Wash your face with honey! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 761 Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
~Acne, only since becoming an adult. I didn't have it in middle school or high school except for an occasional zit.
Now its bad. Its worst around my chin and even some on my upper lip.

~ tends to get dry on my forehead and cheeks

~is not very oily anywhere

~I have big pores on my nose and cheeks
Do you have some redness on your nose and cheeks? If so, it sounds more like Rosacea which often has specific triggers, like hot or spicy foods, tea, coffee, etc. You can easily look up potential triggers and do an elmination diet, watching for increased redness and breakouts when re-introducing a suspect food. (Fortunately, this sort of thing can be done one food at a time.) Or it could be Perioral Dermatitis, especially since it's mostly around your mouth.

I work in a cool pharmacy that makes all kinds of interesting things, and one thing we've just started making is a cream with green tea extract for rosacea, that also contains some other weird stuff (glycosaminoglycans, probably not so natural, and niacinamide, a form of vitamin B). Anyway, the green tea extract is supposed to be really great for the skin and the patients we've had feedback from are really finding that it's helping to actually *heal* their skin.

I think someone on this thread or on that other thread that Spastica linked to way back at the beginning of this tread mentioned Green Tea, so I'm really just seconding it. Drink it, apply it, whatever.

Such a huge thread, I only read the first 2 pages then skipped to the end.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#542 of 761 Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 PM

I just started this and it feels wonderful! I'm thinking of adding a little bit of organic powdered milk to the honey as I wash to give it some body and maybe add some lactic acid? I had heard of royalty taking milk and honey baths and figure that maybe adding some of the milk (I couldn't stomach the though of putting liquid milk from the fridge on my face, weird) would definitely be a benefit.

Between the olive oil washing method (which works great at taking off eye make-up and is so gentle around the delicate eye area) and the honey washing, my skin is absolutely looking radiant!

Now if only I could find a toner recipe......

-Kim
#543 of 761 Old 08-17-2007, 02:34 PM

I'm pretty sure its not rosacea. I can happen with most anything that irritates my skin. that's why I'm all natural now and only using things that are very gentle.

The breakouts are definitely pimples. They are probably around my chin due to the cycle of getting something, messing with it which puts more oil there and irritates the skin, and repeat.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#544 of 761 Old 08-23-2007, 05:06 PM

I'm on day three, and so far I like it. I have rosacea and had to quit using OCM because the hot water needed to remove the oils was making my condition worse I had been using natural soap bars and having ok results but felt they were a little too cleansing. I was compensating with coconut oil but given the fact that its August in Texas...my face was a greasy, sweaty mess two minutes after walking out the door. So far, I have been feeling a tad greasy by evening but nothing I can't deal with. I like the fact that my skin is not stripped after washing. It's not making my rosacea any worse either which is good. I need to add some green tea and I'm waiting on shea butter which I plan to use sparingly at night everywhere but my t-zone. Hooray for honey, lol.
#545 of 761 Old 08-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Does honey take off makeup too or should I add something to it? I wear mineral foundation over a concealer. Suggestions? Thanks!
#546 of 761 Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&D2005 View Post
Does honey take off makeup too or should I add something to it? I wear mineral foundation over a concealer. Suggestions? Thanks!
I use Dr Bronner's to wash off the make up and then use the honey immediately. Dr Bronner's is gentle but it dries out my skin. The honey adds in the extra moisture I need.

Update for me, my skin looks much better. I've not noticed nearly as many breakouts. And I don't need to moisturize anymore!

#547 of 761 Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 PM

I wouldn't dare put any soap near my eyes - ouch! I use a little oil (like coconut, or any oil really) on a cotton ball. It removes my eye makeup lickety-split!
#548 of 761 Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&D2005 View Post
Honey works just fine for me.
#549 of 761 Old 08-25-2007, 01:25 AM

I wear mineral makeup -foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, etc., and the honey (well, I use honey/green tea) takes it all off.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#550 of 761 Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMama36 View Post

Now if only I could find a toner recipe......
Toner

1 part water
1 part witch hazel
2 parts apple cider vinegar
3 aspirin per cup of toner (will dissolve on it's own)

This gives you AHAs and BHAs- wrinkle fighting compounds, so it makes you more sensitive to sunlight and attendant damage, so use this before bed and/or before applying sunblock. You can play with the amount of water in it. Feels clean and refreshing.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#551 of 761 Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 AM

**Leta** with the honey and green tea combo, do you make tea and add it to the honey or do you use the leaves with the honey? Is it ok to use the natural one that containes caffeine? Thanks again!
#552 of 761 Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Oh I am so excited about this! I (blush) um... haven't showered yet today... well I am going to right now! I can't wait to try it!

