Walmart now carries certified organic baby clothing!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so excited. I actually bought 2 outfits tonight on sale for $7 for I couldn't believe it. The brand name is GEORGE baby organics. They are also carrying alot of organic food now.

100% Certified Organically Grown Cotton
I could scream.: : :
#2 of 94 Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 PM

Yes... but who makes them?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#3 of 94 Old 10-20-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

well..............I would like to know more about it. I am a little new to some things and I can always benefit from someone elses knowledge.
#4 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 12:13 AM

Walmart is trying to get a wider range of consumers in thier store. We notice the organic baby clothing because that's what we're interested in. they hope that word will spread and thousands of hippy mamas will run out and buy wal-mart organic clothing. Who's making them? People in china. They do chose to work for wal-mart, but they are treated unkindly and get paid near to nothing. You should see the women sweating (litterally, because it is so hot in the factory) to make your baby's organic clothing. You should also look into how the employees are treated. The employees are forced to work overtime, but not allowed to clock in for the extra hours, if they dont do the extra hours then they loose thier benefits or thier job. Don't get so excited over wal-mart, the company is ruining our country. Buy from local business's, it's worth the extra mula. You should check out the movie "Walmart, the high price of low cost"
Liz
#5 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

The thing is I live in a small town and all we have is a walmart, and two grocery stores. I live about an hour away from anywhere that I can get what I want so all i got is Walmart.

If you guys know of some reasonably priced organic clothing online I would love to have the websites.

#6 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 02:09 AM

Yes! I'm not preggo yet, but I'm definately LOOKING!:

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#7 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 02:37 AM

Also what is organic in the USA is not the same in China. They spray DDT on their "organic cotton".
#8 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 03:35 AM

Yikes! that can't be good... why do they put that crap on it?!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#9 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 06:26 AM

Because they can. Laws are different in China. Remeber when Wal Mart said their stuff was made in the USA? And it turned out to be a town called Usa? Yeah would not trust WalMart.
#10 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 02:02 PM

This is an interesting article.
http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2...one/index.html

It points out the inconsistencies with this. The head of Wal Mart still brags about driving a gas guzzler, and the fact that these organic clothes are shipped from far away places such as China increases wasteful use of fuel (when they could be made nearby instead.)

I have to say I'd be skeptical about their organic claims as well.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#11 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

i live in a very rural farming community and we just to not have the stores around here that we can buy clothes from.. Walmart is not only the cheapest place to buy your clothes it is 1 of 3 places in my town that you can buy clothes. I think that has alot to do with they're growth. People like me don't really have a choice.
#12 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 06:39 PM

unfortunately, that's the curse of wal-mart. They come into a small town that has several shops and small businesses. They drive out the little people with lower prices and gain a monopoly. Then they can raise the prices to whatever they want. They hurt the community by refusing to insure their workers and treating them unfairly and by running out any competition. We're getting out first wal-mart in Atlanta, and I'm so sad because we've managed to keep it out for so long.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#13 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
unfortunately, that's the curse of wal-mart. They come into a small town that has several shops and small businesses. They drive out the little people with lower prices and gain a monopoly. Then they can raise the prices to whatever they want. They hurt the community by refusing to insure their workers and treating them unfairly and by running out any competition. We're getting out first wal-mart in Atlanta, and I'm so sad because we've managed to keep it out for so long.
where I live (the walmart is in the next town over) it is very much the opposite and business is booming all over. (not that I like it!) but there actually are mom and pop businesses all over since our walmart closed and opened a super walmart! (like a hundred + in the last 2 years!) we are also getting things like a helicoptor pad, etc. and the hospital 25 min away updraded after 50+ years, a local pharmacy and several clinics,etc...) business is improving the town dramatically. I don't know if it's a coincidence or what? I am on the border of mexico though so I'm sure the demographic is a bit different than anywhere else in the country. (the old walmart was supposedly the largest grossing store in the US & people will drive 3 hours to our walmart from mexico!) the weirdest thing is our walmart has cheaper prices than the one 45 min away or 1 hour away..

I wish I didn't have to shop there and do find myself going there for less and less. I try use the internet more and more these days for shopping! (No impulse buying that way! : ) I am living on SSA benefits since DH died so I do what I have to do!

I get things like dog/cat food and the sposies my kids wear at night, socks,etc. it's cheap and it's only 20 min away compared to 2 hours round trip to go to Target,etc. who sells half the same stuff from the same sweatshops. everytime I go to walmart I say it will be the last time but I always go back.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#14 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
Because they can. Laws are different in China. Remeber when Wal Mart said their stuff was made in the USA? And it turned out to be a town called Usa? Yeah would not trust WalMart.

Also, carrying that moniker "Made in the USA" is NOT a assurance that the manufacturers were treated well. There seems to be this loophole that things produced in US Territories such as American Samoa (which can ethically be called the USA) do not have to be produced in accordance with the standards we have here on the mainland. You still have to do your homework.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#15 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masherrell View Post
i live in a very rural farming community and we just to not have the stores around here that we can buy clothes from.. Walmart is not only the cheapest place to buy your clothes it is 1 of 3 places in my town that you can buy clothes. I think that has alot to do with they're growth. People like me don't really have a choice.
Do you have no second hand stores even?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#16 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I get things like dog/cat food and the sposies my kids wear at night, socks,etc. it's cheap and it's only 20 min away compared to 2 hours round trip to go to Target,etc. who sells half the same stuff from the same sweatshops. everytime I go to walmart I say it will be the last time but I always go back.

