What do you use for moisturizer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have wacked out skin, and today marks my first week of washing with honey, but what should I do to moisturize? My skin is sooooo dry!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#2 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Daytime is jojoba oil, nighttime is unrefined shea butter. We're both in TX, and our weather is drying us out right now, so hang in there. I wash w/ african black soap, followed by a 2nd washing w/ honey. Once a week, I throw some bs in w/ the honey for a scrub. I use jojoba every day for moisturizer, and most days it does a great job, but today I needed extra, so shea and I made a date!
#3 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM

I use shea butter or apricot kernel oil on damp skin.

For seriously dry skin, I use a balm with beeswax in it and put it on wet skin. It acts like a bit of a barrier cream.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Take a couple of Tablespoons of flax a day.
#5 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 PM

I make my own cream using apricot kernal oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, and distilled water (or rose water). I love this cream and it is pretty simple to make--just let me know if you want the recipe. I also use just coconut oil or olive oil after every shower or everytime I wash my face.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#6 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 PM

I agree with flax oil. It helps to start on the inside out. Also coconut oil is awesome for the skin!!!
And I will get some salt or sugar and pour any kind of oil in it and make my own scrub.
#7 of 39 Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 PM

I'm a flax fan, but honestly don't notice a difference in my skin w/ or w/out taking flax. I do it because it's good for me, and I'm almost on my 2nd bottle. I'll probably always take it, even though I don't notice a change in my skin!
#8 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you for all of the responses!

Will any of these oils break me out? I tried to do a search for the OCM but couldn't find it and there were A TON of threads that came up with the search. Is there a certain brand of oil I should buy when I'm looking at Jojoba? What about the Shea butter?

treemom2 - Please do share!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#9 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 AM

For winter, cocoa butter is excellent and it smells like chocolate It gets rid of cracked heels and chapped skin.

I am also using coconut oil after my shower (liquid form).

Also, having a humidifier on during winter months makes a HUGE difference. Indoor heat and moisture-less winds outside wreak havoc on your skin and dry you out from the inside (your nasal cavities also get dry and start cracking). Humidifiers keep you from itching and it'll help with static around your house too! One more plus, it helps your hair from going so flat in the winter!
#10 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 AM

Cream Recipe (adapted from Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair book)

6 oz liquid oil (examples are peanut, olive, jojoba, apricot, almond)
3 oz solid oil (examples are shea, coconut, cocoa)
1 oz beeswax
9 oz distilled water (or rose water, orange water, etc. . .)

Pour the 6 oz liquid oil into a 16 oz measuring cup (Pyrex works great). Add pieces of solid oil until the total volume hits 9oz mark. Add small pieces of beeswax until up to 10oz mark. Put cup in hot water (like double boiler) and stir over medium heat until pieces of solid oil and beeswax melt--stir often. Remove cup and bring mixture to body temp. While cooling pour 9 oz water into a cup and heat to body temp by placing into the hot water bath after the oil mix has been removed.

Once oil mixture and water mixture are the same temp (test with finger), por water mix into blender or food processor. Process at high speed. slowly drizzle oil mix into water mix (like making mayo) until it is thick and creamy. Put the cream into clean glass jars. If you want to add essential oils, do so now. Close with lid and let sit overnight to set up. Sometimes this mix does separate, especially in the summer, but all you have to do is shake it up and its good as new. If you make a large batch, put the jars you aren't using in the fridge to last longer.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#11 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you treemom!

Where do I buy all of these oils, raw (?) shea butter, beeswax and rose water? Will this make my acne prone skin breakout?

#12 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelife View Post
Where do I buy all of these oils, raw (?) shea butter, beeswax and rose water? Will this make my acne prone skin breakout?
I buy all my ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs (see ads on top left of page, I think there is a link and MDC get a kickback). For acne prone skin I think I would use grapeseed oil as my liquid oil and maybe just coconut oil as my solid oil. This will make a thinner cream than if you added one of the other solid oils and you may have to refrigerate to keep it cream consistency, but I think it would be better for your skin than the other solid oils which sometimes are pretty heavy.

#13 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 AM

You should keep that cream in the fridge even when making small batches, oils+water can create bacteria and it needs refridgeration or a preservative, other wise it can get moldy.

Treemom is right about grapeseed oil. That and safflower oil are lighter oils and soak into the skin better than most other oils.

I make my own lotion when I am feeling industrious but when I am lazy I just toss some cooa or shea butter into my bath.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#14 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Would Whole Foods sell any of this? My skin seriously needs a drink and I don't want to wait for it to be shipped! Thank you for all of the great ideas! I REALLY want to get away from Clinique but it has been the only thing to keep my skin looking great.

Can anyone tell me anything about the OCM?

