than what ever I was using before that I didn't feel a need. Others may have more to say but I would try it w/o if it worries you and see how your skin feels.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#516 of 761 Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 AM

i have extremely oily cyctic acne prone skin and both shea butter AND jojoba oil help keep me clear. i use jojoba oil every morning as a base for my mineral makeup and if i skip it, ill actually break out. it really helps. at night i use shea butter to really get good moisture in there and in the morning my face feels like a baby's butt. the reason we are so oily is because our skin needs more moisture than it is getting, so if you do use something along these lines, it may calm down the excess oil production. mine sure has.
#517 of 761 Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM

I started this today and already felt a difference in my skin! It was so much softer and not so tight feeling than when I use my chemical laden products! And way cheaper too! Thanks so much!
#518 of 761 Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzariaJordan View Post
So while I am keen to do the above regimin, I feel utter terror at putting jojoba, shea, or ay other of the moisturizers on my anything-but-dry skin. Do you wise women think it is a bad idea to stop short of moisturizing? (I live in a tropical, humid climate).
Hi there. On the topic of how the moisturizing oils can effect our faces:

I started with coconut oil and later switched to unrefined shea butter for the healing properties. But after using shea butter for about 2 weeks I finally had to admit it's just too thick for my skin. My face felt very greasy all day. I started to get acne but am not sure whether this is entirely the fault of the shea butter, because it could have been a monthly cycle thing. The coconut oil is much lighter and easier for my skin to absorb. The greasiness went away and the larger whiteheads did too, but the tiny whiteheads did not. Now for the last week or two I've been using sweet almond oil (cheap!) with some anti-acne and anti-wrinkle essential oils added. My complexion has seldom been clearer. I won't say it's perfect, but even the tiny whiteheads are mostly gone.

So the moral of the story is... experiment with different oils to see what works for you. I think if you wash your face and then don't put on any moisturizer, your skin will have to work harder to produce its own oils and you could get greasy. Try a lightweight oil like macadamia or kukui nut oil (both are supposed to be absorbed very quickly and leave no greasy feeling). Coconut might be another option for you.

Oh! About the acne clearing up - that might not even be directly related to my new moisturizing oil. I have also been using a new facial scrub made of approximately 3 parts filtered water, 2 parts apple cider vinegar, 3 parts finely ground almonds, and 3 parts honey. Or something like that. Anyway, I keep it in a squeeze bottle and wash my face with it every morning. Gives a nice exfoliating effect and has the honey and ACV toner right in the mix.
#519 of 761 Old 08-06-2007, 03:47 AM

Thanks, Taedareth! That is good to know about the thickness of the oils. I like your cleaner recipe too
For now (well, it's only day 2) I am content to forgo the oils for now. My skin is not too dry and not too oily...it's juuuussst right (gosh, Goldilocks sticks in your head!) I am an athlete so I think my morning runs help to keep things moving through my pores, including my own oils. getting back into ocean swimming tomorrow, so it wil be interesting to see how the salt influences things. Should be great for my no-pooing which is also, by the way, excellent!
This is great...I hope everyone else is enjoying this as much as I am!
Can't wait to make up some poo balls too Uh oh, I think that was another thread...
#520 of 761 Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 PM

I haven't read through the entire thread but everything that I have read sounds so promising! My DH and I are eager to try washing our faces with honey, but he suffers from shaving bumps if he's not careful and I have eczema. In addition to that, we're both African American. Has anyone ever tried this on sensitive(ish) or darker skin? Has it worked?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#521 of 761 Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 PM

I have just started using honey to wash my face in the past couple of days and I love it so far! I just put some Jason Naturals Shae butter on my face tonight and it feels really greasy... I hope it all gets absorbed so my pillow doesn't get oily!

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#522 of 761 Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Just wanted to say three cheers for the jojoba oil! I apply it with a cotton ball usually and it absorbs quickly, leaving no greasy residue. I use Dessert Essence and it is inexpensive. Acne has really decreased and is now a rarity rather than a norm! Another thing I have used successfully for a long time is pure aloe vera gel. I was washing my face with honey but am now just using a very gentle cleanser; this does a better job of removing makeup when I wear it. Now that the acne is gone, I very rarely wear any liquid makeup or powder, though. Yeay!
#523 of 761 Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread but everything that I have read sounds so promising! My DH and I are eager to try washing our faces with honey, but he suffers from shaving bumps if he's not careful and I have eczema. In addition to that, we're both African American. Has anyone ever tried this on sensitive(ish) or darker skin? Has it worked?
I am also African American, and I recently began washing with Raw Honey and Baking Soda... it works very well. I try to use a good moisterizer afterward. I used to be afraid to use moisterizer, until I learned that my skin was actually dry, and not oily. I wash with the Honey and Baking Soda and apply a light moisterizer (it has worked well... I have been using it since May 2007).

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#524 of 761 Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM

Thank you!

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#525 of 761 Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 PM

i also started washing my face with raw honey, i have seen a difference in my skin, my pores look smaller, after i wash my face i use a mixture of vinegar and water(half and half) as a toner, my face glows
#526 of 761 Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 PM

I just started using honey to wash my face also--amazing that something so simple works so well! Isn't it insane how the media makes us think we need to use all these complicated, chemically-complex formulas?! I love MDC for all of these amazingly simple and natural ideas!!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#527 of 761 Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 AM

ITA! The 100% natural products (like MyChelle) are radically expensive. From now on, my facial cleanser costs as much as a jar of honey!
#528 of 761 Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 PM

i'm so gonna try this, my face is a mess this pregnancy. thanks
#529 of 761 Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm only on page 5 of 27 so perhaps someone knowledgeable can help me out before I'm done reading all the pages which I think will take all day and maybe more!

