My hands and cuticles are soooo dry. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been slathering on Nivea cream and Burt's bees cuticle cream. It doesn't seem to help for long though. I don't know why they're still so dry or what I can do about it. Any fabulous cream that really makes a difference and isn't loaded with junk? Any simpler solutions? I'm wondering if I should just slather on vit e oil and old gloves before bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 12:58 AM

Licensed nail tech and educator here. Get a mix of oils you may have on hand (jojoba, sweet almond, avocado, sunflower, safflower, and grapeseed are the top of my long list), and mix in some salt (if cuticles aren't cracked) or sugar (if cuticles are cracked), and scrub the mixture in little circles around your nail beds and cuticles and entire hands. Best to do it before bed every night, because the oils will have a chance to penetrate and not be washed off, etc. By all means, if you can sleep w/ gloves on, do it, to keep the oils off your face if you are worried about that.
I use a mix of oils and brown sugar to wash all but pits and privates every day, and have little need for lotion, and am SCALY from tanning right now in the winter weather.
Let me know if you need any other help. It would help if you did the scrub when your hands are softened from water (shower, bath, dishes, etc.).
#3 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 12:58 AM

Olive oil works wonders - I turned my boyfriend onto that stuff for his gnarly elbows and he keeps slathering olive oil on everytime we get a small dish of it at Italian restaurants

Wear gloves while cleaning. I always used to get hand infections (small cracks on the sides of my fingers that itched and itched) from fungal infections if I either used:

- Old rubber gloves that had moisture trapped in them, causing bacteria buildup OR
- Using things like windex or other cleaners and using the sponge, rag, or paper towels with my bare hands.
#4 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 AM

Yeah, what solidcitizqueen said!!! I also rub unrefined shea butter into them after doing the sugar scrub then I cover them all night. She told me this at the beginning of the cold season and I've not had ANY problems all year! My hands get SUPER dry and cracked and painful every year and I have never been able to find a lotion that has worked. This however has worked wonders! It's the best. I got the sugar scrub from trader joes but you could make one pretty easily using oils like, grapeseed, jojoba, safflower, sunflower, hemp, vit e, etc. Anything that is absorbed easily by skin.

hth and that your hands feel better! this is like a treat

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#5 of 9 Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Will try jojoba and sugar tonight. And then just any cream after I wash it off?

Sometimes I do quickly clean some things without gloves. Could be that they are getting irritated. I know when I do anything with my hands they seem to feel drier (i.e. folding laundry, getting two kids bundled up in 50 layers, etc).
#6 of 9 Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 AM

I've had this too. It's SO painful. I had good luck exfoliating and then applying lanolin..Lansinoh is a good brand. Its the same stuff you put on cracked nipples . You can exfoliate and then apply the lanolin and then wrap your hands in hot wet towels. It feels amazing. You can also apply the lanolin and sleep with gloves on, or just apply it normally, like lotion.

HTH's
#7 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 AM

Okay this is exactly what I have been dealing with forever! I dread getting my hands wet if I know I can't put lotion on them right away because I know they will feel so awful and dry and my cuticles are always so dry and yucky. You would think I was a construction worker the way my hands look without good lotion on them. I will have to try the sugar scrub. I've been using some kind of Sally Hansen hand lotion because it has lots of different oils and that is the only lotion that helps but hey if I can do it myself that's way better.

Melanie
#8 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Sometimes I do quickly clean some things without gloves. Could be that they are getting irritated. I know when I do anything with my hands they seem to feel drier (i.e. folding laundry, getting two kids bundled up in 50 layers, etc).
The exact same thing keeps happening to me. Everytime I fold the laundry, my hands get horribly dry. Could it be irritation from the detergent?

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#9 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Sounds like your detergent isn't rinsing all the way through. Use less, use vinegar in the rinse cycle, or use some detergent and add some baking soda to the wash. Or, you can just substitute baking soda for your detergent completely.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page