Wash your face with honey! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I washed with aspirin and honey together at the same time. Wow! It's just fantastic. Only problem was I used what was supposed to be a tiny bit of warm water to dissolve the aspirin, and it made it too watery, a pain to apply. So I will try it again with just aspirin and honey. I think I'll suggest to anyone with acne to do this. I've found a bunch of things which work well, but nothing has worked this well before.
#62 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 03:05 AM

Would this work on MY DH's acne? He always breaks out, has oily skin, would never use a moisturizer, works in and older dusty business, I asked him if he would try it, he said "uhhhuhhhu" "pretty sticky, how would I wash it off?"

I think he is at the point where he will try anything, except Accutane. He got as far as buying it one time but was too scared of the blood tests every week it required.
#63 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 AM

I tried it!

I usually have some acne (not terrible), and then monthly, my face breaks out horribly. Well, so far, I've been using the honey once a day in the shower. I think I've used it 4(?) days and in that time, I've only gotten one new zit AND I got my period with no explosion (I think the single zit was because of my period as it showed up today and I got my period last night)! So it's either the honey or a coincidence.

My face feels less dry. I'm confident if I keep using the honey, it'll feel smoother before long!

And since it's feeling healthier already, I've been confident enough to go without foundation for the last 2 days (which is the only make-up I ever wear). Maybe I'll be able to finally ditch the foundation. I'm soooo sick of feeling like I need it to camoflauge the nasties!
#64 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
Would this work on MY DH's acne? He always breaks out, has oily skin, would never use a moisturizer, works in and older dusty business, I asked him if he would try it, he said "uhhhuhhhu" "pretty sticky, how would I wash it off?"

I think he is at the point where he will try anything, except Accutane. He got as far as buying it one time but was too scared of the blood tests every week it required.
Ack. My feeling is, don't do accutane unless your DH has exhausted ALL other options. It permanently alters your body, and has been found to lead to increased depression and suicidual tendencies. I had many friends in college take it, and several had dreadful side effects during the treatment--one basically had a raw crusty face the entire time. All that, and it may not even work!

Maybe using a small amount of honey would make it easier to apply and wash off?

I would also suggest (as I just posted about ) doing an aspirin mask and honey at the same time. Google "aspirin mask" ... it is really very interesting for acne.

Oh whew, I just reread your post and saw that you said except accutane, I musta read "even accutane".
#65 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 02:35 PM

I do have dry skin/sensitive skin, but today my face and neck has a blotchy rash all over. So I'm thinkin' I'm allergic to the bear. I will get some raw honey and try again. I used warm water, so next time I try it with raw honey I'll use cool water and then because of my dry skin, maybe a little moisturizer. Do you think I can use my EVOO for my mositurizer still?

Shannon
#66 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Okay. I just want to note this down. Last night's experiments showed that aspirin emphatically does not dissolve in honey. So today I experimented with proportions of witchazel (acts just like water but an extra bonus for skin) and honey, to figure out how to keep a nice slow viscocity, but to have something to dissolve the aspirin in. I liked 3:1 honey and witchazel the best.

So I got a 4 oz bottle. In a measuring cup I put in a whole bunch of aspirins on the bottom, and added 1 oz of witchazel. The aspirins dissolved, absorbing the witchazel, so I had to add more witchazel to get it back to 1 oz. Then I added 3 oz of honey, and mixed well, and poured into the bottle.

Unfortunately I then added a few drops of anti-acne eos, which ruined the honey smell. So next time I won't do that. But it should work great on my skin either way.

I know the two stubborn pimples I had on one cheek went away completely with two applications. All my pores are small, my skin is even, and the usual cysts are either nonexistant or very close. And it's so easy to rinse off.
#67 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 PM

I tried it on my son too!

DS (21 months) has been having little baby acne break-outs on his cheeks ever since the weather turned cold. He was in the tub with me the other day so I said, "why not?" and rubbed a little on him. His acne cleared up almost overnight!