I too am curious about the green tea/honey mix... tell us more!
#553 of 761 Old 08-30-2007, 07:04 PM

So I'm not feeling the honey love as much as I'd like. To keep things reigned in, I used Clean and Clear Continuous Acne Control. I usually have 2 or 3 larger pimples throughout the month in various spots (most often on my chin or outer cheek bones) and then break out a little worse when AF comes. I've been using honey twice a day and exfoliating with baking soda every 3 days. I'm not any worse but I'm not better either. I also think my face my be a little greasier. What should I do?
#554 of 761 Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 PM

I have a little question... I've been using honey to wash my face for a month or so, and I love it, but I was wondering about hte exact method y'all use to store and apply it. I mixed up a tablespoon or so of raw honey with a little water in a squeeze bottle, and had it on the bathroom counter. Over a week or so it totally fermented- bubbles, alcoholic smell and all. This doesn't seem okay, but I don't want to have to use a spoon and mix up each batch every time I wash my face-- I just know I'll never do it! Does the green tea mixture help prevent the fermentation? The one upstairs in the shower exploded the lid off itself, it was so ripe!

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#555 of 761 Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanna View Post
I have a little question... I've been using honey to wash my face for a month or so, and I love it, but I was wondering about hte exact method y'all use to store and apply it. I mixed up a tablespoon or so of raw honey with a little water in a squeeze bottle, and had it on the bathroom counter. Over a week or so it totally fermented- bubbles, alcoholic smell and all. This doesn't seem okay, but I don't want to have to use a spoon and mix up each batch every time I wash my face-- I just know I'll never do it! Does the green tea mixture help prevent the fermentation? The one upstairs in the shower exploded the lid off itself, it was so ripe!
I bought a little squeeze bottle from the travel toiletries section at target. I filled it was raw honey from my local farmer's market - straight up, no water added. I make sure my face it wet, sqeeze the honey into the palm of my hand and apply. I keep the honey bottle in the shower. It's been there for about 2 weeks now and I haven't had any problem with it getting nasty.
#556 of 761 Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
cjr

I just keep my little 8 oz jar beside the shower. I wash up then towel dry my face and hand, then dip my fingers in the jar. I figure I'm not eating it, my hands are clean so it should not be an issue. I like to apply it thick like a mask.
#557 of 761 Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=papschmitty;9046098]So I'm not feeling the honey love as much as I'd like. I usually have 2 or 3 larger pimples throughout the month in various spots (most often on my chin or outer cheek bones) and then break out a little worse when AF comes. QUOTE]

I am in exactly the same boat. I've always had this type of acne, as a teen and still as an adult. It's so frustrating! I have been rotating using, honey, baking soda, Dr. Bronner's, tee tree oil, toning with witch hazel, moisturizing with CO (not all at the same time of course) and really haven't seen much difference. I did use the Green Tea the other day and it seemed to have toned down my redness and swelling of the pimples that were under the skin. I then forgot my glass with tea and the bag on the edge of the tub and later that night when I washed up for bed, I rubbed the tea bag all over my face and kept dipping it back into the water (after washing with bronners). Today my face seems to be more under control. I'm not sure if it was the tea or the fact that I'm at a "calm" point in my monthly cycle. But I'm going to try this ever couple of days to see if it makes any difference.
#558 of 761 Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 AM

Snitker, how do you make and how do you use the green tea exactly?
#559 of 761 Old 08-31-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I'm not feeling the honey love as much as I'd like. To keep things reigned in, I used Clean and Clear Continuous Acne Control. I usually have 2 or 3 larger pimples throughout the month in various spots (most often on my chin or outer cheek bones) and then break out a little worse when AF comes. I've been using honey twice a day and exfoliating with baking soda every 3 days. I'm not any worse but I'm not better either. I also think my face my be a little greasier. What should I do?
You might want to try to add a little bit of ground up aspirin vs. baking soda. The salicytate will help control the acne, better than baking soda. Also make sure you are toning and moisturizing. It's also wise, when you have cystic acne, to be aware of any foods you are eating that may be causing it. Dairy is a big one - try cutting it out for a week and see if your face clears up.

hth
#560 of 761 Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM

I'm really enjoying the honey a lot. My face feels softer. I no longer get tight dry spots that need lotion.

