Cloth pad reviews wanted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me about cloth pads. I only have a few and I need to get more. Which ones do you recommend and why? Which ones do you not like?

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 99 Old 10-26-2006, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 99 Old 11-02-2006, 06:28 PM

i have used for one cycle New Moon pads. they are made by a WAHM in Canada. they didn't have wings or anything so i was a little leary so i bought from her sale bin. i loved them. they are so comfy and work great. i questioned the backing so i pourded water over the top and none of it leaked and it dried on the surface quickly. because i don't care about what fabric print i'll be bleeding all over i just buy from the bolt end section. you don't know what you're going to get but like i said who cares? it's only going where the sun don't shine.

www.newmoonpads.com

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#4 of 99 Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM

Here's a review I did awhile ago here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ds#post1779183

Here's what it says:
For years I've used Glad Rags. They are work horse pads, to be sure. But I've recently just gotten AF back after having my baby and have gotten to test out the MOE pads. THey are awesome! My main issues with the Glad Rags were the regular pads were too short and the supers too huge for everyday use (great for post partum and overnights, though). They are also not that soft.

The MOE Comfort Pads have been a God send! They are SUPER soft. They absolutely do not stain and they rinse easily (not the case with the Glad Rags). You can re-use the backing, which saves some money. They are just the right length for me, too.

I don't really have experience with other brands to share, but hope this helps. So, in summary:
Fav in general: MOE
Fav overnight: Glad Rags (super long length really has an edge here)
Fav light spotting: MOE

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#5 of 99 Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 PM

I'm glad you started this thread! I want to start using cloth pads, but I have no idea which ones are good and which ones aren't. I ordered a few bolt-end pads from New Moon, and now I'll have to try some from MOE as well.
#6 of 99 Old 11-02-2006, 10:47 PM

has anyone ever used Wemoon pads? they *look* great but are all the way in Aus. so i didn't want to order them without asking if anyone had used them and if they LOVED them.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#7 of 99 Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 PM

My favorite are actually my own- I make them to fit me, so they're perfect.

I love the Glad Rags system (especially their organic cotton pads), and I like Moon Pads, too.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 99 Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 AM

These are my favourites.

They are simple, cheap pin ons. They are easy to use and stay in place better than velcro or snap types. I really like them.

"With the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln,

If I only had a brain."duh.gif

#9 of 99 Old 11-07-2006, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
i have used for one cycle New Moon pads. they are made by a WAHM in Canada. they didn't have wings or anything so i was a little leary so i bought from her sale bin. i loved them. they are so comfy and work great. i questioned the backing so i pourded water over the top and none of it leaked and it dried on the surface quickly. because i don't care about what fabric print i'll be bleeding all over i just buy from the bolt end section. you don't know what you're going to get but like i said who cares? it's only going where the sun don't shine.

www.newmoonpads.com
I use these, too. Love the wingless pads and am always looking for others, but they are so hard to find!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#10 of 99 Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM

I've got Goddess Moons pads. http://goddessmoons.com/products.htm

She has really fast delivery and they wash really well.
#11 of 99 Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM

I'll give you my reviews.

Neither my daughter nor I liked the new moon pads - I was drawn in because she offers so many pretty prints....I bought several of her packages & my daughter & I tried them out for several cycles. It wasn't long before we realized that the minute you take down your panties to go, the pad can flop right off onto the ground. You have to be really careful to prevent this from happening....and it's impossible for me as I've got a babe on my lap usually. There is nothing securing the pad to your panty so there's no control here.

I also didn't like the glad rags....... ......I guess I'm hard to please! I did not like the trouble of having inserts to put in & take out. And, after a few months of washing they weren't very soft or comfy.

I DO like Lotus Pads though!! They are soft, and I like them a lot. I get mine here:

http://www.lotuspads.com/indexDefault.html

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#12 of 99 Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 PM

I've only tried the organic glad rags and they work great for me, but I would like to try some organic WAHM ones as well. I'm interested to see all the suggestions because I really need some more pads for after the babe is born. Also, not to steal this thread, but some suggestions for post partum pads would also be great!!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#13 of 99 Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 PM

treemom - I use the Lotus postpartum pads.....I use them for everyday because my flow is very heavy. They're the only ones I've found that are good for this purpose yet comfortable.

