Mineral Makeup? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad to have found this thread! I was just thinking of posting the same question...
I was also wondering how long the makup is "good" for? I use makeup so rarely - do the minerals "go bad"?
Thanks!

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom View Post
I'm so glad to have found this thread! I was just thinking of posting the same question...
I was also wondering how long the makup is "good" for? I use makeup so rarely - do the minerals "go bad"?
Thanks!
From what I have read, I believe that mineral makeup lasts forever. There is nothing in it that can actually spoil. (Everyday Minerals has a FAQ section that is very informative.)

I received my first sample pack from Everyday Minerals and am lovin' it! I just ordered a second one bc I am trying to figure out my colors & foundation base (matte, semi-, etc.).

Thank you all for the great advice. This has been fun.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#33 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom View Post
Thanks!
Nope, don't go bad. There are only 4 ingredients and they're all mineral...so it's basically smashed up rocks. Rocks don't go bad.
#34 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Rocks don't go bad.
Just sounded cute.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#35 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the tip about Everyday Minerals. I have always wanted to try mineral makeup but didn't want to shell out the big bucks. I just ordered the free sample and I am so excited. I don't use much make-up so this will be good for a little while as a trial run. I just hope I ordered the right shades for my coloring.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#36 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 PM

Everything I try I like more than the last, I started with BE and loved it but not the price, then got into the Sheer Miracle co-ops loved that even more than BE. Yesterday I got my free samples from Everydayminerals, and yet again I think I like tha even more.

Once you go mineral you never go back

I always hated makeup, I always looked fake, but I have really lousy skin. Now I just look normal and smooth.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#37 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 03:51 PM

I have both Bare Minerals and the JLynne brand and I do like both of them alot.

The only thing is that they do not give heavy coverage in my opinion so I still use a concealor stick with mine for really dark spots.

Resistance is futile Matey
#38 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 10:04 PM

I just tried Sheer Miracle, after using Bare Minerals for over 7 years. I will note that the fact that it lacks Bismuth is great, and it was nice to not have that shine or itch (though I didn't mind, as it was better than others I'd tried), but Sheer Minerals isn't my "IT" just yet. I still have to get my order in for Everyday Minerals. I had a problem placing my order online, and kept getting an error message, regardless of my method of payment chosen. I will try again, because I'm excited to be trying other minerals. Sheer Minerals was a pleasant change, and if I had to choose between it and Bare Minerals, I'd have to say buh-bye to Bare Minerals. So, Sheer is at the top spot, but can't call it "IT" just yet.
#39 of 44 Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Now I'm all excited to get my samples! I've been wanting something as a foundation recently (normally I wear just blush/concealer/mascara) but my skin has been bugging me a bit and even the tinted moisturizers annoy me.

So, I'm very excited to try the minerals. Do any of you experts have any application tips? Oh... and how long does it last on your face? It seems like if you touched your face, it would all just come right off. Do you find you have to reapply often?

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#40 of 44 Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Oooh, are you in for a treat! Application (typical) is dipping a kabuki (preferred by most) brush into the minerals, swirling the brush w/ the minerals into a lid, saucer, or counter top (to get the minerals pulled into the brush). Tap off the excess, then buff in circles all over your face (starting in the center cheek area and working out from there, or where you need more coverage). It is nearly foolproof, because minerals are so forgiving. Start w/ less, then add more where you need it. My favorite thing to do to show people is to do half of my face, so they can see the difference. It's YOU, only flawless, and still let's your skin show through. It's makedown makeup! If you like sheer coverage, you can always use a damp sponge, dip, and apply. Then, if you need a little extra, buff dry in those areas! There are so many ways to make it work for you! I rarily have to touchup in an 8 hour period of time. If I do, it's usually finishing powder (or cornstarch is cheaper) because I get shiny head towards the end of the day. It is NOT like powder you've ever used. It's in powder FORM, but a species all of it's own. It's almost creamy, but NOT. It's not dry like powder you may have used before. It's water resistant, w/ an SPF in natural form of titanium dioxide. You can sweat, and it won't run off your face. It holds up in humidity, w/ maybe a little help from finishing powder or cornstarch (or rice starch). I've misted my face, and the makeup keeps doing it's thing. You might rub up on someone's shirt, and little (if any) will get on them, and you'll not need to touch up afterwards. You are going to LOOOOOOVE the change!!!!!
#41 of 44 Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM

For parts of my face that need extra coverage, I start out by using an eyeshadow brush and applying a small amount of the makeup with that. That includes undereye (I have dark circles that I can get rid of with herbs, but I can't take the herbs while I'm pregnant like now), any zits, and any just red areas. Then, I use the larger brush that came with the Bare Escentuals when I bought it. I don't really use circles or anything, but I do tap the brush on the lid to make sure I don't have too much on the brush before I apply. Mostly when I have to reapply during the day, it's the areas I needed more coverage in to begin with, and I'll just use the eyeshadow brush again (I think you can probably get these with any makeup brush kit, it's an actual brush, not a sponge-tipped thing, I got mine from my mom who got it in a Clinique free gift bag).
#42 of 44 Old 11-13-2006, 05:36 PM

ot - what herbs get rid of dark circles???
#43 of 44 Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM

Herbs that might help dark circles would be nettle leaf, alfalfa, yellow dock, dandelion leaf-anything rich in iron. Iron deficiency can be a cause of dark circles.

o.k. I haven't heard BWC mentioned here & I have to say they have such great samples! http://www.beautywithoutcruelty.com
They give samples for $1. I love the selection of colors. You can also moisten the eye shadows & use them as a liner.
They have some of the nicest eyeshadow & lip glaze I have ever used.(another redhead here!)
#44 of 44 Old 11-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr View Post
ot - what herbs get rid of dark circles???

Horse chestnut and butcher's broom got rid of them for me. Mine are just caused by the same things that cause varicose veins, apparently, since that's what these herbs are normally used for. A lot of it is just genetics and thin skin for me. One of those herbs (I can't remember which does exactly what now) does something with the veins, though, and one does something with the blood, so I thought during pregnancy that would be bad esp for the umbilical cord. I'll investigate it pretty soon for breastfeeding, I seem to remember it was OK, but can't remember for sure now.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page