Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#602 of 765 Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
If you're washing with honey you don't really need to tone.
What if you're using honey + baking soda or honey + brown sugar?

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#603 of 765 Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 AM

Bumping on the chance someone knows the answer to the above question .

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#604 of 765 Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Guess I should lay off the baking soda too, or maybe just make a BS mask once a week? I bought some regular non-coated aspirin at the store today to make an aspirin mask too. Maybe I'll try that tonight.
I use oat bran as an exfoliator, and it's awesome.
#605 of 765 Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM

What is OCM and SLS?
#606 of 765 Old 01-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilStinkweed View Post
What is OCM and SLS?
Oil Cleansing Method. Search it for LOTS of info!

I have been using honey for 3 weeks now. I didn't notice much of a change, but I figured if my skin hadn't gotten worse after giving up the expensive stuff, then it was worth the change!

However, I just went on a trip with my mother and still had a travel bottle of my old stuff. Four days. I come home after four days with my skin red, blotchy, dry, and in the beginning stages of breaking out. I go straight to the shower and use my honey/green tea mixture... heaven! My skin immediately felt better.
#607 of 765 Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM

I've had the typical breakouts since I hit puberty. I've washed with honey then moisturized with coconut oil for the last three days. I think I'm doing good, or at least better than before. As a few PPs have said, if I'm not seeing miraculous results then at least my skin isn't getting any worse. Of course it's only been three days so I can't really judge yet.

I'm washing with honey and moisturizing. I haven't used a mask yet but I want to try one once a week. I bought some aspirin but I'm not sure I'll use that. I'm also drinking more water and cut way back on drinking milk.

Well, we'll see. I never get my hopes up that anything will work, iykwim

#608 of 765 Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM

I felt like I had great results when I moisturized with jojoba, but when I tried coconut oil and some olive oil concontions or even rosehip oil I seemed to break out a little. : I'm trying to stick with what worked the firs ttime, (honey, bs, jojoba) but I did just get an Avalon Organics moisturizer, just for winter when I feel dry and want something that soaks in fast.
Does coconut oil make anyone else break out?
#609 of 765 Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Hazelnut, coconut oil was pretty good for me, but I still had to use aspirin toner every day to minimize breakouts. I switched to emu oil and my skin has never been clearer, and I rarely use the aspirin toner now. Emu oil soaks in better and deeper than anything else I've tried. It's very anti-inflammatory and healing. (I wash my face with honey first.)
#610 of 765 Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 PM

wow I've never heard of emu oil.
what kind of aspirin toner do you use? I use acv and now a green tea one mixed with witch hazel. I am definitely more even-toned, but it's hard to say if it's the acv or honey or bs.

eta: wow it really is made from emus. not vegan here but why is that sort of...icky sounding.
#611 of 765 Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 AM

Yes it is a monster thread.

I'm 2 days in! Using Castor oil for cleansing, then raw honey, then jojoba oil to moisturize.

Steam and warm water opens pores, shocking cold water closes them, so I gotta remember that when I wash. Jojoba is the most penetrating oil, because it's cells are so small. olive oil has huge cells. I tried sea salt with the honey, ouch! The rest of my face was fine, but the few places where I have break outs took a beating. The were red and stung, Looked mucho bado. Castor oil is hard to get off, it just intrigues me for it's medicinal value. Breakouts aren't getting worse. To early to see improvement, especially due to the sea salt. My break outs are hormonal. Ever since my first pregnancy, 6 years ago, I've had then. I used to have clear skin!!

I may try to grind some oat meal and test it out. Has anyone?

Oh, and wow apple cider vinegar certainly made my hair shiner, but I still need to add something that will condition even more. (honey? oil? aloe? ground oatmeal?) Something that will thicken the vinegar. It's so thin, I don't want to waist it when I try and pour it into my hand. I need a better system. Oh and I mixed BS with a tiny bit of shampoo. I'm going to take no-pooing very slowly.

I plan to keep my stuff in the fridge. I barely have any room. My make-up and vitamins are already in there. Makes using steam easy.
#612 of 765 Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 AM

EMU OIL? Tell me more. Like what the heck is it?

Nevermind, I just looked it up. Hehe. Will I find it at the healthfood store? Anyone tried Emu oil?
#613 of 765 Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 AM

Wanted to add another quick update. I've been washing with honey and moisturizing with coconut oil 2x a day for the past week. I'm very happy with how my skin looks. Even my husband has noticed that my long time scars are starting to fade and my face is looking softer and fresher (for lack of a better word).

