Head Lice... Please Help!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I am new here and I apologize if this has already been discussed but I am in desperate need of help. About a month ago I figured out that my 5 year old had head lice, I checked my 13 year old and he had it too. I started realizing that I was feeling pretty itchy and pulled a nit out of my hair and freaked out. Ran to the drug store and bought Nix, it didn't work. Read some stuff online about how these products don't work anymore and started doing some alternative stuff, but it's still not working for me. Although the 5 year old seems to be lice free, the 13 year old still had it and decided he would rather have his hair cut than deal with all the picking and prodding so I got his hair buzzed yesterday.... I have done mayonaise, vinegar, a $30 electronic comb ( just in case you are wondering, those don't work either so save your money), tea tree oil, vegetable oil, denorex, coconut shampoo and conditioner, and licefreee, etc.I have spent the past three nights with a half jar of vaseline on my head and wrapped in saran wrap and duct tape, just found a dead nymph in my hair this morning whilce combing with nit comb and I am still itching. I have also wrapped our matresses in vinyl cases, put all our pillows in treash bags and am running all bedding through the dryer and vacuuming the carpets every single morning. I am out of patience. I really, really don't want to shave my hair off but I am beginning to think I have no other choice. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Blessings and thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Namaste,

Michelle

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#2 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Oh my! Have you called your doc or maybe a NP? We havn't been hit with lice (yet) so I cannot offer anything but big to you and your family!!!!!!!

I don't think you will have to shave your hair- there HAS to be a way- even if its all the chemcials and stuff. I would imagine a dermotologist might be able to prescribe something. I know when I was a kid and had lice we had to get a rx.
#3 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM

http://nuvoforheadlice.com/

I came across this one time and it sounds interesting. You really have to be diligent in repeating your lice treatments as instructed, otherwise they just come right back.
Good luck!
#4 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Launie for the info, I went and bought the Cetaphil and will try this tonight.
Bburnie, I have contacted our dr who offered to write an rx, but I have migraines and am chemically sensitive and my 5 year old has autism. Lindane has been know to cause neurological difficulties, even Nix and Rid are now being linked to seizures and childhood luekamia ( didn't know this til after I used it ), so I am trying hard to stay away from pesticides.

Namaste,

Michelle

#5 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 PM

If you don't mind red hair, you might try henna.

www.hennaforhair.com
#6 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 PM

ugh- I wasn't aware that those meds had been linked to such aweful things! And of course if your chemcially sensative to begin with you'd want to avoid them.

Keep us posted!

Beth
#7 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 09:54 PM

I've had an electronic lice comb for 8 years, and it worked wonders. I even sent it to daycare. It's called the RobiComb (I think), and it puts off this high frequency sound while it's on, and if it becomes silent, it means a bug or egg is caught and dead. I still have it, just in case, but haven't needed it. When I was treating the house, I used it every day for 2 weeks, in case an egg was left behind, so it would catch any missed hatchlings. I got it at a pharmacy, and haven't needed a new one, but I'm sure you can find one at a local pharm. Back then, it cost me under $30, and it more than paid for itself on 2 kids, myself, and daycare kids where my kids went. I did the natural olive oil, mayo, eo's, hair coloring (me only), you name it. The comb worked, as the chemicals didn't, for the same reason (the nasty invaders become immune).
#8 of 36 Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Jean-na, the comb I bought was the robi-comb. I used it several times on both kids and always found live lice crawling around on their heads afterwards. I am glad it worked for you though.
Prarie child, using henna has crossed my mind, if the cetaphil doesn't work I may try that. I have used henna in the past to color my hair and I know how goopy it is so I figured it may work.
Beth, don't feel bad, I didn't know these things until AFTER I realized I had super resilient lice and started doing research. Some groups are even saying that Lindane should be pulled from the market, but as well all know, drugs are usually only pulled when multiple deaths occur, sad but true.
As for the cetaphil, I don't want to jinx myself but I think we may have a winner. The lice did NOT like it at all when I put it on my hair. I could immediately feel them starting to wriggle around, I am assuming because they couldn't breathe, got two of them out just by combing the cetaphil out too. The only issue is that it is time consuming to blow dry your hair when you still have a bunch of cetaphil in it, you can only comb out so much, but if it works in the end it will be well worth it.
I think what I am dealing with is just nymphs at this point, which is good because that means no new adult lice and no new nits. Keep your fingers crossed everyone. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namaste,

Michelle

#9 of 36 Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 AM

Oh michelle! When I read you could FEEL them crawling around....omg....I would die!

