What to keep BS in in the shower? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you all use to store your baking soda in in the shower? We have started no-pooing and everything is going really well so far, but we have our baking soda stored in a Ziplock baggie, which isn't turning out to be an ideal storage device. I'd rather not use anything breakable in the shower, and would prefer if it would fit into our shower caddy that hangs from the showerhead.
#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 04:19 PM

I just put my enough BS in an old shampoo bottle for one use as needed (BS is kept in the kitchen so it doesn;t get moist in the bathroom) . I only wash with BS every few days anyway. Only takes 20 seconds to do it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 05:50 PM

I recycled an old parmesan cheese shaker for mine.
#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I keep my no-poo supply in a Gladware tub, one of the slightly taller blue "holiday" ones. It stays dry as it's on the corner of the tub outside the shower curtain. I scoop what I need into my mixing cup before each shower, add the honey, then start the water. I add the water to dilute the BS and honey while in the shower.

After I've rinsed out the cup, I use it for the vinegar rinse.

I also learned today that the feed grade baking soda stays too gritty for good no-poo. I'll be switching back to the usual for my hair, but keep on using the cheaper stuff for laundry and cleaning.

"What will you do once you know?"
#5 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
I keep my no-poo supply in a Gladware tub, one of the slightly taller blue "holiday" ones. It stays dry as it's on the corner of the tub outside the shower curtain. I scoop what I need into my mixing cup before each shower, add the honey, then start the water. I add the water to dilute the BS and honey while in the shower.

After I've rinsed out the cup, I use it for the vinegar rinse.

I also learned today that the feed grade baking soda stays too gritty for good no-poo. I'll be switching back to the usual for my hair, but keep on using the cheaper stuff for laundry and cleaning.
Do you keep the honey in the bathroom as well?
#6 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you keep the honey in the bathroom as well?
Yup!

It's in a plastic bottle, so no breakage hazard. I get cheap, if any honey can be so labelled, honey at Sam's for my hair. I buy local wildflower honey for any occasional food use.

I don't want to have to be going to the kitchen before my shower, so it's all right there.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 11 Old 11-01-2006, 11:57 PM

Arm and Hammer has a plastic shaker bottle in the baking aisle - I reuse and refill that container. I fill it halfway at a time so that moisture doesn't clump it.
#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 07:42 AM

I use a plastic squirt bottle that I bought. I pre-make the solution, dissolving about 1 tbspn in about 1 cup of water, with a big glop of honey... not sure exactly what the proportions are right now though. I figure the less BS I can use and yet still get my hair clean, the better. And the more honey. I have hair down to my chin right now, and I'd guess that one cup of this solution lasts me about four showers, because of the control afforded by the squirt bottle. I use the same kind of squirt bottle for the vinegar too. Oh, this also allows me to add eos beforehand.

ETA: I got the squirt bottles from gaiagarden(s?).com, but since their site doesn't have pics of the products I'm not sure which it is.
#9 of 11 Old 11-02-2006, 01:53 PM

I have a cheapy retail plastic container that had glycerin soap in, that I use to keep my bs in. I can't say it's ideal, but I was at least able to reuse the container. It probably won't last much longer, but I'm feeling good about reusing something before parting ways w/ it. I threw out the parm cheese shaker and kicked myself over it. It would have been perfect for the bs! It was the little one, so cute and perfect!
#10 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 AM

I've got a screwtop food container (by ziplock?) to store it in, I mix and use it in my old peri bottles.
#11 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 PM

Switched to a spice container (emptied out the expired pumpkin spice), and it's working verrrrrry well for me. I sprinkle it on my head to poo, or in my hand to mix w/ honey to scrub my face w/ once a week. Out of the shower, I sprinkle some in my hand to rub on the pits. I use the small shorty container.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page