teenage tampon help... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-09-2006, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I used tampons and they hurt it was usually because they weren't inserted high enough. They would kind of rub as I walked and it was annoying and painful. Maybe go over the directions with them again? Even though they might be totally embarrassed to do so, I know I would have been at that age
#32 of 45 Old 12-10-2006, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update by saying I think we're going to try a diva cup.I talked to my 13 yr. old about them,and at first she was like"okay mom,that's sick",I quickly reminded her that she's the one so resistent to wearing pads,and really how much different is a cup than a tampon?(in essence)So,she agreed..and so next month when af comes for her,she's agreed to try them.Thank you guys for all your input(well,most all I really would've never even considered the menstrual cup before you all.......
#33 of 45 Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Isnt it great when you are able to reason w/ a teen . I only have boys but I remember many arguements w/ my mother and looking back if she would have just looked at options we would have avoided conflict.
Way to go Momma for finding a common ground!!

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#34 of 45 Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 PM

sammysmammy:

Take your daughters to the doctor and get them fitted for diaphragms. They will be able to size them properly, so that there won't be an issue of too big or too small.

Plus, these are usually cheaper than cups, but perform the same way. You can get them in latex or sillicone.

Also, I can attest through personal experience, this was a FANTASTIC way to learn about birth control. Not that I am in any way insinuating that your daughters need birth control- I first had sex, um, eight years or so after I got fitted for my diaphragm. But, it made me so much more comfortable dealing with the doc and my girly bits. I was always careful, consistent, and informed, and I really think that it was because of this early experience. I did not get pregnant until I wanted to!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#35 of 45 Old 12-10-2006, 07:46 PM

Maybe they should use a menstrual cup, like The Keeper or The Diva Cup.
#36 of 45 Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM

Qoute:
Um....okay,this seems to be happening to me more and more on here.I wasn't looking for opinions on what my role is as a parent,simply some honest recommendations concerning good brands of organic tampons.Quite honestly,though--as long as I'm buying their feminine products,and responsible for their well being--I do think I have every right to narrow the options they have.Which is why I don't buy all the crap sugar cereal,poison milk,soda,etc anymore either.Gheesh,just because they're teenagers doesn't mena i can just be like okay,do whatever you want.By living an alternate lifestyle,as far as NFL goes---I'm hoping to instill in them values that go against just accepting what society deems as appropriate,even as menial as tampons!
This is also pretty funny,considering that my girls weren't even complaining about not using regular plastic tampons anymore...just simply asking if there were other applicator types.
Trust me,to be such a "open minded"community as natural family living types are supposed to be,I'm finding they're the most close minded and judgemental.Amazing.....

Hey---I totally agree with you!!! YOU are their mother, in charge of their well-being and responsible for the hospital bills if they get toxic shock!!! Good Lord---our children are our responsibility until 18---and there are certain things that they just have to accept!! That said---I also have a teenage daughter that makes the same comments about our natural stuff---but I just had her read an article on toxic shock and that sealed it for her......when she is ready for internal protection---she is going to use a cup or a sponge! Teenagers are the MOST vulnerable when it comes to toxic shock---so I have talked about the dangers of tampons for years. Also---the main problem I found with natural cotton tampons is that because they are 100% cotton, they tend to have WAY more absorption than synthetics and hence dry you out a bit more, which could explain the pain in removal. I totally, totally recommend a Diva cup or a Mooncup---the silicone will never, ever give toxic shock. This type of protection may be a bit uncomfortable as far as inserting and removing for a teenager, but my opinion is that their health is WAY more important than being a bit squeemish----as long as they understand that toxic shock STILL happens, and there is ALWAYS a chance of it with tampons---and you could recover 100%, you could recover with limbs missing or you could die.............Sorry if I am too preachy (not tryin' to be) but this is a subject I feel very, very stongly about cuz i LOVE my daughter and I feel it is my duty as her parent and mentor to teach her about the safest options for her health!!
#37 of 45 Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshine View Post
Good for you for looking out for your daughters' health. And so long as your money is paying for their menstrual products, you have every right to say what you're willing to buy!
ITA!

Quote:
ODOR: I feel that cloth pads, changed frequently, have much less odor than disposable pads. They even have less odor than standard tampons. I always felt a bit fragrant with a Playtex tampon. Menstrual cups are virtually odorless. I mean, take into consideration that there's blood, and it does have a scent, so when you remove it, you will probably smell it. BUT I feel that it's much much much less stinky than any other option.

