Wash your face with honey! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 765 Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used up all the generic honey in my little honey bear, and I finally started using my raw honey. What a difference! My skin was already looking great with the generic honey, but WOW it is so much better after using the raw. My acne has cleared up. What few pimples I do get dry up really fast. My pores are smaller. My skin is really soft, smooth. And now after using the raw honey, I swear my skin is glowing!

As for exfoliating....I also found BS to be too harsh and drying for my skin (combination/oily), even just once a week. I switched to sea salt and that did the trick!

And just to reiterate, I did have quite a break out in the first week or so after starting with this honey regimen. I even had a couple days of new pimples and just general blah after starting with the raw honey. But my skin got past it and now I have a nice complexion for. the. first. time. in. my life.

I honey!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 765 Old 12-02-2006, 04:21 AM

Yeah, after about a week I got oiler. I didn't break out but my nose got kinda oily. Usually I'd break out the powder but I didn't want to mess with the detox so I didn't. It lasted just a couple days. So, I think that's just a detox thing you have to deal with after a few days or a week. It goes away in a couple days (if that long).

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#153 of 765 Old 12-02-2006, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

whoo-hoo!!! I am so glad it's working for everyone! just as a side note, honey is a natural source of glycolic acid, which should be a good enough exfoliator in and of itself. the glycolic is a great way to shrink pores too.

love the sea salt idea. this is great. the baking soda was too harsh for my skin, so I'm back on the straight honey and loving it!!!

super oily skin - could be a few things? are you using a moisturizer afterwards? if you're not, your skin could be getting a little dry and to compensate is overproducing oil. try a light moisturizer after you wash and see if it helps. (sounds counterproductive, but it works.) took about a week for my skin to clear up from the honey, it brought everything to the surface.
#154 of 765 Old 12-06-2006, 10:05 PM

I made a paste with honey and baking soda, and I've used it twice, but it really dries out my face, and I have oily skin. I did about a 50/50 mix, am I using too much BS?
#155 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 AM

Use less baking soda and follow up with a moisturizer after you wash your face - you're supposed to moisturize after cleansing anyway.
#156 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 AM

My skin was pretty dry when I first started 3-4 weeks ago (straight honey and then honey + bs twice a week). I added jojoba oil as a moisturizer, but still too dry. This week I got some unprocessed shea butter and that did the trick.
#157 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 AM

I normally do use a moisturizer, so maybe I just used too much BS. I'll try more of a 75/25 mix in favor of honey.
#158 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItyBty View Post
I normally do use a moisturizer, so maybe I just used too much BS. I'll try more of a 75/25 mix in favor of honey.
Definitely consider the moisturizer too. I use pure shea butter. Every once in a while in the middle of the day I can get away with just washing with honey. When I use honey and BS I definitely feel better after a little shea butter. Shea butter goes a long way. It's amazing how little is really needed. I think of it as more of a "suggestion" of moisturizer on my face.
#159 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 03:07 PM

ok so ive been using honey followed by acv for 4 days now. my skin is SO MUCH BETTER already (minus the pit scars i have left and a few red marks). so this morning i used about a dime sized bit of BS in the shower with 3 pumps of honey (i got it all organized ), worked great. so when i got out, i used the acv 50/50 then once dried used the shea butter (which i started yesterday). well today was the first time i felt the acv tingling...then when i applied the shea butter my face turned beet red and still is. it doesnt burn or anything, just feels warm. but im wondering if my acv solution is too strong or what? is this normal after using the added BS? just curious...its not really bothering me but i certainly cant go anywhere looking like this...
#160 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 04:08 PM

It's probably because you exfoliated and then had the ACV on, so your skin may be a bit 'over-prepped'.

I've noticed that if I make too much ACV mixture, even at 50/50, it may get a little stronger over time (especially if it's organic) because ACV has mother in it and it regenerates itself!

You may just need to add more water, or rinse the ACV after you tone with it. I actually do the baking soda stuff in the shower and splash some ACV on my face afterward (same bottle as no-poo ACV) and then rinse my face off.

At night during the summer, I may tone with ACV, but I haven't done that for winter. Skin is a little more sensitive during the winter, with indoor heat, drying winter blasts, etc.

If you had a ton of ACV on your face, the shea butter may have kind of activated the ACV on your face, who knows. I also don't know what kind of pH shea butter has...
#161 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM

thats kinda what i was thinking. im gonna dilute the acv more and if it continues ill start rinsing. i was just hoping it wasnt an allergic reaction or something.
#162 of 765 Old 12-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Probably not - I've toned with ACV, not washed it off, let it dry on my face and then used moisturizer, it didn't do anything but make my face wonderful in the morning.

