Wash your face with honey! - Page 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found this thread a couple days ago, and after 2 days, my skin looks like it belongs to someone else. I mean, I am really astonished at the difference! I feel like a normal adult, as opposed to an adult trapped in the skin of a teenager. I've been dealing with acne for a long time and while some bigger blemishes are still lingering (though I'm confident!), the biggest difference has been just the evening out of my skin tone. Woohoo! So easy, cheap, and pleasant. I'm just thrilled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM

I am glad it is working out for you. I want to add a brown sugar scrub with the honey. My skin is great when I am using the honey but lately i have been using olive oil scrub I got from st johns and it is working but I am still breaking out alot. I want to go back to the honey scrub but raw honey locally grown here is getting $$ here.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 AM

i havent read this whole post so i am sorry if this question has already been answered or is stupid, but can i premix honey and baking soda and keep it on-hand in the shower, or do i have to mix at the last minute? thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Hey I posted a few days back, but I just bought some raw honey and I have a question for those of you who have more experience with it. I know this top layer that has honeycomb and pollen and other stuff in it is good for you, but I was just wondering if I should just go ahead and start using that part for face washing until I get through it, or should I scoop through and use a small amount of that layer with some of the less chunky stuff underneath, or what? I guess it probably doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Hi there, I would not use the pollen and stuff on the top for face washing, simply b/c it is so good for eating, that I wouldn't want to "waste" it on my face! I do scoop it aside so I can use that part to eat, and use the creamier stuff underneath for washing.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 AM

While I was still working through the top layer of raw honey, I had some in my hands softening it up to spread on my face, and I definitely had an almost-intact bee wing as an extra addition to all the crusty top layer stuff. Objectively, I know it's not a big deal, but I just could not handle that. I don't want to eat or rub insect wings on my face. I scraped off the rest of the top layer and.... threw it away. : I'm a wimp!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM

YAY for honey!!
After having my son 3 weeks ago my skin has gotten super dry and yucky.
I read about putting aloe gel on it as a natural moisturizer and I broke out-I am eager to try the honey.
thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Very Moisturizing Natural Cleanser/Polisher

2 oz. organic raw honey
2 oz. organic aloe vera gel (if you use aloe vera juice, mixture will be runny)
Optional: 2 tsp. FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth (Fossil Flour)

My mature skin needs some extra help with exfoliation, especially during the winter. The diatomaceous earth is micro-crystalline so it polishes the skin and never scratches. The honey and aloe help to loosen dead skin; the DE gently washes it away.

Shake well before using. *Gently* massage into face with fingertips or complexion brush for about a minute. Rinses easily with warm water. Gentle enough to use every day. Great for heels and elbows, too - just massage more vigorously in these areas.

Follow with a couple of drops of organic unrefined vegetable oil to seal in moisture.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM

a lady at work was talking about how her skin was breaking out the other day and asked me what i use. It was kindof funny to see her reaction when i said I wash my face with honey and moisturize with either cocunut oil or even shea butter. She actually said well it looks like it works for you ....... so I guess I will have to try it. She came to work the next day and said how much she loved how her face feels. She is a convert to the honey thing. I have since told her all the wonderful things honey can be used for she loves it. Just thought I would share.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=KeepingItSimple;13251396]Very Moisturizing Natural Cleanser/Polisher

2 oz. organic raw honey
2 oz. organic aloe vera gel (if you use aloe vera juice, mixture will be runny)
Optional: 2 tsp. FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth (Fossil Flour)

My mature skin needs some extra help with exfoliation, especially during the winter. The diatomaceous earth is micro-crystalline so it polishes the skin and never scratches. The honey and aloe help to loosen dead skin; the DE gently washes it away.

QUOTE]

What is de? My neighbor is in sales and sells it. He gave me some to put in a tree so ants would run away from it. How do I know if it is food grade?

When I used to work in cosmetics, we used to say that apricot scrubs were awful bc the exfoliants were jagged edged and not round and would scar the face. Is de round??
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 AM

also, how do you not get honey in your hair or you dd's hair when they wash??
Old 03-07-2009, 04:15 AM

Tie it back? Put on a shower cap?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone had success with honey and rosacea and/or sebborheic dermatitis (my dermatologist isn't sure which I have)?

My skin has been flaring for the last few days and I put raw honey on it yesterday, leaving it on for a few hours, and today it looks much better. I am wondering if anyone has had good long term results with this. The derm prescribed Elidel and I would rather not use that if I can use honey!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
Has anyone had success with honey and rosacea and/or sebborheic dermatitis (my dermatologist isn't sure which I have)?

My skin has been flaring for the last few days and I put raw honey on it yesterday, leaving it on for a few hours, and today it looks much better. I am wondering if anyone has had good long term results with this. The derm prescribed Elidel and I would rather not use that if I can use honey!
I have roseacea and have not had a flare-up since I stopped using all things chemical/commercial on my face. So I can't honestly say that it's the honey that's working, b/c it could just be the lack of other stuff that was in my old cleansers/soap, but I like using the honey. I try to get a batch that is slightly crystallized so I get a good scrub factor in there too. (If not, you can add brown sugar to make it a scrub...)
Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 PM

I've been doing this for the past week. I think it's working great, but the real test will be next week when my period hits. I'm optimistic though, because my skin is doing really well so far!

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 PM

I've been using raw honey on my skin for about 4 days and I love it!! It's really clearing up my acne, and it just feels so good!!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:00 AM

What are some decently priced raw honey companies that are recommended?

