Wash your face with honey! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 761 Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
Yep, bs is baking soda (in this case!) I just take a little in may hand (maybe a tablespoon or so) and scrub down with it. It's great for a gentle exfoliant. I'm not sure on the exact chemistry of why/how it works (something to do with the alkali bonding with the grease to create a soap/detergent... chem's not my strong suit). It's also what I use for no-pooing.
Thank you! I think I get it now. It seems like it's worth a try and cheaper than organic soap!
#32 of 761 Old 10-21-2006, 12:26 AM

I love the honey. The funny thing me and my dh noticed was that when you wash your face with honey you end up tasting it. And it is so yummy of course. This makes me want to stick with the honey, because I dont want to eat some nasty chemical...noxema oh lord! I havent used that stuff in years though...but i probably ate it when i did! The honey seemed to calm some pregnancy acne I am dealing with and my face feels nice and soft. So I recommend it!

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#33 of 761 Old 10-21-2006, 01:11 AM

I tried it last night and tonight. I'm really surprised that something so simple like honey can make such a difference! I love it ... WAY better than the plain soap I was using. My skin feels soft, and so radiant.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#34 of 761 Old 10-21-2006, 01:51 AM

Wow, that is so cool!!
#35 of 761 Old 10-21-2006, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Whoohoo! I'm glad you guys like it.

yes, mellybelly it is SO yummy!

Whoever was asking about the redness - My skin does that too. I think it's because the honey is a little bit acidic. As long as it's not burning/ itching/uncomfortable I'd say you're fine.
#36 of 761 Old 10-21-2006, 02:42 PM

I'm really curious as to why this works. Does it only work with serious acne? Or will it work as maintenance? Anyone have a clue? I know it works as a moisturizer (my now lovely hair can witness that!) and an antibiotic on the infected pores but does it clean? Or stave off the grease I over-prduce on my face? Sorry if this is really obvious!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#37 of 761 Old 10-22-2006, 01:42 PM

MonPetit:

For severe acne, you need to cleanse your skin first with something gentle and exfoliate to get rid of clogging cells and then use something to kill acne bacteria.

My homemade "alternative ProActiv" solution is mentioned here. I don't use any benzoyl peroxide in my regimen, so you won't get the irritation, redness, or wrinkling associated with peroxide:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=426638
#38 of 761 Old 10-22-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

But wouldn't the glycolic acid content of the honey work as a gentle exfoliator? And then the abx properties would clean the pores. I suppose if you wanted more exfoliation you could add in a little baking soda or use a washcloth, but it seems like the plain honey works fine.
#39 of 761 Old 10-22-2006, 10:46 PM

I used honey last night and today with just a touch of bs mixed in with it...loved it! I'll probably keep that in my rotation. I already use/rotate OCM and an oat flour/salt/bs scrub. Thanks for the tip on honey!
#40 of 761 Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 AM

Thanks Annie!!!
I tried this the past couple of nights. My skin actually liked the hot humid Hawaii Now that we are here and I am pregnant, my skin is all dried and irritated. Dh even says my skin is softer. Love this. The girls want to do it too, but I am scared that they would have a honey mess in their hair, not what I feel like washing out
#41 of 761 Old 10-23-2006, 01:13 PM

I've done this off and on.

I used to use all kinds of products on my very bad complexion, but then after one of my pregnancies, my skin improved, but still broke out. My friend told me to STOP WASHING.

I switched to mineral makeup (Herbs of Grace) and stopped using anything but Jojoba Oil with lavendar here and there.

My skin is good now. And I save tons of $$$.

Now I;m curious about not shampooing...
#42 of 761 Old 10-24-2006, 07:30 PM

Why? Why have I not heard of this before?? I read this a couple of days ago, started using honey to wash my face, and see a dramatic improvement in my skin, after only four washings! I also used honey in my hair today. LOVE it. I am going to save so much freakin' money! There is a fortune of new and half used skincare/haircare products under my sink. I wonder if I can take them all back.....

