shampoo bars - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a site that sells shampoo bars. I really like the burts bees one that we use on the kids, but want something a little more grown up smelling for me and dh. Where can I buy some?
#2 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 PM

Try etsy. There are some soap makers that sell adult shampoo bars and alot of people love them.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#3 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have tried quite a few, Chargein Valley (good, but has a serious adjusting period,IMO), Burts Bees Rosmary Mint (way too greasy), SoapLady (very nice, great smelling and moisterizing), hands down JR Liggetts is the best for us. Easy to use, super lather in all types of water, rinses clean.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 PM

Really any handmade soap can be used as a shampoo. It's just a matter of finding which recipe your hair likes best. There's nothing really super different about shampoo bars, some people insist that they contain castor oil but it's still just soap, lol.

That said, I've noticed differences between recipes as MaryLang describes, so you might want to try some different kinds & see what works for you. I really like a goatsmilk bar for my hair, but a bar high in olive oil doesn't feel as good on it. Everyone's hair is different!
#5 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 PM

lush!
that's my final word on the matter.
#6 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 07:32 PM

Just to clarify, Lush shampoo bars are solid form of shampoo similar to what you buy in bottles, (very different from a soap shampoo bar) & they do contain detergents and surfactants.
#7 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I *love* Olivier. Love. Most of their soap can be used on hair. I like the cranberry. And, their exema soap has eliminated my need for corticosteroids on my hands over the winter. Amazing stuff, and it smells divine, even though it's naturally scented.
http://www.oliviersoaps.com/english/soapery/index.cfm
Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

#8 of 12 Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post
I have tried quite a few, Chargein Valley (good, but has a serious adjusting period,IMO), Burts Bees Rosmary Mint (way too greasy), SoapLady (very nice, great smelling and moisterizing), hands down JR Liggetts is the best for us. Easy to use, super lather in all types of water, rinses clean.

Where are you getting these?

I can get the burts bees rosemary mint locally - but that's it and I'd love to expand at some point.
#9 of 12 Old 11-11-2006, 03:15 PM

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

All of her soaps sound awesome! But I've never tried them so I can't tell you for sure, however the ingrediants look to be good quality!~

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#10 of 12 Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Lush is made form melt and pour, so not really detergents but it does contain those chemicals that make melt and pour melt and pour.

The reason people like castor oil in their shampoo bars is because the way castor oil lathers in soap. It makes a very foamy lather, I use it when making shaving soap.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#11 of 12 Old 11-24-2006, 12:22 AM

This guy is local to me: http://www.softwindsoap.com

He makes an "Ugly Beer Shampoo" bar that I LOVE and that smells great - just like sweet tea (although it's not listed on his web site). If you email the owner TJ about it, tell him Jamie sent ya!

I'm new to this whole "natural cleaning" thing so I haven't checked his ingredients yet. But he's great so I'm sure he'd tell you about how he makes his soaps and shampoo bars.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#12 of 12 Old 11-24-2006, 11:19 PM

I bought a goat's milk bar from Whole Foods that is yummy and gender neutral, and I think it was frankinscense and myrrh. I think it's by Zum (Bar?). I use it for my pits, then use BS for deodorant now, and it's just lovely and light and fresh smelling. I used it on my hair once or twice too, when I was having a craving for suds (I'm a no-pooer). I haven't started making my soap yet, but am digging trying other soaps for ideas. Love that Zum soap though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page