So tell me what I should be using.

Here is my skin:

~Acne, only since becoming an adult. I didn't have it in middle school or high school except for an occasional zit.
Now its bad. Its worst around my chin and even some on my upper lip.

~ tends to get dry on my forehead and cheeks

~is not very oily anywhere

~I have big pores on my nose and cheeks

~I wear light mineral makeup

Its such a mixture!

Last night I used plain honey in a mask. Then followed with a homemade lotion containing organic, virgin coconut oil, organic shea butter, organic cocoa butter, and propolis. The honey was local and raw.

My skin does feel pretty good today with just that. Is there something else I should be doing?

I've got some Aveda exfoliator I use a few times a week. Should I continue with it?

I tend to think less is more and am hesitant to add in aspirin or baking soda, etc.

Thanks in advance for your "diagnosis".

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#530 of 761 Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like you have a good regimen. I would actually stick with the Aveda exfoliator since you already have it - it's a bit more gentle than bs or aspirin. Try not to exfoliate more than every 2-3 days, and do the same with the honey mask. The only thing you may want to add is toner - Aveda makes a lovely rose scented one, or you can use ACV or witch hazel.

#531 of 761 Old 08-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
It sounds like you have a good regimen. I would actually stick with the Aveda exfoliator since you already have it - it's a bit more gentle than bs or aspirin. Try not to exfoliate more than every 2-3 days, and do the same with the honey mask. The only thing you may want to add is toner - Aveda makes a lovely rose scented one, or you can use ACV or witch hazel.

Is there anything else I can use that I might already have at home? I'm on a no-spending wagon right now.

ETA: I forgot to put in the first post that all my acne tends to start out red and then turn into pussy whiteheads. So gross. I wish I could afford the naturopath right now but really can't swing it right now.

#532 of 761 Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM

I washed my face with honey last night for the first time. my face felt so soft and refreshed. especially after putting on some shea butter. I will definately keep using this.
#533 of 761 Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Holy smokes, I just finished reading this entire thread! It took me two days! : I washed with Trader Joe's clover honey this morning and my face is so soft!

I get a handful of big zits every month right before AF and then also get sprinkles of random zits throughout the rest of the month. I get a zit in the same exact spot every AF. It's about one inch below the right corner of my mouth. WTF? It's been doing that for at least 3 years, except when I was pg. The only way I have found to keep my face this good (isn't it sad that this is considered good?) is by using Clean and Clear Daily Acne Wash. The main ingredient it benzoil peroxide I think.

So here's my question. I wear eye shadow and mascara during the work week. What's the best way to remove it? I can't use honey on my eyes can I? Right now I just use Kirkland brand face wipes from Costco - a far cry from natural and totally wasteful.

DH thinks I'm nuts. I can't wait to get to the Farmer's Market this weekend to pick up some raw honey!
#534 of 761 Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Megan - you can use vinegar then just fine.
#535 of 761 Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 AM

I've been doing this a few days.

Using this routine:
Last night I used plain honey in a mask. Then followed with a homemade lotion containing organic, virgin coconut oil, organic shea butter, organic cocoa butter, and propolis. The honey was local and raw.

Afterward my face is splotchy and red. It is itchy in some spots too.

A few minutes later it feels fine. Is this a problem?

#536 of 761 Old 08-15-2007, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Are you using hot water? The splotchy and red could be from hot water, the glycolic acid in the honey, or an allergy to one of the ingredients in the lotion.

I would try to use maybe lukewarm water, and see if you can just try one ingred from the lotion. Like maybe just coconut oil, or just shea butter.
#537 of 761 Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Afterward my face is splotchy and red. It is itchy in some spots too.
A few minutes later it feels fine. Is this a problem?
Honey is super acidic, like around 3? Your normal skin is somewhere around 5-6. If I give myself a honey mask, I do it in the shower, and I rinse off in no more than a minute or 2.

You can try adding a little bit of baking soda to counteract the acidity. It's also a great, gentle exfoliator. You might not want to scrub though because the glycolic acid (alpha hydroxy acid) in the honey exfoliates too.

The glycolic acid in the honey definitely would cause the redness too. Your face will eventually get used to it.

~Katie
#538 of 761 Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Thanks! I've got some pure shea right now but am waiting on more coconut oil.

I am using cold water. I'll start washing it off immediately.

#539 of 761 Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 PM

For those who moisturize with coconut oil, how much do you use? I'm still very paranoid about breaking out using honey instead of my acne wash. I'd like to switch over to a natural moisturizer and have organic virgin coconut oil in the cupboard just begging to be used. I'm scared it'll make me breakout! DH started washing with honey this am. I had already left for work so I haven't heard how he liked it. I wonder if he told all his manly-man friends at work about his adventures with honey!
#540 of 761 Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papschmitty View Post
So here's my question. I wear eye shadow and mascara during the work week. What's the best way to remove it? I can't use honey on my eyes can I? Right now I just use Kirkland brand face wipes from Costco - a far cry from natural and totally wasteful.
I wear makeup every day and I just wipe my face with warm water to get the foundation, mascarra and eyeshadow off before I wash with honey, I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and it's been great! I haven't broken out in any new zits and my old ones are disapearing!!! I might even be able to stop using foundation all together soon!

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page