I use it like a mask to answer an above question.

I'm not sure if my skin is getting better as far as acne but I've not tried anything else like adding aspirin (we don't have any in the house) so I might take it a step further.

#561 of 761 Old 09-16-2007, 11:41 PM

#562 of 761 Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM

I was soooo excited to try this!!

I have been using a Shu Umura cleansing oil for the last year(40 bucks a bottle!) but over the last few months I've been breaking out terribly. I also have very dry skin and it flakes off.

I bought raw honey in a squeeze bottle from the local hfs on saturday and four days later I can already see a change in my skin! I haven't gotten one new pimple and my face isn't flaking AT ALL! All over it is much softer and smoother in color and texture. I'm hoping it keeps working. I LOVE IT!

I plan to buy unrefined shea butter next...

So nice to have an all natural facewash

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#563 of 761 Old 09-20-2007, 01:59 PM

subbing.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#564 of 761 Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 PM

I'm coming up on 2 months of this new regime....I'm still quite happy. I wash with honey alone first thing in the morning, then shower a few hours later with honey and bicarb, then another wash before bed with honey and BS. This might be overkill on the BS but it seems to be keeping my skin at a perfect moisture level. Break-outs are ok, not miraculously cured but definitely better. I'll try the ground asprin trick too.

I so love the fact that I walk down the aisles in the market full of the crap they try to convince you will help....and I'm free of it! Yeah!
#565 of 761 Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzariaJordan View Post
I'll try the ground asprin trick too.
You don't actually have to grind it, if you get the uncoated kind it dissolves in water or witchazel or whatever... that's what it does in your tummy too!

Quote:
I so love the fact that I walk down the aisles in the market full of the crap they try to convince you will help....and I'm free of it! Yeah!
I know, it's such a great feeling!
#566 of 761 Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Wow! I can't believe how long this thread is!

I thought I would just share my results. I have been using honey as the main ingrediant for my skincare since Nov 06, for some reason I hit 30 and my skin went wacko on me. Anyway it took a while for my skin to adjust to the honey; I think about 4-6 wks before I started noticing continued results. Right off the bat I got soft skin and the tightness went away. After about a week the oily and dry spots balanced out. Once the acne break out cleared up the honey seemed to keep the zits at bay. I was also using various oils to moisterize...again it took a long time and different oils for me to find the right one. I went through jojoba, vco, olive, shea butter and finally rose hip. The later is the one that works best for me. I still use shea at night when I have dry patches that need extra attention or right before AF since that is when I am most prone to break outs.

Now I use a mix of Honey and oat flour in the am. In the p.m. I use olive oil to remove all my make up, then use just plain o'l honey to wash. I tone with green tea/avc (Thank you Leta) finish with rosehip oil and a couple drops of lavender oil.

Oh one last thing - I use pure raw honey in liquid form, I keep the bottle in the shower.
#567 of 761 Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Alright, I'm trying this tonight. I mysteriously broke out bad 2 months ago and out of desperation I bought the ProActive products. Well, it's been nearly 7 weeks, and I'm still breaking out and my skin looks so dry and awful. It's along my jaw line and it has me completely baffled...

Should I try the asprin, too? Or just one thing at a time? My skin is sensitive and I don't want to mess it up anymore... :

I really hope this works!
#568 of 761 Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I was referred to this thread from another board because of my desperation with my skin. I am really excited to start washing with honey and seeing some results from a not only cheap and delicious, but NATURAL wash. I'm also intrigued by the idea of using Bare Minerals make-up, so I can I ask where everyone gets theirs? Do you get it on the Bare Minerals main site or do you order from another site????

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#569 of 761 Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
I'm also intrigued by the idea of using Bare Minerals make-up, so I can I ask where everyone gets theirs? Do you get it on the Bare Minerals main site or do you order from another site????
I got my mineral makeup from a Sheer Miracle co-op here on MDC.
#570 of 761 Old 09-28-2007, 01:17 AM

am I the only one who eats the honey while washing my face with it? scrub scrub -hmm, just a little snack- scrub scrub

I am worse than winnie the pooh

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page