Wash your face with honey! - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#571 of 764 Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol Winnie the Pooh......

I use Herbs of Grace mineral makeup from www.herbsofgrace.com Unlike some brands, it truly is 100% natural mineral. No dyes, no carmine (from crushed beetles), no cornstarch, no rice powder, no synthetic ingredients whatsoever. They have a great selection of colors, but I actually got some of the "bulk unblended pigments" so I can mix my own eyeshadow/blush/lipcolors from scratch. Oh, the fun I have with that
#572 of 764 Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
am I the only one who eats the honey while washing my face with it? scrub scrub -hmm, just a little snack- scrub scrub

I am worse than winnie the pooh
Every time I wash with honey I crave a bran muffin. I remember as a kid loving warm raisin bran muffins with honey. Take a bite and slather honey on the hole, take another bite and add more honey.... Mmmmmm.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#573 of 764 Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM

I have been using the honey method for about 8 months, and I really, really love it. My skin is soft, seems moisture balanced, really pretty looking... EXCEPT it hasn't curbed the breakouts. I tried switching to raw honey, and used bergamot oil (heard it was good for breakouts) but not much, if any, difference.

I finally gave in and am using the Proactiv regimen at night. In the morning, I still use honey. It's the best balance I can do, because honestly, my skin has been totally clear AND soft on this system. I hated to use something laden with chemical, but I didn't know what else to do, my skin was terrible.
#574 of 764 Old 09-29-2007, 01:18 AM

mama2jackie, your breakouts probably come from an overburdened liver, whether it's overburdened by a hormone problem or a digestion problem. Esp if the acne is mostly around the jaw and cheekbone area, and esp if it is includes cysts. You'd need to treat that internally.

Bergamot oil? Do you mean bergamot essential oil? Unless it is bergaptine free, I would advise you to stop using it on skin that is exposed to the sun immediately. It can cause extreme photosensitivity resulting in serious burns.
#575 of 764 Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Sphinxie, thank you! I'm going to look up some information on that, do you have a place to point me? I've really always thought it was internal, because NOTHING I've ever done has stopped it.

I got the bergamot oil on a suggestion from someone here, and it does say that increases sun sensitivity, but I use at least spf 30 every day, so I wasn't concerned with that. Is that okay, do you think?
#576 of 764 Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 AM

So this is good for more mature, drier skin as well, right? One of my friends thinks she is wrinkly (she isn't) but she does have dry skin and is convinced that honey will be too drying. It's good for all skin types, right?

Also, my blackheads have come back a little. I'm probably not drinking enough water which I do think makes a difference, but any other suggestions with the honey for this? I thought jojoba helped me the most, but I'm still using that. I use honey, bs, jojoba/rosehip.
#577 of 764 Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM

I consider myself to have dry skin (my whole life) and am 36 (you can figure out if that is mature skin, I can't) and I love my honey!! Summer and winter I use it straight from the bottle in the shower. Your friend should try it and see what she thinks after a bit of time has passed.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#578 of 764 Old 11-22-2007, 12:16 PM

Friend and I are both 35, just didn't want to say wrinkly. I dont' think of myself as "aging" but I do feel like my skin is different than it was 10 years ago, and I think I've gotten a little drier. I love the honey though.
#579 of 764 Old 11-24-2007, 03:01 AM

i can't wait to try the honey!

the only thing...i wear mascara...any suggestions on a remover before the honey?
#580 of 764 Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 PM

I posted a few earlier about it not being enough to curb my acne, and that is still true, but I did go back to the honey eventually. Now my question is not honey related, though, I've had quite a few blackheads all over my nose and forehead. It just doesn't seem all the way clean, what can I add or change? I usually use the bs and honey every other day, and honey every day.
#581 of 764 Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyfakename View Post
i can't wait to try the honey!

the only thing...i wear mascara...any suggestions on a remover before the honey?
I use cotton cosmetic pads soaked in olive oil.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#582 of 764 Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Hmm, sounds like a good idea to try with my rosacea. A lot better idea than slathering antibiotics all over my face.
#583 of 764 Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 PM