You probably just have a strong concoction or maybe you're doing this regimen too often for your skin type.
#163 of 765 Old 12-09-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
I use honey as a 2nd washing, after using black soap to get makeup and stufffff off from the day. I add other natural scrubs, masks, and such to my routine a couple of times a week, but the daily routine is wash w/ AB soap, wash again w/ honey. Moisturize w/ jojoba (or if really dry, I'll moisty w/ unrefined shea before I go to sleep).
Jeanna - where do you buy your black soap? I've wanted to try it but wasn't sure the best place to buy
#164 of 765 Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 AM

WHY don't I check this forum out more!? I'm trying to go back to using more basic skin care regimen, and am so excited to try this out. I read about using honey on your face yeeeaaars ago and immediately dismissed it weirdly sticky sounding. I just imagined it clogging my pores. :eyeroll: off to try honey and bs.
#165 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
Jeanna - where do you buy your black soap? I've wanted to try it but wasn't sure the best place to buy
I remember there was a link another poster had posted about sample products and black soap was included and it was trial sizes I'm sure but worth trying it was only like $4 or something. Look back at the previous pages I'm sure that's where I think I saw the post. Good Luck!
#166 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 02:21 AM

Any mamas with dry skin try this? Mine is very dry and I battle excema.....would honey be good for dry skin? I'd love to try it but I'm afraid.......very very afraid........

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#167 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 AM

Hmm. I'm not sure, but it seems to moisturize my skin, so I would bet it would be fine. And if you moisturize after, that would protect your skin even more.

I have had acne since I was 12. Even when I've had less, I've still had the bumps and blackheads. Since using honey, 99% of my blackheads are gone, my skin is smoother feeling and looking, and my acne is much more rare, smaller, and dries up and flakes away really quickly.

I also made a scrub I use once a day that I keep in a little pot by the sink. It's honey, dissolved asprin, and tea tree oil. I only started this recently, and it seems to help a bit as well.

I moisturize with a few drops of Weleda Sea Buckthorn oil. My skin feels AMAZING.

Thank you for starting this thread!!
#168 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, honey is great for dry skin and will probably do a lot of good for your excema. You might want to try it! I initially started on it because I had a patch on my face that was peeling and the honey completely cleared it up. I definitely wouldn't do the baking soda tho.

For those that are having baking soda issues. I was just reading an article today at work about how over exfoliating (more than 2x week) can actually damage the skin and cause premature aging. So my advice - don't exfoliate more than every three days. You are essentially slubbing off the top layer of skin - you need to give it time to heal and replenish If the baking soda causes redness, it's too much for your skin type. I would skip it and just lightly cleanse for a few days. Honey is a natural exfoliant in and of itself, so you really don't *need* the baking soda if you aren't having a lot of acne. If you are having alot of acne, baking soda is a great "prepper" for extraction and will bring the pimples to a head - this is what they teach you in cosmo school. But again, if it burns or causes redness it's too harsh for your skin type. I know alot of people love it, but I just don't want a bunch of mamas to be walking around causing undo harm to their gorgeous faces.

Anyway, if you are finding the baking soda too harsh - (I was and eventually dropped it). You might want to try brown sugar and honey. I know there are a few mamas in this thread who tried it and said it was niiiiiiiiice. I think the sugar is a little bit more moisturizing.
#169 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
I remember there was a link another poster had posted about sample products and black soap was included and it was trial sizes I'm sure but worth trying it was only like $4 or something. Look back at the previous pages I'm sure that's where I think I saw the post. Good Luck!
Hey! Maybe that was my post....well, if not, here is a link for the samples http://www.nasabb.com/catalog/sample...8_products.htm

Just a note: I had a period of less than a week where my skin did start drying out a bit across my nose and cheeks with the soap, but the issue has resolved itself. Maybe it was just an adjustment of sorts. I just love the stuff!
#170 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 02:13 PM

I've been reading this thread for a few weeks, and have been using honey for the past week. I just had to try it after so many glowing reports. I also love simplicity, and this sure is simple. I LOVE it. I was using ocm, but though I loved the fact that it was all-natural, I had so many break outs. Honey has made my skin so clear, soft and glowing.

mama in the forest, I have dry skin, but honey seems to be fine. It's a little hard to tell because with the cold weather, my skin is becoming drier. But I make sure to use jojoba oil and shea butter. Shea butter is pretty protective. Acv on my skin works great too.

I love MDC. I feel so smart for no-pooing and now using honey. I get compliments on my hair, and I expect to get some for my skin now.
#171 of 765 Old 12-10-2006, 02:27 PM

I love honey too. I used to have terrible acne and for me- it was a mixture of hormones and over washing my skin. So- I stopped washing and found that made no difference (my breakouts didint increase at all!) and after 3 kids- I breakout very seldom.

So, I was always totally paranoid about oil on my face- but now I'm the opposite. I wear mineral makeup- rinse my face with water in the shower, then apply a mixture of jojoba and lavendar after the shower. Then I do the oil in the morning, too.

