Wash your face with honey! - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 764 Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay i made it through "that time of the month" without my normal major breakout. I am hooked! I am still using regular mosturizer but the honey has made a HUGE difference.
#662 of 764 Old 04-11-2008, 04:36 AM

I have been doing OCM for a while, and switching that with honey sometimes. The honey makes it soooo much softer! How do people on here think OCM compares to honey?

Also, how do you mix the honey and bs? what is the ratio?

And lastly, what are people using for exfoliant? Is wet bs too harsh?
#663 of 764 Old 04-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyurina View Post
Okay i made it through "that time of the month" without my normal major breakout. I am hooked! I am still using regular mosturizer but the honey has made a HUGE difference.
:

I was just about to write exactly that. I can't believe how clear my skin is! Yay honey!
#664 of 764 Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 AM

I've been trying it for the past 3 days, it's weird but I like it
It does soften my skin and has helped with acne, but I think it's attracting the mosquitos lol

I think I would find better results if i get raw or organic honey other than this pathmart brand i have in my house, any suggestions on where to get it (new york) b/c i've been looking online for places and brands and it's confusing and i'm not sure about what's a good price for honey

thanks
#665 of 764 Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM

I don't know about great prices but check out reallyrawhoney.com if you are looking for awesome honey. I waffle between this and local honey.
(both for eating and washing )

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#666 of 764 Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 PM

I have an 8 month old who has had an allergic or irritation reaction to sunblock (an organic one with no chemicals) and has now had her little bumpy rash for 3 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this on a baby's skin?

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#667 of 764 Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Ok, I've gotta try this. My face is puking out on me right now.
#668 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 04:51 PM

It made my face very soft!
#669 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 PM

ooo!! HONEY! I'm so glad I found this post. I was just thinking of what alternatives there are to harsh EXPENSIVE cleansers in addition to being natural and eco-friendly.
So, does the honey cleanse your face or just good for after cleansing? I need to wash my face daily because of a skin condition but the more I wash it, the dryer it gets. Then I'm left with flakey dry skin which is SO embarrassing! Plus I have a tendency to get icky blocked pores. yuck. Does honey help with preventing pimples, blackheads and all that icky stuff?
#670 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 05:19 PM

:
#671 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 PM

do you just smear it on then wash it off like you would any cleanser..I have skin problems also..I will try it now..thanks for sharing
#672 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbin_hobbin View Post
do you just smear it on then wash it off like you would any cleanser..I have skin problems also..I will try it now..thanks for sharing
That's what I was doing. I put a bit in my hands (although I've noticed that it works better with MORE rather than LESS), rub it into my face really well until it almost feels like it's all gone, and then I rinse it off. It feels so nice afterwards!

Problem is, I've recently run out of the store bought honey I was using, and am trying to figure out what the *best* thing to use would be- so currently I'm back to regular face wash. I'm going to try that reallyrawhoney website someone mentioned- hopefully they ship to Canada!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#673 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 11:14 PM

i use the really raw honey. it's awesome but expensive. there are sometimes co-ops on the co-op board where it's a bit cheaper.

eh. who needs a signature?
#674 of 764 Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 PM

That website *did* seem quite expensive, so I'm trying to find local. At the risk of sounding horribly uninformed, does this seller seem like a good one to try, or should I try somewhere else?
http://www.wildwoodhoney.com/index.html

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#675 of 764 Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Ok I tried it for about two weeks. I have always had near perfect skin (sometimes a little dry) and have almost always just "washed" with water and followed with a good natural cream or coconut oil. The honey totally dried out my face. I've got super dry skin (flaky) on my forehead and cheeks. I'm so sad, it sounded like such a good thing; but I guess it's not for me.