Thanks, Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
Old 04-28-2009, 05:29 AM

I did a search on the forum but didn't find anything, but can you use honey on babies with eczema? What about the whole botulism thing?

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I'm really glad I saw this! I've been looking for a natural product with which to wash my face. But, all the organic natural ones are so expensive. I don't want to spend that kind of money monthly right now. So, basically, I've been using plain soap (I know, bad). I'm going to try this tonight ... it sounds so conveinent - honey for breakfast, honey to wash my face.
What happened after you used honey in your face?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 PM

When you used honey on your face, what were the results?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahkznn View Post
I've been washing my face with honey for nearly a year now (using Apitherapy Raw Honey). I tone with 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 purified water (you will need to experiment with the levels for this -- and some people are allergic to apple cider vinegar).

Every four days, I do an aspirin honey mask, which I cannot recommend more highly -- it's been incredible.

I moisturize with Lush's Celestial facial moisturizer -- also amazing, it helps calm my sensitive skin.

Using these products, my skin has gone from easily irritated, red, blotchy, unable-to-wear-bangs, full-on oil slick, to smooth, clear, matte, and normal. I cannot recommend honey more highly, it has truly made me look better.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM

We've been using raw honey for several months now, since finding this thread- it's been great!

Any ideas for getting rid of blackheads naturally? The honey has done a lot of bringing impurities to the surface, but how to get rid of them?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahkznn View Post

In this 30 something page thread there are quite a few people exclaiming about how much their skin has improved.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 PM

IVE BEEN HAVING SKIN PROBLEMS SINCE THE BEGGINING OF HIGH SCHOOL. IM 26 NOW, & I HAVE OCCASIONAL BREAK OUTS AROUND MY MENSTRAL. IVE TRIED EVERYTHING FROM PEELS TO SCRUBS, EXFOLIANTS AND SO ON. AND BECAUSE OF MY BUDGET I DIDNT HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO BUY PROACTIVE EVERY 2 MONTHS. EVEN THEN THAT DIDNT WORK FOR ME. I HAVE VERY DRIED SKIN THAT PEELS AND CRACKS IN ANY TYPE OF WEATHER. TWO DAYS AGO SOMETHING CAME OVER ME AND I WASHED MY FACE WITH CLOVER HONEY, & OMG. MY SKIN DOESNT FEEL TIGHT OR DRY ANYMORE.ITS VERY SOFT.I CAN NOTICE SOME ACNE SPOTS ARE FADING. I ALSO WANT TO TRY LEAVING IT ON AS A MASK AT NIGHT FOR 10 MOINUTES. I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND THOUGHT MAYBE I WAS IN OVER MYSELF, BUT AS I READ ON PEOPLES COMMENTS, I WILL TRY 2NIGHT.. LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, HONEY IS SOLD IN THE DOLLAR STORE (CHEAP+ IT WOULD LAST YOU A LONG TIME) & IT WORKS WONDERS ON UR SKIN..
Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 PM

I've had acne for a loooong time, and nothing works. I've tried almost every wash, cream, toner, gel...you name it. My skin was red, oily and flaky (go figure?!) and sensitive. I've been doing OCM for awhile (for my face and body), and it's the best I've had for awhile now. My skin is a normal color, it's soft and not flaky, but I still get breakouts on my face often (and worse right before AF) and have a lot of blackheads. OCM has cleared all the breakouts from my back, and I don't have oily skin anymore, but I think I may try doing a combo of OCM and the honey thing on my face. I hope it works ::crosses fingers::

<3 Rosie: trying to be a natural mom to Logan 3/18/08 & baby #2 EDD 4/3/11 Excited about homebirth #2
Old 05-25-2010, 03:47 PM

I used to use honey for washing my face for months until I realized how most honey is harvested. They take out the honey and feed the bees sugar water. The honey contains a lot of nutrients that the bees need. I'm also against how many bee keepers house their bees and gas them.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM

I read ALL 36 pages....do I get a prize?

I also have rosacea and went off all my prescribed creams because I'm pregnant and my skin has been wretched. Super inflammed and I've gotten more and more red.

But I've started washing with Dr. Bronners for the past week to get my mineral make-up off and it looks a bit better but quite dry. And so I've also started washing one side of my face with honey these past 2 days as an experiment.

I'll keep you updated if anyone is interested.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:52 AM

My favorite is a honey and milk mask. Mix it 1:1 ratio, usually 1 tsp each. I did this during my pregnancies because I was breaking out. I've been going on 8+ years of using the honey/milk mask and get tons of compliments all the time. The only time I have dry skin or problems is when I try to use other things, and I end up going back to the honey/milk.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 AM

I love washing with raw honey too, but keep the cap/lid on, I just discovered three ants in mine! Yuck
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been washing my face with honey and moisturising with jojoba oil for over a year now thanks to this thread. My skin has never been so clear and evenly toned!

It's also never too dry or oily, and I only wash/moisturise every second day. I use jojoba oil because it's the closest thing that exists to your skin's natural sebum (only clean! lol).

Oh, and I was stuck out in the sun for an afternoon recently and my back BURNED badly, but my face wasn't even pink... I wonder if the honey or jojoba had anything to do with it? I had washed with it that morning...

Someone a while back asked how much to use. I only use a tiny dime-sized amount of honey every second day. The jojoba oil I use liberally on my face/neck/décolletage, and pat off the excess after a few minutes of letting it soak in.

P.S. magpie mamma: I keep mine in a squeeze bottle that used to contain my tea tree oil face wash. Might help.

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)

User Tag List