Just thinking about it makes me itch!!!! You poor thing!!!
#10 of 36 Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM

My kids got lice last month and I did a Nix treatment too. Then I did the Nuvo method with Cetaphil. It seems to have done the trick for us. I just saw something about how blow drying can kill some lice and lice eggs so I don't know if it was the cetaphil smothering them or the long blow drying time it takes to dry the cetaphil on but really, who cares as long as they're gone right?? Be sure to do it 3 times even if you're not seeing any lice anymore.

Good luck. I know what a complete pain this lice stuff is!
#11 of 36 Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Tea tree oil mixed into your normal shampoo
#12 of 36 Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 PM

For me, the only thing that worked was physically removing the lice & nits from my head with a metal lice comb. I found the comb at my local grocery store, but I would expect pharmacies to carry them, too. Metal is key. The plastic ones had tines that were too far apart (or if they were close together, they wore down to increase the gap quickly). I had a cup or bowl of water that I would flick all the lice into after each stroke with the comb.

Rosemary is supposed to repel the lice. Lots of herbal shampoos contain it, because it's supposed to be good for hair anyway. TTO is also a repellent, though less common in shampoos.

My hair was long enough to sit on. I would wash my hair, wait until it was dry, then brush and comb it to remove all the knots (even the tiny ones) before using the lice comb. The first couple of days, the lice comb did really hurt. It felt like it was finding knots that even the regular comb hadn't removed. After that, it went much easier. Using the lice comb worked when none of the shampoos I tried did.

Remember that wet hair is also easily breakable hair. If you're trying to comb through wet hair, you should use copious quantities of conditioner!

I think the reason they don't recommend TTO for lice extermination is that you have to use it pretty much undiluted for that. You can, however, use TTO (or rosemary) shampoos as a preventative, because they make your head less appealing to the critters.

My kids' pediatrician recommended a recipe of oil and vinegar in the hair, shower cap, and leave on for a couple of hours to drown the lice. This didn't work at all. The commercial pesticide shampoos and herbal shampoos did not work either. The only thing that worked for me was manual removal with a metal lice comb.

http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/..._head_lice.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/1/head_lice.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2003/jun/21/head_lice.htm

Also, DH saw something on the news recently about dry air being deadly to lice. A warm blowdrier might work well if used many days in a row.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#13 of 36 Old 11-24-2006, 11:18 PM

I don't know if it would work for lice or not, but remembered when I saw the Lindane mentioned. My kids had scabies a few years ago (still don't know how they got it) the dr gave us Lindane for my dd, but said my ds was too young, so I did some reaserch and found out about Elimite cream. It's much safer, although still chemical stuff. If you get desperate it might work.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#14 of 36 Old 11-24-2006, 11:20 PM

I've found this website helpful before, there are several pages about headlice. Here's one about resistant head lice. Just search the website for a few more pages. http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...=detail&ref=98

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#15 of 36 Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM

We have never used chemicals just a metal comb... and combed and combed!

One head lice tip is that the little varmints lay their eggs at night so if you can comb in the afternoon/evening and get as many off as you can then you can reduce the number of them merrily laying eggs as you sleep.
#16 of 36 Old 11-28-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for all your responses,
I was actually using a metal flea comb ( for dogs) and in the end it worked well. Somewhere between the cetaphil and blowdrying and vaseline and scrubbing and combing we finally got rid of it. I have heard that the licemeister comb works quite well too.
Seren,
thanks for your help. I have seen that article by dr. greene too. It's scary how all the bugs on our planet, bacterial and otherwise, are becoming resistant. sooner or later someone is going to bring back the DDT and really cause problems.In the meantime, here is hoping we all stay lice free.

