How to freshen the house? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice ladies. I live in an apartment building and my landlady seems to believe that we cause every odour in the apartment building (our apartment doesn't smell by the way and this is confirmed by EVERYBODY who visits are place). To keep the peace if I even think that there is a smell I am using Febreeze. I don't want to use it but DH bought it to use. I want a natural alternative to help make the place smell fresh. There is little air flow due to the design and I take out the garbage 1-2 times a day and clean everything up. What natural stuff can I use to make the house smell fresh when needed?

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#2 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 AM

If you have carpeting, you can sprinkle it liberally with baking soda, let it sit for up to 1/2 hr. then vacuum, this always works well when my house starts to smell musty.

Also, you could boil cloves and cinnamin on the stove.
#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 AM

It sounds like the landlady is super-sensitive to smells, since she's bothered by odors that other people don't seem to notice. If that's the case, the Febreeze or other added scents might bother her more!

What specifically does she seem to object to? That might help in thinking of solutions.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
my alternative to febreeze is to put citrus eo's into vinegar and spray the house down. the vinegar odor is gone in minutes, but it eliminates any bad smells, and then you are left with orange/lemon/tangering.

i do bs on the carpert too.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
my alternative to febreeze is to put citrus eo's into vinegar and spray the house down. the vinegar odor is gone in minutes, but it eliminates any bad smells, and then you are left with orange/lemon/tangering.

i do bs on the carpert too.
Yeah, what she said!
Also, depending on weather, crack windows during favorable temps, and let sunshine in. Otherwise, bs and vinegar are awesome, as they (w/ the help of peroxide) killed peed mattress odors from my son's accidents at night.
#6 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 04:23 PM

I am getting a nebulizer for eo. I am getting the room sized one that I will put on a timer.

http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapyaccessories.htm

Cant wait I love lemon for its freshness
#7 of 7 Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

My landlady likes the really chemically smells. She would be happy if I febreezed everywhere (like in the commercial where the woman is sparying everywhere). Also the smells are in the common areas of the building not at/in my apartment. I will try the essential oils in vinegar. The nebulizer sounds good. I have a tea light burner but I obviously can't use it when I am not home.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page