Any reusable menstral cups like instead? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-23-2006, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love using a menstral cup instead of tampons. I have used instead cups in the past, but wanted a reusable cup so I bought the diva.

I've had mine for several months and just can't figure out how to get it to stay in after being on my feet for a while or laughing hard, etc. It's driving me nuts.

So, I just took it out and popped in my last instead cup and aaaaahhh. It's so much better for me.

Anyway, I wondering if there is a reusable instead-like menstral cup--one that sits up close to the cervix.
#2 of 19 Old 11-23-2006, 11:40 AM

a regular diaphragm would probably be more reusable than an instead. it's the same shape, th einstead is modeled after a diaphrgm. down side, you have to go to a hcp to get fitted for one and if your insurance doesn't cover it, it might be expensive
#3 of 19 Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Are you sure you have the right size? Maybe kegels would help?
#4 of 19 Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, I'm working on kegals, but in the mean time.....
#5 of 19 Old 11-23-2006, 11:55 PM

I was going to ask about the size too. Did you get the smaller size or larger? Are you able to spin the cup? If not, maybe you don't have a seal. Mine can move down but can't unseal and fall out (the seal is too strong).

There is also a yahoo group for cup users but I can't remember the name off of the top of my head (DivaMoonKeeper or something?). They might be able to provide some help. It's worth it if you can get it working right.

Also, some people say the Mooncup works when the Diva doesn't work for them because of a *slightly* different shape.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#6 of 19 Old 11-24-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. I guess I should clarify. It doesn't fall out, but it moves down to the point where the little stem pokes me. So I cut the stem, but it still seem to move down far enough where I can feel it and drives me crazy.

Now that I think about it, it's kind of funny thinking that it "falls out". I would really have a problem then.
#7 of 19 Old 11-24-2006, 04:13 PM

I always wore my Keeper (shaped like the Diva) a lot higher up than they recommended, and it worked just fine. I didn't like how it felt when it was lower down.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 19 Old 11-24-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcare View Post
Ok. I guess I should clarify. It doesn't fall out, but it moves down to the point where the little stem pokes me. So I cut the stem, but it still seem to move down far enough where I can feel it and drives me crazy.

Now that I think about it, it's kind of funny thinking that it "falls out". I would really have a problem then.

MIne has slipped postions on occasion ( like at the gym) but a few keegls usually reposition it

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#9 of 19 Old 11-24-2006, 10:37 PM

After using Insteads for 10 years, I made the switch to a real cup w/ DD after her 1st cycle. I have to wear my Diva up high. Make sure you have the rim of your cup past your vag wall (you should feel it go past the wall, where you hook your finger to remove your Instead currently), then give it a twist. Then, run your finger around to make sure it's open. If it's not, pinch the bottom of the cup. Once inserted, there is one more step I "developed" in my trial and error for insurance. It's the Diva Dance. Do a little knee bend w/ feet apart, and do wide hoola hoop circles in both directions. Your cup will usually find it's comfy spot when you do this, and shouldn't slip out. I've had 2 vag births, am over 30, and used the smaller Diva before mine arrived. I am a kegel freak, and have always been, but I think you just might be built like me, and it may not be up far enough. Some wear high, some low. If you're used to Insteads, you might find that you definitely want to make sure that rim of your Diva is past the vag wall. Let me know by pm if you need any other advice. I became a "pro" when helping my DD get hers to work!
#10 of 19 Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 AM

I use the Diva Cup and and find that sometimes it goes in perfectly, and I don't even know it's there. Then other times it seems that it doesn't "open" properly (after being folded to insert as per the instructions) so it doesn't get the "suction" that a PP mentioned and starts sliding down and is uncomfortable. I'm under 30 and am only now pregnant for the first time, so I've always used the smaller cup; but even still, I find that -- and this next part may be TMI -- the times that it opens easily is when I've had sex recently. If it's been a few days or more, it is like there's not enough room for it to open up. Sometimes with enough messing around I can get it to, but sometimes I just get too frustrated and give up for that cycle and use organic tampons.
#11 of 19 Old 11-25-2006, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Gosh, thanks so much for all of the advice.