Now, about that brown sugar/honey scrub. This totally rocked! I did it all over my body in the shower paying close attention to my super dry spots (elbows, knees) and wow, I think I'll be doing this a couple times a month. I did follow my shower with olive oil all over

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#676 of 764 Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM

you can add it to your bath water too. It softens your entire body like nothing else! My kids get irritated skin from who knows what and it ALWAYS clears things up!

xoxoxox

#677 of 764 Old 05-24-2008, 07:59 PM

well looks like i am going to have to get some brown sugar and olive oil heheheh sounds dirty hehe jk

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#678 of 764 Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Just wanted to come back to this thread and give a thanks to all that contributed ideas. I tried honey a few days ago, and am amazed with the results. I have always had "t-zone combo skin", nose blackheads and chin acne. I've tried salycilic acid, b. peroxide, expensive regimens, cheap regimens, etc. I've burned my skin (particularly around my nose) using anti-acne products, which only made the oil worse. On top of that, used every foundation imaginable to help conceal my "issues", and we all know, that doesn't help fight the fight. Then I finally read this thread.

Now, my routine: Wash with cetaphil cleanser. After shower, while my hair is in a towel, I slather honey with baking soda and a few drops of hot water all over my face. I let it sit for 5 minutes. The trick here is to mix it, let it set for a minute or two, and then apply it. So while it's sitting on my face, the b. soda is doing it's "foamy" thing. I rinse that with a cool/warm water. Then I use a toner of 25% ACV and 75% distilled water. Use a Q-tip to spot treat blemishes with TTO. When dry, I put a thin layer of cetaphil moisturizer. In the morning, for makeup, I use Physicians Formula mineral makeup.

I've done this for only a few days. I cannot believe the difference (esp. my nose, holy moley!). I did not go out and buy the most natural/best cleanser-moisturizer-mineral makeup available, I just bought what I could find quickly and locally. Although, I will say, these are hugely better than what i've been using. But I am kinda tired of wasting my money chasing down another "miracle acne cure". The pure honey and b.soda I already had, so no loss there.

I will be switching to Bare Minerals or Everyday Minerals for makeup, now that I know a mineral makeup will give me the coverage my splotchy skin needs, and yet feels so good. And I will re-read this thread for another cleanser/moisturizer idea, and hopefully grow from there. But for the first step, it's gone REALLY well. I thank all of you that contributed your ideas to set me on this path, and hope that we all find what works best for us.

Oh, and maybe a mod should sticky this thread? It's SO long and useful!
#679 of 764 Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 AM

So I've been using honey for a few weeks, my skin has been really smooth, a few acne but nothing like a one night wonder cure for it. When I was at a friend's house, I used some tea tree oil and my skin was fine with that too more or less. But when I came home and used my old cleanser (mostly b/c of sheer laziness) my skin broke out so badly, I never had that much bad acne all at once. So never again!!!

Was wondering if anyone used honey as a body wash and/or other recommendations? And what kind of toner did you guys find most helpful. I have oily/combo skin so I was thinking of trying apple cider vinegear or witchhazel, but not sure which one would be better

Also wanted to know, I only wash my face at night b/c my skin gets irritated when I was in the morning too, atleast that's my experience before using honey. Does anyone wash their face w/ honey twice a day and if so what are your results?

Thanks for the help!
#680 of 764 Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
Just wanted to come back to this thread and give a thanks to all that contributed ideas. I tried honey a few days ago, and am amazed with the results. I have always had "t-zone combo skin", nose blackheads and chin acne. I've tried salycilic acid, b. peroxide, expensive regimens, cheap regimens, etc. I've burned my skin (particularly around my nose) using anti-acne products, which only made the oil worse. On top of that, used every foundation imaginable to help conceal my "issues", and we all know, that doesn't help fight the fight. Then I finally read this thread.

Now, my routine: Wash with cetaphil cleanser. After shower, while my hair is in a towel, I slather honey with baking soda and a few drops of hot water all over my face. I let it sit for 5 minutes. The trick here is to mix it, let it set for a minute or two, and then apply it. So while it's sitting on my face, the b. soda is doing it's "foamy" thing. I rinse that with a cool/warm water. Then I use a toner of 25% ACV and 75% distilled water. Use a Q-tip to spot treat blemishes with TTO. When dry, I put a thin layer of cetaphil moisturizer. In the morning, for makeup, I use Physicians Formula mineral makeup.