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#43 of 761 Old 10-24-2006, 07:37 PM

I used to use honey all the time. I quit because I wore too much makeup to have the honey do it's thing for my skin. Today, I added bs to the honey (after only wearing a tinted mineral sunscreen), and looooooved the heck out of that concoction. Thanks to whomever (Spastica??) suggested it here. It is the BEST gentle scrub I've EVER used (and I grew up and now work in the beauty industry). That's some good stuff right there! I didn't even use my regular wash first. My skin felt perfectly balanced, and I did my normal facial mist and tinted mineral sunscreen, and my face feels amaaaaaazing today. I'm so addicted to MDC. Ya'll rock!
#44 of 761 Old 10-25-2006, 12:40 AM

gush, gush, gush...

I've been doing this for (a week??) now. My face has NEVER felt this wonderful! I have to admit, I didn't immediately see the results you were all talking about, but I'm stubborn and stuck it out and today, my face is glowing So cheap, so pleasant! No more nasty grimy greasy face for me! Freedom from consumer products is just lovely!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#45 of 761 Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Alright, alright. I'll try it.

I was skeptical when I first read this thread because I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun to tackle my adult acne on my forehead and blackheads on my nose. But with so many people gushing about honey, I washed with it last night and used a commercial toner afterwards. (That's okay, right?)

I'll keep you posted about how it goes!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#46 of 761 Old 10-25-2006, 03:09 PM

Depends on the ingredients of the toner. Some "toners" are actually skin strippers, but they won't advertise that! What are you using? I'm a "label whore" when it comes to beauty products (last to go was poo!).
#47 of 761 Old 10-25-2006, 03:30 PM

I just tried it and I loved it! Thanks OP for starting this thread!

It wasn't as messy as I thought it'd be, and I didn't use as much honey as I thought I would - just about half a tea spoon! And the honey I have is "grainy", so it was a great scrub!

#48 of 761 Old 10-25-2006, 03:32 PM

THANKS!!! My skin feels sooooo soft! I love it!

What's everybody using for a moisturizer after? Or, are you not?
#49 of 761 Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I don't use a toner or moisturizer with the honey. Sometimes I use this Dr. Weil Mushroom serum I got at Origins. shrug. It works. I also like to use Shea butter as a moisturizer, especially if I'm having a dry spell. Shea is great for acne too.

Toner is good if you are using a face wash, because you need to restore your skin's ph. I haven't found that I needed a toner with the honey. If you want to use something "natural" I would try a spray bottle of water, a dash of witchhazel and some rose or lavendar water or EO.

Glad it's working for everyone!!!

I didn't have any honey yesterday. so I used a peppermint facewash and my face felt SO tight and dry. It was totally burning. I'm never going back to facewash!
#50 of 761 Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
Depends on the ingredients of the toner. Some "toners" are actually skin strippers, but they won't advertise that! What are you using? I'm a "label whore" when it comes to beauty products (last to go was poo!).
I'm using Nature's Gate Organics Tone Back the Clock. If it's not necessary, I'm all for stopping it. I'm just a little scared that if the honey doesn't work (like everything else hasn't), I'll break out even worse...kinda like putting all my eggs in one basket.

What I had been using is the Nature's Gate Acne Treatment Kit, and that has worked best of anything. Still, in the aftermath of stopping BC pills, my acne gets even worse in the run-up to AF. And even besides the "special" acne I get then, what I have on my "clear" days is still upsetting. I'm an adult, dammit! Why can't I have a clear face? :

But...I'm on day two of honey. No real change yet, but I'll keep y'all posted. Is there anything I can/should do in addition to the honey to get best results?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#51 of 761 Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Is there anything I can/should do in addition to the honey to get best results?
I don't know much about toner, but it seems like witchazel would be a good one, reduces inflammation right? I use orange floral water, yum

You could try aspirin masks, could also add the dissolved/crushed aspirin in the honey...