I love the honey. I like using the baking soda, but my skin seemed to oily after I moisturized it with coconut oil. So I'm gonna try sticking with plain honey for a few days.
#584 of 764 Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 PM

WOW! I am going to have to try honey...Everything I have tried either leaves my face a mess or too dry. Plus with honey it has a nice smell and taste.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#585 of 764 Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 PM

wow this is a monster thread. i haven't read it all, but am going to give this a try, thanks!
#586 of 764 Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM

after trying the honey i am now quite honestly obsessed. i've started slathering it all over my body and hair and gotten my not-so-crunchy sister interested.

thanks ladies!

did i read something about ACV? are there more uses besides as a conditioner?
#587 of 764 Old 12-25-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
I've done this off and on.

I used to use all kinds of products on my very bad complexion, but then after one of my pregnancies, my skin improved, but still broke out. My friend told me to STOP WASHING.

I switched to mineral makeup (Herbs of Grace) and stopped using anything but Jojoba Oil with lavendar here and there.

My skin is good now. And I save tons of $$$.

Now I;m curious about not shampooing...
Hey cdmaze I was just wondering, how long does the jar of herbs of grace foundation last??? I'm trying to compare cost with bare minerals and other mineral makeups. I thought maybe of trying the sample but then I figured if you use it on aregular basis you'd probably know the best.
#588 of 764 Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
bought organic raw honey at new seasons.... tried it tonight, i like it so far, cant wait to see some results after using it a few days!!! my skin feels soft so far. but my skin is pretty good anyway, without honey... so at the moment it looks the same.
#589 of 764 Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyfakename View Post
did i read something about ACV? are there more uses besides as a conditioner?
You could dilute it and use it as a toner, although with honey you don't really need toner, since honey is mildly acidic.
#590 of 764 Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM

I started using honey to wash my face back in early November, I believe, maybe longer. I'm very happy with it! I'm not getting crazy breakouts like I did previously - if I get a pimple, it's small and goes away quickly. I plan to purchase raw honey next time I find it and see if that makes any difference.

Jill, current Pugmama to 3, anxiously awaiting the arrival of our first two-legged baby July 1st.
#591 of 764 Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 AM

What do you all use for handsoap? hand lotion? I've been meaning to replace our regular old liquid handsoap, but haven't gotten to it yet. Now with the winter, my and DS's hands are getting so dry and itchy. I've been cooking and washing dishes a lot the last few days, and my hands literally started to hurt and crack. I've been moisturizing them every couple of days with coconut oil, but that doesn't seem to help very much. I've also tried olive oil which seems about the same. Yesterday there were stinging and itching so much, I dug out some Victoria Secret moisturizer and just soaked my hands in it, and I tell you what- it helped! A lot more than the coconut oil, but then I hand this icky chemical smell and taste on my hands. I'm afraid it will end up getting in the food I prepare for the family if I keep using it. So... what do I do? What do all you wise women use for hand soap and hand moisturizer? I've been thinking about even hand washing with honey, but I don't know if it will really do a good enough job of washing germs and stuff. Help, please!
#592 of 764 Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 AM

Wow, I can't believe how long this thread is!

I used to wash only with honey and (i think it was from leaving the jar in the humid shower all the time) the last bit of the honey got all crystallized, ya know? Well, then it was like a great honey-sugar scrub w/ exfoliating power!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#593 of 764 Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonymama View Post
What do you all use for handsoap? hand lotion?
For handsoap, I use unscented goatsmilk soap bars that I order through my local grocery delivery. In general they say that goatsmilk makes the best handsoap.

For lotion, we use shea butter. The two sources I know of are http://oyinhandmade.com/ and http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/shea_butter.htm
#594 of 764 Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
It really works!

I am a massage therapist, and have been having the worst trouble with my skin. I think I get the lotion on my face somehow (by brushing my hair away, itching,, ect.) and it just makes me break out terribly. I also have really sensitive skin, so pretty much every face product makes me break out in dermatitis. Add in to that Hawaii's heat and humidity and it's just a sad, downhill slope for my skin

Well, one of the estheticians that I work with has been trying to help me find something that I can use, that won't make it worse (I work for Aveda, so we are all pretty crunchy there and well versed in natural care for the body). Anyway, she suggested I start washing my face with plain honey, since it's a natural antibiotic and moisturizer.

