question about nail fungus and nail polish - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I *think* this is the right forum, since I'm not asking how to cure the fungus (already on it), but more how not to spread it.

So, can nail fungus be spread via nail polish? I.e., using the same brush on an infected nail will cross-contaminate a healthy nail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM

I think it can spread like that - try soaking your nails in white vinegar for a few seconds and rinse. Then rub some tea tree oil on the infected nails. Add some lotion or olive oil to your nail and cuticle for some moisturization.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wouldn't risk it spreading that way, nor would I risk possibly reinforcing the infection or reinfecting by reusing nail polish even on just that nail.

My current treatment regimen is to soak my toes in Listerine, followed up with an experimental essential oil blend: anti-fungal and keeps the nails somewhat softened so they don't hurt as much. I also apply the oil after showers and every time I happen to change or put on socks.

And no, TTO is not part of my treatment. I'm allergic, no matter how diluted it was into a carrier oil, my skin peeled.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
I *think* this is the right forum, since I'm not asking how to cure the fungus (already on it), but more how not to spread it.

So, can nail fungus be spread via nail polish? I.e., using the same brush on an infected nail will cross-contaminate a healthy nail?
I am a nail tech, educator, and licensed in 2 states. If polish spreads fungus, this is the first I've heard or known, and I've networked w/ a podiatrist. Mannnnny times, fungus is caused by trauma or injury (let's just say those cute shoes you HAD to have that rub on the pinky and big toe, causing trauma and discoloration--aka fungus). There are fungi that can be spread, yes, but if you have that kind, you would most likely give it to your spouse from playing footsies in the middle of the night while asleep.
Some people confuse mold and fungus, although it sounds as though you're certain it's fungus. As many clients I've seen w/ fungus that polished their toes at home, the toes that had it were the only toes that kept it!
If you are near a Sally's Beauty Supply, I'd like to recommend a cuticle oil called "Poshe". It's green, and it has lots of antimicrobial stuff in it, and is an anti-fungal. Also, try GSE (some may disagree, but my clients used it successfully) on the area in questions.
Sunlight and air also help, so keep them exposed as often as you can.

Sidenote: My clients didn't contract anything from my services. Anything they had was pre-existing and handled professionally.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 AM

most polishes have so many chemicals in them nothing can grow in them.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's good information to know Jean-na. My idea was simply that, not knowing, it wasn't worth the risk.

From what I've read, nail fungus is not that easily spread between people, but in my experience with 4 bad nails and one other, the original apparently healed, it certain does spread to other toes. The first one I know had an injury, after which it went bad, but none of the rest had an injury before they developed the problem.

Quote:
(let's just say those cute shoes you HAD to have that rub on the pinky and big toe, causing trauma and discoloration--aka fungus)
One more reason to NOT do that kind of shoe!

"What will you do once you know?"

User Tag List