Need support for the no poo transition! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this was day 4 of no poo, and my hair feels *I*C*K*Y* I liked the feel of "hair stripped by shampoo" I'd use way more shampoo than really called for, because smaller amounts left greasy feeling spots. The few times I tried using conditioner--even tiny amounts, like a few drops for past the shoulder blades hair applied only to the ends--I'd end up having to wash my hair again. My hair feels heavy and nasty now, like it's loaded down with gel, sort of like it feels when I haven't shampooed for a week.

When does this stop?!?

What I've done:
Day 1--teaspoon BS in a half cup of warm water, massaged into scalp and rinsed well.
Day 2--cap of ACV applied directly to scalp while standing in shower, rinsed well.
Day 3--spritz of diluted ACV combed through, shower with plain water
Day 4--spritz of diluted ACV combed through (detangling), BS as on Day 1

How much worse does it get? Will it get to a peak of *eeeuagh* and then get better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 01:26 AM

This is what I did when I hit that point....................

SUNDAY: 1 tblspn BS to cup of water, shampooed into scalp and rinsed. Follwed by 1 tblspn ACV to cup of water, poured onto hair from temple/ears down. Let sit while washed up rest of body, etc. Rinsed out, and conditioned w/ favorite non-silicone conditioner from scalp to ends (and shampooed in). Let sit while washed face and brushed teeth in shower. Rinsed out. Scrunched hair w/ towel towards scalp. Sprayed lavender water and scrunched more and let dry.

MONDAY: Shampooed w/ water only, and then the scrunch and lavender water routine.

TUESDAY: Shampooed w/ conditioner only, then the scrunch/lavender routine.

WEDNESDAY: (hair starting to test me), did the Sunday routine all over again.

THURSDAY: Did the Monday routine

FRIDAY: Did the Tuesday routine.

SATURDAY: Did the Monday routine.

SUNDAY: Back to Sunday routine.

On week 2, I didn't have to do a 2nd Sunday routine.
Now, I only have to do the Sunday routine about once a month, and I use less conditioner, and I play it by ear w/ my hair! It's so good to me now! I've been playing w/ shampoo bars when I crave sudsy hair, but never more than once a week, and I always love the way my hair feels better w/ the bs/acv instead of the suds!
#3 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
What I've done:
Day 1--teaspoon BS in a half cup of warm water, massaged into scalp and rinsed well.
Day 2--cap of ACV applied directly to scalp while standing in shower, rinsed well.
Day 3--spritz of diluted ACV combed through, shower with plain water
Day 4--spritz of diluted ACV combed through (detangling), BS as on Day 1

How much worse does it get? Will it get to a peak of *eeeuagh* and then get better?
While some people go through an oil-overproduction phase, I think for many (definately me) the transition is more about figuring it out.

Sounds like you are possibly using too little BS, definitely using too much ACV. Don't apply the ACV directly to your roots, especially not in the beginning.

You want to get your hair clean, start no-pooing with normal hair, not extra dirty hair. So I would suggest washing with BS one more time, maybe this time using more. Or you could just shampoo and start over.

Sorry, my arithmetic skills are easily foiled. What is the proportion, with 1 tsp to 1/2 cup? Personally I find it helps to use a squirt bottle, I can direct the BS solution to exactly the spot I want while massaging the scalp and control how fast it goes out.

After washing with BS and rinsing, spritz with the ACV solution... as Spastica says "from the ears down." Do it lightly, especially at first. Don't rinse with water afterwards, or barely.

This will work! Just takes some mad scientist experiments
#4 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

at myself. The top of my head feels great now. Apparently it was just being wet that made it feel icky. The hair not on my scalp is still questionable, but that's what braids and buns are for. Thanks for the tips!

It occurs to me that last night I did more like a tablespoon to a 1/2 cup BS to water. Which would be a 1:6 ratio verses the 1:18 ratio that the teaspoon amount gives. When I started my hair was ordinarily dirty, that is it was a day I would have pooed if I wasn't trying to start no poo.

I'm really looking forward to not having to no poo everyday, when did that start for you?
#5 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM

I only started no poo 3-4 months ago. My yucko transition only lasted about 2 weeks. Hang in there, and don't give up! You and your hair deserve it!
#6 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
I only started no poo 3-4 months ago. My yucko transition only lasted about 2 weeks. Hang in there, and don't give up! You and your hair deserve it!
Yay! 2 weeks, and I'm already on day 5!
#7 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 AM

I just decided to go no-poo too! I can't remember when I last washed with commercial shampoo, but I think it was about 5 days ago too.

I haven't read up on it much so I'm kind of just doing whatever and experimenting. So far it hasn't been too bad. I just started using honey to wash my face and I liked how that went, so I made up a solution of baking soda, honey, and water for my hair and body. My body likes it fine, but my hair....not so much. It's not horrible, it's just not great either. Better than I expected though. I tried no-poo for a few days a couple of weeks ago with BS and ACV and it did NOT go well (and I hate the smell of ACV anyways). So I think I'm going to stick with this for a while. I might try splitting it up though and just doing honey on the ends of my hair because my scalp is too greasy.

