Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi!

Several of us are, or at least are infrequent commercial shampoo users. There's a 'no-poo' phenomenon that you can research. Just check the Search button on MDC on this forum.

You can also check the MDC Tribe section "Curly Girls".

Internet research should also help -- you will find accurate results as well as some strange ones related to bowel movements

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 PM

Old 11-16-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Old 11-18-2006, 01:48 AM

Hey! I'm shampoo free Loooove it. I just rinse with diluted acv once a week right now. I can't beat it! DS is poo free, too, and new baby will be from the get go.

Brightest Blessings!
Heidi
Old 11-18-2006, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Old 11-18-2006, 02:01 AM

I've been no-pooing/un-shampooing for almost 2 weeks now. BS wash with lime or lemon juice rinse (tried ACV once - ew the stench, how in the world do you guys keep your hair from steeenking of vinegar? Please explain!). My hairdresser girl gave me an inspection this week, says my hair is very healthy. Told me to watch for dandruff, and to try soaking the ends in avocado every month or so to keep them moisturized.

BTW, I use Google's search feature to search MDC. It works great. Just type:
site:www.mothering.com "phrase you're looking for"
into the search box.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Old 11-18-2006, 08:58 AM

I was on and off the wagon several times, but this last one I've lasted about 7 months or so (duration of this pregnancy or thereabouts). And my hair looks fantastic! Not to mention a heckuva lot cheaper than shampoo!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 AM

I've been shampoo free for less then a week but I already have the proof needed that the shampoo was causing the worst of the psoriasis flare ups on my scalp. I've been itch free and I'm planning on doing this every few days to make sure that I stay itch free so that I that I can break myself of my itching habit (it's so bad that I have to stop myself from scratching my scalp now that there isn't any itching!) and Dh will be able to sleep at night. dh says that I can do this as long as my hair doesn't start "stinking" I guess that he heard that somewhere. :
I'm beating him to the punch and I'm adding a few drops of EO to the vingar rise that way I'm making sure that I smell how I want to.

Has anyone else had their hair air dry faster going no-poo or is this just my imagination?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:20 AM

Me too- about 2 months now....
Old 11-29-2006, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not but my kids are. Generally, I just let them stand under the water in the shower letting the water rinse their hair and then spray with a detangler to comb through. About once a week or so, I wash their hair with natural conditioner. They both have the most luscious hair!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 PM

I've got 2 months down on this no-pooing thing also. I love it!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 PM

What is ACV and what oils do you all use? Where do you buy them? I have not ventured into this area yet but should....

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:30 PM

I just hopped on the bandwagon today. I only wash my hair twice a week as it is. I used BS and lemon juice (my nose is very sensitive to smells and I don't thnk I can stand ACV). I didn't think to dilute the lemon juice and used it straight and I think it was too strong. Live and learn. I'll see how it goes when I wash again on Sunday. So far it feels pretty good (but then I can go without washing for a week and my hair will still be okay).
Old 11-30-2006, 03:24 AM

ACV= apple cider vinegar

I use lavender with the ACV, just a couple drops.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 AM

Thank you!

I'm totally ignorant on this subject, but what does your hair look/feel like? I had bone straight hair until I had children and now I have fuzz.

Do any of you use products on your hair? or straighten it?

Okay - so I need the basics.....

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 AM

There's a sticky on this forum (thread is here) that gives loads of start-up info for going no-poo/unshampoo. That's where I started to learn the ins and outs!

As far as what your hair looks/feels like ... I have long, straight-with-a-wave hair, thin hairs but a lot of them - so it appears to be thick. After unshampooing for almost a month, here are the changes I've noticed: Pretty much none. At least no negative changes. My hair is just as wavy.

I do think my hair air-dries faster now. And it does feel softer at times. Mostly the changes I notice is in the oilyness. Before, when I didn't wash for a couple days, I would get that creepy oily separated look, especially at my ears. Now I can go many days (I just washed today, 6 days after the last wash) with only rinses in between, and my hair just appears a little bit darker for the first 6 inches or so. Not oily, just darker.

My hair is to my waist, and I use:
- 1 very heaping Tablespoon of BS (in a little tupperware with a bit of water, shaken to make a thick paste) I rub/wash for about a minute, then let it sit for another couple minutes. Then rinse out with water.

- Then probably about the same amount of bottled, refrigerated lemon juice from concentrate (it can get expensive buying fresh lemons!), diluted a little bit. I pour this only on the part of my hair not on my head, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse with water.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 PM

(Spazzy DIES laughing)

ATDMom -- Oh my gosh - your dog pictures on your blog are so freakin' hilarious, I almost choked on my breakfast.

Since you're remodeling, chances are, the fumes, particle-board dust, and other chipping dust is bothering your dog. Have your poor dog in another area of the house where there is no remodeling going on. They also get dust on their paws and that can cause some allergic reactions in some. If it bugs you or your dog keeps having sneezing fits, buy some children's or baby Benadryl from the pharmacy and give your dog the recommended children's dosage. Benadryl may make your dog sleepy, but that may be a good thing if you're remodeling.

Also, just putting in the plug to people - I'm in the cabinetry business currently -- if you're looking for cabinetry for your kitchen (including islands), bath, garage, closets, living room/entertainment center - contact me!

I work for a company that oversees great companies like Cuisine Cabico (www.cabico.com) and Legacy (www.legacycabinetsllc.com). I can help you get in contact with a rep closest to your area.