#68 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Anyone know the risks of using aspirin topically when pregnant? I know ingesting aspirin is a big no-no. I recently googled salicylic acid (aspirin's sibling) the split was 50-50 for it's okay and maybe not.

I have been combining baking soda and honey and that has been working better than honey alone. The honey alone did almost nothing for my acne.
#69 of 765 Old 10-27-2006, 10:43 PM

InstinctiveMama, I dunno. If you start a new thread on it the title will catch more people's attention, somebody must know.
#70 of 765 Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 AM

I tried the honey. Sofar no results, but I only washed with it once.

I have a question about the Asprin mask; is it supposed to be kinda chunky? Mine didn't really desolve into a paste for some reason...
#71 of 765 Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleBirds View Post
I have a question about the Asprin mask; is it supposed to be kinda chunky? Mine didn't really desolve into a paste for some reason...
It seems like it dissolves into a gritty thin paste, so yes there are little chunks... if it was even more chunky than that, maybe it needs more time to dissolve?
#72 of 765 Old 10-28-2006, 02:57 AM

Yeah, it's gritty... I was really tired and couldn't think of the word! "Crispy" was all that came to mind, but that's just silly.
#73 of 765 Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
hm, I have a TON of honey (OK, a couple of gallons) and no idea of how to use it all, It just keeps on a-comin' from my CSA. Maybe I will try this! My skin is a mess this pregnancy.
havent read all the posts yet, but honey is also a great conditioner- 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil, let it sit for 30 minutes or longer under a shower cap, and my hair looks and feels awesome

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#74 of 765 Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 PM

I'm going to try the honey and olive oil conditioner, thanks for posting it. I've been using ACV, but it's to much conditioner for the scalp which is really oily and not enough for the ends which are dryer and get split easily.

:::
#75 of 765 Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 AM

:
#76 of 765 Old 10-30-2006, 04:31 AM

Seems to be working very well. Most of my blackheads are gone and my skin is much smoother!
#77 of 765 Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleBirds View Post
Seems to be working very well. Most of my blackheads are gone and my skin is much smoother!
I tried it last night and this morning and my skin feels nice. I have blackheads or are they whiteheads around my nose area, what did you do? Did you do a mask? Or just wash?
#78 of 765 Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
I tried it last night and this morning and my skin feels nice. I have blackheads or are they whiteheads around my nose area, what did you do? Did you do a mask? Or just wash?
For me too, it helps my skin all over, but it is most effective on blackheads.

I think it helps to do it a few times in a row... just be careful because aspirin can be drying, so you don't want to overdo it, see what's right for your skin. On the other hand if you're mixing it with honey, that might counteract the drying... I haven't had any trouble so far and I'm doing it every night.

I usually do it as a brief mask. I put it on, rub a tiny bit in places that seem to need exfoliation, and then potter around tidying up the apartment, then wash it off. Sometimes I just use it as a wash though. You can also wait til it gets completely dry for maximum penetration.

ETA: And meanwhile the honey helps keep the aspirin dust on the face so it doesn't fall off as it dries.
#79 of 765 Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 PM

mamaMAMAma,

I did it as a mask once and washed with it aswell. During the mask it tingled in a most pleasant way, so I think I will do one everyday!
#80 of 765 Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 PM

I thought I'd give a little progress report. I started using honey 1 week ago today, and I haven't seen any change to the acne on my forehead. In fact, it seems like it hasn't improved at all since my AF breakout. The only difference I did see is that my nose seemed to have fewer blackheads while using the honey.

