What to put on flea bites...HELP!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the best thing for flea bites???!!!
I think we finally got them out of the house and off the pets, but I am ready to scratch myself raw, seriously. At night and in the morning is the worst. I suppose because I am more quiet and not so busy.
I'm thinking of just scratching with a spatula or something, I'm in HELL!!!

Any fancy ideas of what the heck to put on these dang bites? and any idea of when these suckers are supposed to go away? If they are not gone for good I think I am going to scream. Of course the temp. is way above normal so the fleas are probably still thriving outside :

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2006, 01:06 AM

that sucks! I've had some success with tea tree oil on mosquito bites. Maybe that can help? (maybe you can wear gloves to bed so at least you can't scratch them raw while you sleep?!?!) good luck.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#3 of 4 Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 AM

Oh my gosh! I had this EXACT problem this summer. Ugh, I really feel your pain. My legs and ankles are so scared up b/c of the bites.

Heres what my NP told me: everyone gets bit, despite the old wifes tail that some ppl are more prone then others. She said it seems like others get it worse b/c they are allergic to the salivia of the fleas. There are things to sooth the bites but nothing natural that is really going to stop the itch- which is the part that is most bothersome!

I ended up breaking down and using some Benadryl allergy spray (so I didn't have to rub the bite). It would sting a bit if I had previously scratch the bite (which was always- I would scratch in my sleep and not know it). I also tried some poision ivy gel that I got at hte grocery store and it seemed to work better then the spray.

As far as getting rid of the fleas: I tried everything natural. BS on the dog beds, ceaderwood oil (made a spray out of it for the pets)- nothing worked. So, in total desperation I broke down and got the dogs/cats that topical stuff for their backs. Within a day- no more flea problems.

I figured out it was my indoor cat- he had been occassionally going outside when I was gardening. So, I know that IF he is going to go outdoors I need to DRENCH him in ceder oil spray to deter the fleas so they don't take hold.

hth,

Beth
#4 of 4 Old 11-08-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much.
I really do feel like I am going to die. I'm itching right now and not because I am reading this - I was doing it already.

We had to break down and go with chemicals too because I just didn't know what else to do. It's not even clear if that has worked for sure - it seems like it though. We had to set off a flea bomb in the house and treat the animals. Now I'm sure we will die of cancer from the residue on everything in the house- what else can you do though? The dogs are OK I think, from a health perspective. The cat, who is an indoor cat, has scabs all over and her skin is bright red. She has quit scratching though so I feel like she should start healing.

I agree about everyone getting bit but some people being allergic because I was this way as a kid with mosquitos. I'd scratch them like crazy and I would be one big scab all summer.
DH has some flea bites but not as many (he was gone the weekend) but he's not itching, and dd doesn't even seem to have any...not any you can see anyway.

I took a shower just now so now my skin is dry too. I gotta get off of the PC and go put something on my skin. Please let this be over soon.

Oh ya, how long did it take you to quit itching?

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page