My hierarchy of stinkitudel, from least smelly to most smelly:
menstrual cup
cloth pad
tampon
disposable pad
And this is my heirarchy too...I love my cloth pads! No smell at all. I can't believe I didn't know about these before. Still working on the diva cup, but I loved Instead. Just think the diva is too big for me or something. I can't imagine being a high schooler though and having to tote cloth pads (clean or used) around, so that is probably not an option? Before I found cloth and found out how bad tampons were, I used OB...I never did like the applicator. I just couldn't see the sense in an applicator, even as a teen, when my fingers did the trick! I wish they had had (or maybe they did but I didn't know about them) Instead 15 years ago, when I started high school!

Quote:
I've never tried sea sponges. Some people who really want a squishy insertable like them. There are some that are available online (hmmm, from the maker of Lunapads or the Keeper?) that are pre-shaped.
Yes, you can but these at www.lunapads.com

Quote:
When I was a teenager, I was very worried about whether anybody could *see* a pad - I felt like I was wearing a mattress, and it seemed crinkly to me, and I felt like I walked funny. I'm sure nobody could tell, but I felt like there were banners flying from my nether region announcing my state. My Diva cup is very worry-free, I actually feel it less than I ever felt a tampon. And I also feel cloth pads less than I felt disposable pads - they seem to conform to the body better.
I never even know I am wearing a pad with cloth but I hated those plastic thingies with a passion.
#38 of 45 Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM

Until a year ago, I used Playtex tampons. (my sister has always used them, so that's why I started as a teen)
I've used cardboard applicators a handful of times and always got pinched. Hate the things.

Now I have and love my Diva. I am a jogger and have never had an issue with leaking. Jeez, I love that thing!

My 2 neices will be here for Christmas and I intend to tell them about the Diva. I have little to no hope with one, but a but more hope for my more crunchy neice. My sister thinks this is halarious and that I have no hope in converting them. But I'll give it a try...

I think a cup is a great option for a teen. (Though be sure to get the correct size-there are 2 sizes)

When I used tampons I was constantly paranoid of leaking. So much so that I would use the Super Plus.
I have not had that worry since I started using Miss Diva. I have complete confidence in it-even when I'm jogging on my first period day!
So if they can get past the having to reach in, dump and rinse it and boil it once a month--then it's a great option. And nothing goes in the landfills!
#39 of 45 Old 12-13-2006, 11:29 PM

I did gymnastics until I was fourteen and tampons were a necessity! My mom was against it but it was pretty hard to deny their value if one's period arrived on competition day. I switched from a conventional brand to Natracare when I was 16 and had no problems. At first, I wasn't too keen on the non-applicator ones but as soon as I tried them (they are incredibly inconspicuous in one's pocket!), I loved them. I got some sea sponges when I was around 20 and really like them for light days but as a teen, I'm sure they would've seemed strange. Natracare also makes pretty good pads. Also, I started to improve my diet as a teen and found my periods to be much lighter and easier...which saved me tons of $$$ on the organic stuff (my mom wouldn't buy organic tampons/pads...you're girls are lucky!).

jiva

: : :
ds1 3/05 ds2 5/07 dd 6/09
#40 of 45 Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM

I still don't understand how you get pinched with the cardboard, since its a flat edge???? (Don't worry, I don't really want to know).
But then again the plastic is something I just had bad luck with. I also had my finger get pinched and stuck by a 'wet one's' type container-- and the plastic had to be cut off my finger. My finger was all cut and bleeding from the plastic, too.

I think my parents felt very bad for telling me to just stick my finger in to pull up the next wipe-- and my dad felt horrible while cutting away the plastic from my stuck finger while it dug in causing more cuts- ouch.

