Natural drain declogger??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, my batrhroom sink will not drain properly (hasn't for about a year now). I do weekly treatments of bs & vinegar with boiling water and this helps, but will not clear it. Last week I bought the zip-it tool and pulled out this big gross clump of general nastiness followed by bs, vin and boiling water. Better, but most definitely not cleared. I need something strong but I am TERRIFIED of the contents of most drain stuff at the store.

any suggestions? tia!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#2 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Dump 1/2 cup of baking soda down it...Grab some white vinigar in one hand, drain plug in the other, Pour vinigar down drain, plug ASAP so the foam doesn't run UP but down....and the pressure will also go down. hold the plug in as hard as you can to produce a good seal. Voila clean drain
#3 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Great idea, pandora. I've been doing the BS & vinegar, but just poured it in, didn't think to plug up the drain!
#4 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post
plug ASAP so the foam doesn't run UP but down....and the pressure will also go down. hold the plug in as hard as you can to produce a good seal. Voila clean drain
That's what I've been doing. I think there is a bigger clog further down that I can't reach with the zip-it thingy. Are there any enzyme-type cleaners that may work?

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#5 of 9 Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 PM

I had a very slow-draining sink in this house. I removed it to change a faucet, and found a paintbrush in it (3/4" diameter by 8" long). It looked like previous people had used various chemicals on it, to no avail. You may want to remove the trap (if you have PVC pipe it may be easy) and see what is in there!
#6 of 9 Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
That's what I've been doing. I think there is a bigger clog further down that I can't reach with the zip-it thingy. Are there any enzyme-type cleaners that may work?
Well there is that 1 second plumber stuff. It's just a plunger hooked onto a can of pressurized air, you put the plunger against the drain and push the button and the pressureized air shoots into the drain and voila....no clog...
#7 of 9 Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of 1-second plumber (I assume it's at the hardware store?). I'll give that a try. As far as taking the trap apart, I actually did this a while ago (also replacing the faucet) and cleared a big hair clog out then, but nothing as exciting as a paintbrush!

thanks for the suggestions!

#8 of 9 Old 10-24-2006, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#9 of 9 Old 10-24-2006, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe you can borrow a snake from someone?

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page