I am NOT suggesting you drive two hours to shop at Target, BUT if it were less far, it would still be the lesser of the two evils. Their manufacturing practices are about the same and WM but their employees are treated a lot better.

#17 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 07:18 PM

oh I sure would shop at TArget any day over walmart if it was local! ( i keep hoping they will build one-we have Home Depot & a movie theater, so I'm hoping!) I truthfully think walmart woulkd go out of business though if Target came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
I am NOT suggesting you drive two hours to shop at Target, BUT if it were less far, it would still be the lesser of the two evils. Their manufacturing practices are about the same and WM but their employees are treated a lot better.

#18 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 PM

I'm seriously bummed now, not because I want the Wal-Mart "organics" (*blech*) but because I recently bought some Hemp/Organic cotton fabric that was grown and made in China The info. I looked up said hemp isn't grown in the US so you have to import this fabric. Could someone provide me with some reliable sources stating the uses of damaging contaminants (such as DDT) on these crops?

A little off topic, but I just got some Eco-bags from a co-op held here, and was so sad to read they were made in India. They're certified organic by Skal International, so I wonder how their standards compare to USDA's.
#19 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 PM

Here's the website to the "Control Union World Group" which deals with Organic Certifications:

http://www.controlunion.com/
#20 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
OMG! I never heard that. Wow! I don't get the DDT thing either. How can it be sold in the US as organic if it is not?
#21 of 94 Old 10-21-2006, 09:54 PM

To those having trouble finding affordable clothes with lower environmental impact: think used. If you can not find used clothes locally, consider checking e-bay for lots of non-namebrand clothes: ridiculously cheap, even with postage factored in.
#22 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 AM

WalMart not only gets their clothing but also much of their "organic" food from China where, guess what, there is not one organic inspector! I just learned that this week from a presentation at our co-op. Not that I'm surprised, just the ridiculousness of it all astounds me. And the sad thing is, most people would/will never know the difference. Or like others mentioned, there is nowhere else to shop so what do you do? I guess shop online as much as possible.

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
#23 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm am so not excited now. But thank you for the wonderful Info. We do have second hand shops, That I do shop at. But I am interested in the organic clothing and being a small town most of the clothes that are at the consignment shops are from walmart. Because everyone in town pretty much shops there.
#24 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, but when you shop at a consignment shop, you're not supporting Wal-fart directly, and there's less of an environmental impact from your purchases because they only traveled a few miles from the previous owner to you, not halfway around the world from the manufacturer to you.

My advice to you would be to get what you can online, and only shop at walmart for things you simply can't get elsewhere, or it's too expensive/complicated to get elsewhere.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#25 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yeah, but when you shop at a consignment shop, you're not supporting Wal-fart directly, and there's less of an environmental impact from your purchases because they only traveled a few miles from the previous owner to you, not halfway around the world from the manufacturer to you.

My advice to you would be to get what you can online, and only shop at walmart for things you simply can't get elsewhere, or it's too expensive/complicated to get elsewhere.

Yep, that is it in a nutshell!

#26 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 AM

I'm not trying to be snarky but how is the organic food diffferent than what is sold elsewhere (when it's the same major name brand?) it's not the like walmart has their own label, do they? I have bought organic beans, babyfood,etc. (same exact brands I could drive 2 hours for at WIld Oats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem33 View Post
WalMart not only gets their clothing but also much of their "organic" food from China where, guess what, there is not one organic inspector! I just learned that this week from a presentation at our co-op. Not that I'm surprised, just the ridiculousness of it all astounds me. And the sad thing is, most people would/will never know the difference. Or like others mentioned, there is nowhere else to shop so what do you do? I guess shop online as much as possible.

#27 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky but how is the organic food diffferent than what is sold elsewhere (when it's the same major name brand?) it's not the like walmart has their own label, do they? I have bought organic beans, babyfood,etc. (same exact brands I could drive 2 hours for at WIld Oats)
Trader Joes also sells organic food from China. Their frozen organic produce is mostly from China. Might as well just buy conventional and save some money.
#28 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 01:35 PM

I guess the pardox of Walmart is that they are able to offer goods for a lower price, (so people with families or on budgets are attracted to their prices), yet for the same people working for their company, they do not want to pay higher wages or offer better benefits. So many of us find ourselves kinda caught in the middle. Most of us, I'm sure want to save money and offer organic goods for our family. Where I live they just built a huge SuperWalmart. I've been in it and have seen that Walmart is carrying their own brand of organic milk, which is of course cheaper than the other organic milk. So to be honest I have mixed feelings about this whole Walmart thing. But what really gets my goat is that the popular organic market/health food store in our town is located in the upperclass/rich section, which speaks volumes to me.
#29 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 01:56 PM

: You know.....NFL is hard work! :

Everytime I think I have a grasp, new issues surface. I feel like I can not keep up!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#30 of 94 Old 10-22-2006, 02:01 PM

What I would really like to see are more mommys (those that have the gift of knowing how to sew) making and starting their own baby clothing lines- If researched I am sure there are providers here in the states who make organic fabric etc.. Just an idea... I am always looking for fun easy clothes for my two babies. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page