#14 of 99 Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Does anyone use Luna pads? They are kind of $$$- yikes!

I am glad to have found this thread- I'd like to use cloth postpartum (sorry, not the OP's question!: ). Any suggestions?

I purchased some from www.doulashop.com They are hemp and I got 6 pads and 12 inserts for $33- seemed like a good deal but we'll see how they work. They have hemp 'regular' pads also, similar price.

Otherwise, I could sew some (rather, my mom could sew some ) but where does one find fabric?

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 99 Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
treemom - I use the Lotus postpartum pads.....I use them for everyday because my flow is very heavy. They're the only ones I've found that are good for this purpose yet comfortable.
are the PP pads the sleep pads? i can't seem to find the PP pads anywhere on their site.

#16 of 99 Old 11-14-2006, 03:30 PM

ordering amazpadz.com caused me to become pregnant. Okay, not really, but by the time they got here I WAS pregnant and haven't had the chance to use them yet. Looking forward to it, though after baby on the way is born.

I've used a bunch from various stay at home mom businesses. All good. What do you prefer? inserts? all in ones? hemp? have you looked at the companies that make cloth diapers? Oftentimes they will make mama cloth too or make them upon request. amazpadz were pretty though, and gladrags lasted me over 10 years and are still going strong, but are difficult to wash and rinse well, IMO.

Also the overnights are too much for anything but a super heavy/postpardum flow and they can most certainly leak. Wings can sometimes be too small. I also feel that the regular pads can be "TOO MUCH" for light days, but the benefit is that you can use the inserts for liners or just take out the inserts or add what you need.

I prefer hemp though. Softer with each wash and antibacterial, naturally.

Any more thoughts ladies?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#17 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
are the PP pads the sleep pads? i can't seem to find the PP pads anywhere on their site
Yes, mama....they are called Nite Time on that site.

Truthfully, I have yet to find a cloth pad that contains my heavy flow....and when I'm postpartum - forget it! Postpartum I usually sit on towels for the first couple of days. These Lotus pads are the best I've found however, for postpartum among all the cloth pads.

There's another site that sells Lotus pads too.....called Julie's stuff. It's here: http://www.juliestuff.com/pages/ClothPads.html

Hers are just slightly more expensive than the regular lotus site.

#18 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 AM

My absolute, hands down favorite are these:

http://hyenacart.com/onestore.php?vid=498&category=3

Danielle makes awesome pads, they are an 'all in one' style, with small wings, contoured and kinda quilted. The quilting keeps them from bunching and feeling bulky. I have postpartum pads and maxi's from her and they rock! I know she'll be stocking/taking orders soon. She's really sweet to work with too.

I personally like a small wing on my pad, no for protection but like a PP said, to keep them in my panties! Nothing worse than one falling on the floor or in the toilet. I like a MM fleece backing too----PUL makes me too hot.
#19 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
I'll give you my reviews.

Neither my daughter nor I liked the new moon pads - I was drawn in because she offers so many pretty prints....I bought several of her packages & my daughter & I tried them out for several cycles. It wasn't long before we realized that the minute you take down your panties to go, the pad can flop right off onto the ground. You have to be really careful to prevent this from happening....and it's impossible for me as I've got a babe on my lap usually. There is nothing securing the pad to your panty so there's no control here.

I also didn't like the glad rags....... ......I guess I'm hard to please! I did not like the trouble of having inserts to put in & take out. And, after a few months of washing they weren't very soft or comfy.

I DO like Lotus Pads though!! They are soft, and I like them a lot. I get mine here:

http://www.lotuspads.com/indexDefault.html
You might want to rty pinning the new moon pads. A small safety pin, horizontal, pinned from theoutside of your panties through the outer layer of the pad.I use pin ons and feel very secure.

