Flame retardant sleepwear - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did see a thread on this from 2004, but no difinitive answer.
Does ANYONE know how to remove flame retardant from infant sleepwear?

I have a ton of stuff and no baby yet. Much of what I have was bought used so at least it's been washed some. And, of course, I washed it. But how do I know if the nasty stuff is gone?
I know my kid will be safe without it because he will NOT be allowed to smoke in bed!

Am I just going to have to take it all to Once Upon A Child and start over?

And, as a first time mom, how do I know what has been treated or what is technically "sleepwear?"

And this is just a US problem, right? Could I not just buy outside the country?

Please help! : I'm going crazy and the baby isn't even here yet!
Thanks in advance.
#2 of 10 Old 12-04-2006, 01:49 PM

Wash the clothes with plenty of white vinegar. Vinegar can take off any finishes. Hopefully it doesn't have any painted decorations on it, it will eat that off too - but vinegar should remove the finish and clean your baby's clothes.

For regular laundry, you can just wash your baby's clothing in baking soda (the gentlest for babies!).
#3 of 10 Old 12-04-2006, 02:23 PM

i just bought a set of fire-proof sleepwear for dd (i found matching pj's for dd and dh at target and couldn't resist!) and have been wondering the exact same thing. vinegar to the rescue, excellent!
#4 of 10 Old 12-05-2006, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Spastica.

Does anyone know about buying baby sleepwear from another country?
#5 of 10 Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 PM

I believe hanna anderssons' long johns are not fire retardent. I'm also making my girls some flannel night gowns
#6 of 10 Old 12-06-2006, 10:55 AM

AFAIK, a lot of 100% cotton sleepwear is not flame retardant. Especially if the label says "wear close-fitting" or something like that. It's synthetics that have it.
#7 of 10 Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 AM

That's right about the synthetic fibers being the ones with the retardant.. I personally just don't use the synthetic fibers for sleepware because if you take off the retardant chemicals and if there were to be a fire, the clothes would be highly flamable and melt if in contact with flame. So the chemicals are bad but the synthetic fibers without the retardant are dangerous if there were a fire. So I stick with tight fitting cotton nightwear or wool- which is naturally flame retardant.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#8 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavery View Post
AFAIK, a lot of 100% cotton sleepwear is not flame retardant. Especially if the label says "wear close-fitting" or something like that. It's synthetics that have it.
Yep. HA longjohns or zippers ore fine. For a cheaper alternative, the 100% cotton Carter's sleepwear sets (available at Target 2 for $15 or so), Gap, ON, Children's place, gymboree, etc. These all fit *super* snug though and they shrink a fair amount in the wash so I usually size up - still not big enough to cause a fire danger but doesn't look so sausage-like either
#9 of 10 Old 12-12-2006, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

So I guess the consensus is that I just need to consign all the adorable synthetic sleepwear that I have been given. (I already washed it all so it would be ready for Baby.)

Are little cotton sleepers really warm enough for a little one born in January? It's my first baby so I really don't know what to expect.

And where could I find wool sleepers?

Thanks everyone for the information!
#10 of 10 Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 PM

I would say that the cotton will be almost as warm, wool would be great too, and you can also dress dc in layers.. I have noticed the one pj set that dd has (it matches one dh has and i couldn't resist) does not absorb perspiration, and she seems kinda sticky under there when she sleeps. DD (2.5) is wearing cotton sweat pants/shirts to bed this winter and they are working great.

google ruskovilla to find some really nice wool sleepers. also sleep sacks work really well for little babes who can't have covers over them, it makes it easy to layer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page