Namaste,

Michelle

#17 of 36 Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Thanks for yhis thread-We have lice here now. I have really long hair too-my wnderful teenager has volunteered to pick nits for me
We will let you know what happens-going try the cetaphil treatment.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#18 of 36 Old 11-29-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

So sorry you guys have to suffer through this too. Good luck!!!!

Namaste,

Michelle

#19 of 36 Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM

I just saw this while doing an unrelated search, so I know this advice is a little late in coming, but maybe it will help someone else....

My dd had head lice years ago when it was going around her daycare (DH was in school and I was working full time) and I tried the commercial stuff and it didn't work, so I did a little bit of research on alternative treatments. Lots of the "natural" treatments that were being sold at the time were basically essential oils in an alcohol base. I was actually working as an entomologist at the time (bug stuff) and figured that well, we used alcohol to kill and preserve insect specimens, so it should be what did the killing with these remedies.

Anyway, I went to evil Walmart and got one of those supersized jugs of the alcohol based hand sanitizer - the gel alcohol stuff. Put that in your hair and cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap and leave for 30 mins to 1 hour. Rinse out and be sure to use a conditioner afterwards, because it does dry the hair! But the alcohol basically pickles the adults, larvae and eggs. I would repeat after a week or two just to be safe, but it worked like a charm for us!
#20 of 36 Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Didn't know Cetaphil could help clear up lice! I haven't had the lice issue, thank god, but there was a scare when I was 12.

I love the Cetaphil gentle cleanser (it's the kind that doesn't foam much and can be used as a lotion). If you have any left, mix some with some baking soda and few drops of tea tree oil and wash your face with it. It's invigorating! It's like you have a cool breeze on your face!
#21 of 36 Old 01-02-2007, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Of all the things I tried the two things that worked the best were Cetaphil and Vaseline for me. In the end I did end up cutting quite a bit of hair off. Didn't have to shave my head but I hacked off several inches but it was worth it. The vaseline is unbelievably hard to get out, i will warn you now, but it worked, and the Cetaphil worked pretty good too. the trick to Cetaphil is you have to put A TON of it on the hair, 4 oz for short hair, 8 oz or more for medium to long hair. Saturate, very,very thoroughly. Hope that helps.

Namaste,

Michelle

#22 of 36 Old 01-02-2007, 05:53 AM

I have used Dippity Do on kids with success. Slather it on thickly everywhere. Wrap with saran wrap and leav on for24 hours.
#23 of 36 Old 01-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Hmm. I found this post doing a search. Cetaphil sounds promising. The pharmacist at the drugstore yesterday scared me though. She said if the piojos get really bad I might have to have my house exterminated. Anyone ever have to do that? I am scared. I have heard of people battling these bugs for over 2 years. Dont know how they dont lose thier minds.
#24 of 36 Old 01-06-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Of all the research I have done on lice, I have never , ever heard of someone having to exterminate their house over it. If you have a really resistant case of head lice, then i suggest you buy some vinyl zippered mattress and pillow covers, that way the lice that may be inside are trapped and can't get out and die, and new lice can not infest these objects. as for sofas and lazy boys, I sprayed diluted vinegar with tea tree oil on them, let it dry and then vaccummed. The things you have to be diligent about are putting all sheets and bedding in the dryer, ditto with outerwear and coats, every single day. Don't reuse towels or clothing, new ones every single day, and you MUST pick nits out of the hair. That is not optional, it sucks but you have to do it or you will never get rid of the lice, ever. All eggs have to go. I think people that are battling lice for years are not doing the things I mentioned are not diligent about getting the nits out their hair. HTH.