I tried it and it's amazing. By two washes my face has cleared up completely, and not only that - it's glowing!!! Seriously, I don't think my skin has ever looked this nice!! We are both converts now!

Just wanted to share with you all.

I have some honey in the house, so I'm going to try this. I have sensitive skin too and struggle to find a face cleaner that doesn't leave me dry and feeling tight.

Peace
#595 of 764 Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 PM

So I got this raw honey from wild oats and it says "pure honey" but not 100% pure. This is the website: www.honeygardens.com
It's probably pure, right? Am I being retentive wanting that 100% on the label or are some 'earthy" companies deceptive? There is no ingredients list.

I usually get some raw stuff from whole foods that is more local and is only 3.99, but says raw honey. Does the kind matter that much? Or just that it's pure?
#596 of 764 Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
whoo-hoo!!! I am so glad it's working for everyone! just as a side note, honey is a natural source of glycolic acid, which should be a good enough exfoliator in and of itself. the glycolic is a great way to shrink pores too.

love the sea salt idea. this is great. the baking soda was too harsh for my skin, so I'm back on the straight honey and loving it!!!
I'm really enjoying the information in here. I took our almost empty honey bear and some organic baking soda with me to the shower and make a little facial scrub. I used just a tiny amount of baking soda in the honey. When I got out and looked in the mirror my cheeks were pretty red. Guess I should lay off the baking soda too, or maybe just make a BS mask once a week? I bought some regular non-coated aspirin at the store today to make an aspirin mask too. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#597 of 764 Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 AM

I need to show my husband post 231 .

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#598 of 764 Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is something you need to treat internally. I find that any of the "tonic herbs" are excellent for treating skin issues. I would go for yellow dock/milk thistle tincture or dandelion/milk thistle tincture. You could also take liquid chlorophyll. All are great at oxygenating the blood and gently help the liver detox - EXCELLENT for skin. If you're using the honey and still not getting the "glow" this is probably the extra little kicker you need! Good luck. It also doesn't hurt to throw in a good quality probiotic. Remember, our skin is our largest organ! Anything going on internally is going to show up there first.
Good info to know

#599 of 764 Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
I think so. The improvement I saw was subtle but still distinct. In combination with everything else I've done, it has added up to a remarkable improvement. (Actually I saw a similar improvement with cetaphil, but I prefer honey over cetaphil. OTOH the cetaphil bottle is great for reusing!)

One thing I do sometimes is I'll massage the honey in for several seconds, like they recommend with OCM. I've felt some small blackheads get dislodged this way, I think it helps the honey to pick up unwanted matter more thoroughly, and I'm sure it's overall good for the skin.

Recently I added a small amount of helichrysum essential oil, known for its dramatic healing properties, to the jojoba oil I moisturize with. I haven't been paying close attention to the minute appearance of my skin, but I have notived that the texture is much softer and smoother, and I've even been using chapstick less though I don't usually deliberately get the oil on my lips. It's a nice neutral honey-like smell, too, which is good for me because I generally prefer not to have perfume on my face.
More good info

#600 of 764 Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Temple - Jawline sounds like it may be from your hair. You may need to wash your hair more frequently, change your hair products, wash/change your pillowcases more often, and sleep with your hair tied back. Certain conditioners and shampoos make your face break out. Some people get back acne and have no idea it's from all that conditioner they rinse out of their hair that is running down their back. Try washing your face and back again after you shampoo/condition and see if that helps. You can also post what you're using in your hair and we can see if that's perhaps causing some sort of reaction.

Coconut oil does make a great facial moisturzer in small amounts, doesn't it? I like it a lot
Jawline thru temple breakouts is my main problem. I use just whatever shampoo and conditioner I grab first at the store. Recently I've been using shampoo and separate conditioner for color-treated hair. I usually skip 1-2 days inbetween showers.

I'll try buying a few more pillowcases so I can have a clean one every couple of nights. Right now I only have one for my pillow. Thanks for all the great ideas .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page