#20 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You might want to rty pinning the new moon pads. A small safety pin, horizontal, pinned from theoutside of your panties through the outer layer of the pad.I

not with a babe on my lap & only one free hand! i've got 6 kids mama.

#21 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
ordering amazpadz.com caused me to become pregnant. Okay, not really, but by the time they got here I WAS pregnant and haven't had the chance to use them yet. Looking forward to it, though after baby on the way is born.?
And all this time we were JUST having sex. MAN!

I may have to order more cloth pads so I can get pregnant too.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#22 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM

I think there is a thread on here somewhere, maybe the ttc boards or pregnancy boards or something...it was "how to get pregnant" or something like that. I was IN SHOCK by how many women said "order mama cloth". I was even more in shock a week later when I, too, found out I was pregnant while waiting for my pads to arrive.

Okay, on to the original topic...

I bought one of these...again, only ONE, and I LOVED it. I bought it for post partum and it was VERY effective. http://perfectpads.net/

I got another one too that I liked, but I belive that it stained and it took almost a year to find a way to get it out. It was made from cotton, not microfleese and was a DIFFERENT company than the one above. I'll post if I find it. It was very absorbant though, also with a hemp core.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#23 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 02:57 PM

OMG!! i just realised this suprise pregnancy happened when i got my new moom pads. i got them right when i started and was only able to wear them for that cycle because BAM! worm in the womb!! thats insane...

#24 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 PM

Completely OT, but the other way to get pg, besides ordering new pads, is to give away all your cloth diapers.

#25 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoamama View Post
Completely OT, but the other way to get pg, besides ordering new pads, is to give away all your cloth diapers.

I did that already.. and all my baby stuff, and my maternity clothes. Still not pregnant.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#26 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM

I like the New Moon pads linked on the first page. I don't mind that they don't snap - I'm used to either pinching through the front of the panty or hooking my thumb over it as I pull down.

I dislike wings because I think they pull everything the wrong direction. I'd rather have a "cupped" than a "domed" pad and snaps make them feel domed. I am tempted to try those Perfect Pads just because I'd feel comfortable wearing them to work without a tampon because I could fold them up and snap them like that. That's an appealing feature. I've also looked at Hag Rags because she makes a larger pad and in interesting shapes and they're groovy looking. I think they're the kind you stuff, though.

I think it is good to try one or two styles at first and decide - wings or no wings? Wide or narrow? Shorter or longer? AIO or fold/stuff?
#27 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM

:

Are any reviewers plus size mamas?

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#28 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
ordering amazpadz.com caused me to become pregnant. Okay, not really, but by the time they got here I WAS pregnant and haven't had the chance to use them yet. Looking forward to it, though after baby on the way is born.

... I prefer hemp though. Softer with each wash and antibacterial, naturally.

Any more thoughts ladies?

Her pads are beautiful, really nice and unique looking. Does she ship here???

I agree with the hemp. Using handmademama.com pads, they're fine (and I'm plus-sized, to respond to Skim's post) but I have a mix of cotton and hemp pads, some cotton with hemp core ... well, anyway, my favorites are the 100% hemp ones. Price was reasonable and she shipped fast (was still in the States when I got 'em, she's in Canada) and was very helpful with suggestions, etc.

The long/large ones (called post-partum or overnights) are also what I use on not-heavy days if I'm wearing white.

But then again, I use a Keeper (cup), so my pads are really for anti-leak-back-up.
#29 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post
:

Are any reviewers plus size mamas?
That'd be me. I think my size is at least part of the reason I don't care for wings.

Also, unless I'm at home, I wear my pads as back-up.
#30 of 99 Old 11-15-2006, 11:46 PM

I really like my Mama Frogg Cloth from londonfrogg.com
I really prefer the AIO style, and wings. I really like the look of Ama'z Padz too though... If I used cloth more (I use a UK Mooncup almost exlusively) I would get some to try out. I was initialy atracted to luna pads, but I think Ama'z are a better design, and I like smaller companies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page