Wash your face with honey! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2006, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using just honey and love it! I don't even need a moisturizer afterwards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
The vinegar is a toner to reset your ph balance for the skin. You especially need to use this if you are using soap or baking soda, which are very alkaline. If you are using just honey, you don't need it as honey is slightly acidic by itself.
Thanks. That makes sense. I use honey+baking soda twice a week, so maybe I can do the ACV on those days.

Just honey alone was too drying for my skin. So I do shea butter + jojoba oil in the evening and jojoba oil + spf moisturizer in the day.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 AM

hmm... well I've been using the honey on it's own for about a week now and I have definately been going through a 'detox' phase. My skin looks a lot healthier overall despite spots (which were sorta there in first place).

I wash with it twice a day. Some people have said their faces were 'glowing' after using the honey. I find this to be true but after not too long it goes from glowing to just oily looking. Any advice? I'm 19 btw so maybe a bit younger than many of you.

Should I be using something after the honey maybe to fight oiliness?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 AM

Yeah - add a pinch of baking soda to your honey mixture. It will keep your face from getting too oily. You may want to wash with honey just once a day too and either wash with water or something else the other time. I use mineral makeup now, so I've either been doing an alternative Oil Cleansing Method (lazy method) with coconut oil, or now I'm on day three of honey and a pinch of baking soda. I tried it with the honey by itself, it didn't feel like a facial wash as much since it was so tough to work with, even with water. With baking soda, it kind of breaks down the sugar in the honey somehow and it glides on my face a little better.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 AM

I've tried it both with and without the BS, and I much prefer the pinch of BS for my oily skin.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 PM

ah ok thanks for the replies
Old 12-21-2006, 12:09 PM

I use Pure/Raw Honey as a face wash. Has anyone switched from one type to another and noticed significant results? I am thinking of getting Manuka...but for $25 a jar this better out perform my honey in the bear I'm cheap
Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 PM

$25 a bottle!

I get my local raw/pure (not processed) honey from the farmer's market, it can't be more than $5-$6 or so.

In every town there is a local grocery store with local honey, it's cheaper and tastes great too!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
In every town there is a local grocery store with local honey, it's cheaper and tastes great too!
Absolutely! Here you can usually find the beekeepers even during the winter markets.

So, about the pinch of baking soda in the honey daily. Does that not make it too much of an exfoliant? I have gone through cycles with the raw honey where I have spotty break outs (usually in line with my cycle) and I definitely see a difference when I use the bs but I thought it was too exfoliating for daily use. So now I'm confused. Does it work because the pp appears to have oily skin? Or is it because it is a small pinch (versus the tsp or so one might use for a weekly exfoliation). Clarification anybody? tia.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 PM

I little dash won't be too exfoliating. If you're worried, dilute the baking soda in some hot water first and add honey. You can probably even keep a week's worth of this mixture in a bottle as a facial wash. I'm sure a pinch of salt would do the same thing, it just kind of breaks the gooeyness of the honey.

I have combination skin or normal skin that right now is tending on the dry side because of winter. Baking soda doesn't ever bug me if I use it everyday, but if I use a lot of baking soda, like 1/2 teasp to 1 teaspoon, I splash my face with ACV and moisturize afterward. I usually do this step in the shower in the morning. After work, if I'm washing my face in the sink, I don't do the ACV step, but the honey is acidic to a degree anyway. I use moisturizer after washing my face (either coconut oil, a dab of cocoa butter, or my Oil of Olay facial moisturizer). I'm sure olive oil is more moisturizing - I may have to switch, the coconut oil isn't that moisturizing for me sometimes.

Moisturization is key after washing your face anyway, nobody should skip that step, even if they have oily skin. Balancing the moisture on your face actually can keep your face from being too dry or too oily.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM

For you honey-fanatics: more beauty recipes and uses for honey for food (with this thread, who woulda thunk to actually EAT honey?).

http://www.honeyassociation.com/beautytip.htm
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM

The exfoliation properties of honey are great, especially when your cat sits on the edge of the tub and licks the honey from your face.

On a more serious note, after two applications of honey, I'm sold. My face is doing great!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 PM

You're so smart Spastica! One day I aspire to be the baking soda/natural-body-care guru you are! For now, I'll just keep asking questions.

I've definitely noticed my face is more balanced longer when I use a small amt of baking soda mixed w/honey but I got scared about doing that after all the talk about over-exfoliating (however many pages back). And I always use a couple drops of jojoba after washing, even if I'm only water washing. It keeps me smoother and oil-free!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 12-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
You're so smart Spastica! One day I aspire to be the baking soda/natural-body-care guru you are! For now, I'll just keep asking questions.

