Shampoo-free? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 12-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlintxmomma View Post
wow this is the first time ive ever heard of going shampoo-free...it sounds awesome. i would love to try it but my concern is that my hair tangles severely. im naturally seriously greasy with long fine straight hair but it tangles to bad it almot makes me cry. would going poo-free help that or make it worse? what do you recommend for this problem?
My 4yr old DD has curly, snarly hair and this works wonders for her hair! There are way less tangles than when we use heavy conditioners.
#32 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM

I just found this thread! Im so interested in trying this out. Spastica, I copy & pasted your info & emailed it to myself Can just plain vinegar be used instead of ACV?

Looking forward to no-pooing!
#33 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Some blondes prefer white vinegar or lemon juice, but ACV smells better than white vinegar and has some good benefits on skin/scalp. Also, ACV is surely made of apples, whereas some white vinegars are made with other products (corn is ok, petroleum is not). Other people have tried other vinegars, like fruit vinegars and balsamic!
#34 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 01:43 AM

Oh, and don't forget to look at the Curly Girl forum and the Unshampoo sticky note in this forum. No-poo sounds straight forward enough, but there's an art, science, and a certain patience quality and mental stability that is associated with it
#35 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 AM

I'm a lemon juice user!
#36 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 04:05 PM

I tried no-pooing a little over two years ago and stuck with it for about 2 or 3 months. I don't think I had adequate information or education on the matter at that time, though, and that is what ultimately deterred me.

I used a product called Terressentials Fragrance-free Pure Earth Hair Wash and it was a very difficult product for my hair. While I think it would work beautifully for someone with shorter and thinner hair, my hair is quite long and very, very thick.

These days I just shampoo like I used to... what ever is on sale and once every 2-4 days. I would like to re-visit the no-poo lifestyle but have some hesitation. I think I will begin by visiting the excellent resources provided here

Sarah and Steven 8/24/02, Little Miss L 7/15/05, and Mister E Man 2/10/07.
#37 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 04:12 PM

Shampooing every 2-4 days isn't bad at all, and if that works, great. No poo remedies hair issues for people that use shampoo and they have to use it everyday or even 2x a day. It solves dandruff issues and helps curly hair not frizz so much. The rest of it is for personal reasons, like environmental, chemical, and cost-effectiveness.
#38 of 44 Old 12-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Some blondes prefer white vinegar or lemon juice
Oh, you don't have to be blond use lemon juice I like the smell, and I found it might add to some highlights.
#39 of 44 Old 12-07-2006, 04:07 PM

another question...i started today on weaning out the shampoo by using it with baking soda...then i rinsed with acv and water mix. i seriously thought i would be a huge tangled mess when i got out of the shower because i didnt use conditioner....well it wasnt. my hair is extremely soft. i used a little bit of lavender water spray to tame it a bit too. now my question...i see that you can use conditioner and bs to cleanse...so im assuming its safe to continue using conditioner? do i NEED to keep using it while im still weaning out the shampoo, or do i need to wait a while before i begin using it again? or do i not need it at all ever again? do i need to use the conditioner WITH the acv or use the acv in place of it? im not quite understanding the whole beginning steps i guess...

after seeing my hair today, my mom wants to do this too...WOOOHOOO my first convert!

eta...what brand of conditioner is recommended if i were to use it?
#40 of 44 Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM

The conditioner works well for people with thick hair, coarse hair, fragile/dry, or curly hair. Some people can do okay with baking soda and ACV only if they have normal or straight hair, or basically hair that doesn't require much moisture. Some people like baking soda and conditioner because it's easier to work with in hair than just baking soda and water.

If you want to know what conditioners to use, check this forum out:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...=1#post5358746

The ones that are good don't have non-soluble silicones in it, i.e. silicones that don't come out unless you shampoo with a detergent shampoo. Water-rinseable silicones are okay, so long as you know which ones they are. There are links in the thread I gave you to list which '-cones' are okay and which aren't.

As for if you need conditioner or not, your hair will tell you. The only thing I recommend is that if you have a conditioner like Garnier or Pantene, you need to toss it and get another conditioner while you're weaning off shampoo or else you're just putting back in all the silicones you're trying to get out with the shampoo and baking soda combo.
#41 of 44 Old 12-07-2006, 04:52 PM

well i used the fructis shampoo with bs....so do i need to go buy a different shampoo to wean myself off of shampoo with.... ? or can i just stop shampoo and use cond with bs to start off? i have really long dry straight overcolortreated hair.
#42 of 44 Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM

Considering you're a Garnier fan, you probably still some shampoo to get rid of the silicones or else no-poo won't work for you.

I'm not sure if the shampoos have silicones - my hunch is that silicones don't clean hair, so it's in the conditioners only. What type of shampoo is it? I can look up the ingredients online and see if it has silicones.

You can also just swipe some shampoo from somebody else in the house, or ransack your house for any shampoo samples (I know you've taken a few hotel samples, c'mon!).

BTW...

Didja know that the silicones that make your hair look healthy and shiny may actually make your hair more dry in the long run? Some silicones actually keep water and moisture from getting to the hair shaft, so you are left with really dry hair, and it may be damaged or brittle eventually.

I really yucky thing that happens if you have silicones in your hair and you're finally clarifying it out is that your hair gets gummy temporarily. All the silicones soften with the shampoo and baking soda and it's all gooey . After getting all the goop out, you will have nicely prepped your hair for no poo and have a clean slate, so to speak.
#43 of 44 Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 AM

i use the fructis for color treated hair. i can swipe some of my dads shampoo..he uses suave aloe and waterlily. if that one is better than consider it done. my hair was totally gummy yesterday..so do i need to just keep using shampoo with bs until its not gummy anymore? is that how i will know when to stop the shampoo?
you might check the other conditioner i have too...its the herbal essences hello hydration. so what are the ingredients you are looking for? id go check the labels myself but i dont know what is good or not. thanks for all the help. im really excited about this.

oh..i have a 17 month old son with bad hair and im wanting to un-poo him too but im concerned about getting the bs or acv in his eyes...is there anything recommended for that? or something different i should be using. just curious.
#44 of 44 Old 12-08-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlintxmomma View Post
oh..i have a 17 month old son with bad hair and im wanting to un-poo him too but im concerned about getting the bs or acv in his eyes...is there anything recommended for that? or something different i should be using. just curious.
I no-poo ds, too but I did from the beginning. Really at this point, I don't use anything in his hair but water. He's 13 mos and gets *really* dirty (though I sure that will only get worse the older he gets! ). I would think that you can probably do something similar to what you would do for prepping your own hair/scalp for no-poo then no-poo with just water. Or you could use even less bs and more diluted acv. I've gotten bs mixed with water in my eyes and I've never noticed it to sting, but I have LOT'S of folks says it has stung them. so maybe I'm just not sensitive to it! Check out this thread

hth!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page