I've done this for only a few days. I cannot believe the difference (esp. my nose, holy moley!). I did not go out and buy the most natural/best cleanser-moisturizer-mineral makeup available, I just bought what I could find quickly and locally. Although, I will say, these are hugely better than what i've been using. But I am kinda tired of wasting my money chasing down another "miracle acne cure". The pure honey and b.soda I already had, so no loss there.

I will be switching to Bare Minerals or Everyday Minerals for makeup, now that I know a mineral makeup will give me the coverage my splotchy skin needs, and yet feels so good. And I will re-read this thread for another cleanser/moisturizer idea, and hopefully grow from there. But for the first step, it's gone REALLY well. I thank all of you that contributed your ideas to set me on this path, and hope that we all find what works best for us.

Oh, and maybe a mod should sticky this thread? It's SO long and useful!
OMG thanks for suggesting to check out this thread : I'm gonna try your brew on my skin right now.

I am SO sick of my skin. It's nice from farther away, ok all around I guess, but dry and sensitive and never quite nice feeling.
#681 of 764 Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 AM

So I've been washing with honey for about a week now following with ACV as toner and then the moisturizer I already have (Aveeno of some sort). I think it's been working. My skin is normal I guess with my real issue being my t-zone. My forehead is looking tons better- I got bangs a couple months back and my forehead started breaking out and that has stopped. My nose area and chin still haven't improved as much as I would like but I think it will just take time. My issue with my nose and chin are blackheads. Usually on my chin I just have blackheads but just today I noticed 4 teensy weensy blemishes so that is unusual and I'd like to suspect the honey/ACV but I'm not sure.

Melanie
#682 of 764 Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 PM

I've been using raw honey on my face for almost a year now. It's amazing!! I love it.

I also have raw brown sugar, but haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to be making some facial scrubs as gifts for my female family members this holiday season.
#683 of 764 Old 06-05-2008, 02:08 AM

I've been using honey on my face for about a week and I love it! I can see and feel an improvement in my skin already. I have combination skin and it was always breaking out.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#684 of 764 Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 PM

Thanks for posting. I will try this.
#685 of 764 Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Someone may have mentioned this already (LONG thread!), but I remember a natural skin care book from the 70s that recommended a "honey pat". Put the honey on...tap tap tap your fingers all over your face until it gets sticky, and then rinse w/warm water. I remember this doing wonders for my sensitive skin. It's supposed to help diminish blackheads.

I had a 55 year old student from Guatemala with gorgeous skin tell me that all she had ever used was honey and lemon on her face!

Guess I'll go find the honey.
#686 of 764 Old 11-24-2008, 04:29 PM

What is the advantage of the honey solution over organic skin care such as Miessence, or Dr. Mercola's? (other than being cheaper!)

I'm trying to decide what to get.
1. May Flowers Naturals: Honey, castile soap, water
2. Dr. Mercola or Miessence - pretty similar priced (have to decide if it's worth spending so much on this, and less on clothes)

Thanks,
Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#687 of 764 Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM

I started washing my face with honey again after not doing it for a long time and I am so glad I did! My face is glowing! This prob. has been addressed somewhere in this thread but does it matter what kind of honey you use?!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#688 of 764 Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM

The only thing that really matters is that it's pure honey, not honey & corn syrup mix (which some of the cheaper honey's are). That said, raw honey does seem to work just that much better. Or at least I really noticed a difference when I switched to raw honey and I think others have mentioned that, too. When I first started this (2 years ago!?!?) I balked at the price of the raw honey but honestly, that $15 tub of raw honey lasted me about 18 months and I know I used it for tea sometimes, too. When it's broken down like that, it's incredibly cheap even for the deluxe variation!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#689 of 764 Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 AM

Good to know! Thanks!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#690 of 764 Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 PM

W0w- just found this awesome thread while looking for ideas to deal with my overly dry, zitty, then greasy-late-in-the-day skin. We definitely have honey, and I can't wait to try it!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page