Need deodorant recommendation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 10-22-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using Dove sensitive skin/no perfumes or dyes deodorant. I like it but its not working anymore! I'd actually like to get something organic, with no weird chemicals and who-knows-whats in it. What is a good ( and relatively inexpensive brand? I'm also open to alternative methods of "deodorizing"
#2 of 38 Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 PM

nak

i just use a crystal...works great for me. sometimes need a 2nd application through the summer months but i love it. i think i spent $5 on it and i've had it for almost a year now.

hth!
#3 of 38 Old 10-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Straight rubbing alcohol in an old hair spray bottle works wonderfully. It kills the bacteria that causes odor. You can even add a drop or two of fragrance or essential oils - personally, I like lemongrass and tea tree oils both for their antibacterial properties. I also keep a small spritz bottle in my purse just in case I need to freshen up but I rarely need to use it.

Remember whatever you try, you may have a period of detox where you may be a bit stinky while you're weaning off the commercial deodorant. Never fear, just spritz your pits when you feel stinky and it will take care of it. After a few days, you should be able to get by with spritzing once or twice a day.

Also, if you do a search, there were a couple recent threads about this topic. I know other people use baking soda or funk butter. But for me, the alcohol is the cheapest and easiest.
#4 of 38 Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 PM

Oh yeah...forgot to mention the detox period! It's TOTALLY worth it once you get thru it, though.
#5 of 38 Old 10-23-2006, 12:25 AM

I've started using baking soda and cornstarch. I just put equal amounts of each in a little container (I used a recycled yogurt cup). I shake it up each day, get a small amount on my fingers, and then rub it in my armpit really well at least two or three times. So far it works pretty well! I stay dry and non-stinky. The baking soda absorbs the smell and the cornstarch keeps me dry. I have had a few days where I was a little stinky by the time I went to bed, but those were days where I was doing something more strenuous. If I noticed it during the day, I guess I could just do a quick wash and re-apply. Or, I think vinegar could be used to kill off stinky smell.... I read that in one of the deodorant threads.

Happy wife and blessed mama to three sweet girlies chicken3.gif

#6 of 38 Old 10-23-2006, 12:35 AM

I like Kiss My Face Liquid Rock...I keep it in my bad in case I get stinky and it works great! Doesn't really do anything for dryness, but keeps the stinky away! I think I'm going to try the BS/cornstarch idea see if that helps!
#7 of 38 Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 PM

I just pat bs on my pits after my shower. If I start to get stinky I swipe with a cotton ball of rubbing alcohol and reapply the bs.

I tried the crystals and such many times b/f I learned about the detox period. The rubbing alcohol *saved* me this time around. Now I really don't get stinky anymore too much.

I agree with the pp about finding the deoderant thread. It was great!
#8 of 38 Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 PM

I like Funk Butter by Oyin

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#9 of 38 Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Peacefulmommy is on my page. I used crystal rock yearrrrrs ago, and it didn't work for me (I think I needed to get the other garbage out of my skin and system completely, and didn't give it enough time to detox). I've now been using it again for about 3 years, and have only bought my 2nd little rock in that time. I never stink, except right after I'm done w/ my 10 minute tan, and the smell dissipates on it's own after a short time (less than an hour). Love the rock!
#10 of 38 Old 10-28-2006, 12:05 AM

I like funk butter, and sometimes I spritz on witchazel.
#11 of 38 Old 10-30-2006, 12:15 AM

i use witch hazel, lavender & sage eo, (5 drops of each, all the way up with the witch hazel) i found a deodorant size glass spritz bottle at the hfs and so far it works great. i had used toms of maine woodspice for years until it started causing an allergy reaction, went to almay for a bit and then to my own mix. by far i like my own best of all. sometimes i have to spray twice a day, if i am getting hot and sweaty. i totally agree with the detox cycle, it was a while for me but now i am ok. during that detox i really scrubbed my pits while showering and did some body brushing as well.
#12 of 38 Old 11-01-2006, 07:49 PM

Coming in a bit late....I use nothing but coconut oil. It works very well - I don't sweat or smell and it isn't greasy like one would expect. I don't have a problem with it "staining" my clothes either.
#13 of 38 Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 AM

I also use the crystal, and love it.
#14 of 38 Old 11-08-2006, 03:58 PM

I have tried Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees deodorants but my favorite is this one: http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=67&pid=126
I only found it in the commissary and haven't found it anywhere else but you can order it directly. I also found that one stick of this deodorant seemed to last a really long time.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#15 of 38 Old 11-08-2006, 04:18 PM

I've just been using baking soda, and if I get a little wet, I put some more on. None of my sweat has been stinky, though, since about day 2 or so, so I'm not so worried about wetness at this point.
#16 of 38 Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 PM

If you still would like your Dove deo to work, check to see if you're not eating too much junk food and that your digestion is ok (like your bowels are regular).

