Complexion Issues and Fabric Softener - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to share that I had a total epiphany recently! I have had awful cystic acne for the last several months, I think due partly to hormonal fluctuations associated with not getting a period and EBFing my 9 month-old. I was able to find some products that are helping me get it under control, but I suffered a relapse this week. And I figured out why:

I started using vinegar as a fabric softener in our laundry a couple of months ago. I was washing our bedsheets last weekend and didn't want the static, so I put a little bit of liquid fabric softener in the load and forgot to add my regular cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. Well, I started getting breakouts again. I really think that using fabric softener has everything to do with it. The vinegar has been removing all the trace amounts of softener left on the sheets, and what was left over in this last load was enough to really irritate my skin.

Vinegar...what a miracle! I am so sold on getting rid of the chemical fabric softener all together now.
#2 of 4 Old 11-09-2006, 03:36 PM

A little off topic, but, do you use a whole cup of vinegar? I am trying to change my cleaning habits and have heard about the vinegar in the "softener" cycle. But I never now how much to put in? What type of vinegar do you use???
#3 of 4 Old 11-09-2006, 10:27 PM

If you have a top load washer, just use the Downy ball, and put white distilled vinegar in there in place of Downy. If you have a front loader washer, just fill up to the line for softener. Experiment, if you want, starting w/ a 1/4-1/2 cup. Vinegar ROCKS!
#4 of 4 Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM

It's crazy what those chemicals will do to you. I used to use Secret antiperspirant/deodorant that gave me big painul cysts under my arms. Now I use Weleda.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page