I've definitely noticed my face is more balanced longer when I use a small amt of baking soda mixed w/honey but I got scared about doing that after all the talk about over-exfoliating (however many pages back). And I always use a couple drops of jojoba after washing, even if I'm only water washing. It keeps me smoother and oil-free!
Thankoo :

I just read crap all the time, that's all. The only good it does are for people in this forum - my friends and family don't give a rat's behind.

As for exfoliation -- there are people who are overzealous and scrub their faces raw (especially with apricot scrubs, pumice stone particles, crushed nuts, and whatever else) and then breakout and it's a vicious cycle. You can just play with amounts and only you know your skin. Nobody's skin can take crazy-vigorous exfoliation too often, but some sensitive people can't do much exfoliation at all. Just see what works for you. Of the ones I've used, I see that baking soda or sugar (I'm sure salt is okay too) is not harsh for your skin. Some people use cornmeal too, and that's probably okay. I just see that as being really messy in a sink.

I use the baking soda on my face that can be ingested as an antacid or used for toothbrushing. What does that mean? There are different baking soda granule sizes out there.

For example, Arm and Hammer makes one that is suitable for cleaning (the label specifically says not to use it as an antacid or brush your teeth with it [use it as a dentrifice]). Does it mean that it's toxic in any way? No. The granules are just bigger and it would be harsh on your teeth and wouldn't dissolve as well in your stomach, which could irritate it. The bigger granules DOES make it easier to clean with. If you clean with regular baking soda, you may be miffed that it dissolves so quickly and it doesn't give you as good of a scrubby-action thing going as other cleaners because the granules are so small. So that's why there are different granule sizes. For my face, I use the small kind - the kind you can use for baking, tooth-brushing, or use as an antacid. It sloughs off any dull skin like a microdermabrasion and I don't scrub my face raw with it.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Spastica there is hope yet!! I have converted my dh to wash with honey! He is always laughing at my "natural body care" BUT now that he doesn't have a single blackhead and he is all cleared up, he will sit and let me put anything on him
Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 PM

I have to say raw organic honey is really doing the trick. I had been washing with organic honey for about 4-5 weeks. It was definitely working better than my old soap routine. But I splurged on some raw organic honey the other day and I am noticing a big difference again! The honey has a tiny bit of a grainy feel to it. I know I could probably heat the jar to get rid of this but it exfoliates really nicely and gently. I have not needed ACV to restore balance either. Just a little follow-up with shea butter and I am ready to go!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 PM

I know what you mean!

My boyfriend actually admires the natural stuff I do and he's always been an advocate of it. Hell - he was always pointing out hazards of chemicals even before I cared about it.

He likes using ACV on his scalp to help with chronic sebhorrheic dermatitis. He still uses shampoo (Paul Mitchell Tea tree shampoo or he has to resort to coal tar shampoo), but he'll use the ACV in conjunction. If he has hideously rough elbows, he likes to come to my apartment and ask for cocoa butter or slather olive oil on himself

A lot of his skin issues is due to his gluten intolerance, so making sure he's not eating junky stuff or gluten-filled stuff clears his skin a bit.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:16 AM

Did you just get some raw, organic honey at whole foods or wild oats? I don't have one super close, but I go occasionally. Now I'm thinking of any store that will have "local" honey. Not sure- any Chicagoans in this thread?

okay nevermind, I asked my mom and of course she just happens to have a friend who makes some. yay.

my skin is looking smoother already. Plus I'm just loving the whole cheapness and simplicity of this. Thanks for starting this thread! Now I can't wait to try some purer honey. Thanks bees.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Observation by Spazzy.

I've tried honey by itself, honey with a little bit of baking soda (a miniscule pinch to cut the gooeyness of the honey), and honey with a hefty amount of baking soda. Honey and baking soda in any form seems to works better than the honey by itself. Also, I noticed that the more honey I squirt into my hand (inititally, I wanted to use the least amount possible to clean my face, but then I used a bigger blob yesterday, probably 3/4 to a full teaspoonful) and then I put a hefty shake of baking soda in it (I suppose I used 1/2 a teaspoon yesterday), my skin was glowing and it looked brighter.

Also, I've noticed that moisturizing my face with a dab of cocoa butter is clearing up darker marks and keeping my face smooth for 24 hours.

Perhaps I can use the smaller amount of honey and baking soda for daily cleaning and use the bigger blob of honey and more baking soda a few times a week for the bright spankin' glow.