Nowadays I've noticed the plastic in these type things is MUCH 'softer' but it still makes me cringe.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#41 of 45 Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you,guys,once again for all the great replies and comments.I just wanted to share also,my background with feminine products and AF---probably one more reason why I fiercely believe in this topic so strong!
I started my AF young-4th grade.This was in like 1980 or so...and I remember my mom actually showing me how to use a Kotex pad and the "belt"contraption(anyone remember,hello?!) Anyway,the belt was short lived,then i used pads til' I was probably in like 7th grade until I talked her into letting me use tampons.This was pre-plastic applicator,so I started out using cardboard Tampax.I distinctly remember the first time I ever went to insert one,in our upstairs bathroom and I blacked out!I have heard of this happening to other girls.I "came to"in a cold sweat on the bathroom floor.Fast forward to about my freshmen year of high school--I had changed to Playtex plastic Super's and had started having indications of female trouble.Heavy,heavy bleeding,horrible cramping(lots of missed school),irregular cycles.Doc wanted to put me on bc pills,mom said no.
Three children and ten years later,I am having a complete hysterectomy after years of HORRIFIC female issues.I had two laperoscopies to try and stop my raging endometriosis to no avail.When my Gyn. finally did my radical(everything out-even ovaries)hysterctomy she told my DH post-op that it looked like someone had dumped a pepper shaker on my insides from the endo.
I am not going to say that my problems are fer sure attributed to so many years of tampon use.All I know is if I can do anything to keep my girls from going through what I have,I will do it.I remember one visit to my Gyn. right before my surgery when she had to dig a tampon out from inside me,my blood flow would be so violent during my cycles that a tampon had basically gotten "sucked"up(I had still been able to insert another tampon in,I didn't realize there was still one in there)
All that said,I am fine now---but wish I had known more about tampon awareness,toxic shock,alternative feminine products,etc.Thank God I do now,for them
#42 of 45 Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM

Good for you---stick to your guns!! After 15 years of tampon use---I was beginning to have terrible cramps and other problems DIRECTLY associated with tampon usage----cloth pads eliminated ALL of these symptoms! FWIW--my mother was stricly a Tampax user--she had a hysterectomy(fibroids, heavy bleeding); my SIL was strictly a Tampx user--she had a hysterectomy(fibroids, heavy bleeding); my other SIL is strictly a Tampax user and has terribly heavy bleeding, cramping and other horrid endo problems (even had surgery for it). I made sure to educate my dd with as much info as I possibly could about why tampons are SO bad and what other options are out there. At some point, we all need some sort of internal protection, and thank God there are safer options out there!! There are definitely some women out there who can use whatever brands of tampons and never have any problems---but to me it is common sense that if there are family problems obviously related to tampons, the other safer options should be considered first......
#43 of 45 Old 12-15-2006, 01:47 PM

My daughter will not use tampons. Absolutely not. Not under my roof. Not many things do I feel so strongly about as that, and will likely not set my foot down that hard with other things, but I feel very strongly about tampons. This is one of my personal missions in life, and I feel very liberated to be able to talk to most men and their wives about the harms of tampons. I had the worst periods...I still bleed pretty heavily but they were oh, so much worse when I was using tampons. My doctor put me on bc when I was 14 to help the flow and it was still so heavy I had to wake up every hour at night to change a nighttime pad and a super plus tampon. Anyway...that is wayyyyy tmi, but I just want everyone to know that they are really bad for the vagina. I have had sooo many problems, that mostly went away when I started using cloth pads, and stopped using tampons.

Good for you for making a stand sammysmammy!
#44 of 45 Old 12-16-2006, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think that is really cool that your daughters are open to trying out the diva cup! I got one last year, but only used it for 3 days of one cycle and then was pregnant 2 weeks later, so I haven't used it again since. I have to say though, even with only those few days to practice, I thought it was awesome. It was really pretty comfortable, no leaks, longer lasting than a tampon (I think I dumped it out 3 times a day or so).

By the way, I totally agree with you on the organic only idea. I think when my daughters are at that age, I will offer them organic tampons, pads, cloth pads, and cups. I don't like the conventional tampons and pads and just don't think they are the healthiest things my daughters could use in their bodies.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#45 of 45 Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 AM

Warning - TMI! (maybe)

Just something to keep in mind about teenagers using a cup, especially if they are NOT sexually active.

Two words: hymen problems!:

I'm serious!

I started using the Keeper about five years ago. It's been on and off. I was 32 at the time, not sexually active (had one "experience" in college that wasn't "completed" ). I was very active as a child, including horseback riding.

I have LOTS of mucus/vaginal discharge (I do Creighton NFP to track my cycle as I have severe endo - four surgeries!), so I tend to use the Keeper to catch my discharge as I HATE pads (have used tampons from about six months after I got my period at 12). My doctor has OK'd this (crunchy, homebirth type who also does all-family medical care - Homefirst in Chicago)

Surprise to find out: my hymen was still intact! I was taking the Keeper out one day (the suction hadn't broken properly) when I was NOT on my period (so just mucus) and all of a sudden, there was a TON of blood in the toilet and I was REALLY sore down there! After talking with some online buddies, I realized what had happened.

From the Keeper website (www.thekeeper.com) FAQs

15.) Can virgins use this?
Yes. But if you have strong feelings about keeping the hymen "intact", The Keeper would not be recommended in that case.

So, something to keep (pun unintended) in mind.

lady.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page