#614 of 765 Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2fiya View Post
Wow! I can't believe how long this thread is!

I thought I would just share my results. I have been using honey as the main ingrediant for my skincare since Nov 06, for some reason I hit 30 and my skin went wacko on me. Anyway it took a while for my skin to adjust to the honey; I think about 4-6 wks before I started noticing continued results. Right off the bat I got soft skin and the tightness went away. After about a week the oily and dry spots balanced out. Once the acne break out cleared up the honey seemed to keep the zits at bay. I was also using various oils to moisterize...again it took a long time and different oils for me to find the right one. I went through jojoba, vco, olive, shea butter and finally rose hip. The later is the one that works best for me. I still use shea at night when I have dry patches that need extra attention or right before AF since that is when I am most prone to break outs.

Now I use a mix of Honey and oat flour in the am. In the p.m. I use olive oil to remove all my make up, then use just plain o'l honey to wash. I tone with green tea/avc (Thank you Leta) finish with rosehip oil and a couple drops of lavender oil.

Oh one last thing - I use pure raw honey in liquid form, I keep the bottle in the shower.
I just started using a scrub consisting of honey, ground almonds, acv, and a little bit of water. I am now looking for a good toner and oil combo to moisturize with. Do you mind sharing your exact ration for the green tea/acv and your rosehip oil and lavender? TIA!
#615 of 765 Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM

For the last 2 weeks or so, I've been using castor oil on 1/2 my face, and raw honey on the other 1/2. So far, both have cleared up my skin, not completely, but much much better. The honey is winning by a narrow margin.

I am moisturizing with jojoba oil.

(Castor oil is so hard to wash off!!)
#616 of 765 Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 PM

This thread needs to be brought back to the front page...anyone who isn't washing their face with honey is missing out! I was totally skeptical at first, I'll admit. My face was in desperate need of help. I switched birth control back in early December and ever since, my face has been freaking out. I tried sticking with what I was using before, some Neutrogena stuff and Cetaphil lotion, but it wasn't working. So then I tried some Aveeno stuff that had salycylic acid in it and it tore my face up! It was red, irritated, flaking, burning and just felt like it needed to be soothed. So for about 2 weeks now I have been using a very gentle Neutrogena face wash, which is actually more like lotion, to get my makeup off. I follow that with honey mixed with baking soda in the morning and just honey at night. What a difference! My skin is SO SMOOTH! And it's calmed down and just feels really good. I washed with honey last night and my face was so moisturized from it that I forgot to put my lotion on! It used to be that I could tell when I didn't use lotion because my face felt like it was going to crack from being dry. I've been telling everyone and they look at me like I'm crazy but I'm really trying to convince them to just try it! It's so great to have nice skin again!
#617 of 765 Old 02-20-2008, 04:33 PM

I've been adding a little witchazel to my honey for washing, so that it flows a little better.
#618 of 765 Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Wow, I've only been trying honey to wash my face the last four days but I'm really loving it. I need to get a more convenient bottle to put in the shower though, now I have a small tub of honey and it's a bit awkward. I have occasional break outs, generally if I'm super stressed and just before AF so I'll see how I make out near the end of this month, see if the honey can keep the break outs to a minimum.
#619 of 765 Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 PM

My skin is awful - I have constant breakouts. I think some of it is shampoo related. I tried the no-poo method for a bit but I couldn't seem to get my hair clean. I read a post here somewhere from MaryLang about making "no-poo balls" for the shower - I think I'll try that and see if it works better for me.

Anyway, I definitely want to try washing with honey. I don't have jojoba oil or anything on hand, though. Could I just start with plain honey or honey and baking soda? I'm trying to read through this thread and it's just so much information! But I really think it's time to make a few more changes to my house and personal care routines (see my post about family cloth, and I'm trying to phase out toxic cleaning products, so I'm sure I will post about that sometime soon...).
#620 of 765 Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Binkin, just start with plain honey baking soda is just for exfoliation... weekly use, right? (I don't actually use it.)

For breakouts, they are probably caused primarily by what's happening deep inside your body rather than what's happening on top of your skin--although having ideal conditions on top of your skin will only help. The skin is one of the "emergency exits" for toxins when your bodily systems are overloaded. It's also the largest organ of the body and the only one we can see, so the health of the skin can give us a clue on the health of the inner organs as well.

