How to make oatmeal bath? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-16-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any recipes for how to make a safe-for-infant oatmeal bath for dry skin?

I have been buying Aveeno oatmeal bath but wondering if I can just do it myself with more natural ingredients (and cheaper!)?

TIA!
#2 of 24 Old 11-16-2006, 06:54 PM

I was looking this up today as my 4yo has the cp.

Take a bunch of oatmeal and grind it up in the blender. Then take several(I think it said 2) tbsp's and put it in a sachet or dishcloth and tie it to the tap so when the water is running it is going through the oatmeal "bag".
#3 of 24 Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM

You can put the oat flakes or flour in a old nylon hose or knee-high and that should work too. Just toss it in the bath water and swish it around. Aveeno makes super fine particles too - they're in paper packets in the baby products aisle.
#4 of 24 Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I was looking this up today as my 4yo has the cp.

Take a bunch of oatmeal and grind it up in the blender. Then take several(I think it said 2) tbsp's and put it in a sachet or dishcloth and tie it to the tap so when the water is running it is going through the oatmeal "bag".
I make mine with this but I also add powdered milk...
#5 of 24 Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 AM

I grind up my oats and add any combination of lavender, chammomile, calendula, or peppermint leaves to the mixture. Then we put a scoop in a small cloth bag and "soap up" directly with the bag...of course when taking a bath the water gets that yummy oat milk all in it, too This is all DS and I bathe with. Looove it!

Brightest Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving!
Heidi
#6 of 24 Old 11-17-2006, 11:23 PM

I just put rolled oats in an old peice of pantyhose. the more you squish water through it, the better it gets. that oat juice is really soothing on the skin
#7 of 24 Old 11-18-2006, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That must be why we ended up with partially clogged drains, I didn't put my ground up oatmeal into any sort of bags.

I found that the food processer worked well to powderize good old Quaker Oats.

"What will you do once you know?"
#8 of 24 Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU to all who replied- that's a big help!

We're on a septic so I appreciate the nylon trick- and a great way to resuse them!
#9 of 24 Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Make sure you use rolled oats and not quick oats.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#10 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 12:20 PM

I would like to give some oatmeal bath as a gift - any ideas on how to spruce it up a little? I need a very inexpensice gift and this sounded like a great idea...

I was thinking of doing the ground oatmeal, powdered milk and a few drops of EO's while grinding the oats. Any other ideas?

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#11 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 PM

You could add some herbs or flowers, you would just need to put it in a little bag. You can find little organza ones pretty easily.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM

What stores would carry those bags - do you have any idea? I am SOOOO new to all of this!:

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#13 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM

any crafting store even the yucky wal-mart here has them in their crafting section!
#14 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 PM

Thank you! I'll go by Michaels and pick some up!

#15 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 PM

I bought 144 sachet bags on ebay for something like $7 plus shipping. They were the large ones but I'm sure you can find smaller ones too.

I love this idea! I'm going to get some powdered milk and make some oatmeal/lavender bath too!
#16 of 24 Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 PM

I was doing Oatmeal baths awhile back and I just put a cup of oatmeal in a sock, set it on the tap so the water ran through it, let it sit in the tub for 10 mins before I got in and kept squeezing it and swishing it. When I was in the tub a ketp squeezing it and rubbing the slim(it gets quite slimy that's the good stuff )on my skin.
#17 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 AM

I bought some powdered milk tonight and have lavender & chamomile (shipped on Monday) on the way already.
I can't wait to have some mommy time in a yummy bath!
I'm going to try packaging some up in the sachets and hope they look pretty enough for gifts!
#18 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 PM

Whenver our skin gets dry or someone has a rash (poison ivy, mosquito bites, etc...) I just throw a cup of oats - not ground up - into a tube suck, tie the end of it, and float it in the bath. The kids like to play with it, and the more they sqeeze it, the more yummy oatmeal "milk" comes out.

(That reminds me - when I was like 12, I was home alone, & had a BAD case of poison ivy & called my mom at work to ask her what to do. She told me to to the oatmeal/sock thing, but we didn't have any oats, so I used grits. My family still laughs about that to this day. )

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#19 of 24 Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 PM

What's the difference in rolled oats and quick oats and is it important that you don't use quick oats? It's all I've got right now and my son has exzema so bad that he can't take a bath with soap at all.
#20 of 24 Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 PM

We did the oatmeal during treating CP as well. Good stuff. It's been so long since I've taken a nice relaxing bath, so I haven't actually tried it on myself.

What difference does he added powdered milk make? I might make some of these up for an expecting friend. Good ideas!
#21 of 24 Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie012690 View Post
What's the difference in rolled oats and quick oats and is it important that you don't use quick oats? It's all I've got right now and my son has exzema so bad that he can't take a bath with soap at all.
I've used quick oats. They just don't grind up as finely.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#22 of 24 Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM

can i just throw the whole oats in a tea ball and throw it in the bath?
#23 of 24 Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisflame View Post
I grind up my oats and add any combination of lavender, chammomile, calendula, or peppermint leaves to the mixture. Then we put a scoop in a small cloth bag and "soap up" directly with the bag...of course when taking a bath the water gets that yummy oat milk all in it, too This is all DS and I bathe with. Looove it!

Brightest Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving!
Heidi
Where do you find the leaves mentioned to grind up? I have oatmeal and powdered milk but would love to make some gifts as well as treat our dry skin too
#24 of 24 Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie012690 View Post
In this case, nothing. Quick Oats have already been "processed" somewhat, meaning they've gone thru the food processor already and are already "broken" into smaller pieces.

I take normal quaker oats and food processor them a bit to make quick oats that I can make in the microwave.

However, for this application, you can still blend them a bit more in the food processors to break up into even smaller bits. The more you process them the more water can get into them, thus the more benfit you can get from them in the bath. No need to take it to an oat flour consistancy thou.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page