Henna Hair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've come across quite a few different manufactuers of Henna hair dye. Does anyone have any advise or comments on particular ones? Can you get color swatches in advanced? How long do they last?

I have quite a lot of hair thats med. brown in color and I would love to add a mellow red color to it and also hide some greys.

Thanks in advanced for any advise.
Di
#2 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 09:22 PM

I just bought light brown henna from morrocco method. I really like it as it is not as intense as what I was using. I was using pure henna from www.hennaforhair.com

Check out the mixes at the henna for hair site to give you some ideas of what you can do. If you don't want to go that intense, I would try morrocco method's henna.

Whatever brand you try, be sure to do strand tests. Also google the name of the brand and "green" to see if anyone ended up with green hair from that brand.
morroccomethod likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 11:35 PM

I would stay away from any pre-mixed hennas...like Rainbow or Light Mountain. I would check out the link that Prariechild posted...there is lots of good info there and lists of where to order pure henna.
I get mine bulk from Frontier through my local natural food store and it is awesome.
#4 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 12:08 AM

Yep, I would stay away from light mountain and such. I get 100% henna, body art quality. I love it much more. I love hennafor hair. When I henna I usually use cranberry juice for my acid and just add henna. Thats it, simple. I have med brown hair also and it gives me some good red tones. In bright light it is red, but you can still see my hair is brown. The last time I hennaed was in Dec last year. I am growing it out now, you can still see my roots, they are quite a few inches and the red from the henna underneath. So it can last a very long time. But it never used to last before I started using good henna, it would be like a 6 week thing. Good henna also gives me a very good shine and makes my hair feel thicker.
#5 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 01:24 AM

Yep, I henna my hair from the same place everyone has mentioned. If you click my blog link you can see pics of my hair. Actually, Valerie was the one who turned me onto it. HI Valerie!!!

I have sandy brown/blonde hair and it turned my hair FIRE red at first. Now it has settled to a nice rusty color that I love. When did it I dumped in a half a package and some lemon juice and water. Next time I'll probably go with just few tablespoons

Also, if you do it, I would forego the lemon juice - it really burns. I've heard alot of people use apple cider vinegar or just plain apple juice and apparently cranberry juice.

Anyway, yah, definitely get your henna from mehandi.com, aka hennaforhair. I wouldn't use anything else. And once you try it you will be totally hooked. It makes your hair so soft and shiny. It's awesome.
#6 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 AM

Be careful with non body art quality (BAQ) hennas. They achieve darker tones using metals which are just as dangerous as those in conventional dyes--and react with conventional dyes in scary ways. Pure henna always gives you the same general red color, though some things will make it weaker or stronger. With BAQ henna darker tones are achived with indigo, which a different dye than henna. That's covered on the hennaforhair.com website too.

On the other hand I've used pure hennas that were not BAQ, just bought in Indian shops, and been happy with them.
#7 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
On the other hand I've used pure hennas that were not BAQ, just bought in Indian shops, and been happy with them.
Same here. I don't need something which has been sifted ultrafine--I'm just slapping it on my hair, not using a fine-tip applicator for mehndi!

I buy Dulhan henna from our local Indian shop. I usually mix it with red wine, lemon juice, and HOT water in which I've boiled a few cloves. I also typically add a few drops of cypress EO.

I do find that having a handheld showerhead helps keep the shower from looking like a mudpit. I kneel over and rinse the henna out until my hair is uncoiled and tries to slip down the drain, then I slowly stand up and continue rinsing. I usually comb tons of conditioner through with a large-tooth comb, and then give my hair an ACV rinse.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#8 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 12:07 PM

Hi Annie I love your hair. I think it turned out really nice. And so you know, all my pictures turn out like that also
I actually really prefer the body art qualtiy, I have been able to rinse it out much easier than the henna that I had used before. I have also used a bucket to dunk my head in and loosen the henna before using the shower. I usually leave my on over night, wrapped in plastic wrap, my husband so loves the look So by the time I am rinsing it is much drier. I so want to henna my hair again. But I promised my husband I would grow it out so he can see I have gray hair also
#9 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild View Post
I just bought light brown henna from morrocco method. I really like it as it is not as intense as what I was using. I was using pure henna from www.hennaforhair.com
Great site! I love looking at all the different mixes and reading the stories. Some of those reds are amazing.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
I do find that having a handheld showerhead helps keep the shower from looking like a mudpit.
I actually read on hennaforhair that you can take a bath and let the henna dissolve that way. I think I'll try that, sounds much more relaxing... the poster assured me that it doesn't stain your whole body red

Hm, I should henna soon. I was waiting to get the hang of no-pooing, but I think I have now.
#11 of 11 Old 10-27-2006, 06:07 PM

I didn't have that problem. I only left my henna on for about 20 minutes and it was plenty red enough. I don't think the mud even had time to dry!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page