Yay for pretty homes!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:20 PM

No-pooin' for 4+ months now and LOOOOVING it.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM

If your hair smells of ACV after its dry, your using too much ACV in your rinse mix. I use about 2 tsp to one cup of water. I put it in a recycled gatoraide tupe drinking bottle so I can squirt it on, rather then pour with a cup. I started our with the recommended 1 tbsp per cup and it was too much- so I went to 2 tsp instead....
Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 PM

wow this is the first time ive ever heard of going shampoo-free...it sounds awesome. i would love to try it but my concern is that my hair tangles severely. im naturally seriously greasy with long fine straight hair but it tangles to bad it almot makes me cry. would going poo-free help that or make it worse? what do you recommend for this problem?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Banned

I guess I split the difference. I don't use products labeled as shampoo. OTOH, water is not the only detergent I use on my head; most of the time I use bar soap because it's sooooo convenient. However, I also have available my own invention -- http://users.bestweb.net/~robgood/lather.html .

OT other OH, none of that counts for your research because I'm a man. ;-) If men had the long hair and women the short, would shampoo have been invented? I'm not sure. Also, being in New York City means there's very little "hardness" in the water to react with soap. Soap here, especially if you use one with lots of coconut content -- such as the cheap import I've been using lately from the UAE called Silk -- makes thicker lather than typical shampoo, even thicker than my invention.

Robert
Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlintxmomma View Post
wow this is the first time ive ever heard of going shampoo-free...it sounds awesome. i would love to try it but my concern is that my hair tangles severely. im naturally seriously greasy with long fine straight hair but it tangles to bad it almot makes me cry. would going poo-free help that or make it worse? what do you recommend for this problem?

My hair snarls so easily it's pitiful and I have found that this is okay. I do brush my hair before showering. And on days when it feels a little dry I use just a teensy tiny bit of jojoba oil on the ends and that makes all the tangles come out easily. I think the no poo may actually help your situation since the tangles could be from product left in your hair.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I found that the vinegar really helps detangeling the hair, just don't put it on your scalp when you have greasy hair. Also, if your hair tangles too much, I found, that mine is usually broken, split and unhealthy. I had it cut from waistlength to shoulder length and started using the baking soda and vinegar cleansing - my hair is just wonderful, and almost no tangeling. I brush it before I wash it, rub and massage my hair with BS, rinse it, sometimes add a bit of honey, and then just spray it with vinegar or lemon juice, rinse again with water. Done.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM

i know my hair is damaged...i color it religiously (i know...bad bad me ). i am about to have it cut and was thinking about starting after that. i am super greasy at the roots and dry as a bone at the ends. i see that some of you use conditioner with bs the rince with acv....would that be good to start with to help with the dryness? also...and im pretty sure i know the answer, but do any of you still color your hair? and does going no-poo strip the color out?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
i know my hair is damaged...i color it religiously (i know...bad bad me ). i am about to have it cut and was thinking about starting after that. i am super greasy at the roots and dry as a bone at the ends. i see that some of you use conditioner with bs the rince with acv....would that be good to start with to help with the dryness? also...and im pretty sure i know the answer, but do any of you still color your hair? and does going no-poo strip the color out?
I work in a salon (and grew up in one), and DO color my hair every 3 months or so. I only do a deposit-only color. No-pooing doesn't mess my color up, fade it out, or anything. My hair has been growing faster since no-pooing, for sure (random 3 inch greys coming out of the woods). I can't get my family to bs/acv, but they all agreed to bar shampoo (going to start making my own soap again, and I loooooove Zum goat's milk soap). Once you start no-pooing, dryness will be HISTORY. I shampoo w/ conditioner every other day or so, and spary lavender water in my hair almost every day.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilin View Post
I had it cut from waistlength to shoulder length and started using the baking soda and vinegar cleansing
How do you do that? Apply one, then the other, and let the mixture fizz on your head? Or alternate washes, one baking soda, the next vinegar? I wouldn't see the point of pre-mixing them.

Robert
Old 12-05-2006, 04:44 PM

Finally a MAN in our forum. :

I'm a tomboy at heart and I needed somebody to side with me on stuff

Anyway, you will find detailed instructions on how to no-poo in this thread, and special instructions on how to deal with curly or fine hair:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...=1#post5358746

You can do no-poo washing a few different ways:

(NOTE: with starting no poo, you need to prep your hair, as recommended by ME . You'll have better results and I won't have to come here and find somebody whining to me "Spazzzyyyy, no poo didn't work, I QUIT!" You will need a hair trim to get rid of split ends, damage,and overall ratty hair, and shampoo for 1-2 weeks with your regular shampoo and about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon baking soda to clarify your hair of old product, buildup, residue, and silicones from products like Pantene, Garnier, silicone shine gels, etc)

1) Some people do baking soda and water in a squirt bottle or old shampoo bottle and dump all over their scalp and hair. Cleanse. Rinse with plenty of water. Squirt ACV on hair from ears down. Rinse with plenty of water. As you get more advanced with no poo you can tweak the amount of baking soda and ACV and add other good stuff like honey or essential oils.

2) Some people prefer making baking soda into a paste with some water. Rest of the instructions apply.

3) The gentlest baking soda method, but not completely chemical free, is mixing baking soda with lightweight, silicone free conditioner and then cleaning your hair with that. Rinse, use ACV, and use some lightweight OR heavier conditioner on the bottom of your hair as needed. On non-baking soda days or if you want a light cleaning, or to keep your curls together, you can mix the lightweight conditioner with brown sugar (I use light brown sugar). You may or may not need ACV with the sugar method.

4) Shampoo or Natural Soap bar. Shampoo with bar. Rinse. Use ACV to get rid of residue. Use conditioner if needed. Rinse.

5) Apple cider vinegar ONLY cleansing. This works for some people, especially with curly or thin hair. You have to work your way up to this.

6) Conditioner only cleansing. Use lightweight silicone free conditioner. Use a huuuuge glob and firmly scrub hair and scalp with tips of fingers. You will notice some small creamy suds. Great for normal, dry or curly hair. You have to work your way up to this.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

User Tag List