I've been doing the honey once a week (or when I remember) and I like the way it make my face feel all smooth! So for me, it's no cleansing except honey- lots of good moisture and having my hormones working for me for once!
#172 of 765 Old 12-11-2006, 02:26 PM

just wanted to pop in with my progress report...
my skin looks freaking AMAZING!!!!!! im only using the bs once a week and thinking about trying brown sugar instead next time, but using the honey and acv with shea butter for moisture my skin is clearing up so fast. i have only had one small breakout since i started using this and it was already in its beginning phase when i started and it was gone in 2 days which is a record for me. my dark red scars from old breakouts are fading so fast i can hardly believe it. my blackheads are almost unnoticable and my sweet darling hubby (who is away with the military) came home this weekend and first thing out of his mouth was ..."WOW YOUR SKIN LOOKS GREAT! WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING??" i didnt tell him that i had changed my regimin to what you all had recommended until after he asked. now HE wants to try it!!! im so thrilled and just wanted to say
THANK YOU ALL for the advice and tips and such!

forgot to mention i have only been doing this for barely a week...if even that long. so it worked totally fast for me! =)
#173 of 765 Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlintxmomma View Post
just wanted to pop in with my progress report...
my skin looks freaking AMAZING!!!!!! im only using the bs once a week and thinking about trying brown sugar instead next time, but using the honey and acv with shea butter for moisture my skin is clearing up so fast. i have only had one small breakout since i started using this and it was already in its beginning phase when i started and it was gone in 2 days which is a record for me. my dark red scars from old breakouts are fading so fast i can hardly believe it. my blackheads are almost unnoticable and my sweet darling hubby (who is away with the military) came home this weekend and first thing out of his mouth was ..."WOW YOUR SKIN LOOKS GREAT! WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING??" i didnt tell him that i had changed my regimin to what you all had recommended until after he asked. now HE wants to try it!!! im so thrilled and just wanted to say
THANK YOU ALL for the advice and tips and such!

forgot to mention i have only been doing this for barely a week...if even that long. so it worked totally fast for me! =)

That is great! I had similar results - skin looked and felt awesome after a few washes. After about a week or 2 I had what I think was a "detox" period in which my skin started breaking out but I stuck with it and that is clearing up. Just an FYI to not give up if you seem to "relapse" for a little while
#174 of 765 Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM

Finally I know what to do with all the honey my mom brings me! (They're bee-keepers.)
#175 of 765 Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 AM

oooh lucky you! I bought generic target brand honey today and was wondering if this will be as good. :/ I know someone mentioned that organic honey is hard to find, I never really noticed. I often buy it at TJs, but haven't been there in a while.

Also, how much do you guys use? I used about a quarter size and rubbed it on, but wanted to be sure I was being too sparse with it.

My skin is already feeling very soft already, so I'm really hoping all those blackheads will go away. You all are such a convincing commercial.

If I use something else too (mainly cetaphil to wash a little make up off first) is this in any way hindering the "magical" properties of honey? or does it not matter as long as I use the honey? What type of shea butter are you guys using and where did you get it??
#176 of 765 Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have extremely dry skin and eczema too and the honey has been fine - much better than using even the gentlest cleanser from the store. I love how it smells when I first put it on my face in the shower.

I am going to finish using the bottle of moisturizer I have (can't bear tio waste anything) but what do you recommend for a natural moisturizer? My skin is very dry but will break out if I use a moisturizer that isn't designed for sensitive dry skin.
#177 of 765 Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 AM

Hi Shanti! I found this thread during my latest and current face rash. It was really awful and I don't know what caused it, but it did appear to be some dermitis. So I don't think that it is ezema, but what I have been using (among other things) is jojoba oil. I know a friend of my sister's suffers from ezema and that is something that she uses. My current regiment is aloe, then jojoba oil, then coconut oil. Course all that is for my current skin condition.

How do any of you use witch hazel? I have beening using bs in the shower with my face rash and then a bit of ACV, so I didn't know if witch hazel would be over kill or not.

Also, how many times a day do you use honey? More than once? And for those of you using raw honey, is your honey liquid? Mine most certainly is not. I am actually using a butter knife to spread it on my face.
#178 of 765 Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Also, how many times a day do you use honey? More than once? And for those of you using raw honey, is your honey liquid? Mine most certainly is not. I am actually using a butter knife to spread it on my face.
I'm trying to wash twice a day as that seems to work best. Although that makes my skin dry and I need a litle jojoba or shea. And yeah, my raw honey is THICK! Although I haven't yet used a butter knife!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#179 of 765 Old 12-12-2006, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, you know what is AWESOME for excema...Kukui nut oil. You guys should try it. It really does work...it's also good for sunburn and bug bites.

I would highly recommend this stuff. I use it for massages. It's great.
http://www.oilsofaloha.com/kukui.php
#180 of 765 Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 AM

Hi MonP,

Generally, if you put some of your hardened honey in the microwave on high, checking it after each minute, it will re-liquify, and will stay that way, even after it cools.

Good luck,
Deborah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page