HELP!!! My tooth is killing me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dentist says I need a root canal, or extraction...what do I do? Aren't root canals evil or something? I remember reading something about it on a Weston A. Price site, but I'm not sure what it said...If I get it pulled, I have to get a fake tooth put back in, like a denture since it's on the side and the hole can be seen from the front. I don't know what to do! I had braces as a child, so I can't just leave it empty, my teeth would shift, leaving my beautiful smile all gapped! I am not sure if I want a fake tooth that I can take out...I would feel like an old lady: Please tell me about your experiences with root canals, or fake teeth...I only have till Dec. 6th to make up my mind!

Thanks, Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#2 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yikes, I don't know but you may want to check on the dental board.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=308
#3 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 03:35 PM

I've had experience w/ both. Although I'm not thrilled w/ root canal (had 2 of them a week apart), at least part of my teeth are saved, and I have a crown over each. I had an extraction years back when root canal wasn't in the budget (prior marriage, that is), and my goal for next year is to fill that space in w/ a permanent bridge.
To buy yourself some time, take a sip's worth of peroxide (3% in the brown bottles for under a buck), and let it just sit and foam in your mouth for as long as you can (5 minutes or so), and it will do wonders to ease the discomfort by cleaning that bad boy out. I have a tooth I put on hold so that my dog could have his baby teeth pulled. Peroxide is really helping, and I only have issues when I have certain sweets or extreme cold.
Hope this is somewhat helpful! If I had the money back then, I'd have gone w/ root canal over extraction, because it's cheaper and better in the end.
#4 of 4 Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 PM

No, root canals are not evil. I don't personally agree with most of the information I've read on the Price site. Teeth are very important for your overall health, not just a pretty smile.

I've made dental work a priority and now that I'm middle aged I'm glad I scrounged up the money or I would be totally toothless. My root canal was done 20 years ago and hasn't give me a minute's problem. I've also had the bridge made when I did have to have an extraction. I would always try and save a tooth first. My bridge is great, but saving the tooth would always be my first route. To get the bridge, you have to have the teeth on both sides of the extraction crowned to hold the fake tooth. Lots of work. Not everyone is a good candidate for an implant to replace a tooth. Neither of those pop out of your mouth like a denture.

If you trust your dentist, then follow that advice. If you don't trust your dentist, then find a different one. But if you are already in pain, this isn't something which can wait.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page