I can't stand having such painful, red acne on my forehead for so long, so I'm switching back to the Nature's Gate stuff I had been using. I was really hoping honey would finally solve my acne problem, but it didn't seem to help at all. At least with Nature's Gate stuff, my AF breakout gets under control faster and it brings my forehead acne back to normal levels.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#81 of 765 Old 11-02-2006, 02:16 PM

I just got a massage yesterday by my esthetician friend. She says my face is really dry and wants to do microdermabrasion. She does my massage every 2 weeks, and it's the first she's commented. The only change I've made is honey (and bs). I think I need to cut back on my LOVELY bs/honey scrub for now, since it's getting dry around here. I'll do it once a week, and see how it goes. Today, I washed w/ my Juice Beauty wash, and followed up w/ honey and JB mist/toner and JB oil free moisturizer. I've been breaking out BAD the last 1-2 weeks, and I can't blame the honey (or bs). I have to blame the DIET. Trick or TREATTTTTT.............all over my face! Gotta shake the sweet tooth, and keep the sweet on the skin!
#82 of 765 Old 11-02-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
She says my face is really dry and wants to do microdermabrasion. She does my massage every 2 weeks, and it's the first she's commented. The only change I've made is honey (and bs).
Sounds like it's probably the BS, not the honey? BS is normally drying...
#83 of 765 Old 11-02-2006, 07:51 PM

I started using honey 2-3 days ago and my face is drier than normal. I was using Dr. Hauskcha cleansing milk before and no night cream. With the honey (which I love), my checks are dry (peeling a little). So I washed my nose with honey last night and my regular cleansing milk the rest of my face.
#84 of 765 Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 PM

OK I used THE GOOGLE ON THE INTERNETS (sorry had to) for the aspirin mask, it suggested 3-4 aspirin dissolved in 1tbs warm water, so I'm going to put honey in it to, any suggestions on how much honey? TIA
#85 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 05:10 PM

I've been using honey, then BS and honey for about 2 weeks now. I definitely see a difference in my face! My acne is drying up! I am using the BS/honey combo just in the morning and at night. I also use BS/honey to take off my make-up whenever I do that. Otherwise I use honey so I don't dry out too badly. I am noticing my face feels a touch dry so I am using a tiny amount of moisterizer when needed.

Of course, I also started changing my pillowcase every night so that is helping a lot too.
#86 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 05:14 PM

Hmm I will have to do that with DH pillow case as well thanks never though of that. I do wash the sheets often but he has such oily skin after a day it smells un fresh, KWIM? So any suggestion on my post above your post?
#87 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
So any suggestion on my post above your post?
I have not used aspirin yet because I am pregnant but I guess baking soda is a good substitute. I squeeze enough honey in my hand to cover my palm but not drip out. Then I shake on the BS. Just rub together to get the two to mix and apply to a dry face. I found applying to a wet face just made the honey runny and probably diluted it. The whole thing is a little messy but everything rinses very clean.

That's all I do!
#88 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad it's woprking for so many people! Awesome.

About the baking soda - I have tried it as an exfoliator mixed with the honey, and whoa, that is fantastic! Exfoliation can and will dry out your skin, so if you do the bs+honey route, use a moisturizer afterward. Also, it's not really recommended to exfoliate the skin on your face more than every 72 hours (3 days), so just something to think about there.

If you want to use the baking soda to clean makeup, I would just dilute it in water and use it as a rinse, then do a quick honey mask and see how the skin feels. If it needs moisture, I would only use shea. Shea is great for the skin and helps with acne.

About the microdermabrasion - if It were me, I would probably pass. It feels lovely, but it's not the answer for dry skin (and can in fact make your skin even more dry, since you are abrasing off the top layers) Micro is recommended for pitting and scarring for acne, aged skin, hyperpigmentation and evening out skin tone, but isn't the best treatment for dryness. The way it works, is to rough off the top layers of skin, and create a thin layer of scar tissue, which gives the skin a smoother, more even tone. I would first try a light exfloliator and then a good moisturizing mask.
#89 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 PM

So, does the honey just rinse off? Doesn't it make your face all sticky?
#90 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

yep, it rinses right off. Your face will feel smooth and clean. It's the weirdest thing-- Go try it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page