A couple things I do are castor oil facials during epsom salt baths--really, really helps. And instead of moisturizer I mix food grade aloe vera gel with jojoba oil and one drop of anti acne eo.

Also think about your digestion & detoxification, esp if your breakouts are mainly around cheek or jawline area. The skin is an emergency exit for toxins when the normal detox system is overwhelmed, so when superficial treatments aren't working well often the problem is internal.
#52 of 761 Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I use a "toner" from Juice Beauty that they have as a hydrating mist. I love it, and find little need for moisture if I use it, but then I put their tinted SPF30 on over it, which is a moisturizer. I don't get too moisty, but I could do w/out it if I weren't after the SPF. I love shea too, but it's SPF is only rated about a 4 (some is better than none), and I always keep it in the house. I just love shea! Great for the hair too!
#53 of 761 Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM

I have to say I was using the honey and it was fine. Then I decided to do a spontaneous spa and did a honey/brown sugar scrub.

It! Was! Amazing! I have combo blah skin and my face has never felt this wonderful (and such a bummer I 'accidentally' licked some )!

Thank you Spastica...:
#54 of 761 Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=snozzberry;6368850]I'm using Nature's Gate Organics Tone Back the Clock. If it's not necessary, I'm all for stopping it. I'm just a little scared that if the honey doesn't work (like everything else hasn't), I'll break out even worse...kinda like putting all my eggs in one basket.

I read the ingredients of the toner, and it sounds as good as any good toner can be, in all honesty. Not perfect, but pretty damn great, so don't give it up if it's working. Honey, alone never worked for me when I was using it 10 years ago or so. Skin changes. Make sure you're giving it SOME kind of moisture (like the honey, which is a humectant, and your toner has some moisturizing goods in it). Skin needs moisture, or it will overproduce it's own (oil). Try to wash morning and evening as well, and drink lots of water. Here I am, lecturing, and not taking the advice!
I can honestly say that the adding of bs to the honey has made a HUGE difference in only twice of doing it. It gently exfoliates, warms up the skin (which opens the pores), and honey is an antibacterial. My period zits cleared right up. Anyway, if you tell me what your skin is like, and how old you are, I can make other suggestions. I've tried countless commercial, over the counter, and department products you can imagine. I like Juice Beauty, but I bought more products of theirs that I won't replace when gone. I'll use their wash, hydrating mist, and tinted SPF30. I'm a 3-stepper, myself. If I crave a "mask", I can make one at home!
#55 of 761 Old 10-26-2006, 10:33 PM

It didn't work for me! It made my skin SUPER dry! Oh, well. I'll stick to my OCM- that works wonders for me!

Shannon
#56 of 761 Old 10-27-2006, 01:09 AM

That stinks! I'm sorry!
#57 of 761 Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Oh no! Bummer Shannon! What type of honey are you using? Maybe you are allergic to something?

What is OCM???
#58 of 761 Old 10-27-2006, 02:33 AM

I use the stuff in the bear jar (can't remember what it's called). My face has been super itchy and really red today, too!

OCM is Oil Cleansing Method. It's where you use oil to clean and moisturize your face. I use extra virgin olive oil. That's worked great for me and my zitty skin. I've even gotten complements on how clear my skin looks.

Back to the honey, I really like the idea of using it, so should I try a different brand? Maybe organic?

Shannon
#59 of 761 Old 10-27-2006, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, yeah, I would try an organic brand, or even a raw honey. Do you tend to have sensitive skin? Really dry skin? Are you washing your face with HOT water? That can really dry out your skin. I think the bear stuff is pretty processed. So what I would do is try a good moisturizer right afterward and/or switch brands.

Ahhh, I've tried the oil method. That's nice too.
#60 of 761 Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I saw that you said itchy...are you allergic to honey? Is there a chance it could be from something else?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page