Black Soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a brand of (authentic) African Black Soap that they love?

I've recently started using it (along with honey every few days ), but I'm thinking about stopping b/c it is drying my face out so bad--and I have oily skin. Does this ever stop happening or is it normal?

I'd really like to continue using the soap as I refuse to put any more nasty chemical concoctions on my skin. I think that is what has caused it's poor condition in the first place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 09:28 PM

I can't use soap on my face at all, even though I have some oily areas. It maybe that it's just too cleansing for you. If you've had good luck with soap before, just not this kind, you might try some handmade soaps. (not the clear kind) Look for a soap that contains little or no coconut oil for a soap that will be less assertive at stripping oils. Most soapmakers are happy to answer questions about their product and can tell you which soap they recommend as most gentle.
#3 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 PM

you can get ABS here www.agbangakarite.com they also have the MOST AWESOME unrefined shea butter that you can use to make your own whipped shea with. but the ABS you can buy and rebatch youself and add your own fragrance to it if desired.
#4 of 9 Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybeesmamma View Post
Anyone have a brand of (authentic) African Black Soap that they love?

I've recently started using it (along with honey every few days ), but I'm thinking about stopping b/c it is drying my face out so bad--and I have oily skin. Does this ever stop happening or is it normal?

I'd really like to continue using the soap as I refuse to put any more nasty chemical concoctions on my skin. I think that is what has caused it's poor condition in the first place!
I got mine from 2 different sources on Ebay. The latest one is made w/ 48% shea butter. It is softer, but looooovely. This time of year, you may feel drier than normal, regardless of what you use. I have recently gone back to black soap after not using it for 6 months to try other things, but I'm right back to it. Normally, I would moisturize w/ a pea sized amount of unrefined shea on moist skin after washing. I bought some jojoba last night, and tried it, and like it as well, if not better, but I've only used it last night and this morning. The only other thing I'm doing w/ my skin as of late is bs/honey scrub once a week, and a few days later, the oat flour/cornmeal/salt routine. I really love black soap, and my daughter just started using it about a month ago because she's at the teen stage of little tiny white heads. I have combo skin, but my oily is OILY. If I break out, the black soap ANHIALATES the zits in a flash, and I can feel it working it's magic. My pores are tight, but I don't feel dry like my face is going to crack. It's smooth and very clean. The jojoba was a nice follower................................
#5 of 9 Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info!!

I tried adding honey to the lather last night and that seemed to help (along with boatloads of ACV afterwards). I had never knowingly used anything with oil on my face, so I am quite surprised that it has done the exact opposite of a big oil slick!
#6 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Jojoba "oil" is actually a wax, but looks like an oil. It is most known to be closest to your skin's natural oils in it's makeup. If you provide moisture to your skin, it will not rebel and overproduce oil...........which I learned the hard way, even growing up AND working in the beauty industry. I will say about the black soap, from what I remember, my face did go through an adjustment period after coming off of some salon cleanser. My skin did feel dry back then, but it was normal after a couple of weeks. I do remember "toning" w/ acv (w/ "mother") as well, which helped to get me through the adjustment. I don't think I was using any moisturizer to follow while going through the adjustment though. It's been too long to remember! Anyway, honey is soooooooo amazing! I use it on my hair and face, and as we speak, I've got white organic raw honey from Hawaii on my face as a mask, after washing w/ the recipe on here of oat flour, corn meal, and sea salt (morning routine is black soap or if I've worn makeup that day). I'm constantly playing w/ new routines of these natural things, and feel like doing something amazing for my skin every day!
#7 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen View Post
Jojoba "oil" is actually a wax, but looks like an oil. It is most known to be closest to your skin's natural oils in it's makeup. If you provide moisture to your skin, it will not rebel and overproduce oil...........which I learned the hard way, even growing up AND working in the beauty industry. I will say about the black soap, from what I remember, my face did go through an adjustment period after coming off of some salon cleanser. My skin did feel dry back then, but it was normal after a couple of weeks. I do remember "toning" w/ acv (w/ "mother") as well, which helped to get me through the adjustment. I don't think I was using any moisturizer to follow while going through the adjustment though. It's been too long to remember! Anyway, honey is soooooooo amazing! I use it on my hair and face, and as we speak, I've got white organic raw honey from Hawaii on my face as a mask, after washing w/ the recipe on here of oat flour, corn meal, and sea salt (morning routine is black soap or if I've worn makeup that day). I'm constantly playing w/ new routines of these natural things, and feel like doing something amazing for my skin every day!

Do you have a specific brand of Jojoba that you like? If you can say that on MDC? I've never really looked for it, like I said, I've always kept oil far far from my face! I suppose I would just look amoungst the other oils in the body care section?

I want to try the oatflour mask!! Home remedies are so fun!

OH, and what's this "mother" business? Is it in vinagers like Braggs or are you gals making your own? I've been using the cheapie I had in my pantry. I think I'll either start attempting to make it or buy the good stuff and start drinking it too.
#8 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 PM

I looked through all of the ones at Whole Foods, and hope I don't get in trouble for saying which one I chose! I chose it because it was the smallest size (therefor cheapest at $8, and I didn't want to spend a lot if my skin wouldn't have reacted well to it or made me oilier). The other considering factor was it has a spray pump (more of a spritz), which pumped out just enough for me to rub all over my hands to apply all over my face and neck. Not too much, not too little. It absorbs easily and fairly quickly (guessing 20 minutes, while I'm doing other things around the house). The brand is Heather Loraine, and they offered a golden color and a clear color. They claim that dark skin responds better to the golden one, and since the only "dark" I am in appearance (not genetics though, as there IS color in my genes, just not present in my skin) is via tanning 30 minutes a week. I really like it because it feels so natural and light on, and not greasy feeling at all.
#9 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM

I LOVE African Black Soap!!

LOVE IT!!

The kind I used looks like what is on that website. I used to be able to buy it from this interesting store at the local farmer's market but it closed.

It looked like a big ball of poo...but it was darn fantastic soap. I usually make my own soap (and have big piles), so any soap that I go out of my way to purchase has to be fabulous.

I didn't use it on my face though..it was really drying. It got rid of those little bumps on my upper arms and made my legs feel incredibly soft.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page