#15 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM

WF should sell pretty much all of it, with the exception of the unrefined shea butter. The oils I use are found in the cooking section, but some oils can be found in the health/beauty section. Beeswax is often over in the bulk herb section, but sometimes chunks are found in health/beauty. For really nice chunks of beeswax, I go to a Mennonite or Amish market. Of course, those smell good enough to eat!

While I often order unrefined shea butter via co-op, I also buy a slightly more refined shea butter from WF: Perfect Organics, 100% pure Shea Butter. The unrefined stuff can often smell a bit smoky and the richness sometimes bothers me.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#16 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM

You can just get a jar of shea butter or cocoa butter and be done with it. Though the mixed/whipped concoction mentioned above seems really nice, you can just get away with just using shea or cocoa if you're itching to get something emollient on your body (pun intended).
#17 of 39 Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! I'm heading out to WF's now!

I know some of my questions have to seem so dumb but thank you for walking me through all of this!

#18 of 39 Old 12-10-2006, 05:06 PM

I use olive oil with a few drops of chamomile and lavender essential oils.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#19 of 39 Old 12-11-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
Cream Recipe (adapted from Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair book)

6 oz liquid oil (examples are peanut, olive, jojoba, apricot, almond)
3 oz solid oil (examples are shea, coconut, cocoa)
1 oz beeswax
9 oz distilled water (or rose water, orange water, etc. . .)

Pour the 6 oz liquid oil into a 16 oz measuring cup (Pyrex works great). Add pieces of solid oil until the total volume hits 9oz mark. Add small pieces of beeswax until up to 10oz mark. Put cup in hot water (like double boiler) and stir over medium heat until pieces of solid oil and beeswax melt--stir often. Remove cup and bring mixture to body temp. While cooling pour 9 oz water into a cup and heat to body temp by placing into the hot water bath after the oil mix has been removed.

Once oil mixture and water mixture are the same temp (test with finger), por water mix into blender or food processor. Process at high speed. slowly drizzle oil mix into water mix (like making mayo) until it is thick and creamy. Put the cream into clean glass jars. If you want to add essential oils, do so now. Close with lid and let sit overnight to set up. Sometimes this mix does separate, especially in the summer, but all you have to do is shake it up and its good as new. If you make a large batch, put the jars you aren't using in the fridge to last longer.
Just for body? Or can it be used for face too?

Shannon
#20 of 39 Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM

It is meant as a face cream, but it feels great on your body as well!!

#21 of 39 Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziraye View Post
I agree with flax oil. It helps to start on the inside out. Also coconut oil is awesome for the skin!!!
And I will get some salt or sugar and pour any kind of oil in it and make my own scrub.
I thought coconut oil caused acne? : I swear I recall reading that coconut oil and cocoa butter are both highly comedogenic?
#22 of 39 Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
It is meant as a face cream, but it feels great on your body as well!!
Umm...yeah. I guess the word "moisturizer" in the title and the fact that the OP said she just started washing with honey should have clued me in to the fact that we're talking about a facial moisturizer. Bare with me here. I'm going on 6 weeks of 3 small, sick children and no sleep!

Shannon
#23 of 39 Old 12-12-2006, 02:13 PM

I use extra virgin coconut oil as a moisterizer and body lotion. A little goes a long way and it sinks in nice.
#24 of 39 Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2fiya View Post
I use extra virgin coconut oil as a moisterizer and body lotion. A little goes a long way and it sinks in nice.
nak

where do you get that from?

shannon
#25 of 39 Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 PM

Farmers' market or Indian grocery store!
#26 of 39 Old 12-13-2006, 10:17 AM

I order mine from Puritans pride when they have BOGO, but now you can find it at Whole Foods, Kroger (in the health food section). Farmers Markets...or a quick search online.
#27 of 39 Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 PM

I get my coconut oil from either Mountain Rose Herbs or Vitacost.

#28 of 39 Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 AM

I have been using sweet almond oil and really like that, but maybe coconut would be better? Has anyone else done sweet almond AND coconut? Which do you prefer?

Shannon

Gina, I have to hunt you down and ask you a question about peroxide!
#29 of 39 Old 12-14-2006, 10:21 AM

The information I have on oils says that almond oil is somewhat drying (so probably better for acne prone skin) whereas coconut oil is very moisturizing so is better for dry skin. I really like coconut oil for my skin--then again, my skin is very dry most of the time.

#30 of 39 Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 AM

I've used coconut oil on my nose and ended up with little red zits all over it. I haven't tried it anymore so I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. But it sure feels lovely on my lips!

I stick with unrefined shea and aloe and internally with flax and coconut oil. I want to try jojoba but I am a little cheap and am waiting for a good deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page