I don't know that much about it in general, I mostly focus on what specifically applies to me. There are some other people on mdc who I think know more or other details. But basically many of the systems in the body overlap (such as digestive and hormonal) and many (all?) organs perform multiple functions. When one organ gets overwhelmed the others work harder and are prone to overwhelm themselves. The liver is so important that even if that isn't where your problem started, your liver could probably use some support by now. If you are sensitive to any foods, you might try cutting those out and sticking to the kind of diet that you know your body prefers.
#621 of 765 Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Sphinxie, I have to admit I've been eating a lot of junk lately. I've been really depressed since my mom passed away and basically fell into some really bad eating habits. Ironically my mom died of liver failure, so you'd think I might pay more attention.

Well, we're gradually getting back to eating better - gradually because I don't think I can handle switching back all at once. I can make changes in a lot of areas at once so long as they're small, measurable changes. I'm giving up caffeine because we're TTC, and maybe eliminating toxic products applied to my body will help too. I am also trying to re-eliminate fast food from our diet as of March 1.

I tried the honey and baking soda already today because I was mixing those two up for no-poo balls (as described by MaryLang somewhere) and had some on my hands. My skin feels very soft! I'll just do straight honey next time I wash, though.

I'm going to look through the thread for ideas on a container for the shower... I'm drawing a blank right now!
#622 of 765 Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
Sphinxie, I have to admit I've been eating a lot of junk lately. I've been really depressed since my mom passed away and basically fell into some really bad eating habits.
Stress can do it too. Junk food isn't ideal but if your digestion was already pretty sound, the body can handle it fine for awhile. De-stressing and self care and having fun are probably the best cures. After that better eating comes easier too.
#623 of 765 Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Just wanted to say that I washed my face with honey exclusively for a month or so and my face looked pretty rough.

I'm now washing it with olive oil, exfoliating and rinsing with a terry cloth washcloth and then apply the honey afterward and letting it stay on while I finish up in the shower and then rinsing. I'm moisturizing with pure shea butter and my face is soooooo soft and finally isn't all flaky. I love it!

ETA: Forgot to add that when I have break outs or for awhile I had this terrible eczema like patch I actually washed that small area with my tea tree oil shampoo from Whole foods and it did wonders!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#624 of 765 Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 PM

I used honey for the first time last night and my skin is really soft! I'll see what the long term results are. Thanks!
#625 of 765 Old 03-07-2008, 06:28 PM

I have been using honey now for about three to four months and I love it. I dont put the baking soda with it. I usually do it like this
Baking soda and scrub my face, rinse
honey , let sit on face a little while then rinse
then I will take aloe vera and put it on my face and rinse it off.
so far so good.
I have seen that if i dont eat right nothing will help my skin. I have tried the olive oil thing and it made me break out worse but who knows i didnt do that one long enough to really rule it out but i like my routine and actually have talked my nieces into it. They love it and it is less $$ then if they had to go out and buy skin care stuff. They use non raw honey and say it works just as good for them but i like my raw honey. But they are stepping in the right direction i guess.
I would however love to hear about the no-poo balls with baking soda and honey sounds interesting.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#626 of 765 Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post

I'm going to look through the thread for ideas on a container for the shower... I'm drawing a blank right now!
I use an old honey squeeze bottle. I get my honey in tubs now, but I had bought a squeeze bottle before so I just put it in there. The only trouble with it is the honey eventually got a lot harder and thicker so I now keep it on its side so I can get the honey out when I need it. Any one have any better ideas? If your honey chrystalizes, how do you deal with it?

On a side note, I've been using honey for about two or three weeks now and I can't get over how soft my skin is and how few break outs I've had!
#627 of 765 Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 AM

i started to use honey today to wash my face........so exciting, so tasty...mmmmmm.
#628 of 765 Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 AM

i started to use honey today to wash my face........so exciting, so tasty...mmmmmm.
#629 of 765 Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post
I use an old honey squeeze bottle. I get my honey in tubs now, but I had bought a squeeze bottle before so I just put it in there. The only trouble with it is the honey eventually got a lot harder and thicker so I now keep it on its side so I can get the honey out when I need it. Any one have any better ideas? If your honey chrystalizes, how do you deal with it?
:
#630 of 765 Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 PM

I've been using it for only 2 days and already can tell how much softer its getting

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page