Use some baking soda to scrub your armpits for a few days and see if it takes the residue off. It could be just accumulated sweat and oil, which traps bacteria, which in turn, contributes to smell.
#17 of 38 Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM

I went no-anti perspirant about 2 months ago. I have tried crystals, a liquid crystal spray, BS/Cornstarchwith lavendar EO, and Herbal Clear which is a commercial deodorant with Aloe vera & lichen. Nothing was working liek I wanted it to. I am now using rubbing alcohol with a few drops of EO in a spray bottle. I use every morning, yesterday it was almost 80, & I had to reapply twice. It seems like my pit doesn't stink, but my shirt does. Does that make sense? I know they say you sometimes can't smell your own odor, but you would think I would if I am sniffing them at the same time. I also scrub with BS each day, that does seem to help. I don't really like using alcohol that often though, so I am going to get some vodka & try that. I wash my shirts after each wearing & use my homemade laundry detergent. Any ideas?
#18 of 38 Old 11-09-2006, 04:39 PM

The crystals still have aluminum in them, so I haven't felt comfortable using them.
#19 of 38 Old 11-10-2006, 06:12 PM

I tried vodka for my spritzer and ouch it stung!!!

I make my own deodorant butter. On rough days of the month I may have to reapply but that's ok with me.
#20 of 38 Old 11-12-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
The crystals still have aluminum in them, so I haven't felt comfortable using them.
Mine says "no aluminum chlorohydrate" on it. But, it contains "natrual mineral salts, and ammonium alum". I looked up "ammonium alum in a cosmetic ingredients book I checked out from the library. It is listed under main heading of "ALUM" and subs of "potash alum, aluminum ammonium, potassium sulfate". I'm not feeling too keen on it right about now, after reading further. I feel kinda "duped".
I sprayed alcohol on my pits at work today, because I think I forgot my crystal rock. The alcohol worked (yeah, I did the sniff test before and after), but I'm not feeling too keen on daily alcohol either. Maybe I'll try coconut oil next...................UGH! Dang it! YEARS I've been using the rock and recommending it and feeling safe! I"m crushed!
#21 of 38 Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 AM

I love Neal's Yard Remedies Lemon and Coriander deodorants.
http://shop.nealsyardremedies.com/in...quicksearch=33

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#22 of 38 Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I have tried Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees deodorants but my favorite is this one: http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=67&pid=126
I only found it in the commissary and haven't found it anywhere else but you can order it directly. I also found that one stick of this deodorant seemed to last a really long time.
I bought a stick of the Alba deoderant too (also at the commissary), but I got stinky using it.

Do I just need to go through a detox period before it really starts working? I'm currently using Dove and would love to get away from it, but I don't want to smell.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#23 of 38 Old 11-12-2006, 02:31 AM

Hi all!!!

I just read the OP about using natural deoderants and I'm so interested. I've tried Tom's of Maine Lavender and Alba Botanicals Tea tree deoderant, but I had no idea that there was a detox period. I just didn't like the fact that I was so stinky all the time. I mean it would work for a few hours and then after about 5 hours I felt like I just wasn't so sure. So I went back to my Mitchum. I really want to get away from unnatural products, but it seems like the only thing I have left is my deoderant. DH uses Tom's Woodspice and it works great for him. I want to use natural deoderant too!!! Could someone explain the detox period when switching to natural deoderant? I'd really appreciate it.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#24 of 38 Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM

dh and I both use just baking soda. pour some in my hand and rub in. we have been doing this for a couple of years now. works great for us and saves $$ too!

dh was *very* skeptical, but now doesn't want to use anything else!
#25 of 38 Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 PM

I spritz on a bit of 50% diluted ACV. That'll keep me going for most of the day with no stinkies, although sometimes I have to reapply if I have to go out in the evening. (If I'm staying in I don't bother; my delightful weirdo husband likes the way I smell even when I start to "smell.") :

I suffer from fungal infections in my armpits (like athlete's foot, only in the pits) and the ACV is the only thing I've found that kills the fungus AND reduces the bacteria that make you smell.

If I'm going to be gone all day, then I'll spritz the ACV and then apply the crystal right after that while the pits are still moist. Works great; I can sometimes even get two days' worth of wear out of this method. I can also wear a shirt more than one day, as there as absolutely no odor with this method.