Thought I'd share.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw this thread yesterday, so this morning in my shower I did the honey with baking soda and I am thrilled with the results after just one time! My skin is softer, as I was badly in need of some exfoliation. I tried to tell my dh about it and he said "That's silly." So I got with him and stopped telling him about it. He got out of the shower and said he used the honey. He mixed it with his soap on the scrubby and washed all over. I said you were supposed to mix it with baking soda. "You didn't tell me that!" he said. Yeah, because you called it SILLY! Anyway, he was finally listening and I told him how it could help his acne. He has had cystic acne all his life, and while it's doing much better now that he doesn't use harsh soaps or laundry detergent, it still flares up occasionally.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:17 AM

Guys need to know the science behind why something works. Tell him that honey has glycolic acid, which helps skin get back to it's naturally acidic mantle. Honey also has antibacterial and humectant properties, which help with acne. Baking soda acts as an exfoliant and can dry out acne. Exfoliating can help unclog pores, which trap acne bacteria.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:18 AM

I'm converted! I've been washing with honey since reading this thread about five days ago. My skin feels almost as smooth as my 4 yo DDs! I've told my mom and sister so far to try it, so thanks for the great thread!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Observation by Spazzy.

I've tried honey by itself, honey with a little bit of baking soda (a miniscule pinch to cut the gooeyness of the honey), and honey with a hefty amount of baking soda. Honey and baking soda in any form seems to works better than the honey by itself. Also, I noticed that the more honey I squirt into my hand (inititally, I wanted to use the least amount possible to clean my face, but then I used a bigger blob yesterday, probably 3/4 to a full teaspoonful) and then I put a hefty shake of baking soda in it (I suppose I used 1/2 a teaspoon yesterday), my skin was glowing and it looked brighter.

Also, I've noticed that moisturizing my face with a dab of cocoa butter is clearing up darker marks and keeping my face smooth for 24 hours.

Perhaps I can use the smaller amount of honey and baking soda for daily cleaning and use the bigger blob of honey and more baking soda a few times a week for the bright spankin' glow.

Thought I'd share.
i use a huge blob of honey every day and let it sit for 30 secs or so. i need to get some baking soda into my shower though so i can try the mix. i am loving honey btw, i need to convice dh.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

So, here's something else to try!!!

My grandma was an old farmer who knew all kinds of natural remedies (she also attended the births of nine of her mother's babies at home, on the farm but that's another story) Anyway, my mom saw me washing with honey last night and she said, oh! Grandma used to do that all the time, but you need to add oatmeal to make it even better!

So here's what you do.

Grind up some oatmeal - preferably organic- in your coffee grinder or food processor
Add to honey and apply as a mask or as a gentle but moisturizing exfoliant.

I am so excited to try this!!! The baking soda is way too strong for me, and I think the oatmeal will be prefect for my extremely sensitive skin Oatmeal is soothing, moisturizing and cleansing so I think this is the perfect balance for something as wonderful and simple as honey.

I'll keep you updated!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Yep. It's a wonderful pack. I have been doing it for few years as face-pack once in a while not everyday. I also add either youghurt or few drops of fresh lemon juice to oatmeal & honey mix.

ETA : haven't tried washing with just honey. Maybe I should try it as it'll be easier for everyday use.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:13 PM

I can't wait to try this. I have acne prone and sensitive skin.

Mother to two great kids. &
Old 12-26-2006, 12:16 AM

Yeah, I used to wash my hair with the oatmeal/honey mixture and wash my face with it. It was great stuff. I didn't make any new mixtures since and abandoned the oatmeal because it was just a mess in my bathroom, but I do agree that it's really nice on your skin.

It's funny that we're pretty much putting breakfast items on our faces. "Oooh, I think I'll use my honey oat cinnamon delight on my face!"

Old 12-26-2006, 02:39 AM

So, why do you have to grind up the oatmeal? Can you just use the flakes if you are too lazy to grind it up? I've been getting some pimples lately. Although, I am newly pregnant, so I suppose that is probably more to do with hormones than honey. I hope! I can't wait to get my raw honey.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM

OK, I read this thread in it's beginning, and have been washing my face with honey ever since.

It really is amazing. I should take pics of my face.
I have the worst acne around my mouth and jaw. It's almost totally healed (much better than the 4 weeks it took to get this result with proactiv), and now I'm reading about aspirin masks?!?

WOW! I've never heard that!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:17 PM

I found some information on the aspirin masks. It's just a homemade version of the salicylic acid you find in Clean and Clear and other acne products.

http://www.acnemagazine.com/2006/05/...edies-aspirin/

Salicylic acid products meant for acne tend to dry your face out - but aspirin may or may not. I don't know too much about salicylic acid, but I hope it's nothing like hydrogen peroxide, which does a fabulous job of destroying acne and clearing up your skin, but over time, it causes wrinkling of skin (it has an unstable hydrogen molecule, otherwise known as a free-radical molecule, which ends up damaging skin).

Another alternative, that I like, is to use light brown sugar. Brown sugar has glycolic acid, that doesn't have any bad effects on skin, nor does it dry it out.

User Tag List