I shave my legs but not under my arms 6 2.37%
I shave everything 155 61.26%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so close to giving up shaving it isn't even funny. I hardly have time and it seems silly. That and I'm always too cold in the winter I never wear revealing clothing, so no one would even know...well, except DH but he wouldn't mind. I've heard European women don't shave. Why does society insist that women be totally hairless? Well I'm sick of it!!!!! *throwing away razor*
#2 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 AM

I don't shave anything.
#3 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 AM

I literally only shave my legs, maybe twice a year...my pits, only in the summer.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#4 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 AM

i shave twice a month or so
#5 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:00 AM

shave? nope.
#6 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 AM

I don't shave anything. I quit about 10 years ago.
#7 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:03 AM

I don't really shave. My legs, it has to be a special occaisson, like special. And now that I am somewhere where it gets cold, I am starting to wonder if I should ever bother. It has gotten very thin since I have been wearing lots of pants and socks. Underarms, well, I do when I am feeling self conscious. It does start to bother me after awhile, but I am trying to make it through the winter to see if by spring it still bothers me. You need to have the occcaisonal choice up there.
#8 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:06 AM

Not really a good option for me on the poll...

I shave irregularly. I tend to shave about once a week or less for my legs (I usually just wear jeans, but if I'm going to wear a short skirt or shorts, I will shave.)

My armpits are only shaved when I feel like it's time. Sometimes that's once every couple weeks, or maybe even more frequent, and sometimes it's as long as 3 months or so. Sometimes I think about stopping altogether with the armpits, since I don't ever wear strappy tops that would show them off, but I don't really love having hair there...it's more that I just don't like the actual shaving part that keeps me hairy, lol.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#9 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 AM

Legs - every couple days, pits - once a week or so.
Wax upper lip - every month or so. :
Bikini wax - last week, then a few months before that, not sure when I'll do it again, but it had some beneficial effects so maybe soon.
#10 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 AM

I don't shave, I wax. Only have to do it about once a month.

I loathe shaving. If I couldn''t wax, I would just go hairy.
#11 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 AM

I think the results of this thread are really funny. We are really an all or nothing crowd I guess. We either shave everything or nothing. I used to shave nothing and then I switched to everything.
#12 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 AM

I do shave - pits, legs, and bikini. I love how clothing, sheets, etc. feel against my shaved legs. Even if it's cotton it just feels like silk. Plus, I live in CA ... and it feels good to not have too much hair. Cooler, etc.

However, when I lived upstate NY, I didn't shave in the winter. Because, I figured, it was warmer with hair. And I wore 10 layers out everywhere. So, it didn't matter much.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#13 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Poot View Post
I've heard European women don't shave.
I lived in France for a short time, and I was the only hairy chic I knew! And I didn't hang with prissy types- I was at the olympic training center there, and all of the women were hard-core athletes... They all shaved their legs and pits in the locker room, but I only did if I thought I might be "seeing someone special" that night... :

Now, I shave my legs 2-3x/yr for special occasions, and my pits once every couple of months when it irritates me...

~Valarie~

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

#14 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 AM

I shave everything..*ducks*. I love the feeling of smooth skin everywhere, and there are some, um, *areas* where it being hairless enhances *things*..for me anyway. I have no problem with hairy chicks, though. It's how God made us. I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#15 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 02:32 AM

I loathe shaving, since I first started as a young teen. My pits NEVER heal, because of sensitive skin. Hair has always always made me itchy and irritated, so I started waxing years ago. I got sick of the cost, so went back to shaving legs and plucking pits, and just trimming hoohah w/ clippers. Remembered hating stubble legs, and tried the sandpaper deal that didn't work. Burned myself too many times to count on misc creams every time a new one came out, even up to Veet. Did the Epilady back in the later teens, thinking I'd found the answer, and it was made by a DIVORCED BROKE MAN, just like the speculum they use to do our exams (LOL).
Well, back in May, I decided that things in the hair ripper-outers have probably evolved in 18 years, since the Epilady was used on my legs. I bought an Emjoi epilator, and use it for pits, legs, and hoohah. LOVE it, and if it breaks down, I'm buying another one. LOOOOOVE it. 13 year old daughter is not allowed to shave, and hair irritates her, so I got her one as well, and she loves it. I used to wax her pits, but she epils them now. We love our ripper-outers!!!!
I don't like hair, and tried to let it grow out (and it was looooong), but it was so itchy and irritating to me.
So, NEVER shaving again in my life, and would marry the WOMAN made epilator I now use (LOL).
#16 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 AM

Most of the time I don't shave anything. However, sometimes when I am pg I feel somewhat "girly" and will ask DH to shave my legs when I take a bath. I rarely if ever shave my pits.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#17 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 02:49 AM

haven't shaved in 8 years. do trim the hair under my arms a few times a year (more comfortable than shaving & having to feel it all stubbly. yuck).
#18 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 AM
DBZ