We should be no-poo buddies!
#8 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently adding honey can over-condition your hair, like it gets if you use too much commericial conditioner (or any for me), so honey's more to correct dry hair--like after spending time in saltwater--rather than to maintain healthy hair.

My hair is sooo confusing, it looks great right now, but feels nasty. It feels coarse and a bit sticky like it does when it's time for me to shampoo. Of course, no poo is doing something, because normally this stage would be followed the next day by a head of grease, and my hair has been just at the "I probably should wash this" stage for 6 days now.

I last used shampoo, probably last Tuesday, and then used bodywash as shampoo, I think last Friday? It's been at least 8 days since a sudsing hair wash. I just don't count the first few days because it isn't really no pooing if I wouldn't have pooed anyway.

We can do it!
#9 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

just saw in Paxye's post that I actually started on Saturday. Okay, I have no idea when anything happens. I definitely didn't wash my hair for at least a couple of days before Saturday so like 9+ days no poo, and 7 days of this weird looks-okay/feels-blech combination.
#10 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 10:53 AM

My hair doesn't look as bad as it feels. It feels *really* gross, but I'm still going out in public, so it can't look that bad right?

But yeah, I'm definitely going to start washing with just BS and then adding diluted honey just to the tips, which are really dry even though I've been using honey this whole time. That's dry enough to justify it I think.

Surprisingly my DH has not said a word about this! I told him what I was going to do and he just looked at me and shrugged. Then he came in the bathroom while I was bathing and saw DS squirting my solution on me (DS is enjoying the spray bottle ) and he asked what it was and I told him and he just said, "oh". That's really not like him. He normally questions stuff and goes on and on about how I try too hard to be weird. Maybe he's gotten used to it finally.

And I'm really starting to look forward to washing my hair. I like experiments so this is really interesting for me.
#11 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
I just started using honey to wash my face and I liked how that went, so I made up a solution of baking soda, honey, and water for my hair and body. My body likes it fine, but my hair....not so much. It's not horrible, it's just not great either. Better than I expected though. I tried no-poo for a few days a couple of weeks ago with BS and ACV and it did NOT go well (and I hate the smell of ACV anyways). So I think I'm going to stick with this for a while.
I'm putting honey into my BS solution too! I don't see much difference with my hair, but it sure smells nice.

Be careful using BS without an acid rinse. BS is alkaline, which gets out the dirt but also raises the shafts of your hair, making it a bit rough/brittle/dry. An acid rinse such as diluted ACV smoothes the shafts of you rhair back down, making it smooth and strong, and returns your hair to its natural ph level. (Water is slightly alkaline as well.) If it's working fine for you who knows, but at the first sign of dryness do try an acid rinse. Alternatives are lemon/lime, beer, and other alcohols might work too--not sure if you need to boil out the alcohol. Let's see, cranberry juice would also work... there are probably lots of choices.
#12 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

What if my hair feels coarse and greasy at the same time? :
#13 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
An acid rinse such as diluted ACV smoothes the shafts of you rhair back down, making it smooth and strong, and returns your hair to its natural ph level. (Water is slightly alkaline as well.) If it's working fine for you who knows, but at the first sign of dryness do try an acid rinse. Alternatives are lemon/lime, beer, and other alcohols might work too--not sure if you need to boil out the alcohol. Let's see, cranberry juice would also work... there are probably lots of choices.
So even though honey is a moisturizer, it doesn't counter the ph of the BS, then? I probably should have read a little more before starting.

Ok, so as much as I hate the smell of ACV I should pour a little down the bottom half of my hair after using the BS? As long as it rinses out I'll be fine, but standing there in the shower smelling it... Bleh!
#14 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 PM

Ok, I'm excited! I just washed my hair like I planned, with BS and ACV rinse. No honey on the tips though. I decided to just see how it went with the ACV first.

It hasn't dried yet, so I don't know how it *looks*, but it *feels* 10 times better than it has the past 4 days.

I took lots of the advice from all the no-poo threads. I diluted the BS in the right amount of water, really gave my scalp a thorough massage (like someone described the way you wash your hair vs the way someone at a hair salon would), and diluted the ACV right, just poured it over the ends and let it sit while I washed my face.

I think all of that made a huge difference, especially the scalp massage. I could tell while I was doing it that it just needed to be done. Very refreshing.

Before I got in the shower, I noticed my brush had a lot of white powdery stuff stuck all over the hair in he brush. I'm not sure if it was residual BS from the yesterday, or maybe it is just nasty build-up shedding off me. Anyone know? I cleaned the hair out of it and washed it really well so if it is nasty build-up it won't redistribute on my clean hair.

Whoohoo! I was having doubts yesterday, but now my faith has been renewed!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page