Namaste,

Michelle

#25 of 36 Old 01-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok, so if anyone is around and want to talk LICE some more....please help me! The school called today and said my dd has nits to come get her, we are in the process of using the LICEFREE natural remedy the school gave us, which is nice since $$$ is scarce right now. My ? is do we need to treat the whole house with the stuff? I plan to wash and hot dry all the bedding and coats, etc, and am going to be on nit and lice patrol big time tonite when everyone is home, I guess if I see the nits I can just pull them out and rinse them down the drain. The school automatically gives 2 days of excused abcenses, another ? is that tonite this particular dd was going to start a 3 day dance camp that she is totally and completely crazed about doing, do you think after the treatment we are doing now and the combing out she would be good to go. I had lice like crazy, lots of live bugs years ago when I returned from a service trip to work with impoverished villages in Mexico, dd has NO crawling bugs at all just nits. Thanks for the moral support!
#26 of 36 Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Do you think we need a sticky thread about lice treatments? There have been several threads on it.
#27 of 36 Old 01-19-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurnur View Post
ok, so if anyone is around and want to talk LICE some more....please help me! The school called today and said my dd has nits to come get her, we are in the process of using the LICEFREE natural remedy the school gave us, which is nice since $$$ is scarce right now. My ? is do we need to treat the whole house with the stuff? I plan to wash and hot dry all the bedding and coats, etc, and am going to be on nit and lice patrol big time tonite when everyone is home, I guess if I see the nits I can just pull them out and rinse them down the drain. The school automatically gives 2 days of excused abcenses, another ? is that tonite this particular dd was going to start a 3 day dance camp that she is totally and completely crazed about doing, do you think after the treatment we are doing now and the combing out she would be good to go. I had lice like crazy, lots of live bugs years ago when I returned from a service trip to work with impoverished villages in Mexico, dd has NO crawling bugs at all just nits. Thanks for the moral support!
Your DD should be OK to go to camp. Do the treatment anyways just to make sure there aren't any live lice that weren't spotted and then do the nits. Nits don't hatch for 7-10 days anyway and then they are in the nymph stage for another week which means they have to stay close to the head or they will die. The odds of her transmitting lice to anyone at this point, as long as you are certain there are no live lice, is next to nil.
As for treating your house, you can spray and vacuum the furniture but where you really need to concentrate is the bedding and clothes. Vacuum once and that should be enough.

Namaste,

Michelle

#28 of 36 Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 AM

Sorry I found this thread so late in coming. Several years ago, I dated a guy whose daughter brought home head lice every weekend from visiting her mothers. After trying everything we could buy/think of, we tried baby oil. As soon as she walked in the door, we stripped her clothing (straight to the washer), sent her to the tub. When she got out, we soaked her hair (root to end) in baby oil, wrapped it in a towel, and sent her to bed. Her pillow was wrapped in plastic with the pillowcase over it (which we could take off and wash the next am). In the morning, she got up, and we went through the long process of combing out all the dead lice and the eggs. As I've heard it, the baby oil suffocates the lice, and it makes the eggs slide right out (which is a blessing - she had long, thick, coarse hair). Yea, her hair was greasy, but it did the trick every time, and it's inexpensive. My Dss (11) brought head lice home from school a few months ago, and we did this treatment on him, and it worked wonders.
#29 of 36 Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 AM

We live in a headlice mecca....and our family gets them regularily. I am now an expert. Like many of you my head is itching as I type just at the thought of them!!! Oddly enough my husband NEVER gets them...and he bedshares with us so, you can't blame bedsharing!!!
I've tried all the treatments, and yes, sadly, none are 100 %effective. I agree with UlrikeDG and others on that one.
One of my very "green" friends recorded how many she picked out of her child's hair on a little chart (would make a great school science fair project I thought)....the first day she got 100 or so, next day, 20, next day....until down to single figures. Other friends use a combination of chemicals and picking....but the picking out is almost essential as if one or two of the little blighters survive you are on again!
I also have one friend who adores "nit-picking"....some people do, apparently, (like gnutter's teeanger?) and she is always happy to come over and help out.
#30 of 36 Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM

After 2 Nix chemical treatments failed to rid dd of lice we tried the cetaphil method described on the Nuvo site (http://nuvoforheadlice.com/). It worked! We haven't seen anything new since the first treatement. We did the second and third treatment the way they describe just to be safe. The third treatment was last night and so far she's clean!

Mom to (5) (9)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page