I shave my pits all the time and occasionally shave my legs.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#19 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 03:11 AM

If I didn't live in Southren Cali where it's still hot as heck I would probably not shave very often. As it is right now, I shave my legs about once a week because I'm huge and it sucks to bend down that much. I shave my pits everyday because I'm still in a tank top always. I haven't shaved the bikini area in months. Can't see it anyway.
#20 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 04:12 AM

There were years when I shaved regularly. There were years when I never shaved. Now, If I'm going to show my legs or pits, I do shave. Where I work, that's just the way it is.
#21 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 AM

I only shave in July and August, but when I do I shave everything.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#22 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 PM

I shave everything, every time I bathe. I can't stand the "5 o'clock shadow" feeling, so If I get a shower, I will always shave, no matter what. Oh, BTW, I realized too late, that if you shave "down there" there is no going back The feeling of it growing back is herrendous, so I back to the bathroom, and shave it all off. My mom has actually asked me if I had crabs or something because of the itch. So I am a slave to my razor Oh well, DH likes it down there, shaved, and I kinda do too I just wish it wasn't so much work to keep it up. When AF comes to visit it sure is a whole lot less messier. I wish I had the resolve to not shave, but I guess it just isn't for me:

Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#23 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:53 PM

I shave the pits once or twice a week, all year round. I cannot stand the hairy feeling in there. The legs get shaved once or twice a week in the summer, once a month or so in the winter.
#24 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 PM

I quit shaving after the first weekend spent at dh's (then bf's) almost 7 y/ago. I had shaved, legs were smooth as butter, drove 3 hrs to bf's and by the time we made it in the sack - I was stubbly. I bitched about it (b/c I didn't want him to think I left my legs like that on purpose) and he said 'hey you could quit shaving and not worry about it'. So I did I have had many women tell me 'oh I would quit too if my hair was as light as yours', but it wasn't when I started and I'm a regular old brown haired girl.
#25 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how funny i just foun dthis lol. Dh PAID me last week to shave my legs . He gave me $20 for it. I had not shaved in almost 2 months, well my legs anyway. I shave my pits almost every day
#26 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:09 PM

I shave and wax, everything: pits, legs, bikini area. I like things smooth.

I get my eyebrows waxed every two weeks.
#27 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM

Cant stand the feeling of hair under clothes :

So I shave
#28 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
I shave everything..*ducks*. I love the feeling of smooth skin everywhere, and there are some, um, *areas* where it being hairless enhances *things*..for me anyway. I have no problem with hairy chicks, though. It's how God made us. I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Thats me too!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#29 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM

I shave a lot less in the winter. I don't shave my legs very often because the hair is blonde and not very noticable. Plus, it's irritating to my eczema. I shave my underarms about every three days in the summer. I never shave down below because only my husband sees it. I don't even like to trim it becuase the stubbles hurt. If it wasn't culturally unacceptable, I would never shave.
#30 of 82 Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 PM

Years ago I quit shaving for maybe 2-3 yrs. It felt great to just give it up. I don't care for shaving. The nicks. The stubble. It was lovely to do away with it and never worry about it. I liked to feel the breeze ruffle the little hairs on my legs. And most of all, it really annoyed me that our culture is so insistant that women be hairless. So it was liberating to not give in to that.

But that insistance finally got to me. I gave in and started shaving again once we moved to a small midwestern town. It was incredible how alienating the mere fact of hairy legs/pits could be to people. I hate to admit this. Like I totally caved on a principle or something. But I also realized that it was making *me* feel really uncomfortable and that I could stick to this ideal and feel really awkward or just give in. It's not like shaving is the worst thing in the world. Ykwim? Or maybe I'm just a wimp. You can form your own opinion.

That was a good 10 yrs ago or so. I was in college on a pretty progressive campus and it seemed like there were a fair number of women who didn't shave. Now, I live in the rural midwest and women apologize for not shaving on a daily basis. Or at least it seems that way. It also seems like people are getting more and more into hair removal of all types. Nobody that I knew waxed back when. And now people wax all sorts of body parts. Makes me shudder to think of ripping the hair out of my more sensitive regions, iykwim.

So yeah, I shave. Legs from the knee down. And only once every week or two. Underarms every couple of days, just a quick once over in the shower. I did notice back when I was not shaving my underarms that I had more problems with body odor if I was not careful. And I also had to choose deodorants more carefully b/c some kinds would cake up into icky white good. Eeew! I always wished I had the really pretty soft fluffy leg hair that was evenly distributed over the lower legs. Instead, my hair was kindof coarse and straight and it was mostly on the lower front shins and barely any near the knees or around the calves. I guess that's a normal hair distribution for a woman, but I felt kinda weird about it. I wanted soft, even fuzz. Funny how even when I was bucking conformity by not shaving, I still wanted my leg hair to conform to a certain ideal...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page