I do, however, agree with and second the person who said to get in there and scrub the pits out with baking soda! I shower regularly and don't use commercial deoderants and all, but the last time I did this I was APPALLED at how much disgusting gunk -- dead skin, etc. -- had built up in there!

Now I make sure I do the BS armpit scrub at least once a week, and it's only since then that I've been able to go 2 days with only 1 deoderant application.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#26 of 38 Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM

I use Jason brand roll on in the Lavender flavor, and I love it, but you have to be scent free...meaning that if you already have some stink going on, then go wash up before applying, and DH uses this stuff from the regular old drugstore, it's called Herbal Clear it is in this obnoxious bright yellow bottle, but it is aluminum free, and it smells good, he is using the "sport" flavor, and I like it too. You can get it at www.21stcenturyvitamins.com I highly recommend it, because DH is a construction worker, and he sweats even in the winter, and he does not stink anymore.

HTH, Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#27 of 38 Old 11-14-2006, 01:47 PM

A few years ago when I worked in an office with others, I would always forget to put my deo on at home, so I started keeping some in my drawer at my desk at work. I would usually forget to put it on at work too and although this was in San Fran, where it is usually freezing cold (thus, no sweat), I never stunk! (At least I didn't think I did! )

So, I just sort of stopped wearing it. I will put some on occasionally on a hot summer day when I know there's a chance I might be stinky, but because I rarely wear it, I haven't updated my old stuff (horrible secret, with aluminum). I should probably put some of the suggestions in this thread on my shopping list for those "just in case" days!

I know not wearing any won't work for everyone, but maybe you could try that!

Melissa
#28 of 38 Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 PM

The Herbal Clear that a PP mentioned can be bought at Target. It is only $1.99. I used it for a few weeks, but found that an alcohol/oe spritz works better for me. Maybe I need to give it another try since it works for your DH.
#29 of 38 Old 11-14-2006, 07:09 PM

I've tried a few and the only one I found so far that works well for me to prevent odor is Nature de France le Stick from Grandpa's Brands, Ive ordered it through Frontier. Ive tried both the unscented and tea tree oil and prefer the tea tree oil stick. In the summer Florida sun I do have to reapply during the day though.
#30 of 38 Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole! View Post
Do I just need to go through a detox period before it really starts working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kJad29 View Post
Hi all!!!
Could someone explain the detox period when switching to natural deoderant? I'd really appreciate it.

I think the detox period is more of a trial and error of finding a natural deodorant that works for you, and also letting your body detox from whatever has built up in your body. When you use an antiperspirant, you inhibit your body from sweating, and through sweat we release toxins. Not to mention whatever things are in the artificial deodorants. So I think the detox period is your body learning to adjust to sweating again and getting rid of whatever buildup of artificial deo you were using before.

I can relate in more detail what happened with me. I know that for me, it took me a couple of years to find a natural deo I liked. I found my detox period to be a mix of some heavier sweating and a stronger odor. It did take a while for me to get used to the feeling of sweating more again after having used an antiperspirant for so many years. But all of this eventually subsided.

I can't tell you how long the detox period lasted for me, because I still used Secret (my deo of choice since I was a teen) and alternated that with the natural deos.
The natural deos I would use more for quiet days at home, and Secret when I was going out with friends and was just paranoid about stinking.

Some of the natural deos I just didn't like the scent of them on me, some I just felt didn't work at all covering up any odor on me. The funny thing was that after awhile I felt that the Secret wasn't working anymore either!

So at this point I decided oh heck, I'll just go to natural deo. If I sweat, I sweat. I was more worried about covering up odor.

I had purchased some lovely perfume oil scents (made from BPAL, which I so highly recommend!!) so I wanted a scent that wouldn't interfere with that. I ended up using a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch, which I sometimes wore alone and sometimes wore and then put on a light perfume scent.
I also started scrubbing my pits with baking soda and following up with a vinegar rinse. This also could have helped my detox period. I still scrub with it once in awhile.

At some point, I realized on the days I wore the baking soda/cornstarch mix alone, I really wasn't stinking anymore. Yeah! The only thing I disliked about it was the slight mess. (I put the mix in a small container and used a clean makeup powder puff, but there were still some powder residue in the sink.)

I was always on the lookout for natural deo recommendations and found one for Funk Butter, which contains baking soda and clays -- all stuff that I have seen people use in their own homemade natural deos. But this one came in a cream deo. And that's what I've stuck with so far.

Hope that helps!

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page