Wash your face with honey! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so trying this. I have had horrible acne my whole life, so I am excited to try it! I am currently using a neutragena face wash, and have been for years, but I don't know why. It doesn't really seem to work and it dries out my face, so I'm giving it up!

So is just the honey enough? Or should I use somethign else, too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
If it needs moisture, I would only use shea. Shea is great for the skin and helps with acne.
I've been using **barely** any jojoba on a little rag. Would it be better to use shea? How do I make it thin enough to spread around? I use it on my hands 'cause it's great stuff but I can't seem to picture the mechanics of using it on my face.... any suggestions? tia!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#93 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
So is just the honey enough? Or should I use somethign else, too?
Honey is enough honey by itself is anti-microbial so good for acne.

If you want to make it even more effective against acne you can add all kinds of things... aspirin, bs apparently (or is that just for exfoliation?), you could add neem oil or essential oils or witchazel or... is there anything else?
#94 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
I've been using **barely** any jojoba on a little rag. Would it be better to use shea? How do I make it thin enough to spread around? I use it on my hands 'cause it's great stuff but I can't seem to picture the mechanics of using it on my face.... any suggestions? tia!
Jojoba is fine too, although I'm not sure if it has as much of the antibiotic properties. For the shea, I literally use like a pinhead amount. A little goes a looooooong way. If my face feels greasy after I apply it, I wipe off the extra with a dry washcloth. HTHs!
#95 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 PM

Thanks, Ophi. My friend would do the micro for free, since we trade services, but I'll kindly pass (I didn't WANT to do it, she wants to and loves doing skin stuff). I love my natural home stuff. I was just thinking that the weather here has changed significantly in the last week, and w/ allergies amuck, my skin could also be reacting to what's in the air, in addition to my latest destructive SUGAR diet (and I'm not even PMSing). Anyway, I'll use the black soap I got from Africa (usually heals my zits right up), continue to use the honey, cut back the BS w/ it to Sundays and Wednesdays, and go back to shea for awhile. I used shea today, and my skin thanked me. I think between the weather, allergy, and diet thing, I've jacked my skin up pretty good, and overkilled it w/ my newfound love of bs/honey. I'll be better to myself this week!
#96 of 765 Old 11-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Well, I just dumped out my usual cleanser and filled up the bottle with honey. I washed my face with honey with a little bs and it feels great! I can't believe how cleanly it rinsed off and how non-greasy and clean my face feels!

I loved the little scrub of bs -- felt great!
#97 of 765 Old 11-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm so excited about htis thread. I can't wait to try it all. I guess I should probably just try one thing at a time so I know what works best. I am starting to see the damage that the last 4 days of eating Halloween candy has done to my skin. So off to try the honey wash.

#98 of 765 Old 11-04-2006, 11:56 PM

I've been using honey on my face for about two weeks now. I use it every morning and sometimes at night if I go through my whole bedtime routine (I've been a little lax about that lately). At first my skin was feeling a little dry so I just used some Olay eye-area moisturizer on the rest of my face. : (I want to try the shea, but I don't know where to find it. Suggestions anyone?) So the slight dryness went on a couple days. (I loved the way my skin looked/felt otherwise btw!!!!) Then I seemed to go through a few days of extra oiliness. I tend to have oily skin anyway, so this was not a huge shock. But in the last couple days I have really noticed a wonderful improvement, like my skin is finally balancing out (which is pretty much a first in my lifetime) and that my persistent (we're talking years here) chin acne is actually clearing up. I am just so : : !!!!

I'm so happy I stuck with it. honey!
#99 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 02:38 AM

Yeah, I second the where can I get shea butter and are there different kinds or brands that are better?

:::
#100 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 02:43 AM

I bought unrefined shea from a gal named Senita off Ebay. Her store is called SenegalStyle, and I ordered 1/2 pound of shea and 1/2 pound of black soap from her, and it came from Senegal (cool postage stamps, by the way). Total cost was $20, and a little goes a LONG way. I've bought shea from numerous places, but I really like hers best so far.
#101 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

#102 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 02:50 AM

I get unrefined shea from majestic mountain sage at thesage.com It's pretty inexpensive comparatively and I've only had good experiences with their products. However, I think I've seen pure shea at Wild Oats & Whole Foods in the cosmetics section.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#103 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 02:11 PM

I found some shea at Wild Oats yesterday. Well, it has vitamin E too but it was the only product with just the two ingredients. It was $20 and looks like it can last forever.
#104 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Yeah, I second the where can I get shea butter and are there different kinds or brands that are better?
http://www.nasabb.com/catalog/sample...8_products.htm

I ran across this while searching for black soap. Free sample pack which includes black soap, unrefined shea butter, an all natural shea moisturizer, hair oil, and honey oat soap. Just pay shipping. Love the product and that, for me, this is a local business
#105 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM

