Liquid Soap Products - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone heard of them? When we bought our house there were over 12 gallons of different products in hour garage. I have no clue what I'm looking at and am hoping to switch everything in our house over to being natural.

http://www.liquidsoapproducts.com/pr...d_washday.html

http://www.liquidsoapproducts.com/pr..._resource.html

http://www.liquidsoapproducts.com/pr..._paradise.html

http://www.liquidsoapproducts.com/pr...d_peaches.html

I'm pretty sure that their "environmentally clean" claims aren't true but would like to know before I get rid of it all....

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM

You can use them for cleaning really dirty stuff in your house, or just sell or donate them. I can imagine that they would be useful to clean the tub or something with it. They seem to be biodegradable/environmentally friendly.

The one link I looked at, it's got some Triclosan in it, which is a fungicide/antibacterial chemical. I would probably keep one around if somebody had the flu in the house and you needed to wash your hands, but it's up to you. Another one has SLS and SLES in it, but again, that depends on you - it's just a mild detergent. Some people on MDC freak out over SLS and SLES, but I'm starting to find inconclusive research and the whole "SLS causes cancer" thing was actually an internet urban myth. SLS/SLES can be irritating as any detergent or even natural soap can be if left on the skin, because of it's high pH (basic).
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 PM

Both of the Paradise and Peaches soaps contain loads of sulfates, and I wouldn't use them. The other 2 items are "ingredient unfamiliar" to me, and if it isn't specific and natural, I wouldn't use them. You could always donate them to a shelter or something.................or group home..........or neighbor. You don't have to throw them out.
Go w/ your gut, but I wouldn't use them. I'm still fighting forces at home to not use chemicals. I don't buy chems any more, but hubby will sneak in stuff now and then and freaks out if I toss them, even though I won't use them. Once we are out of the salon stuff (that is almost gone...........whoohooo), we are done w/ that crap (and I work in the beauty industry). Kids are a little leary of bar shampoo, but oh well. They'll get over it.
We use (except hubby) bs, vinegar, oxy, castile, and worst case scenario....Simple Green. That's all I clean with. Oh, and sometimes will use peroxide for random things.
Hair and body care are chosen (I'm using exclusively), and easing into.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! As you can tell I'm very new to all of this, but do really want to make a change. I make keep a few things around. I feel bad donating it though. If I wouldn't use it why would I give it to someone else to use, ykwim? But I don't want to just dump it. I'm rambling.... LOL.... thanks again!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 PM

It's not an issue of donating it, since these are mainstream cleansers, environmentally friendly ones at that.

If you had a vat of acid that didn't do anything else, that would be an issue

Again, people in these forums are a overly sensitive to commercial products and just ban them out of their homes out of convenience, often not understanding what's okay and what's not. Any "normal" consumer will not care and will actually be grateful that you're donating it.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:35 PM

I didn't read the links, but donating the items by using something like Freecycle allows the people who pick up to make their own choice. I use pretty natural ingredients most of the time just because I think soap and water work just fine. I don't bother with vinegar even, because I'm not convinced it does anything that soap and water won't do.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Vinegar gets rid of 99% of molds and viruses

I had a microbiologist totally commend me for using vinegar - she said that vinegar and baking soda work as great cleaners and work well to get rid of pathogens. It's also healthier to use them than bleach and other products that irritate asthmatics.

User Tag List