Perhaps it is that I am wearing it too low to begin with. I think that in all of the stuff that I read before trying my diva folks said to wear it lower than a diaphram or instead, so I have been. I will absolutely put it in higher tomorrow morning, do the diva dance, make sure it spins, and see how it goes.

Thanks again ladies.
#12 of 19 Old 11-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post
I was going to ask about the size too. Did you get the smaller size or larger? Are you able to spin the cup? If not, maybe you don't have a seal. Mine can move down but can't unseal and fall out (the seal is too strong).

There is also a yahoo group for cup users but I can't remember the name off of the top of my head (DivaMoonKeeper or something?). They might be able to provide some help. It's worth it if you can get it working right.

Also, some people say the Mooncup works when the Diva doesn't work for them because of a *slightly* different shape.
The Yahoo group is MoonKeeperDivas And it was started by a MDC mama. I hightly sugest joining!
I also second the advice to try a Mooncup (just make sure to get the original UK Mooncup, not the Keeper Moon Cup. This is the cheapest place to get it.)
The Mooncup is a slightly different shape than the Diva, and because of that it works MUCH better for some people due to differences in annatomy.
#13 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've tried the diva, keeper and Instead with no luck. I have quite a bit of prolapse since my second natural birth, and no amount of kegals will fix hernias in that area. A cystocele (hernia of the bladder where it bulges into the vaginal cavity beyond the pubic bone) can cause the menstrual cup to not stay in place and slip.
#14 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 PM

My diaphragm works great as a menstrual cup. I just insert it like normal, sans spermicide. It was $65, and is a multitasker!
#15 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 01:27 PM

I just re-use my Instead for the whole "Aunt Flow".
Rinse after each change time and reinsert. I've been doing this for years and no problems.
#16 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Same here, when I still used Instead.

Now I use a Diva, and I'd never go back!

I do have to wear it up pretty high, though... pretty much as high as I can possibly reach with my stubby li'l fingers.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#17 of 19 Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so here's my update. (I know you were all dying to know)

I guess I was just wearing it too low, because now, when I wear it up super high, it doesn't seem to fall down. I've been doing the diva dance as well and that helps me feel like it's opened right.

I am glad to say that I forgot that I was even having my period a couple times (no cramps since first dd). Yeah! I am now a happy diva user, but will keep my diaphram in mind if I need it.

Thanks so much ladies.
#18 of 19 Old 12-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcare View Post
Ok, so here's my update. (I know you were all dying to know)

I guess I was just wearing it too low, because now, when I wear it up super high, it doesn't seem to fall down. I've been doing the diva dance as well and that helps me feel like it's opened right.

I am glad to say that I forgot that I was even having my period a couple times (no cramps since first dd). Yeah! I am now a happy diva user, but will keep my diaphram in mind if I need it.

Thanks so much ladies.
Thanks for the update, and glad my Diva Dance works for you. We are all built so differently, and it was just finding your "comfy spot" up high (like me), and doing the dance. Wait until next cycle or 2, when you can take it out and put it in w/ NO mess at all! That's when you'll be an official "pro". Wish DD could convince her friends how great a cup is. In these parts, people are pretty behind the times and narrow minded. Her friends are all using plugs or pads, and think a cup is weird. Maybe one day, they'll be informed an aware. I should print stuff out for them about what they're using, and maybe scare them to their senses! I do it in the nail industry all the time, and it's quite effective!
#19 of 19 Old 12-05-2006, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

In that same vein, my mother thinks that I'm nuts for using a cup (along with many of the other things that I do). And I thought that my younger sister (19) had come to agree with her. She thought that it was weird and gross when my cup came in the mail.

But, she came home from college last week and told me how she had just tried cloth menstral pads for the first time after attending some women's workshop on campus. She couldn't believe how much more comfortalble they were. Something they said at that workshop clicked with her, and now she's coming around to the cup idea. Yeah!

By the way (and this is probably tmi), I won't have to wait for my next cycle to make sure I'm doing it right--I've had spotting and a light flow for the past 3 weeks after my last 80 day cycle! What!?! I know, it's crazy. But, anyway, I've had a lot of diva practice lately and no mess.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page