I've heard others say that they use coconut oil..? Is that right?
I've been using honey and every few days honey/bs and my skin is starting to even out now. I love it! Regular cleansers leave my skin sooo dry, but I still break out! And I spend so much time and money trying to find a heavy moisturizer to make up for all the extra cleansing..
Anyway.. this has been working great for me, but it's still pretty dry here so I was wondering about a moisturizer.
Is shea the best? What about the coconut oil?? TIA
#106 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 04:21 PM

DH and I did the honey asprin mask the other night, after I got outta the shower and was all dried, my face felt smooth but was dry, not the usual dryness where it hurts abd I need lotion just dry but smooth, if that makes sence, so was that dry skin dead skin? Like bad skin layers comming off?
#107 of 765 Old 11-05-2006, 04:59 PM

i use coconut oil and i've seen a real difference. anything will make me break out after a while but coconut oil doesn't. someone told me that it was antibacterial and antifungal. i haven't looked it up for myself, but it seems to work great for me.
#108 of 765 Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
I have been lurking at this thread and wanted to ask if this is also good for black heads? I have a real big problem with black heads esp. on my nose. With a oily forehead I want to try this as so many of you have reported great News!!

Thanks,
Kelly
#109 of 765 Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
Hi,
I have been lurking at this thread and wanted to ask if this is also good for black heads? I have a real big problem with black heads esp. on my nose.
Several pp's have noted that it works especially well for blackheads (I think someone ever said it didn't seem to be working for their acne but it was clearing up the blackheads). For me, it cleared up blackheads pretty quickly, but I wasn't sure if it was honey or cause about once/week I've been using baking soda with the honey. If you decide to try it remember that there seems to be a detox period (mine lasted almost a month before my acne started clearing up... maybe it would have been faster if I'd been using raw honey )

hth!

#110 of 765 Old 11-07-2006, 01:23 AM

You can use the baking soda and water paste into a mask and let it dry to help soak up oils and then when you wash, use the baking soda to lift the blackheads out by making small circles with your fingers. It will grab onto the blackheads and lift them out. Be sure to tone with apple cider vinegar afterward to restore balance and use a lightweight facial moisturizer.

As for microdermabrasion, the above remedy works very well as a homemade microdermabrasion.

Leaving a gritty paste of brown sugar on your skin and then washing off with warm water also feels great, you can try that.
#111 of 765 Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 AM

I'm so glad I happened upon this thread! I have been using honey as a facial cleanser for some time now. I love it! I wet my hand and face and rub some honey in circles all over, it feels so good. Also, I use a fresh washcloth everyday and wipe the honey of gently and in a massage-like fasion. I found the washcloth helped exfoliate and keep my face clear. With just the honey I was getting oil build up on my face. I just love honey and not putting chemicals on my skin. I also use coconut oil on the dry areas only (we live in a very dry climate) and I love it.
#112 of 765 Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM

I just started and already my face feels better! My skin is normal, but gets dried out in the winter. Using the honey to wash, I don't feel dried out at all!
#113 of 765 Old 11-07-2006, 11:21 PM

Awesome...I think I'm out of honey, but as soon as I get some, I'll be trying this!

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#114 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 02:03 AM

Just an update: I switched to organic raw honey this week (my sis bought it for me cause it's expensive!). This is amazing! I can feel such a difference in just two days! I can actually feel the honey working and tingling on my face! cool

#115 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi MonP'titBoudain yes I used the raw honey and my skin feels so good afterwards! Do go get you some it's great :-)

Kelly
#116 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 07:59 PM

I like that my raw honey is a very gentle exfoliant. I've mixed it with a small bit of b/s once, and that was nice too! I'm thinking of just doing regular honey once a day and the mix once a week (so I don't dry my skin out.)

I also have a honey based cream that I use with ds. It makes a great moisturizer.
#117 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM

What kind of containers do you keep your honey in, how do you get it out, how do you apply it on your face?

How do you like your system, are there any problems? What else have you tried?
#118 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am seeing lots of people happy with honey for clearing up acne - but how is it for very dry skin? Wiull it be more drying? These days I use Aveeno facial cleanser for my face and have to use moisturizer afterwards.
#119 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
What kind of containers do you keep your honey in, how do you get it out, how do you apply it on your face?

How do you like your system, are there any problems? What else have you tried?

Hi Sphinxie
I use a small glas container (picture), I can get about 110 ml in it. I like it, I think the size is good and I found a way to use at least one of the little fruchtikus glasses I kept I don't know why.
#120 of 765 Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM

For me, I have very sensitive, combination skin. My oil is very oily, and my dry very dry. I have found this method to make a big different in balancing out my skin. It feels smooth and my skin tone is vastly improved.

I'll be telling my local honey vendor about this!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page